|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Founders, which group of people should have the most say in the government?
2. What did the Southwesterners want Andrew Jackson to do?
3. How did the Founders separate power at the Federal level?
4. According to John C. Calhoun, what created equality among white Americans?
5. What did John C. Calhoun believe capitalism would produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did some free states in the West not want freed slaves residing in their states?
2. How did Andrew Jackson ensure that his policies would be enforced long after he left office?
3. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
4. How did the American aristocracy establish their social hierarchy in the 18th and 19th centuries?
5. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
6. Why were the Founders attempting to break off their association with Great Britain?
7. Describe John C. Calhoun.
8. Why does Hofstadter consider Wendell Phillips the most effective abolitionist?
9. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
10. Why did John C. Calhoun object to having the phrase "all men are created equal" in the Constitution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Theodore Roosevelt and the Progressive movement affect the economic and social climate of the early 20th century? How did the Progressive movement affect the American industry? What effect did Roosevelt's political policies have on the moral climate of the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the philosophies and events that affected Abraham Lincoln's attitude towards slavery. According to Hofstadter, what issues were important to Lincoln? Why did Lincoln participate in a recolonization society? What prompted Lincoln to finally issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
Essay Topic 3
What is "wage slavery" and how did it affect Americans in the 19th century? How did wage slavery differ from the slavery endured by many African-Americans at that time? What strategies were developed to end wage slavery?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)