|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
(b) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(c) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(d) A political tone of moderation.
2. Tired of Roman rule, under whom did the British unit to revolt while Paulinus was in Britain?
(c) King Cogidumnus.
3. What did Domitian offer Agricola for his triumph?
(a) A parade.
(d) A post in Germany.
4. Of the following, what was most upsetting for Tacitus in regards to Agricola's death?
(a) He could not be with Agricola in his time of death.
(b) No one was able to find the true murderer.
(c) Agricola suffered a long and painful death.
(d) Agricola did not get to meet his grandchildren.
5. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
(a) Too sparse in public opinion.
(b) A happy medium.
(c) Strictly prohibitive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
2. The beginning years of British conquest can be described as __________.
3. Tacitus felt what lesson was the hardest to remember in philosophy?
4. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
5. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
2. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
3. How did Tacitus describe slavery in Germany?
4. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
5. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
6. How did Tacitus describe Fenni life and how they reached a state of contentment that was far from Roman life?
7. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
8. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
9. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
10. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)