|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Maroboduus, the Marcomannic king?
(a) He was killed by other Germans.
(b) He was killed in battle against Britain.
(c) He was killed by the Romans.
(d) He was poisoned by his wife.
2. How was Arminius received at home after his win over Quintillius?
(a) He was paraded around.
(b) He was neither celebrated nor thought of.
(c) He was killed by his enemies that were his own countrymen.
(d) They looked upon him suspiciously of the truth.
3. Of the following, which power did the Roman emperor NOT possess?
(a) Ability to recall elections.
(b) Military command.
(c) Initiate legislation.
(d) Power of censorship.
4. How did Agricola take advantage of his first victory?
(a) He did not.
(b) He took the majority of the spoils.
(c) He took a promotion.
(d) He asked for a parade.
5. How were officials chosen for provinces?
(a) The Senate chose for peaceful provinces and the emperor for restless ones.
(b) By the people.
(c) The emperor chose for all provinces.
(d) By the praetorian guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the battle against the united British tribes on Mount Graupius, how did the number of fallen compare?
2. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
3. In Agricola's third year in Britain, he focused on what in particular?
4. What political harmony did Tacitus wish to see in the Roman Republic?
5. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola?"
2. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
3. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
4. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
5. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
6. How did Tacitus describe Agricola's tactic to gain the British tribes' submission?
7. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
8. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
9. What does Mattingly claim about German gods and the American calendar system?
10. Describe the state of the Roman army as Tacitus believed it to be in Britain during peacetime.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)