|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which scientific theory became popular during the Gilded Age?
(a) Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
(b) Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
(c) The Theory of Quantum Mechanics.
(d) The Big Bang Theory.
2. Who won the presidential election in 1916?
(a) Warren G. Harding.
(b) William Howard Taft.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
3. How does Hofstadter view Grover Cleveland's presidency?
(a) He led the country to become a world power.
(b) He was the greatest politician of the late 19th century.
(c) His economic theories were far beyond his time.
(d) He was the worst politician of the late 19th century.
4. According to Hofstadter, why did the League of Nations fail?
(a) The plan did not account for economic realities.
(b) Too many tensions still existed between former rivals.
(c) The world was not socially ready for such a union.
(d) Time and distance were too great for most leaders.
5. What did the Great Depression force Herbert Hoover to do?
(a) Freeze federal funds.
(b) Close private banking system.
(c) Implement policies that he opposed philosophically.
(d) Use the National Guard to control private citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Theodore Roosevelt enter politics?
2. According to Hofstadter, which politician represented the interests of those who survived Reconstruction in the South?
3. How did the business barons of the Gilded Age justify their wealth?
4. What problem did deflation cause during the Gilded Age?
5. What concern did William Jennings Bryan voice over Woodrow Wilson's support of Great Britain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Second World War affect Roosevelt's career?
2. How did William Jennings Bryan rise to power?
3. What was Woodrow Wilson's philosophy concerning World War I?
4. What was the free silver issue?
5. Why did William Jennings Bryan resign as Woodrow Wilson's Secretary of War?
6. How did Herbert Hoover rise to power?
7. What was The New Deal?
8. Describe Franklin D. Roosevelt.
9. Describe Herbert Hoover.
10. Why did Franklin D. Roosevelt oppose big business?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)