|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, The Spoilsmen: An Age of Cynicism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of oppression did Wendell Phillips condemn in the North?
(a) Legalized slavery.
(c) Wage slavery.
(d) Indentured servitude.
2. How did Andrew Jackson ensure that his policies would continue to be supported after he left office?
(a) He placed key men in his sucessor's cabinet.
(b) By appointing five Supreme Court justices.
(c) By issuing long-term legislation.
(d) He had the heart of the American people.
3. According to John C. Calhoun, what was the safest way for blacks and whites to interact?
(a) From different countries.
(b) In a competitive market.
(c) Through slavery.
(d) As equals.
4. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in South Carolina?
(a) Secretary of State.
5. What office did Thomas Jefferson hold in Virginia?
(a) Secretary of the Treasury.
(b) Secretary of Commerce.
(d) Secretary of State.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which groups of people did the Southwesterners wish to give voting rights?
2. How did John C. Calhoun believe the North was oppressing the South?
3. How does Hofstadter describe Andrew Jackson's economic policies?
4. Which institution was responsible for loaning large sums of money in the 1820s?
5. Which institution created by Alexander Hamilton did Thomas Jefferson allow to expire?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)