Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
(a) He advanced to the Elbe.
(b) He advanced over the Rhine.
(c) He ignored their presence and concentrated on Britain.
(d) He kept them at the Rhine.
2. According to Mattingly, what belief lies in "The Agricola"?
(a) Roman destiny.
(b) Pure races.
(c) The origin of white man's burden.
3. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
(a) Julius Caesar.
4. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
(d) Cimbri and Teutoni.
5. The invasion of Italy by the Germans was __________.
(d) A slow creeping progress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, which title did Tacitus never hold?
2. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
3. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
4. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
5. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
2. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
3. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
4. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
5. What evidence does Mattingly suggest shows Agricola likely took a route to cross the river Annan?
6. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
7. How did the Roman profiteers take advantage of the British natives?
8. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
9. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
10. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)