|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
(b) The amount of trade that occurred.
(c) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
(d) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
2. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
(a) Carelessness in proper names and dates.
(b) Carelessness in geography and military history.
(c) Exaggeration of stories.
3. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
(a) As a patriotic piece.
(b) As wrong and banned from the schools.
(c) As fictitious.
(d) As an unofficial work without real evidence.
4. Of the following, what was more resented by the people than tax?
(a) Occupation of the Roman army.
(b) The lack of citizenship.
(c) The emperor's power.
(d) Profiteering tricks.
5. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
(a) Strictly prohibitive.
(c) Too sparse in public opinion.
(d) A happy medium.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
2. Where did Agricola stand when fighting with his men?
3. How did Agricola's arrival in Britain differ from the usual arrival of a new governor?
4. The beginning years of British conquest can be described as __________.
5. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
2. How did Tacitus compare the German tribes' religious beliefs to each other and to the Romans?
3. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
4. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
5. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
6. What did Tacitus intend to write in his old age, but why was it never written?
7. What does Mattingly claim about German gods and the American calendar system?
8. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
9. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
10. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)