|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what political party was Franklin Roosevelt associated?
(a) The Progressive Party.
(b) The Democratic Party.
(c) The Libertarian Party.
(d) The Republican Party.
2. How did the Great Depression affect Herbert Hoover's political career?
(a) It bolstered his administration.
(b) It had a negligible effect on his career.
(c) It divided his administration.
(d) It destroyed his reputation.
3. What disease paralyzed Franklin Roosevelt from the waist down?
(c) Multiple sclerosis.
4. What physical changes occurred during the Gilded Age?
(a) The United States fought for and won Texas.
(b) Americans colonized the entire continent.
(c) Americans explored from the east coast to the Rocky Mountains.
(d) The South was revived by industry.
5. What did the National Recovery Act of 1933 attempt to accomplish?
(a) Preserve the industry of the United States.
(b) Force employers to offer fair wages and working conditions.
(c) Stimulate economic recovery by regulating corporate power.
(d) Create new employment opportunities.
6. Which movement did William Jennings Bryan lead?
(a) The democratic movement.
(b) The populist movement.
(c) The abolitionist movement.
(d) The socialist movement.
7. What was the economic result of Grover Cleveland's insistence on keeping the gold standard?
(a) Inflation was kept down.
(b) Silver production halted.
(c) Inflation rose.
(d) Money flowed into California.
8. Who won the presidential election in 1916?
(a) William Howard Taft.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Warren G. Harding.
(d) Woodrow Wilson.
9. What criticism did Franklin Roosevelt have of Herbert Hoover while campaigning for president?
(a) Hoover drank too much.
(b) Hoover spent too much.
(c) Hoover did not truly care for American citizens.
(d) Hoover's foreign policies would start another war.
10. Which political philosophies did Woodrow Wilson admire?
11. What was Franklin Roosevelt's view on social reforms?
(a) He felt the government could cure social ills.
(b) They were meaningless.
(c) He felt that Americans should take care of each other.
(d) They caused more problems than they solved.
12. What conflict did Herbert Hoover have with Franklin D. Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt disagreed with Hoover's foreign policy.
(b) He argued with Roosevelt over foreign policy.
(c) He opposed Roosevelt's economic policies.
(d) They each blamed the other for the Depression.
13. At what university was Woodrow Wilson president?
(a) Johns Hopkins.
14. What were some of Theodore Roosevelt's favorite pastimes?
(a) Dancing, reading and debate.
(b) Riding, hiking, and exploring the wilderness.
(c) Gambling and drinking.
(d) Hunting, politics, oratory, and war.
15. Why did Theodore Roosevelt enter politics?
(a) To gain money and fame.
(b) To expand the territory of the United States.
(c) To improve his family's social status.
(d) To restore virtue to political office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which position did William Jennings Bryan serve in Woodrow Wilson's cabinet?
2. For which political party was Theodore Roosevelt the nominee in 1912?
3. Where did Herbert Hoover attend school?
4. Which organization was credited for preserving European economies after World War I?
5. Who succeeded Woodrow Wilson as President of the United States?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)