|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, The Spoilsmen: An Age of Cynicism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What practice among Northern factories did John C. Calhoun condemn?
(a) The employment of women.
(b) Labor unions.
(d) Wage slavery.
2. With what political party was Alexander Hamilton associated?
(a) The Whigs.
(b) The Democratic-Republicans.
(c) The Federalists.
(d) The Progressive Party.
3. Which group of Americans did Thomas Jefferson distrust the most?
(a) Elected leaders.
4. What form of oppression did Wendell Phillips condemn in the North?
(a) Wage slavery.
(c) Legalized slavery.
(d) Indentured servitude.
5. What type of lifestyle did Thomas Jefferson promote?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which movement advocated a philosophy of natural rights and human equality?
2. To what does Hofstadter attribute the failure of John C. Calhoun's political career?
3. What office did Thomas Jefferson hold in Virginia?
4. According to Hofstadter, what main problem did free slaves face?
5. Why did Andrew Jackson want to close down the bank or force inflation?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)