|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Germans fear for their women?
(b) An impoverished life.
2. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(b) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(c) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
(d) Protect the chief's family as well.
3. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Batavi.
(b) The Treviri.
(c) The Nevii.
(d) The Osi.
4. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(a) Physical landscapes.
(b) An arbitrary political boundary.
(c) An ancient stone wall.
5. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
(a) They were allowed beyond the banks to trade inland.
(b) They were granted citizenship.
(c) They were not taxed.
(d) They were considered neutral and never attacked.
6. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
(a) He was able to leave more easily.
(b) He could order others around even if it was not relevant to the military.
(c) He could stay in the back of the battle without question.
(d) He was able to travel to any country he preferred.
7. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
8. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
(b) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
(c) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
(d) Their steady chants.
9. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
(b) Social norm.
10. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(a) The Tungri.
11. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
(b) Their population number.
(c) Cereal crops.
12. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(a) Accurate account of wealth.
(b) Violence and war.
(c) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
13. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) Enough gold and silver.
(b) A fair duel.
(c) Enough cattle and sheep.
(d) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
14. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
(a) They could not grow wheat.
(b) They only had two seasons.
(c) They used the lunar calendar.
(d) They did not consider autumn.
15. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Nodded their heads.
(b) Clashed their weapons.
(c) Said "Ja."
(d) Kept silence.
Short Answer Questions
1. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
2. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
3. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
4. What was so unique about the German tribe Chauci?
5. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)