|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
(a) 78-84 A.D.
(b) 2 A.D. - 7 A.D.
(c) 578 A.D. - 584 A.D.
(d) 53-68 A.D.
2. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
(a) Passion for war.
3. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
(a) He asked the emperor what he should do.
(b) He sent a messenger with a surrender's note.
(c) He went where the action was.
(d) He decided to wait and see.
4. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
(a) To extend the Roman Empire to twice its size.
(b) To restore the Republic.
(c) To conquer and restore Roman honor.
(d) To overtake all of Britain and Ireland.
5. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
(a) Too sparse in public opinion.
(b) A happy medium.
(d) Strictly prohibitive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Domitian offer Agricola for his triumph?
2. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
3. What was Agricola best known for?
4. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
5. Of the following, what was most upsetting for Tacitus in regards to Agricola's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the role and power of a Roman emperor as described by Tacitus.
2. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
3. Looking at the lineage of emperors, what did Tacitus notice in regards to choosing an emperor?
4. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
5. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
6. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
7. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
8. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
9. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
10. What were some false beliefs Tacitus had about Britain?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)