|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Abraham Lincoln initially plan for the war to last?
(a) Three months.
(b) One year.
(c) Between twelve and eighteen months.
(d) Six months.
2. What changes did Thomas Jefferson make in Virginia?
(a) The Virginia legislature was divided into two branches.
(b) Modest social reforms.
(c) He paved the way for emancipation in Virginia.
(d) Radical economic reforms.
3. Which groups of people did the Southwesterners wish to give voting rights?
(a) Non-white males.
(b) Property owners.
(c) Non-property owners.
(d) All soldiers.
4. How does Hofstadter describe Abraham Lincoln's concern over the issue of slavery in America?
5. What concern did Abraham Lincoln have about white laborers?
(a) They would revolt.
(b) They would leave for Canada.
(c) They could not compete with slave labor.
(d) Poor working conditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hofstadter, how is Andrew Jackson often depicted?
2. What did the Founders design the Constitution to protect?
3. Who were the Southwesterners?
4. With what political party was Thomas Jefferson associated?
5. How did the Founders separate power at the Federal level?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "wage slavery?"
2. How did the American aristocracy establish their social hierarchy in the 18th and 19th centuries?
3. What other form of oppression did Wendell Phillips seek to undermine besides slavery?
4. What opinion did the Founders have of democracy in general?
5. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
6. What was John C. Calhoun's philosophy on slavery?
7. How did Andrew Jackson destroy the Bank of America?
8. Why did Wendell Phillips criticize capitalism?
9. Why did the Populists see the Bank of America as an undemocratic institution?
10. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)