|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what political party was Alexander Hamilton associated?
(a) The Democratic-Republicans.
(b) The Whigs.
(c) The Federalists.
(d) The Progressive Party.
2. Which institution created by Alexander Hamilton did Thomas Jefferson allow to expire?
(a) The Congressional Congress.
(b) The Bank of North America.
(c) The Court of North America.
(d) The First Bank of the United States.
3. What did the recolonization society want Abraham Lincoln to do?
(a) Relocate slaves to Africa.
(b) Free the children of current slaves.
(c) Present their program to Congress as an Act.
(d) Relocate slaves to Mexico.
4. Why were the Founders willing to let selfish men follow their own interests?
(a) They did not want to control behavior with the government.
(b) They thought man was inherently good.
(c) They did not want to control the law.
(d) They understood the nature of man.
5. What office did Thomas Jefferson hold in Virginia?
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Secretary of Commerce.
(d) Secretary of the Treasury.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hofstadter, why did Abraham Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
2. What was the Emancipation Proclamation?
3. What type of lifestyle did Thomas Jefferson promote?
4. How does Hofstadter describe Wendell Phillips's political affiliation?
5. Which act gave Abraham Lincoln the opportunity to use slavery as a political issue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hofstadter consider Wendell Phillips the most effective abolitionist?
2. How did the Founders plan to meet the needs of differing classes and interests?
3. What was The New Deal?
4. How did Woodrow Wilson rise to power?
5. How did the Second World War affect Roosevelt's career?
6. What was the free silver issue?
7. What was the "Gilded Age"?
8. Why was John C. Calhoun forced to resign as vice-president?
9. How did Andrew Jackson destroy the Bank of America?
10. Which citizens did the Founders originally intend to give the most power and why?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)