|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
(a) By family or clan.
(c) By general's choice.
(d) By number of previous kills.
2. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
3. What did Germans fear for their women?
(c) An impoverished life.
4. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Treviri.
(b) The Osi.
(c) The Nevii.
(d) The Batavi.
5. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
(a) Social norm.
6. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) Through priests.
(b) In songs.
(c) In picture form.
(d) In storytelling.
7. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
(a) Tacitus gave a narrow view of the varying dress between tribes.
(b) Images from reliefs and coins contradict Tacitus' account.
(c) Reliefs and coins shows agreement and further evidence.
(d) Tacitus did not really talk about the German's dress.
8. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
(b) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(c) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(d) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
9. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(a) An ancient stone wall.
(c) Physical landscapes.
(d) An arbitrary political boundary.
10. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
(a) He was able to leave more easily.
(b) He could stay in the back of the battle without question.
(c) He was able to travel to any country he preferred.
(d) He could order others around even if it was not relevant to the military.
11. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
(a) By the beauty of his horse.
(b) By his possession of gold.
(c) By his retinue.
(d) In his number of kills.
12. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
(a) Well content.
13. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
(d) A disc shape.
14. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
(b) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(c) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
(d) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
15. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
(a) They continued to grow their hair until their first enemy kill.
(b) They worked in the home until they proved they can fight.
(c) Took their mother's name until their first war, then they were given their father's name.
(d) They shaved and showed no beard until they survived a battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
2. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
3. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
4. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
5. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)