|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what movement is William Lloyd Garrison associated?
(a) The democratic movement.
(b) The progressive movement.
(c) The abolitionist movement.
(d) The socialist movement.
2. Who won the presidential election in 1832?
(a) Henry Clay.
(b) John Floyd.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) John C. Calhoun.
3. How does Hofstadter describe Andrew Jackson's economic policies?
(a) Corporate capitalism.
4. What office did Thomas Jefferson hold in Virginia?
(a) Secretary of Commerce.
(c) Secretary of the Treasury.
(d) Secretary of State.
5. Why did most members of the abolitionist movement have difficulty convincing people to support the end of slavery?
(a) They appeared angry and aggressive.
(b) People were afraid to challenge the status quo.
(c) They had no specific plan for ending slavery.
(d) Slavery had existed since the beginning of the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes did Thomas Jefferson make in Virginia?
2. What did the Founders design the Constitution to protect?
3. What practice among Northern factories did John C. Calhoun condemn?
4. What did the Southwesterners want Andrew Jackson to do?
5. Which group of Americans did Thomas Jefferson believe should have the most voting power?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which citizens did the Founders originally intend to give the most power and why?
2. How did Abraham Lincoln rise to power?
3. According to Hofstadter, what was Abraham Lincoln's philosophy on slavery?
4. How did the American aristocracy establish their social hierarchy in the 18th and 19th centuries?
5. How did Abraham Lincoln initiate war without ordering the Union Army to attack?
6. Describe Abraham Lincoln.
7. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
8. Why did Thomas Jefferson like Locke's political theory?
9. Why were the Founders attempting to break off their association with Great Britain?
10. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)