|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
2. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
(a) The generals.
(b) The whole community.
(c) The women.
(d) Chiefs only.
3. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
(a) Took their mother's name until their first war, then they were given their father's name.
(b) They worked in the home until they proved they can fight.
(c) They shaved and showed no beard until they survived a battle.
(d) They continued to grow their hair until their first enemy kill.
4. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) In storytelling.
(b) In picture form.
(c) Through priests.
(d) In songs.
5. Tacitus criticized the Sitones more than other German tribes because of what cultural difference?
(a) They were polygamous.
(b) The women were the ruling sex.
(c) Men were in war so the women trained the boys at home for war.
(d) The women were allowed to fight next to the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
2. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
3. In addition to arms as gifts, what had the Romans influenced the Germans to accept as gifts?
4. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
5. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)