|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Constitution based upon?
(a) Fragments of English political philosophy.
(b) Experience and observation.
(c) European tradition mixed with revolutionary philosophy.
(d) Greek and Roman political philosophy.
2. Which group of Americans did Thomas Jefferson distrust the most?
(b) Elected leaders.
3. What did Wendell Phillips want to prevent people from becoming?
4. What lifestyle did Thomas Jefferson abhor?
5. What did the industrial lifestyles in Britain and France produce?
(a) An equal distribution of wealth among the workers.
(b) A climate of social change and development.
(c) Massive amounts of wealth for a few people.
(d) A climate of social dissoultion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concern did Abraham Lincoln have about secession?
2. From which ancient philosophers did the Founders draw ideas?
3. According to Hofstadter, why did Abraham Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
4. According to the Founders, what could use private vices to produce public benefits?
5. Why did Wendell Phillips advocate secession from the South?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wendell Phillips.
2. Which citizens did the Founders originally intend to give the most power and why?
3. What is "wage slavery?"
4. Describe John C. Calhoun.
5. What opinion did the Founders have of democracy in general?
6. According to Hofstadter, what was Abraham Lincoln's philosophy on slavery?
7. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
8. Why were the Founders attempting to break off their association with Great Britain?
9. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
10. Why did the Populists see the Bank of America as an undemocratic institution?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)