|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hofstadter describe Grover Cleveland's economic policies?
2. Who was responsible for organizing the League of Nations after World War I?
3. What did Theodore Roosevelt believe the Spanish-American War would produce in the United States?
4. How does Hofstadter view Franklin Roosevelt?
5. What criticism did Franklin Roosevelt have of Herbert Hoover while campaigning for president?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the meaning of the phrase "civil liberties." What civil liberties did the Founders wish for all American citizens to have? How does the Constitution affect the civil liberties of American citizens? Which groups of Americans were not initially guaranteed all civil liberties as described by the Constitution and when did they receive those liberties?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how war and economic crises have affected American politics and economic policies in the 20th century. What political and social policies have arisen as a direct result of international conflict? How did the Great Depression change the way Americans view their economy? How has a global society affected the economic practices of the United States?
Essay Topic 3
What social reforms are credited to Thomas Jefferson? How did Jefferson's personal life affect his social policies? How did Jefferson's social philosophies affect his national policies as President?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)