|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
(b) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
(c) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(d) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
2. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
(d) Battle axes.
3. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
(a) A horse and spear.
(b) A chainmail.
(c) An axe and helmet.
(d) A shield and spear.
4. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
(a) Their population number.
(c) Cereal crops.
5. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
(a) By his possession of gold.
(b) By his retinue.
(c) In his number of kills.
(d) By the beauty of his horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
2. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
3. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
4. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
5. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)