|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concern did William Jennings Bryan voice over Woodrow Wilson's support of Great Britain?
(a) He feared such support would draw an attack on the mainland.
(b) He feared the economy would suffer greatly.
(c) He felt that neutrality would be wiser for the sake of the future.
(d) He feared such support would draw the U.S. into the war.
2. With which political party is Woodrow Wilson associated?
(a) The Progressive Party.
(b) The Libertarian Party.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The Republican Party.
3. Which late 19th century president does Hofstadter refer to as "dogmatic, obtuse, and insensitive?"
(a) James Garfield.
(b) Chester A. Arthur.
(c) Grover Cleveland.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
4. Who succeeded Woodrow Wilson as President of the United States?
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) Herbert Hoover.
(c) Warren G. Harding.
(d) William Howard Taft.
5. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's political career?
(a) It had a negligible effect on his career.
(b) It bolstered his administration.
(c) It destroyed his reputation.
(d) It divided his administration.
6. When did William Jennings Bryan resign from Woodrow Wilson's cabinet?
(a) After the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.
(b) After the Germans sank the Lusitania in 1915.
(c) After the United States entered the war in 1917.
(d) After the Treaty of Versailles was signed.
7. Who was elected president of the United States in 1912?
(a) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) William Howard Taft.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
8. What did the supporters of the free silver movement wish for the government to do?
(a) Establish a standard monetary system.
(b) Repeal federal taxes.
(c) Allow all Americans access to minted currency.
(d) Mint silver for free.
9. What reputation did Theodore Roosevelt acquire among big businesses?
(a) An ally.
(b) A trust buster.
(c) A puppet.
(d) An economic supporter.
10. Who were William Jennings Bryan's constituents?
(a) The frontiersmen of the West.
(b) The industrialists of the North.
(c) The farming people of the West and South.
(d) The wealthy elite of the Northeast.
11. Why did Theodore Roosevelt enter politics?
(a) To improve his family's social status.
(b) To restore virtue to political office.
(c) To expand the territory of the United States.
(d) To gain money and fame.
12. With what social class was Franklin Roosevelt associated?
(a) The common laborer.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The working class.
(d) The wealthy New York elite.
13. What disease paralyzed Franklin Roosevelt from the waist down?
(c) Multiple sclerosis.
14. Which position did William Jennings Bryan serve in Woodrow Wilson's cabinet?
(a) Attorney General.
(b) Secretary of War.
(d) Secretary of State.
15. What economic program did Franklin Roosevelt initiate as president?
(a) The New Deal.
(c) The Freedom Act.
(d) New Freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Woodrow Wilson view politics?
2. What were some of Theodore Roosevelt's favorite pastimes?
3. Which country's conquest did William Jennings Bryan openly oppose?
4. Which country did Franklin Roosevelt assist at the beginning of World War II?
5. With which political party was William Jennings Bryan associated?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)