|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
2. Why did Rome want to conquer Britain?
(a) For revenge.
(b) For their gold and silver.
(c) For their knowledge of arms.
(d) Purely for victory over more lands.
3. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
4. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
(a) His triumphs were shams.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He never fought in a battle.
(d) He commited suicide.
5. What benefit was there for Agricola when he married Domitia Decidiana?
(a) A closer relationship to the governor of Britain.
(b) A closer relationship with Domitian.
(c) Greater monetary wealth.
(d) Social distinction.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Agricola's arrival in Britain differ from the usual arrival of a new governor?
2. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
3. Of the following, what was most upsetting for Tacitus in regards to Agricola's death?
4. According to a Caledonian, what kept the Gauls and Germans under Roman rule?
5. The British speech Tacitus paraphrased in "The Agricola" that was used to rally against the Romans can be summed up in which statement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did "civilization" mean to Tacitus?
2. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
3. How did the Roman Empire begin with Julius Caesar?
4. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
5. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
6. How did Tacitus compare the German tribes' religious beliefs to each other and to the Romans?
7. How did Tacitus describe Britain when Agricola was first stationed there?
8. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
9. What were some hints in "The Agricola" that showed Tacitus' true feelings about Domitian?
10. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)