|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic changes occurred during the Gilded Age?
2. How did Woodrow Wilson view politics?
3. In which famous trial did William Jennings Bryan argue against the teaching of evolution?
4. What was the economic result of Grover Cleveland's insistence on keeping the gold standard?
5. With what political party was Franklin Roosevelt associated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Theodore Roosevelt affect American politics after his term in office?
2. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's career?
3. Describe Herbert Hoover.
4. Describe William Jennings Bryan.
5. What was Woodrow Wilson's philosophy concerning World War I?
6. Which political party dominated the United States after the Civil War and why?
7. What was The New Deal?
8. Why was Theodore Roosevelt considered a Conservative Progressive?
9. How did Grover Cleveland's administration impact the economy of the United States?
10. What was the free silver issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the balance of power the Founders of the Constitution wished to achieve in the new American government. Why did they wish to have power divided between the federal and state level? How did they wish for power to be divided among citizens? What dangers did they see in having one group hold too much power?
Essay Topic 2
Describe John C. Calhoun's perception of African Americans and the institution of slavery. What concerns did Calhoun have for the emancipation of slaves? Why did Calhoun feel the institution of slavery was necessary? What theory did Calhoun have about the relationship between slavery and equality among white citizens? What dangers were inherent in Calhoun's ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the impact of the Populist movement on the economy of the United States. Which groups of Americans were attracted to the Populist movement and why? What role did social reform play in the Populist platform? What was the economic platform of the Populist movement? What could have caused the demise of the Populist Party?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)