|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Agricola do in his first year that helped Britain appreciate peace more?
(a) Stopped corrupt officials.
(b) Was lenient in giving citizenships.
(c) Relaxed the presence of the Roman army.
(d) Did not always impose the emperor's laws that were harsh on the people.
2. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
(a) He decided to wait and see.
(b) He asked the emperor what he should do.
(c) He sent a messenger with a surrender's note.
(d) He went where the action was.
3. What was Agricola's motivation to conquer Britain?
(a) He wanted to get the emperor jealous.
(b) He wanted to impress his father.
(c) Roman destiny.
(d) He wanted a triumph.
4. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
(a) He was the only one who kept Domitian in line.
(b) The other generals were failures.
(c) He was charming and convincing with the enemy.
(d) Tacitus actively promoted the idea to everyone.
5. Tired of Roman rule, under whom did the British unit to revolt while Paulinus was in Britain?
(a) King Cogidumnus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tacitus deny existed in Germany?
2. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
3. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
4. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
5. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
2. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
3. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
4. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
5. Tacitus claimed Roman forces were able to defeat Germans after their first encounter due to what?
6. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
7. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
8. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
9. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
10. How did Tacitus commend Agricola's utilization of his armies during peacetime? What did Agricola do during peacetime?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)