|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Agricola take advantage of his first victory?
(a) He took a promotion.
(b) He took the majority of the spoils.
(c) He did not.
(d) He asked for a parade.
2. How did Tacitus handle his political position under an emperor?
(a) Unwavering with his own stance.
(b) Believed in whatever the emperor believed in.
(c) Usually manipulated the officials of the emperor to take his stance.
(d) Followed loyally, despite his own feelings.
3. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
(a) A.D. 500-1115.
(b) A.D. 50-115.
(c) B.C. 50-115.
(d) A.D. 85-150.
4. What was the outcome when the British launched a night attack on the 9th legion?
(a) The 9th legion lost many and got incorporated into Agricola's legion.
(b) Despite the surprise, the sheer number outweighed the British and the 9th legion won.
(c) The British succeeded and brought the momentum into future battles.
(d) Agricola followed and attacked the British from the rear.
5. Tacitus credited whom for Roman successes?
(a) The enemies for their own faults.
(b) The great line of emperors.
(c) The Roman people.
(d) The governors of the provinces.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
2. What was Agricola best known for?
3. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
4. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
5. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
2. What were some false beliefs Tacitus had about Britain?
3. What evidence does Mattingly suggest shows Agricola likely took a route to cross the river Annan?
4. Describe how Tacitus wrote about Agricola's role as a military apprentice under Suetonius Paulinus.
5. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
6. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
7. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
8. How did Tacitus commend Agricola's utilization of his armies during peacetime? What did Agricola do during peacetime?
9. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
10. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)