|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
(a) 2 A.D. - 7 A.D.
(b) 53-68 A.D.
(c) 578 A.D. - 584 A.D.
(d) 78-84 A.D.
2. What benefit was there for Agricola when he married Domitia Decidiana?
(a) A closer relationship with Domitian.
(b) Greater monetary wealth.
(c) Social distinction.
(d) A closer relationship to the governor of Britain.
3. What was Agricola best known for?
(a) His tactics and forts.
(b) His oratory skills.
(c) His ability to execute a surprise attack.
(d) His diplomatic skills.
4. Which Caledonian addressed the British men to inspire courage against the Romans?
5. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
(a) Its culture.
(b) Its geography.
(c) Its climate.
(d) Agricola's role in the isle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
2. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
3. How did Agricola's father get Gaius the emperor angry at him?
4. What was the outcome when the British launched a night attack on the 9th legion?
5. The beginning years of British conquest can be described as __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus claimed Roman forces were able to defeat Germans after their first encounter due to what?
2. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
3. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
4. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
5. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
6. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
7. Tacitus described marriage in German cultures. According to his description, what were common gifts between a man and woman that were to be married? What did the gifts symbolized?
8. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
9. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
10. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)