|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Abraham Lincoln and the Self-Made Myth.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class of people are usually attracted to democracy?
(a) The middle class.
(c) The aristocracy.
(d) The working class.
2. According to Hofstadter, how is Andrew Jackson often depicted?
(a) As an aggressive proponent for military conquest.
(b) As one of the most influential men in history.
(c) As an arrogant aristocrat.
(d) As an opponent of aristocratic privilege.
3. What did the Emancipation Proclamation not prohibit?
(a) New slaves from being brought into America.
(b) Owners from reclaiming their slaves from the North.
(c) Slavery in the South.
(d) Slavery outside the South.
4. At what age did Abraham Lincoln become Speaker of the House in Illinois?
5. What concern did Abraham Lincoln have about white laborers?
(a) They would revolt.
(b) They would leave for Canada.
(c) Poor working conditions.
(d) They could not compete with slave labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Founders design the Constitution to protect?
2. To what does Hofstadter attribute the failure of John C. Calhoun's political career?
3. How did Thomas Jefferson feel about property rights?
4. Which group of Americans did Thomas Jefferson distrust the most?
5. According to the Founders, which group of people should have the most say in the government?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)