|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Herbert Hoover attend school?
2. How did the business barons of the Gilded Age justify their wealth?
3. What policy did Woodrow Wilson create to promote partnerships between government and corporations?
4. With which political group did Theodore Roosevelt associate?
5. How does Hofstadter describe Herbert Hoover's economic policies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the business elite justify their great wealth in the late 19th century?
2. Why was Theodore Roosevelt considered a Conservative Progressive?
3. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's economic policies?
4. What was the free silver issue?
5. How did Herbert Hoover rise to power?
6. How did Theodore Roosevelt affect American politics after his term in office?
7. How did Grover Cleveland's administration impact the economy of the United States?
8. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's career?
9. What was the League of Nations?
10. How did the Second World War affect Roosevelt's career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the balance of power the Founders of the Constitution wished to achieve in the new American government. Why did they wish to have power divided between the federal and state level? How did they wish for power to be divided among citizens? What dangers did they see in having one group hold too much power?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Hofstadter consider Wendell Phillips to be one of the most effective leaders of the abolitionist movement? What specific concerns did Phillips address about the emancipation of slaves? What strategies did he develop for integrating slaves into a free society?
Essay Topic 3
How did Theodore Roosevelt and the Progressive movement affect the economic and social climate of the early 20th century? How did the Progressive movement affect the American industry? What effect did Roosevelt's political policies have on the moral climate of the United States?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)