|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Agricola called on whose help to equalize the sword fighting skills of the British?
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The Praetorian Guards.
(c) The cavalry.
(d) The Batavians and Tungrians.
2. In Agricola's third year in Britain, he focused on what in particular?
(a) Granted citizenship for all of Britain.
(b) Tried to leave Britain for Germany.
(c) He extended the conquered land to the entire isle.
(d) He built forts.
3. Of the following, what was most upsetting for Tacitus in regards to Agricola's death?
(a) Agricola suffered a long and painful death.
(b) Agricola did not get to meet his grandchildren.
(c) No one was able to find the true murderer.
(d) He could not be with Agricola in his time of death.
4. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) A fierce ruler.
(b) Roman discipline.
(c) Power over drinking.
(d) A united kingdom.
5. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
(a) He was Agricola's son.
(b) They had no direct relationship.
(c) He was Agricola's son-in-law.
(d) He was Agricola's military right hand man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
2. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
3. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
4. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
5. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
2. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
3. What did "civilization" mean to Tacitus?
4. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
5. How did Tacitus show bits of Roman life in "The Germania?"
6. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
7. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
8. Tacitus claimed Roman forces were able to defeat Germans after their first encounter due to what?
9. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
10. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)