|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Founders design the Constitution to protect?
(a) The nation from outside forces.
(b) The government from the people.
(c) The laws of the nation.
(d) Freedom from interference.
2. To which phrase in the Declaration of Independence did John C. Calhoun object?
(a) Endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.
(b) All men are created equal.
(c) The Laws of Nature and of Nature's God.
(d) Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
3. Who won the presidential election in 1824?
(a) John Quincy Adams.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) William Crawford.
(d) Henry Clay.
4. Which groups of people did the Southwesterners wish to give voting rights?
(a) All soldiers.
(b) Non-property owners.
(c) Property owners.
(d) Non-white males.
5. What office did Thomas Jefferson hold in Virginia?
(a) Secretary of the Treasury.
(b) Secretary of Commerce.
(d) Secretary of State.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Abraham Lincoln become Speaker of the House in Illinois?
2. According to Hofstadter, how is Andrew Jackson often depicted?
3. On the American frontier, how was social hierarchy gained?
4. How did Wendell Phillips view the Civil War?
5. How did Wendell Phillips place himself in danger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Founders attempting to break off their association with Great Britain?
2. Why does Hofstadter compare John C. Calhoun to Karl Marx?
3. What other form of oppression did Wendell Phillips seek to undermine besides slavery?
4. How did the American aristocracy establish their social hierarchy in the 18th and 19th centuries?
5. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
6. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
7. Why did Wendell Phillips advocate secession from the South?
8. Whom did Thomas Jefferson believe should have the most say in the government?
9. Why did John C. Calhoun object to having the phrase "all men are created equal" in the Constitution?
10. What concerns did white laborers have over slavery?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)