|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Abraham Lincoln become Speaker of the House in Illinois?
2. Why were the Founders hesitant to establish a new monarchy?
(a) One man could not run a country effectively.
(b) Too many different philosophies existed to choose one man.
(c) A monarch rules in his own interests.
(d) There was no royal bloodline from which to choose a King.
3. What changes did Thomas Jefferson make in Virginia?
(a) Radical economic reforms.
(b) He paved the way for emancipation in Virginia.
(c) Modest social reforms.
(d) The Virginia legislature was divided into two branches.
4. Why did Wendell Phillips advocate secession from the South?
(a) To separate the Union from Southern immorality.
(b) To damage the Southern economy.
(c) To prevent slavery from entering the North.
(d) To end the war.
5. What practice among Northern factories did John C. Calhoun condemn?
(a) The employment of women.
(b) Wage slavery.
(c) Labor unions.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose political theory did Thomas Jefferson agree?
2. How did Thomas Jefferson feel about property rights?
3. With what class were most of the Founders associated?
4. How does Hofstadter describe abolitionism?
5. On the American frontier, how was social hierarchy gained?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John C. Calhoun object to having the phrase "all men are created equal" in the Constitution?
2. Why did Franklin D. Roosevelt oppose big business?
3. Describe John C. Calhoun.
4. Describe Theodore Roosevelt.
5. How did William Jennings Bryan rise to power?
6. What was the "Gilded Age"?
7. How did Herbert Hoover rise to power?
8. Why does Hofstadter compare John C. Calhoun to Karl Marx?
9. Which political party dominated the United States after the Civil War and why?
10. Describe William Jennings Bryan.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)