|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) By their clothing style.
(b) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(c) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
(d) By their primary weapons.
2. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
(a) He was able to travel to any country he preferred.
(b) He could stay in the back of the battle without question.
(c) He could order others around even if it was not relevant to the military.
(d) He was able to leave more easily.
3. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) Via tea leaves.
(b) In a sheep's cry.
(c) From cattle manure.
(d) Listening to special horses.
4. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
(a) The women.
(b) The generals.
(c) Chiefs only.
(d) The whole community.
5. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) Their steady chants.
(b) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
(c) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
(d) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
2. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
3. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
4. Present knowledge shows which group immigrated into Britain at least three separate times?
5. Tacitus criticized the Sitones more than other German tribes because of what cultural difference?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)