|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Wendell Phillips: the Patrician as Agitator.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which political leader does Hofstadter compare John C. Calhoun?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Edmund Burke.
(c) Karl Marx.
(d) John Adams.
2. What concern did Northern laborers have about slavery?
(a) They could not compete with free labor.
(b) An increase in slave states would drive the price of goods up.
(c) Slavery was morally wrong.
(d) They feared the rise of white slavery.
3. How did Thomas Jefferson secure freedom of religion in his home state?
(a) By disestablishing the Anglican Church.
(b) By implementing the Freedom of Religion Act.
(c) By organizing non-violent protests.
(d) Through reform legislature.
4. From which ancient philosophers did the Founders draw ideas?
(a) Aristotle and Cicero.
(b) Epicurus and Plato.
(c) Diogenes and Socrates.
(d) Plato and Socrates.
5. How did John C. Calhoun believe the North was oppressing the South?
(a) With blockades.
(b) With high tariffs.
(c) By refusing to build railroads.
(d) With increased federal taxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who won the presidential election in 1824?
2. According to Hofstadter, how is Andrew Jackson often depicted?
3. How did Wendell Phillips place himself in danger?
4. According to Hofstadter, why did Abraham Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
5. How did John C. Calhoun believe the North was attempting to gain political control over new states?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)