|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. King stipulated there was something in the universe that justified Cullen Bryant when he said what?
2. When did the U.S. Supreme Court declare segregation laws unconstitutional?
3. When did King receive his Bachelor of Divinity degree from Crozer Seminary?
4. After being convicted for failing to obey a police officer, who paid King's fine on 4 September 1958?
5. Just prior to Brightman's death, King initiated his study of which philosopher with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did King observe that Ghana symbolized?
2. Why was Mrs. Rosa Parks arrested on 1 December 1955?
3. Why did King view 6 December 1955 as a day he would have to return to earth?
4. What did King observe about love?
5. How did King view Reinhold Niebuhr?
6. When did King begin a search to eliminate social evil?
7. How did King's behavior reflect upon his perceived stereotype whites typically had of blacks?
8. Why did King regard 1958 as particularly difficult?
9. What was it King conveyed about his use of the pronoun "I" in his account of the Montgomery Movement?
10. What did King note about the Great Depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast King's opinions of the violence in Watts in 1965 with that in Chicago in 1966, and the subsequent successes and failures of both. How did he perceive slums in both environments? What did King discern resulted from these riots? How did he connect fighting against poverty with racial justice? How did the nonviolent movement encounter a crisis in the North? What did the drives seek in both cities?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the initial writing in Chapter 32 in which King elaborated on his view that "Life is a continual story of shattered dreams." Address points he made concerning Mahatma Gandhi, Woodrow Wilson, and the Apostle Paul. What was it individuals sought? King defined the story of life as being what? How could one be happy if they never achieved their goal?
Essay Topic 3
King frequently used the analogies of being on mountaintops or in valleys within his writings to illustrate his points. What are various examples of other times King employed the analogy tool to convey a point?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)