|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
2. In the battle against the united British tribes on Mount Graupius, how did the number of fallen compare?
(a) 360 British, 10,000 Romans.
(b) 500 British, 300 Romans.
(c) 1000 British, 1000 Romans.
(d) 10,000 British, 360 Romans.
3. Who helped Nerva bring the praetorian guards to obedience?
4. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
(a) To extend the Roman Empire to twice its size.
(b) To overtake all of Britain and Ireland.
(c) To conquer and restore Roman honor.
(d) To restore the Republic.
5. Tired of Roman rule, under whom did the British unit to revolt while Paulinus was in Britain?
(d) King Cogidumnus.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tacitus handle his political position under an emperor?
2. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
3. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
4. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
5. What did Otho's fleet do to Agricola?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Agricola use surprise to attack Anglesey?
2. How did Tacitus describe slavery in Germany?
3. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
4. What evidence does Mattingly suggest shows Agricola likely took a route to cross the river Annan?
5. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
6. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
7. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola?"
8. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
9. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
10. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)