|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(a) An ancient stone wall.
(b) Physical landscapes.
(c) An arbitrary political boundary.
2. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
3. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
(a) Well content.
4. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Kept silence.
(b) Clashed their weapons.
(c) Said "Ja."
(d) Nodded their heads.
5. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Throw away his shield.
(b) Kill a woman or child.
(c) Cut his hair.
(d) Die before his first kill.
6. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
(b) Social norm.
7. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To unite valour before battle.
(b) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
(c) To impress a female with a handsome song.
(d) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
8. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
(a) It controlled imports and exports.
(b) It built fear in them.
(c) It kept them from escaping.
(d) It protected the British from their unconquered neighbors.
9. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
(b) Be involved in philosophy.
(c) Start a war.
(d) Be involved in politics.
10. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
11. Why would the Cotini be more ashamed than other tribes because they worked in the iron mines of Germany?
(a) The iron mines were considered as low of a job as a slave.
(b) It was disgraceful against the German kings to mine the iron for anyone else.
(c) They could have used the iron to make weapons instead of tribute to the Romans.
(d) Iron mines were considered base because of its disturbance to the outdoor altars.
12. What held back efficiency in a German assembly of chiefs?
(a) Lack of punctuality.
(b) Lack of leadership.
13. The German peoples can be described as __________.
14. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(d) The Tungri.
15. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) Enough gold and silver.
(b) A fair duel.
(c) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(d) Enough cattle and sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
2. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
3. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
4. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
5. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)