|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus credited whom for Roman successes?
(a) The Roman people.
(b) The governors of the provinces.
(c) The great line of emperors.
(d) The enemies for their own faults.
2. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
(b) Be loyal.
3. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
4. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
5. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
(a) He failed to prevent Agricola's poisoning.
(b) He failed to be as great as Agricola.
(c) He was a Senator during tyranny.
(d) He lacked in military success.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
2. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
3. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
4. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
5. What was Agricola's motivation to conquer Britain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
2. How did Tacitus describe Agricola's tactic to gain the British tribes' submission?
3. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
4. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
5. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
6. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
7. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola?"
8. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
9. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
10. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)