|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
(b) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
(c) The amount of trade that occurred.
(d) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
2. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
3. What did Tacitus credit to changing the Gaul's warlike past?
(a) Peace within Roman life.
(b) Their inferiority to German warriors.
(c) Tacitus' famous oration on peace.
4. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
(a) A.D. 50-115.
(b) A.D. 500-1115.
(c) A.D. 85-150.
(d) B.C. 50-115.
5. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
(a) They believed he was a puppet of Domitian.
(b) They thought he was too soft with the British.
(c) They felt he was a failure in his campaigns.
(d) They were in favor of his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Maroboduus, the Marcomannic king?
2. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
3. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
4. Who helped Nerva bring the praetorian guards to obedience?
5. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did "civilization" mean to Tacitus?
2. What are some of Mattingly's criticisms of Tacitus' works as a historian?
3. How did Tacitus describe Agricola's tactic to gain the British tribes' submission?
4. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
5. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
6. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
7. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
8. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
9. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
10. Tacitus described marriage in German cultures. According to his description, what were common gifts between a man and woman that were to be married? What did the gifts symbolized?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)