|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to John C. Calhoun, what was the safest way for blacks and whites to interact?
(a) From different countries.
(b) Through slavery.
(c) As equals.
(d) In a competitive market.
2. Where did the recolonization society want to send African-Americans?
3. Who were the Southwesterners?
(a) One of Andrew Jackson's military regiments
(b) A group of politicians from Kentucky and Tennessee
(c) Andrew Jackson's constituents from Kentucky and Tennessee.
(d) A group of investors led by Andrew Jackson.
4. With what political party was Abraham Lincoln associated in Illinois?
(a) The Democratic-Republicans.
(b) The Whigs.
(c) The Progressive Party.
(d) The Federalists.
5. What office did Thomas Jefferson hold in Virginia?
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Secretary of the Treasury.
(d) Secretary of Commerce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who won the presidential election in 1832?
2. With what movement is Wendell Phillips associated?
3. On the American frontier, how was social hierarchy gained?
4. According to Hofstadter, what main problem did free slaves face?
5. How does Hofstadter describe John C. Calhoun's economic philosophies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Andrew Jackson destroy the Bank of America?
2. Why did John C. Calhoun object to having the phrase "all men are created equal" in the Constitution?
3. Describe Woodrow Wilson.
4. What was John C. Calhoun's philosophy on slavery?
5. Why were the Founders attempting to break off their association with Great Britain?
6. How did Woodrow Wilson rise to power?
7. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
8. What opinion did the Founders have about human nature?
9. Describe Herbert Hoover.
10. How did the business elite justify their great wealth in the late 19th century?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)