|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Tacitus' time, a person who wrote an autobiography was considered to be__________.
(b) Not worth reading about.
2. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
(b) Passion for war.
3. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
(a) They thought he was too soft with the British.
(b) They believed he was a puppet of Domitian.
(c) They felt he was a failure in his campaigns.
(d) They were in favor of his work.
4. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
(a) He advanced to the Elbe.
(b) He ignored their presence and concentrated on Britain.
(c) He advanced over the Rhine.
(d) He kept them at the Rhine.
5. How did Agricola help rectify the treasury?
(a) He understood the economy of supply and demand.
(b) He issued more coins.
(c) He got rid of the corrupted officials in the department.
(d) He recovered stolen objects from temple robbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a Caledonian, what kept the Gauls and Germans under Roman rule?
2. Why did Rome want to conquer Britain?
3. Tacitus credited whom for Roman successes?
4. What did Tacitus falsely believe Britain had that was worth conquering?
5. What was Agricola best known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tacitus describe slavery in Germany?
2. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
3. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
4. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
5. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
6. Describe the state of the Roman army as Tacitus believed it to be in Britain during peacetime.
7. What were some false beliefs Tacitus had about Britain?
8. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
9. Describe how Tacitus wrote about Agricola's role as a military apprentice under Suetonius Paulinus.
10. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)