|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
(a) To overtake all of Britain and Ireland.
(b) To restore the Republic.
(c) To extend the Roman Empire to twice its size.
(d) To conquer and restore Roman honor.
2. How did Agricola help rectify the treasury?
(a) He recovered stolen objects from temple robbers.
(b) He got rid of the corrupted officials in the department.
(c) He understood the economy of supply and demand.
(d) He issued more coins.
3. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
(a) Occasional accounts until Agricola arrived and campaigned.
(b) Complete exploration and knowledge due to Julius Caesar.
(c) Nothing more than there were peoples there.
(d) They believed Britain was part of Spain.
4. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
(d) Julius Caesar.
5. What happened to Maroboduus, the Marcomannic king?
(a) He was killed in battle against Britain.
(b) He was poisoned by his wife.
(c) He was killed by the Romans.
(d) He was killed by other Germans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
2. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
3. Of the following, which power did the Roman emperor NOT possess?
4. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
5. When Cerealis became the British governor, how did Agricola prove himself to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tacitus compare the German tribes' religious beliefs to each other and to the Romans?
2. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
3. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
4. What did Tacitus intend to write in his old age, but why was it never written?
5. Tacitus described marriage in German cultures. According to his description, what were common gifts between a man and woman that were to be married? What did the gifts symbolized?
6. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
7. Looking at the lineage of emperors, what did Tacitus notice in regards to choosing an emperor?
8. What are some of Mattingly's criticisms of Tacitus' works as a historian?
9. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
10. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)