|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) Via tea leaves.
(b) Listening to special horses.
(c) From cattle manure.
(d) In a sheep's cry.
2. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
3. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) Through priests.
(b) In songs.
(c) In storytelling.
(d) In picture form.
4. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(b) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
(c) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(d) Protect the chief's family as well.
5. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(b) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(c) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
(d) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
6. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
(a) By general's choice.
(b) By family or clan.
(d) By number of previous kills.
7. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Said "Ja."
(b) Nodded their heads.
(c) Kept silence.
(d) Clashed their weapons.
8. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
(a) They wore togas.
(b) They kept out intruders at the Rhine.
(c) They took on new Roman names.
(d) They voluntarily gave agricultural gifts at harvest.
9. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
(a) Chiefs only.
(b) The women.
(c) The whole community.
(d) The generals.
10. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(b) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(c) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
(d) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
11. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Die before his first kill.
(b) Throw away his shield.
(c) Kill a woman or child.
(d) Cut his hair.
12. How did having children help Agricola's career?
(a) He gained sympathy from Domitian.
(b) Fathers got special privileges.
(c) It kept him home more often.
(d) He gained more sympathy from his peers.
13. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
(c) Battle axes.
14. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
(a) 100 A.D.
(b) Early 16th century.
(c) 9th century.
(d) Early 6th century.
15. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
(b) The people looted after a great fire.
(c) Infestation of a corn beetle.
Short Answer Questions
1. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
2. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
3. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
4. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
5. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)