|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, The Spoilsmen: An Age of Cynicism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to John C. Calhoun, what created equality among white Americans?
(a) The relocation of African-Americans.
(b) The submission of African-Americans.
(c) Universal education.
2. With what political party was Thomas Jefferson associated?
(a) The Democratic-Republicans.
(b) The Federalists.
(c) The Whigs.
(d) The Progressive Party.
3. How did Wendell Phillips view the culture of the South?
(a) As a playground for greedy capitalists.
(b) As a feudal civilization.
(c) As the bulwark of modern society.
(d) As a bourgeois, immoral society.
4. How does Hofstadter describe Grover Cleveland's economic policies?
(a) Corporate capitalism.
(d) Laissez-faire capitalism.
5. How did John C. Calhoun believe the North was attempting to gain political control over new states?
(a) By outlawing slavery in new states.
(b) Through bribery and political coercion.
(c) By building railroads to the North.
(d) By building banks in the new states.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Thomas Jefferson feel about property rights?
2. What were Thomas Jefferson's interests?
3. How did Andrew Jackson view America's social order?
4. Why was John C. Calhoun forced to resign from Andrew Jackson's cabinet?
5. To what does Hofstadter attribute the failure of John C. Calhoun's political career?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)