|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tacitus credit to changing the Gaul's warlike past?
(a) Tacitus' famous oration on peace.
(b) Their inferiority to German warriors.
(d) Peace within Roman life.
2. What did Tacitus falsely believe Britain had that was worth conquering?
(b) Good farming lands.
(c) Gold and silver.
(d) Excellent cattle and sheep.
3. What other country did Agricola want to conquer in order to surround Britain?
4. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) The amount of trade that occurred.
(b) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
(c) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
(d) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
5. What happened to the emperor of Rome?
(a) Killed in battle.
(c) Died in old age.
(d) Understood the significance of the Senate during his reign.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
2. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
3. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
4. Of the following, which title did Tacitus never hold?
5. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the Roman army as Tacitus believed it to be in Britain during peacetime.
2. "The Germania" is the study of what in particular? Why was Tacitus so concerned?
3. How did Tacitus compare the German tribes' religious beliefs to each other and to the Romans?
4. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
5. Compare Britain's geographical location according to Tacitus' knowledge and to how it is known today.
6. How did Tacitus commend Agricola's utilization of his armies during peacetime? What did Agricola do during peacetime?
7. How did Tacitus describe slavery in Germany?
8. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
9. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
10. How did Tacitus describe Fenni life and how they reached a state of contentment that was far from Roman life?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)