|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
(a) They kept out intruders at the Rhine.
(b) They took on new Roman names.
(c) They wore togas.
(d) They voluntarily gave agricultural gifts at harvest.
2. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(b) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
(c) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
(d) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
3. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
(d) Social norm.
4. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
5. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) In songs.
(b) In storytelling.
(c) In picture form.
(d) Through priests.
6. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
(a) Be involved in politics.
(b) Start a war.
(c) Be involved in philosophy.
7. The German peoples can be described as __________.
8. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
(a) By the beauty of his horse.
(b) By his possession of gold.
(c) In his number of kills.
(d) By his retinue.
9. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) Their steady chants.
(b) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
(c) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
(d) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
10. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
(c) Their population number.
(d) Cereal crops.
11. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It "ate the mind."
(b) It was too pretentious.
(c) It was a poor man's study.
(d) It was too inactive.
12. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) Enough gold and silver.
(b) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(c) Enough cattle and sheep.
(d) A fair duel.
13. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
(c) A disc shape.
14. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(b) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
(c) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(d) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
15. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
(a) Grudges against one another.
(b) Intemperance of drink.
(c) Lack of seriousness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
2. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
3. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
4. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
5. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)