|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Arminius received at home after his win over Quintillius?
(a) They looked upon him suspiciously of the truth.
(b) He was paraded around.
(c) He was killed by his enemies that were his own countrymen.
(d) He was neither celebrated nor thought of.
2. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
(a) He believed Germans had much to offer Roman civilization.
(b) He believed Germans were desecendants from the same gods.
(c) He believed Germans were a constant threat.
(d) He believed Germans would make great slaves.
3. Who was ruling the Roman Empire when Gallic tribes revolted against Rome and proclaimed their own empire?
4. What did Otho's fleet do to Agricola?
(a) Surprise attacked him from the rear.
(b) Murdered his mother and plundered her fortunes.
(c) Poisoned him.
(d) Denied his power as consul and disobeyed his orders.
5. What other country did Agricola want to conquer in order to surround Britain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
2. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
3. What political harmony did Tacitus wish to see in the Roman Republic?
4. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
5. How did Agricola's arrival in Britain differ from the usual arrival of a new governor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Tacitus wrote about Agricola's role as a military apprentice under Suetonius Paulinus.
2. Tacitus described marriage in German cultures. According to his description, what were common gifts between a man and woman that were to be married? What did the gifts symbolized?
3. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
4. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
5. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola?"
6. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
7. How did Agricola use surprise to attack Anglesey?
8. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
9. How did Tacitus describe Fenni life and how they reached a state of contentment that was far from Roman life?
10. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)