|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic program did Franklin Roosevelt initiate as president?
2. To which politician does Hofstadter compare Woodrow Wilson?
3. Which political philosophies did Woodrow Wilson admire?
4. What did the Great Depression force Herbert Hoover to do?
5. What was the economic result of Grover Cleveland's insistence on keeping the gold standard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the League of Nations?
2. How did Woodrow Wilson rise to power?
3. How did Theodore Roosevelt affect American politics after his term in office?
4. Why did Franklin D. Roosevelt oppose big business?
5. Describe Franklin D. Roosevelt.
6. What was the free silver issue?
7. Why did William Jennings Bryan resign as Woodrow Wilson's Secretary of War?
8. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's economic policies?
9. How did Grover Cleveland's administration impact the economy of the United States?
10. Describe Herbert Hoover.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the philosophies and events that affected Abraham Lincoln's attitude towards slavery. According to Hofstadter, what issues were important to Lincoln? Why did Lincoln participate in a recolonization society? What prompted Lincoln to finally issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the meaning of the phrase "civil liberties." What civil liberties did the Founders wish for all American citizens to have? How does the Constitution affect the civil liberties of American citizens? Which groups of Americans were not initially guaranteed all civil liberties as described by the Constitution and when did they receive those liberties?
Essay Topic 3
Describe capitalism. How has capitalism affected the economy of the United States? How are the principles of economic capitalism associated with civil rights as they are outlined in the Constitution?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)