|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in Andrew Jackson's cabinet?
(a) Secretary of War.
(c) Attorney General.
(d) Secretary of State.
2. With what movement is William Lloyd Garrison associated?
(a) The progressive movement.
(b) The democratic movement.
(c) The abolitionist movement.
(d) The socialist movement.
3. How did the Founders feel about democracy?
(a) It was effective as long as the people believed in the nation.
(b) It was a limited method of protecting liberty.
(c) It would eventually dissolve into an oligarchy.
(d) It was the perfect method of protecting liberty.
4. What did the Founders believe about man?
(a) That he will succeed only when free.
(b) That he is evil and selfish.
(c) That he must be led to make moral and correct decisions.
(d) That he is inherently good.
5. Why did Abraham Lincoln prefer to read aloud?
(a) To sound out new words.
(b) To ease his stuttering.
(c) To hear his inflection.
(d) To hone his oratory skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of Americans did Thomas Jefferson believe should have the most voting power?
2. Which institution created by Alexander Hamilton did Thomas Jefferson allow to expire?
3. What was Wendell Phillips's main goal?
4. How does Hofstadter describe Abraham Lincoln's concern over the issue of slavery in America?
5. Why were the Founders willing to let selfish men follow their own interests?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
2. How did Abraham Lincoln rise to power?
3. What was John C. Calhoun's philosophy on slavery?
4. How did the American aristocracy establish their social hierarchy in the 18th and 19th centuries?
5. How did Andrew Jackson destroy the Bank of America?
6. What was abolitionism?
7. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
8. How did the Bank of America contribute to Andrew Jackson's rise to power?
9. Why did some free states in the West not want freed slaves residing in their states?
10. Describe John C. Calhoun.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)