|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Abraham Lincoln and the Self-Made Myth.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in South Carolina?
(a) Secretary of State.
2. With what political party was Abraham Lincoln associated in Illinois?
(a) The Federalists.
(b) The Progressive Party.
(c) The Democratic-Republicans.
(d) The Whigs.
3. Who won the presidential election in 1832?
(a) Henry Clay.
(b) John C. Calhoun.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) John Floyd.
4. How did Abraham Lincoln force the Confederacy into a battle?
(a) By issuing the Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) By destroying key railroads.
(c) By blockading Fort Sumter.
(d) By blockading Charleston.
5. What did the recolonization society want Abraham Lincoln to do?
(a) Present their program to Congress as an Act.
(b) Relocate slaves to Mexico.
(c) Relocate slaves to Africa.
(d) Free the children of current slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John C. Calhoun wish to preserve?
2. To what does Hofstadter attribute the failure of John C. Calhoun's political career?
3. What concern did Northern laborers have about slavery?
4. According to Hofstadter, why did Abraham Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
5. What was the Emancipation Proclamation?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)