|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group of Americans did Thomas Jefferson distrust the most?
(c) Elected leaders.
2. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in South Carolina?
(a) Secretary of State.
3. On the American frontier, how was social hierarchy gained?
(a) Through invention and industry.
(b) Through family connections and marriage.
(c) Through military and financial success.
(d) Through political power.
4. With what political party was Abraham Lincoln associated in Illinois?
(a) The Whigs.
(b) The Progressive Party.
(c) The Federalists.
(d) The Democratic-Republicans.
5. What did Wendell Phillips want to prevent people from becoming?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Wendell Phillips view the culture of the South?
2. Which state did Andrew Jackson threaten to conquer in Chapter 4?
3. How did Andrew Jackson view America's social order?
4. How does Hofstadter describe abolitionism?
5. What form of oppression did Wendell Phillips condemn in the North?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an agrarian lifestyle?
2. Why did the Populists see the Bank of America as an undemocratic institution?
3. What was The New Deal?
4. Why did John C. Calhoun object to having the phrase "all men are created equal" in the Constitution?
5. How did Herbert Hoover rise to power?
6. How did the Bank of America contribute to Andrew Jackson's rise to power?
7. What other form of oppression did Wendell Phillips seek to undermine besides slavery?
8. What concerns did white laborers have over slavery?
9. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
10. What interests did Thomas Jefferson's political party seek to protect?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)