|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic changes occurred during the Gilded Age?
2. According to Hofstadter, which politician represented the interests of those who survived Reconstruction in the South?
3. In which famous trial did William Jennings Bryan argue against the teaching of evolution?
4. Why did Theodore Roosevelt enter politics?
5. How does Hofstadter view Franklin Roosevelt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's career?
2. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's economic policies?
3. How did Grover Cleveland's administration impact the economy of the United States?
4. How did Woodrow Wilson rise to power?
5. Describe Herbert Hoover.
6. What was the free silver issue?
7. What was Woodrow Wilson's philosophy concerning World War I?
8. Why was Theodore Roosevelt considered a Conservative Progressive?
9. Which political party dominated the United States after the Civil War and why?
10. Describe Theodore Roosevelt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the balance of power the Founders of the Constitution wished to achieve in the new American government. Why did they wish to have power divided between the federal and state level? How did they wish for power to be divided among citizens? What dangers did they see in having one group hold too much power?
Essay Topic 2
How has the economy of the United States changed since its inception? What differing economic principles have been implemented throughout the years? What cycle of economic policy is evident in Hosfstadter's book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the impact of the free silver movement on the economy of the United States. Why did the differing economic and political factions wish for different standards? What factors led to the choice of the gold standard?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)