|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the recolonization society want to send African-Americans?
2. Which political theory is John C. Calhoun attributed with developing?
(a) Corporate capitalist.
(b) American Socialist.
3. What type of politician was Thomas Jefferson?
4. According to Hofstadter, what type of politician was Abraham Lincoln?
(c) Strong conservative.
(d) Moderate conservative.
5. According to Hofstadter, how is Andrew Jackson often depicted?
(a) As an arrogant aristocrat.
(b) As an aggressive proponent for military conquest.
(c) As an opponent of aristocratic privilege.
(d) As one of the most influential men in history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice among Northern factories did John C. Calhoun condemn?
2. How did Wendell Phillips view the culture of the South?
3. To which phrase in the Declaration of Independence did John C. Calhoun object?
4. How many Southern states had seceded before Abraham Lincoln took office?
5. Who won the presidential election in 1828?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hofstadter consider Wendell Phillips the most effective abolitionist?
2. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
3. What opinion did the Founders have of democracy in general?
4. According to Hofstadter, what was Abraham Lincoln's philosophy on slavery?
5. Describe Wendell Phillips.
6. What other form of oppression did Wendell Phillips seek to undermine besides slavery?
7. Whom did Thomas Jefferson believe should have the most say in the government?
8. How did the Founders plan to meet the needs of differing classes and interests?
9. How did the Bank of America contribute to Andrew Jackson's rise to power?
10. Why did some free states in the West not want freed slaves residing in their states?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)