|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was so unique about the German tribe Chauci?
(a) They wore their hair long.
(b) They sung during battle.
(c) They were pacifists.
(d) They dwelled in peace as well as in war.
2. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
(a) The women.
(b) The generals.
(c) Chiefs only.
(d) The whole community.
3. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
(a) They were granted citizenship.
(b) They were allowed beyond the banks to trade inland.
(c) They were not taxed.
(d) They were considered neutral and never attacked.
4. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(b) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
(c) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
(d) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
5. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
(a) 100 A.D.
(b) Early 6th century.
(c) Early 16th century.
(d) 9th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were ancient German records kept?
2. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
3. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
4. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
5. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)