|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Wendell Phillips's main goal?
2. According to Hofstadter, how is Andrew Jackson often depicted?
3. What changes did Thomas Jefferson make in Virginia?
4. What office did Thomas Jefferson hold in Virginia?
5. According to Hofstadter, what main problem did free slaves face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
2. Describe John C. Calhoun.
3. How did Abraham Lincoln rise to power?
4. How did the Bank of America contribute to Andrew Jackson's rise to power?
5. How did the Founders plan to meet the needs of differing classes and interests?
6. Whom did Thomas Jefferson believe should have the most say in the government?
7. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
8. How did the American aristocracy establish their social hierarchy in the 18th and 19th centuries?
9. What other form of oppression did Wendell Phillips seek to undermine besides slavery?
10. What opinion did the Founders have of democracy in general?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Theodore Roosevelt and the Progressive movement affect the economic and social climate of the early 20th century? How did the Progressive movement affect the American industry? What effect did Roosevelt's political policies have on the moral climate of the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the balance of power the Founders of the Constitution wished to achieve in the new American government. Why did they wish to have power divided between the federal and state level? How did they wish for power to be divided among citizens? What dangers did they see in having one group hold too much power?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the impact of the Populist movement on the economy of the United States. Which groups of Americans were attracted to the Populist movement and why? What role did social reform play in the Populist platform? What was the economic platform of the Populist movement? What could have caused the demise of the Populist Party?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)