|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was responsible for organizing the League of Nations after World War I?
2. Who succeeded Woodrow Wilson as President of the United States?
3. Which late 19th century president does Hofstadter refer to as "dogmatic, obtuse, and insensitive?"
4. What economic changes occurred during the Gilded Age?
5. How does Hofstadter view Franklin Roosevelt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was The New Deal?
2. Why did Theodore Roosevelt enter politics?
3. Describe Franklin D. Roosevelt.
4. How did Grover Cleveland's administration impact the economy of the United States?
5. Describe Woodrow Wilson.
6. Why did Franklin D. Roosevelt oppose big business?
7. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's career?
8. Describe Herbert Hoover.
9. What was the "Gilded Age"?
10. How did the business elite justify their great wealth in the late 19th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the meaning of the phrase "civil liberties." What civil liberties did the Founders wish for all American citizens to have? How does the Constitution affect the civil liberties of American citizens? Which groups of Americans were not initially guaranteed all civil liberties as described by the Constitution and when did they receive those liberties?
Essay Topic 2
What impact did the Gilded Age have on the growth of the United States? How did the United States expand during this era and how did that expansion affect the economy? What social concerns rose during the Gilded Age and how were they addressed by America's leadership?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the impact of the Populist movement on the economy of the United States. Which groups of Americans were attracted to the Populist movement and why? What role did social reform play in the Populist platform? What was the economic platform of the Populist movement? What could have caused the demise of the Populist Party?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)