|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Wendell Phillips place himself in danger?
(a) He was constantly followed by mobs.
(b) He endorsed violent protests.
(c) He hid runaway slaves on his own property.
(d) He argued publicly with slave auctioneers.
2. What was Wendell Phillips's main goal?
(a) To end slavery through legal channels.
(b) To convince people there was a practical end to slavery.
(c) To end slavery through any means possible.
(d) To protect slaves who had run away from their owners.
3. How did the Founders feel about democracy?
(a) It was the perfect method of protecting liberty.
(b) It would eventually dissolve into an oligarchy.
(c) It was effective as long as the people believed in the nation.
(d) It was a limited method of protecting liberty.
4. According to Hofstadter, why did Abraham Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) To undermine the economy of the South.
(b) Slave labor was driving the price of goods up.
(c) Because slavery was immoral.
(d) He feared the rise of white slavery.
5. From which ancient philosophers did the Founders draw ideas?
(a) Aristotle and Cicero.
(b) Epicurus and Plato.
(c) Plato and Socrates.
(d) Diogenes and Socrates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Thomas Jefferson believe most of the government's power should lie?
2. How did Thomas Jefferson feel about property rights?
3. Why did Wendell Phillips advocate secession from the South?
4. What did John C. Calhoun believe capitalism would produce?
5. Which institution created by Alexander Hamilton did Thomas Jefferson allow to expire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Founders attempting to break off their association with Great Britain?
2. What opinion did the Founders have of democracy in general?
3. What other form of oppression did Wendell Phillips seek to undermine besides slavery?
4. Why did some free states in the West not want freed slaves residing in their states?
5. Why didn't the Founders want to establish a monarchy?
6. Why did the Populists see the Bank of America as an undemocratic institution?
7. What was John C. Calhoun's philosophy on slavery?
8. How did the Bank of America contribute to Andrew Jackson's rise to power?
9. How did Andrew Jackson destroy the Bank of America?
10. Why was John C. Calhoun forced to resign as vice-president?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)