|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Agricola stand when fighting with his men?
(a) In the very front.
(b) In the middle as his men surrounded him.
(c) In the back.
(d) He did not fight in the battlegrounds.
2. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
(a) His triumphs were shams.
(b) He never fought in a battle.
(c) He commited suicide.
(d) He was poisoned.
3. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
(b) The amount of trade that occurred.
(c) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
(d) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
4. What was Agricola's motivation to conquer Britain?
(a) He wanted to get the emperor jealous.
(b) He wanted a triumph.
(c) Roman destiny.
(d) He wanted to impress his father.
5. What happened to Britain's hold after Agricola left?
(a) Many forts were abandoned.
(b) Little change occurred.
(c) There was a steady weakening of Roman hold.
(d) Everything won had been lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tacitus deny existed in Germany?
2. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
3. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
4. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
5. Of the following, what was more resented by the people than tax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
2. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
3. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola?"
4. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
5. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
6. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
7. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
8. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
9. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
10. What were some hints in "The Agricola" that showed Tacitus' true feelings about Domitian?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)