|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Germans fear for their women?
(a) An impoverished life.
2. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
(a) A chainmail.
(b) A shield and spear.
(c) An axe and helmet.
(d) A horse and spear.
3. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) In a sheep's cry.
(b) Listening to special horses.
(c) From cattle manure.
(d) Via tea leaves.
4. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
(b) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(c) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(d) Protect the chief's family as well.
5. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
(b) To impress a female with a handsome song.
(c) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
(d) To unite valour before battle.
6. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(b) An arbitrary political boundary.
(c) An ancient stone wall.
(d) Physical landscapes.
7. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
(b) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(c) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(d) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
8. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(b) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(c) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
(d) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
9. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
(b) By general's choice.
(c) By number of previous kills.
(d) By family or clan.
10. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) In storytelling.
(b) In songs.
(c) Through priests.
(d) In picture form.
11. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
12. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(b) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
(c) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
(d) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
13. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
14. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Die before his first kill.
(b) Cut his hair.
(c) Kill a woman or child.
(d) Throw away his shield.
15. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
(a) Grudges against one another.
(b) Intemperance of drink.
(d) Lack of seriousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
2. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
3. How do present historians know about British kings of the past?
4. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
5. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)