|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus felt what lesson was the hardest to remember in philosophy?
(c) Accordance between religion and humanities.
(d) A sense of proportion.
2. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(b) A political tone of moderation.
(c) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(d) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
3. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
(a) The end of Celtic culture.
(b) An easy success.
(c) A failure.
(d) The beginning of colonialism.
4. What did Tacitus falsely believe Britain had that was worth conquering?
(b) Good farming lands.
(c) Gold and silver.
(d) Excellent cattle and sheep.
5. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
(a) The cavalry.
(b) The infantry.
(c) The knowledge of the lands.
(d) The weaponry.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cerealis became the British governor, how did Agricola prove himself to him?
2. What happened to Maroboduus, the Marcomannic king?
3. Where did Agricola stand when fighting with his men?
4. Who was ruling the Roman Empire when Gallic tribes revolted against Rome and proclaimed their own empire?
5. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Agricola use surprise to attack Anglesey?
2. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
3. "The Germania" is the study of what in particular? Why was Tacitus so concerned?
4. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
5. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
6. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
7. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
8. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
9. Tacitus claimed Roman forces were able to defeat Germans after their first encounter due to what?
10. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)