|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which ancient philosophers did the Founders draw ideas?
(a) Diogenes and Socrates.
(b) Plato and Socrates.
(c) Aristotle and Cicero.
(d) Epicurus and Plato.
2. According to Hofstadter, what main problem did free slaves face?
(c) Voting rights.
3. According to Hofstadter, how is Andrew Jackson often depicted?
(a) As an opponent of aristocratic privilege.
(b) As one of the most influential men in history.
(c) As an aggressive proponent for military conquest.
(d) As an arrogant aristocrat.
4. According to Hofstadter, what type of politician was Abraham Lincoln?
(c) Strong conservative.
(d) Moderate conservative.
5. How did the Founders separate power at the Federal level?
(a) Between presidents, legislators, and judges.
(b) Between the members of the Presidential Cabinet.
(c) Between Congress and the President.
(d) Between the Pentagon, the Congress, and the President.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of politician was Thomas Jefferson?
2. With what class was Andrew Jackson associated?
3. What did the Emancipation Proclamation not prohibit?
4. Which institution created by Alexander Hamilton did Thomas Jefferson allow to expire?
5. What concern did Abraham Lincoln have about white laborers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was abolitionism?
2. What is "wage slavery?"
3. What other form of oppression did Wendell Phillips seek to undermine besides slavery?
4. Why did the Populists see the Bank of America as an undemocratic institution?
5. What interests did Thomas Jefferson's political party seek to protect?
6. Why did Wendell Phillips criticize capitalism?
7. What was John C. Calhoun's philosophy on slavery?
8. Why did Thomas Jefferson like Locke's political theory?
9. Describe John C. Calhoun.
10. How did Andrew Jackson destroy the Bank of America?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)