|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hofstadter characterize American culture in the late nineteenth century?
2. Which organization was credited for preserving European economies after World War I?
3. With what political party was Franklin Roosevelt associated?
4. What political changes occurred during the Gilded Age?
5. With which political party is Woodrow Wilson associated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Theodore Roosevelt affect American politics after his term in office?
2. How did Herbert Hoover rise to power?
3. What was Woodrow Wilson's philosophy concerning World War I?
4. Describe Herbert Hoover.
5. Describe Theodore Roosevelt.
6. How did Grover Cleveland's administration impact the economy of the United States?
7. What was the free silver issue?
8. What was The New Deal?
9. Which political party dominated the United States after the Civil War and why?
10. How did Woodrow Wilson rise to power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John C. Calhoun's perception of African Americans and the institution of slavery. What concerns did Calhoun have for the emancipation of slaves? Why did Calhoun feel the institution of slavery was necessary? What theory did Calhoun have about the relationship between slavery and equality among white citizens? What dangers were inherent in Calhoun's ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the balance of power the Founders of the Constitution wished to achieve in the new American government. Why did they wish to have power divided between the federal and state level? How did they wish for power to be divided among citizens? What dangers did they see in having one group hold too much power?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Hofstadter consider Wendell Phillips to be one of the most effective leaders of the abolitionist movement? What specific concerns did Phillips address about the emancipation of slaves? What strategies did he develop for integrating slaves into a free society?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)