|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
(a) Worked in the emperor's household.
(b) Enlisted in the army.
(c) Became a slave for seven years.
(d) Gave useful military information.
2. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
(a) He never fought in a battle.
(b) He commited suicide.
(c) His triumphs were shams.
(d) He was poisoned.
3. The British speech Tacitus paraphrased in "The Agricola" that was used to rally against the Romans can be summed up in which statement?
(a) The Romans are all bark and no bite.
(b) Show the Romans they are biting off more than they can chew.
(c) Action speaks louder than words.
(d) A house divided against itself cannot stand.
4. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(b) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
(c) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(d) A political tone of moderation.
5. Who was ruling the Roman Empire when Gallic tribes revolted against Rome and proclaimed their own empire?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the outcome when the British launched a night attack on the 9th legion?
2. Where did Agricola stand when fighting with his men?
3. Of the following, which title did Tacitus never hold?
4. What would help a defendant of a crime if Agricola was the judge of punishment?
5. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tacitus intend to write in his old age, but why was it never written?
2. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
3. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
4. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
5. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
6. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
7. What were some false beliefs Tacitus had about Britain?
8. How did Tacitus show bits of Roman life in "The Germania?"
9. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
10. How did Tacitus describe Agricola's tactic to gain the British tribes' submission?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)