|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Theodore Roosevelt: The Conservative as Progressive.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Andrew Jackson acquire massive debts?
(a) Through land speculation.
(b) By funding unsucessful military campaigns.
(c) By gambling.
(d) Through wasteful living.
2. Who were the Southwesterners?
(a) A group of politicians from Kentucky and Tennessee
(b) Andrew Jackson's constituents from Kentucky and Tennessee.
(c) A group of investors led by Andrew Jackson.
(d) One of Andrew Jackson's military regiments
3. How did Andrew Jackson view America's social order?
(a) As a blank page, ready to be illustrated.
(b) Stiffled by government regulation.
(c) As competitive and egalitarian.
(d) As chaotic and untamed.
4. Which movement advocated a philosophy of natural rights and human equality?
(a) The abolitionist movement.
(b) The democratic movement.
(c) The progressive movement.
(d) The socialist movement.
5. How does Hofstadter characterize American culture in the late nineteenth century?
(a) Flourishing after one hundred years of capitalism.
(b) Rough, individualistic, and obsessed with material gain.
(c) Greedy, immoral, and obsessed with conquest.
(d) Refined, moral, and concerned with social appearances.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Wendell Phillips view the Civil War?
2. On the American frontier, how was social hierarchy gained?
3. Who was elected president of the United States in 1912?
4. Why did Theodore Roosevelt enter politics?
5. Why did Wendell Phillips advocate secession from the South?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)