|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which position did William Jennings Bryan serve in Woodrow Wilson's cabinet?
2. Who succeeded Theodore Roosevelt as president?
3. How does Hofstadter characterize American culture in the late nineteenth century?
4. How did Theodore Roosevelt feel about America's entry into World War I?
5. To which politician does Hofstadter compare Woodrow Wilson?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Theodore Roosevelt affect American politics after his term in office?
2. How did the business elite justify their great wealth in the late 19th century?
3. How did Grover Cleveland's administration impact the economy of the United States?
4. What was the free silver issue?
5. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's economic policies?
6. Describe Woodrow Wilson.
7. How did the Second World War affect Roosevelt's career?
8. Describe Theodore Roosevelt.
9. What was Woodrow Wilson's philosophy concerning World War I?
10. Why did Theodore Roosevelt enter politics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Theodore Roosevelt and the Progressive movement affect the economic and social climate of the early 20th century? How did the Progressive movement affect the American industry? What effect did Roosevelt's political policies have on the moral climate of the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Describe John C. Calhoun's perception of African Americans and the institution of slavery. What concerns did Calhoun have for the emancipation of slaves? Why did Calhoun feel the institution of slavery was necessary? What theory did Calhoun have about the relationship between slavery and equality among white citizens? What dangers were inherent in Calhoun's ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the philosophies and events that affected the Founders of the United States Constitution. What political experiences affected the Founders? What economic experiences affected their philosophies and policies? What did the Founders want to change about their old government when designing this new nation?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)