|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Theodore Roosevelt: The Conservative as Progressive.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Wendell Phillips view the culture of the North?
(a) As a playground for greedy capitalists.
(b) As the bulwark of modern society.
(c) As a bourgeois but moral society.
(d) As a feudal civilization.
2. Who was elected president of the United States in 1912?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) William Howard Taft.
(d) Henry Cabot Lodge.
3. How did Wendell Phillips place himself in danger?
(a) He hid runaway slaves on his own property.
(b) He argued publicly with slave auctioneers.
(c) He endorsed violent protests.
(d) He was constantly followed by mobs.
4. How does Hofstadter describe abolitionism?
(a) As the beginning of humanism.
(b) As a political sinkhole.
(c) As an economic plan.
(d) As a moral fervor.
5. How did Andrew Jackson ensure that his policies would continue to be supported after he left office?
(a) He placed key men in his sucessor's cabinet.
(b) By issuing long-term legislation.
(c) By appointing five Supreme Court justices.
(d) He had the heart of the American people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hofstadter describe Wendell Phillips's political affiliation?
2. On the American frontier, how was social hierarchy gained?
3. How did Theodore Roosevelt feel about America's entry into World War I?
4. What were some of Theodore Roosevelt's favorite pastimes?
5. Which institution was responsible for loaning large sums of money in the 1820s?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)