|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
(a) An axe and helmet.
(b) A horse and spear.
(c) A shield and spear.
(d) A chainmail.
2. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) By their clothing style.
(b) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(c) By their primary weapons.
(d) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
3. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It was a poor man's study.
(b) It was too inactive.
(c) It "ate the mind."
(d) It was too pretentious.
4. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(b) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
(c) Protect the chief's family as well.
(d) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
5. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
(b) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
(c) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(d) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
2. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
3. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
4. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
5. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)