|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Southwesterners want Andrew Jackson to do?
(a) Run for president of the United States.
(b) Create a private banking system.
(c) Oppose the bank and force states to provide debt relief.
(d) Take Texas for the United States.
2. What concern did Abraham Lincoln have about white laborers?
(a) Poor working conditions.
(b) They could not compete with slave labor.
(c) They would revolt.
(d) They would leave for Canada.
3. With what class were most of the Founders associated?
(a) The working class.
(b) The middle class.
(d) The aristocracy.
4. What philosophy did John C. Calhoun have about African-Americans?
(a) They were naturally inferior to Anglo-Saxons.
(b) They wanted someone to take care of them.
(c) They were capable of great deception.
(d) They were naturally wild and dangerous.
5. Why was John C. Calhoun forced to resign from Andrew Jackson's cabinet?
(a) He voiced his opinion of slavery in public.
(b) He embezzled money from the U.S. Treasury.
(c) He opposed Jackson's "Tariff of Abominations."
(d) He slandered Jackson in a speech to the press.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Emancipation Proclamation not prohibit?
2. Why did Abraham Lincoln prefer to read aloud?
3. How did the Founders separate power at the Federal level?
4. Why did Wendell Phillips become estranged from William Lloyd Garrison?
5. Which state did Andrew Jackson threaten to conquer in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John C. Calhoun object to having the phrase "all men are created equal" in the Constitution?
2. Describe Herbert Hoover.
3. What is an agrarian lifestyle?
4. Which citizens did the Founders originally intend to give the most power and why?
5. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's career?
6. Why did Thomas Jefferson like Locke's political theory?
7. How did Andrew Jackson destroy the Bank of America?
8. Why did William Jennings Bryan resign as Woodrow Wilson's Secretary of War?
9. What concerns did white laborers have over slavery?
10. How did Herbert Hoover rise to power?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)