|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which late 19th century president does Hofstadter refer to as "dogmatic, obtuse, and insensitive?"
2. What conflict did Herbert Hoover have with Franklin D. Roosevelt?
3. What economic changes occurred during the Gilded Age?
4. Who were William Jennings Bryan's constituents?
5. How did Woodrow Wilson view politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Herbert Hoover.
2. How did Theodore Roosevelt affect American politics after his term in office?
3. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's economic policies?
4. Why did Franklin D. Roosevelt oppose big business?
5. How did Woodrow Wilson rise to power?
6. What was the "Gilded Age"?
7. What was the League of Nations?
8. Why did Theodore Roosevelt enter politics?
9. How did the business elite justify their great wealth in the late 19th century?
10. Why did William Jennings Bryan resign as Woodrow Wilson's Secretary of War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What social reforms are credited to Thomas Jefferson? How did Jefferson's personal life affect his social policies? How did Jefferson's social philosophies affect his national policies as President?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the balance of power the Founders of the Constitution wished to achieve in the new American government. Why did they wish to have power divided between the federal and state level? How did they wish for power to be divided among citizens? What dangers did they see in having one group hold too much power?
Essay Topic 3
What constitutes a laissez-faire attitude towards an economy? Describe examples of laissez-faire policies. How do laissez-faire policies assist in the economic growth and development of a nation? What dangers are inherent in laissez-faire economics?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)