Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
In the novel, the motivations of people are often open to question. Discuss the significance of the ambiguity of characters' motivations.
1) Are K.'s motivations clear? What are his possible motivations for being with Frieda? Do his motivations make a difference? What do you think of K.'s argument that his motivations don't necessarily matter?
2) What are conflicting reports of Frieda's motivations? How ambiguous are her motives? How important is it...
This section contains 1,665 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)