|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what class were most of the Founders associated?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The working class.
2. Which movement advocated a philosophy of natural rights and human equality?
(a) The progressive movement.
(b) The abolitionist movement.
(c) The democratic movement.
(d) The socialist movement.
3. Which state did Andrew Jackson threaten to conquer in Chapter 4?
(a) South Carolina.
4. According to Hofstadter, why did Abraham Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) Because slavery was immoral.
(b) To undermine the economy of the South.
(c) Slave labor was driving the price of goods up.
(d) He feared the rise of white slavery.
5. What did Wendell Phillips want to prevent people from becoming?
Short Answer Questions
1. To which political leader does Hofstadter compare John C. Calhoun?
2. What concern did Northern laborers have about slavery?
3. What practice among Northern factories did John C. Calhoun condemn?
4. According to Hofstadter, how is Andrew Jackson often depicted?
5. What did John C. Calhoun believe capitalism would produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
2. Why did Wendell Phillips criticize capitalism?
3. What was abolitionism?
4. What is an agrarian lifestyle?
5. Describe Wendell Phillips.
6. What concerns did white laborers have over slavery?
7. Whom did Thomas Jefferson believe should have the most say in the government?
8. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
9. Why did Wendell Phillips advocate secession from the South?
10. Which citizens did the Founders originally intend to give the most power and why?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)