|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
(b) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
(c) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
(d) Their steady chants.
2. What did Germans fear for their women?
(c) An impoverished life.
3. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(b) A fair duel.
(c) Enough gold and silver.
(d) Enough cattle and sheep.
4. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
(a) They were open only at night.
(b) They only fit one family at a time.
(c) The temples were open roofed.
(d) They were in the woods and groves.
5. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(b) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
(c) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
(d) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
2. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
3. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
4. Tacitus criticized the Sitones more than other German tribes because of what cultural difference?
5. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)