|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
(a) Grudges against one another.
(b) Intemperance of drink.
(c) Lack of seriousness.
2. Why would the Cotini be more ashamed than other tribes because they worked in the iron mines of Germany?
(a) The iron mines were considered as low of a job as a slave.
(b) Iron mines were considered base because of its disturbance to the outdoor altars.
(c) They could have used the iron to make weapons instead of tribute to the Romans.
(d) It was disgraceful against the German kings to mine the iron for anyone else.
3. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
(b) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
(c) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
(d) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
4. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
(a) Early 6th century.
(b) 9th century.
(c) Early 16th century.
(d) 100 A.D.
5. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It "ate the mind."
(b) It was too inactive.
(c) It was too pretentious.
(d) It was a poor man's study.
6. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) From cattle manure.
(b) Via tea leaves.
(c) In a sheep's cry.
(d) Listening to special horses.
7. What did Germans fear for their women?
(a) An impoverished life.
8. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
(a) By general's choice.
(b) By family or clan.
(c) By number of previous kills.
9. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
10. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
(a) Short, freckly, with red hair.
(b) Blue eyes, red hair, with big frames.
(c) Dark hair and stout.
(d) Large and hairy.
11. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(c) The Tungri.
12. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Protect the chief's family as well.
(b) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(c) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
(d) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
13. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
(a) It built fear in them.
(b) It protected the British from their unconquered neighbors.
(c) It kept them from escaping.
(d) It controlled imports and exports.
14. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
(a) They did not consider autumn.
(b) They could not grow wheat.
(c) They only had two seasons.
(d) They used the lunar calendar.
15. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
(a) The whole community.
(b) Chiefs only.
(c) The generals.
(d) The women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
2. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
3. How do present historians know about British kings of the past?
4. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
5. In addition to arms as gifts, what had the Romans influenced the Germans to accept as gifts?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)