|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
(c) Social norm.
2. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) Listening to special horses.
(b) From cattle manure.
(c) Via tea leaves.
(d) In a sheep's cry.
3. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
(b) Their steady chants.
(c) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
(d) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
4. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
5. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
6. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) In picture form.
(b) In songs.
(c) In storytelling.
(d) Through priests.
7. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To impress a female with a handsome song.
(b) To unite valour before battle.
(c) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
(d) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
8. How did having children help Agricola's career?
(a) He gained sympathy from Domitian.
(b) He gained more sympathy from his peers.
(c) Fathers got special privileges.
(d) It kept him home more often.
9. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
(a) He was able to leave more easily.
(b) He was able to travel to any country he preferred.
(c) He could order others around even if it was not relevant to the military.
(d) He could stay in the back of the battle without question.
10. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
(a) They used the lunar calendar.
(b) They did not consider autumn.
(c) They only had two seasons.
(d) They could not grow wheat.
11. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(a) An ancient stone wall.
(b) An arbitrary political boundary.
(c) Physical landscapes.
12. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
(b) By their primary weapons.
(c) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(d) By their clothing style.
13. The German peoples can be described as __________.
14. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
(a) A disc shape.
15. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
(b) Cereal crops.
(c) Their population number.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
2. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
3. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
4. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
5. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)