|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
(a) Carelessness in geography and military history.
(c) Carelessness in proper names and dates.
(d) Exaggeration of stories.
2. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
(a) He decided to wait and see.
(b) He went where the action was.
(c) He sent a messenger with a surrender's note.
(d) He asked the emperor what he should do.
3. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
(a) 53-68 A.D.
(b) 578 A.D. - 584 A.D.
(c) 78-84 A.D.
(d) 2 A.D. - 7 A.D.
4. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
(a) Via Domitian's excessive praise.
(b) The number of archaelogical evidence of his forts.
(c) Through Tacitus' writings.
(d) Trajan wrote a famous eulogy.
5. How did Domitian receive news of Agricola's successes?
(a) He was more concerned with Germany and dismissed the news.
(b) He was elated for some good news.
(c) He was jealous.
(d) He was proud of his men.
Short Answer Questions
1. The British speech Tacitus paraphrased in "The Agricola" that was used to rally against the Romans can be summed up in which statement?
2. How was Agricola's death received in general?
3. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
4. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
5. Of the following, which title did Tacitus never hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
2. What does Mattingly claim about German gods and the American calendar system?
3. What were some false beliefs Tacitus had about Britain?
4. How did the Roman profiteers take advantage of the British natives?
5. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
6. How did Tacitus describe Agricola's tactic to gain the British tribes' submission?
7. How did Tacitus commend Agricola's utilization of his armies during peacetime? What did Agricola do during peacetime?
8. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
9. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
10. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)