|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hofstadter, why did the League of Nations fail?
2. How does Hofstadter characterize American culture in the late nineteenth century?
3. What did the National Recovery Act of 1933 attempt to accomplish?
4. How did the business barons of the Gilded Age justify their wealth?
5. What were some of Theodore Roosevelt's favorite pastimes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's economic policies?
2. How did Herbert Hoover rise to power?
3. Describe Herbert Hoover.
4. Why did William Jennings Bryan resign as Woodrow Wilson's Secretary of War?
5. Why did Franklin D. Roosevelt oppose big business?
6. How did the business elite justify their great wealth in the late 19th century?
7. Which political party dominated the United States after the Civil War and why?
8. Describe William Jennings Bryan.
9. What was the free silver issue?
10. What was the League of Nations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has the economy of the United States changed since its inception? What differing economic principles have been implemented throughout the years? What cycle of economic policy is evident in Hosfstadter's book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe John C. Calhoun's perception of African Americans and the institution of slavery. What concerns did Calhoun have for the emancipation of slaves? Why did Calhoun feel the institution of slavery was necessary? What theory did Calhoun have about the relationship between slavery and equality among white citizens? What dangers were inherent in Calhoun's ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the impact of the Populist movement on the economy of the United States. Which groups of Americans were attracted to the Populist movement and why? What role did social reform play in the Populist platform? What was the economic platform of the Populist movement? What could have caused the demise of the Populist Party?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)