|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, The Spoilsmen: An Age of Cynicism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was John C. Calhoun forced to resign from Andrew Jackson's cabinet?
(a) He voiced his opinion of slavery in public.
(b) He opposed Jackson's "Tariff of Abominations."
(c) He embezzled money from the U.S. Treasury.
(d) He slandered Jackson in a speech to the press.
2. How did Wendell Phillips view the Civil War?
(a) As the last hope to end slavery in the United States.
(b) With disdain.
(c) As a struggle between a bourgeois and a feudal civilization.
(d) As an evil necessity.
3. How does Hofstadter view Grover Cleveland's presidency?
(a) His economic theories were far beyond his time.
(b) He was the greatest politician of the late 19th century.
(c) He was the worst politician of the late 19th century.
(d) He led the country to become a world power.
4. Why did most members of the abolitionist movement have difficulty convincing people to support the end of slavery?
(a) People were afraid to challenge the status quo.
(b) They had no specific plan for ending slavery.
(c) They appeared angry and aggressive.
(d) Slavery had existed since the beginning of the country.
5. Which political party dominated the political arena after the Civil War?
(a) The Republican Party.
(b) The Democratic Party.
(c) The Libertarian Party.
(d) The Progressive Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which late 19th century president does Hofstadter refer to as "dogmatic, obtuse, and insensitive?"
2. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in James Monroe's cabinet?
3. Which scientific theory became popular during the Gilded Age?
4. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in Andrew Jackson's cabinet?
5. How does Hofstadter describe Thomas Jefferson's foreign policy?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)