|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Founders, which group of people should have the most say in the government?
(a) The Congress.
(b) Land owners.
(d) Men over the age of 21.
2. What did the recolonization society want Abraham Lincoln to do?
(a) Present their program to Congress as an Act.
(b) Relocate slaves to Mexico.
(c) Relocate slaves to Africa.
(d) Free the children of current slaves.
3. What changes did Thomas Jefferson make in Virginia?
(a) He paved the way for emancipation in Virginia.
(b) Modest social reforms.
(c) The Virginia legislature was divided into two branches.
(d) Radical economic reforms.
4. How did Wendell Phillips view the culture of the North?
(a) As a feudal civilization.
(b) As the bulwark of modern society.
(c) As a bourgeois but moral society.
(d) As a playground for greedy capitalists.
5. With what famous military victory is Andrew Jackson associated?
(a) The Alamo.
(b) The Battle of New Orleans.
(c) The Battle of Waterloo.
(d) The Battle of Copenhagen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which institution was responsible for loaning large sums of money in the 1820s?
2. Why did Wendell Phillips become estranged from William Lloyd Garrison?
3. What were Thomas Jefferson's interests?
4. Why did Andrew Jackson want to close down the bank or force inflation?
5. Who won the presidential election in 1824?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinion did the Founders have of democracy in general?
2. Why did Thomas Jefferson like Locke's political theory?
3. Whom did Thomas Jefferson believe should have the most say in the government?
4. Why does Hofstadter compare John C. Calhoun to Karl Marx?
5. Why did the Populists see the Bank of America as an undemocratic institution?
6. Why did Wendell Phillips criticize capitalism?
7. What concerns did white laborers have over slavery?
8. How did Abraham Lincoln initiate war without ordering the Union Army to attack?
9. How did the American aristocracy establish their social hierarchy in the 18th and 19th centuries?
10. How did the Founders plan to meet the needs of differing classes and interests?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)