|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
(a) A disc shape.
2. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
(c) Well content.
3. How did having children help Agricola's career?
(a) Fathers got special privileges.
(b) He gained more sympathy from his peers.
(c) It kept him home more often.
(d) He gained sympathy from Domitian.
4. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) Enough gold and silver.
(b) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(c) Enough cattle and sheep.
(d) A fair duel.
5. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(a) Accurate account of wealth.
(c) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
(d) Violence and war.
6. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
7. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
(b) Battle axes.
8. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
(b) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(c) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
(d) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
9. What held back efficiency in a German assembly of chiefs?
(c) Lack of punctuality.
(d) Lack of leadership.
10. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
11. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(a) An arbitrary political boundary.
(b) An ancient stone wall.
(c) Physical landscapes.
12. What did Germans fear for their women?
(a) An impoverished life.
13. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
(a) They only had two seasons.
(b) They did not consider autumn.
(c) They could not grow wheat.
(d) They used the lunar calendar.
14. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
15. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
(a) They worked in the home until they proved they can fight.
(b) Took their mother's name until their first war, then they were given their father's name.
(c) They shaved and showed no beard until they survived a battle.
(d) They continued to grow their hair until their first enemy kill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
2. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
3. How were ancient German records kept?
4. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
5. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)