|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
(b) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
(c) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
(d) The amount of trade that occurred.
2. How was Agricola's death received in general?
(a) It seemed to concern everyone.
(b) The enemies celebrated.
(c) Many did not notice.
(d) Domitian disallowed grievance over Agricola.
3. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
4. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
5. What political harmony did Tacitus wish to see in the Roman Republic?
(a) The Roman Empire and the German tribes.
(b) Harmony between the Emperor and Senate.
(c) Autocracy and freedom.
(d) The Senate and the Praetorian Guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
2. According to a Caledonian, what kept the Gauls and Germans under Roman rule?
3. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
4. Agricola was brought up with an education in __________.
5. How did Agricola's father get Gaius the emperor angry at him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
2. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
3. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
4. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
5. How did Tacitus show bits of Roman life in "The Germania?"
6. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
7. Who was Cartimandua and how was she significant in British and Roman history?
8. Tacitus described marriage in German cultures. According to his description, what were common gifts between a man and woman that were to be married? What did the gifts symbolized?
9. What are some of Mattingly's criticisms of Tacitus' works as a historian?
10. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)