Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
(a) 578 A.D. - 584 A.D.
(b) 78-84 A.D.
(c) 2 A.D. - 7 A.D.
(d) 53-68 A.D.
2. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
(b) Brief and poetic.
(c) Stream of conscious.
3. What benefit was there for Agricola when he married Domitia Decidiana?
(a) Greater monetary wealth.
(b) A closer relationship to the governor of Britain.
(c) Social distinction.
(d) A closer relationship with Domitian.
4. What did Agricola not live to see?
(a) His daughter get married.
(b) Germany cross the Rhine into Roman territory.
(c) Britain revolt and gain back all its land.
(d) Domitian seige the Senate.
5. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(b) A political tone of moderation.
(c) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
(d) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Agricola's motivation to conquer Britain?
2. Agricola called on whose help to equalize the sword fighting skills of the British?
3. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
4. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
5. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
2. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
3. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
4. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
5. What was Tacitus' theory of why the sun did not set in northern Britain?
6. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
7. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
8. Looking at the lineage of emperors, what did Tacitus notice in regards to choosing an emperor?
9. How did Tacitus show bits of Roman life in "The Germania?"
10. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)