|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
(a) Tacitus did not really talk about the German's dress.
(b) Images from reliefs and coins contradict Tacitus' account.
(c) Tacitus gave a narrow view of the varying dress between tribes.
(d) Reliefs and coins shows agreement and further evidence.
2. How do present historians know about British kings of the past?
(a) From native coins.
(b) From folklore songs.
(c) Ancient forts are always named after a king.
(d) From legends in storytelling.
3. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To impress a female with a handsome song.
(b) To unite valour before battle.
(c) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
(d) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
4. What was so unique about the German tribe Chauci?
(a) They wore their hair long.
(b) They sung during battle.
(c) They were pacifists.
(d) They dwelled in peace as well as in war.
5. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(b) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(c) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
(d) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
6. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
7. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
(a) They were allowed beyond the banks to trade inland.
(b) They were granted citizenship.
(c) They were considered neutral and never attacked.
(d) They were not taxed.
8. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
(a) Took their mother's name until their first war, then they were given their father's name.
(b) They continued to grow their hair until their first enemy kill.
(c) They shaved and showed no beard until they survived a battle.
(d) They worked in the home until they proved they can fight.
9. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
(b) Battle axes.
10. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
(a) They were in the woods and groves.
(b) They were open only at night.
(c) They only fit one family at a time.
(d) The temples were open roofed.
11. In addition to arms as gifts, what had the Romans influenced the Germans to accept as gifts?
12. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
(a) By his retinue.
(b) In his number of kills.
(c) By his possession of gold.
(d) By the beauty of his horse.
13. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
(a) It built fear in them.
(b) It kept them from escaping.
(c) It controlled imports and exports.
(d) It protected the British from their unconquered neighbors.
14. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
15. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
(b) By their clothing style.
(c) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(d) By their primary weapons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
2. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
3. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
4. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
5. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)