|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to arms as gifts, what had the Romans influenced the Germans to accept as gifts?
2. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(a) Accurate account of wealth.
(b) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
(c) Violence and war.
3. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
(a) By number of previous kills.
(b) By general's choice.
(c) By family or clan.
4. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
(b) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
(c) Their steady chants.
(d) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
5. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
6. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
(b) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(c) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
(d) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
7. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) Through priests.
(b) In storytelling.
(c) In songs.
(d) In picture form.
8. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(d) The Tungri.
9. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Osi.
(b) The Batavi.
(c) The Nevii.
(d) The Treviri.
10. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Cut his hair.
(b) Throw away his shield.
(c) Die before his first kill.
(d) Kill a woman or child.
11. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
(a) Their population number.
(b) Cereal crops.
12. Why would the Cotini be more ashamed than other tribes because they worked in the iron mines of Germany?
(a) They could have used the iron to make weapons instead of tribute to the Romans.
(b) Iron mines were considered base because of its disturbance to the outdoor altars.
(c) It was disgraceful against the German kings to mine the iron for anyone else.
(d) The iron mines were considered as low of a job as a slave.
13. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
(d) A disc shape.
14. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Kept silence.
(b) Nodded their heads.
(c) Said "Ja."
(d) Clashed their weapons.
15. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(b) An ancient stone wall.
(c) An arbitrary political boundary.
(d) Physical landscapes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
2. Tacitus criticized the Sitones more than other German tribes because of what cultural difference?
3. Present knowledge shows which group immigrated into Britain at least three separate times?
4. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
5. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)