|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the economic result of Grover Cleveland's insistence on keeping the gold standard?
2. How does Hofstadter view Franklin Roosevelt?
3. According to Hofstadter, which politician represented the interests of those who survived Reconstruction in the South?
4. What disease paralyzed Franklin Roosevelt from the waist down?
5. At what university was Woodrow Wilson president?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was The New Deal?
2. What was the "Gilded Age"?
3. Why did Franklin D. Roosevelt oppose big business?
4. Why did William Jennings Bryan resign as Woodrow Wilson's Secretary of War?
5. Describe Woodrow Wilson.
6. What was Woodrow Wilson's philosophy concerning World War I?
7. Describe Franklin D. Roosevelt.
8. How did Theodore Roosevelt affect American politics after his term in office?
9. How did Woodrow Wilson rise to power?
10. Describe William Jennings Bryan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the impact of the free silver movement on the economy of the United States. Why did the differing economic and political factions wish for different standards? What factors led to the choice of the gold standard?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the legal concerns Lincoln had about initiating the Civil War. What economic concerns did Lincoln have to consider before declaring war on the South? How and why did Lincoln force the first battle without actually commanding Union troops to attack?
Essay Topic 3
What role did John C. Calhoun play in the development of American political practices? Describe Calhoun's theoretic plans for the electoral process and administration of laws and government policies. What dangers were inherent in Calhoun's ideas?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)