|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what political party was Abraham Lincoln associated in Illinois?
(a) The Whigs.
(b) The Democratic-Republicans.
(c) The Federalists.
(d) The Progressive Party.
2. How did Wendell Phillips view the culture of the North?
(a) As a playground for greedy capitalists.
(b) As a bourgeois but moral society.
(c) As the bulwark of modern society.
(d) As a feudal civilization.
3. Which groups of people did the Southwesterners wish to give voting rights?
(a) All soldiers.
(b) Non-property owners.
(c) Property owners.
(d) Non-white males.
4. How does Hofstadter describe Andrew Jackson's economic policies?
(d) Corporate capitalism.
5. What form of rivalry did the Founders wish to allow in their new country?
(a) Interstate rivalries.
(b) Class change.
(c) Land acquisition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Founders design the Constitution to protect?
2. What office did Thomas Jefferson hold in Virginia?
3. How did Andrew Jackson acquire massive debts?
4. With what class were most of the Founders associated?
5. At what age did Abraham Lincoln become Speaker of the House in Illinois?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the American aristocracy establish their social hierarchy in the 18th and 19th centuries?
2. Why does Hofstadter compare John C. Calhoun to Karl Marx?
3. Describe Wendell Phillips.
4. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
5. What opinion did the Founders have of democracy in general?
6. Why does Hofstadter consider Wendell Phillips the most effective abolitionist?
7. How did Andrew Jackson destroy the Bank of America?
8. What is "wage slavery?"
9. Why did John C. Calhoun object to having the phrase "all men are created equal" in the Constitution?
10. Why was John C. Calhoun forced to resign as vice-president?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)