|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was so unique about the German tribe Chauci?
(a) They sung during battle.
(b) They were pacifists.
(c) They dwelled in peace as well as in war.
(d) They wore their hair long.
2. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Cut his hair.
(b) Kill a woman or child.
(c) Throw away his shield.
(d) Die before his first kill.
3. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
(a) They shaved and showed no beard until they survived a battle.
(b) They continued to grow their hair until their first enemy kill.
(c) They worked in the home until they proved they can fight.
(d) Took their mother's name until their first war, then they were given their father's name.
4. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(b) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(c) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
(d) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
5. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
(b) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(c) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(d) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
2. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
3. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
4. In addition to arms as gifts, what had the Romans influenced the Germans to accept as gifts?
5. What did Germans fear for their women?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)