|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John C. Calhoun wish to preserve?
2. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in Andrew Jackson's cabinet?
3. What changes did Thomas Jefferson make in Virginia?
4. To which political leader does Hofstadter compare John C. Calhoun?
5. Who are the Founding Fathers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John C. Calhoun.
2. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
3. How did Andrew Jackson ensure that his policies would be enforced long after he left office?
4. Why didn't the Founders want to establish a monarchy?
5. Why were the Founders attempting to break off their association with Great Britain?
6. Which citizens did the Founders originally intend to give the most power and why?
7. Why did Wendell Phillips criticize capitalism?
8. How did Abraham Lincoln rise to power?
9. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
10. How did Abraham Lincoln initiate war without ordering the Union Army to attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe capitalism. How has capitalism affected the economy of the United States? How are the principles of economic capitalism associated with civil rights as they are outlined in the Constitution?
Essay Topic 2
Describe John C. Calhoun's perception of African Americans and the institution of slavery. What concerns did Calhoun have for the emancipation of slaves? Why did Calhoun feel the institution of slavery was necessary? What theory did Calhoun have about the relationship between slavery and equality among white citizens? What dangers were inherent in Calhoun's ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Hofstadter consider Wendell Phillips to be one of the most effective leaders of the abolitionist movement? What specific concerns did Phillips address about the emancipation of slaves? What strategies did he develop for integrating slaves into a free society?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)