|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cerealis became the British governor, how did Agricola prove himself to him?
(a) He did well with army detachment missions.
(b) He stood up to Cerealis when he disagreed with a plan.
(c) He always agreed with Cerealis.
(d) He was the first to offer himself in the line of duty.
2. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
(a) They felt he was a failure in his campaigns.
(b) They were in favor of his work.
(c) They thought he was too soft with the British.
(d) They believed he was a puppet of Domitian.
3. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
(a) The other generals were failures.
(b) He was the only one who kept Domitian in line.
(c) Tacitus actively promoted the idea to everyone.
(d) He was charming and convincing with the enemy.
4. For what reason would the Romans not bother to conquer a country?
(a) No reason. They would conquer any country.
(b) It was a poor country.
(c) It lacked good agricultural lands.
(d) It did not have any form of resource.
5. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
(a) 2 A.D. - 7 A.D.
(b) 53-68 A.D.
(c) 78-84 A.D.
(d) 578 A.D. - 584 A.D.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Domitian offer Agricola for his triumph?
2. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
3. Tired of Roman rule, under whom did the British unit to revolt while Paulinus was in Britain?
4. How was Agricola's death received in general?
5. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
2. Tacitus described marriage in German cultures. According to his description, what were common gifts between a man and woman that were to be married? What did the gifts symbolized?
3. Describe the state of the Roman army as Tacitus believed it to be in Britain during peacetime.
4. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
5. How did Tacitus describe Fenni life and how they reached a state of contentment that was far from Roman life?
6. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
7. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
8. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
9. How did Tacitus describe Britain when Agricola was first stationed there?
10. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)