|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Wendell Phillips advocate secession from the South?
(a) To end the war.
(b) To prevent slavery from entering the North.
(c) To damage the Southern economy.
(d) To separate the Union from Southern immorality.
2. What were Thomas Jefferson's interests?
(b) Science and Medicine.
(c) Law and politics.
(d) Psycology and social behavior.
3. With what movement is William Lloyd Garrison associated?
(a) The progressive movement.
(b) The abolitionist movement.
(c) The democratic movement.
(d) The socialist movement.
4. With what political party was Abraham Lincoln associated in Illinois?
(a) The Progressive Party.
(b) The Federalists.
(c) The Whigs.
(d) The Democratic-Republicans.
5. What did the industrial lifestyles in Britain and France produce?
(a) A climate of social change and development.
(b) Massive amounts of wealth for a few people.
(c) An equal distribution of wealth among the workers.
(d) A climate of social dissoultion.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hofstadter, what type of politician was Abraham Lincoln?
2. With what famous military victory is Andrew Jackson associated?
3. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in South Carolina?
4. With what movement is Wendell Phillips associated?
5. How did Wendell Phillips view the culture of the North?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thomas Jefferson's foreign policies affect his career?
2. Why does Hofstadter compare John C. Calhoun to Karl Marx?
3. Whom did Thomas Jefferson believe should have the most say in the government?
4. Why does Hofstadter consider Wendell Phillips the most effective abolitionist?
5. Why was John C. Calhoun forced to resign as vice-president?
6. Why were the Founders attempting to break off their association with Great Britain?
7. What is an agrarian lifestyle?
8. What interests did Thomas Jefferson's political party seek to protect?
9. How did the Founders plan to meet the needs of differing classes and interests?
10. According to Hofstadter, what was Abraham Lincoln's philosophy on slavery?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)