|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Wendell Phillips view the culture of the South?
(a) As a bourgeois, immoral society.
(b) As the bulwark of modern society.
(c) As a feudal civilization.
(d) As a playground for greedy capitalists.
2. Why did Andrew Jackson want to close down the bank or force inflation?
(a) To create a new bank with his own investors.
(b) To reduce the debt burden on land speculators.
(c) To allow for the privatization of banking.
(d) To change the method of loan assumption.
3. Which act gave Abraham Lincoln the opportunity to use slavery as a political issue?
(a) The Kansas-Nebraska Act.
(b) The Writ Act.
(c) The Militia Act.
(d) The Emancipation Proclamation.
4. What did the Southwesterners want Andrew Jackson to do?
(a) Run for president of the United States.
(b) Take Texas for the United States.
(c) Create a private banking system.
(d) Oppose the bank and force states to provide debt relief.
5. What form of oppression did Wendell Phillips condemn in the North?
(b) Wage slavery.
(c) Indentured servitude.
(d) Legalized slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Abraham Lincoln prefer to read aloud?
2. Why did most members of the abolitionist movement have difficulty convincing people to support the end of slavery?
3. What type of balance were the Founders attempting to create?
4. What was the Emancipation Proclamation?
5. How did Andrew Jackson view America's social order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was abolitionism?
2. How did Andrew Jackson support the growth of capitalism in the United States?
3. How did Abraham Lincoln rise to power?
4. Describe Wendell Phillips.
5. What opinion did the Founders have of democracy in general?
6. How did the Bank of America contribute to Andrew Jackson's rise to power?
7. What was John C. Calhoun's philosophy on slavery?
8. Why did Thomas Jefferson like Locke's political theory?
9. Why did Wendell Phillips criticize capitalism?
10. How did Andrew Jackson ensure that his policies would be enforced long after he left office?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)