|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Said "Ja."
(b) Nodded their heads.
(c) Kept silence.
(d) Clashed their weapons.
2. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
(a) The temples were open roofed.
(b) They were in the woods and groves.
(c) They were open only at night.
(d) They only fit one family at a time.
3. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
(a) Images from reliefs and coins contradict Tacitus' account.
(b) Reliefs and coins shows agreement and further evidence.
(c) Tacitus gave a narrow view of the varying dress between tribes.
(d) Tacitus did not really talk about the German's dress.
4. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
(a) He was able to leave more easily.
(b) He could order others around even if it was not relevant to the military.
(c) He was able to travel to any country he preferred.
(d) He could stay in the back of the battle without question.
5. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It "ate the mind."
(b) It was too pretentious.
(c) It was too inactive.
(d) It was a poor man's study.
6. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
(b) To impress a female with a handsome song.
(c) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
(d) To unite valour before battle.
7. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(a) Accurate account of wealth.
(c) Violence and war.
(d) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
8. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
(a) By number of previous kills.
(b) By family or clan.
(d) By general's choice.
9. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
(a) Lack of seriousness.
(b) Intemperance of drink.
(d) Grudges against one another.
10. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(a) Physical landscapes.
(c) An ancient stone wall.
(d) An arbitrary political boundary.
11. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
(b) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
(c) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(d) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
12. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
(a) They were considered neutral and never attacked.
(b) They were granted citizenship.
(c) They were not taxed.
(d) They were allowed beyond the banks to trade inland.
13. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
(a) It protected the British from their unconquered neighbors.
(b) It built fear in them.
(c) It kept them from escaping.
(d) It controlled imports and exports.
14. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) Listening to special horses.
(b) From cattle manure.
(c) In a sheep's cry.
(d) Via tea leaves.
15. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
(a) They voluntarily gave agricultural gifts at harvest.
(b) They wore togas.
(c) They kept out intruders at the Rhine.
(d) They took on new Roman names.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
2. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
3. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
4. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
5. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)