|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) Via tea leaves.
(b) Listening to special horses.
(c) From cattle manure.
(d) In a sheep's cry.
2. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
(a) A horse and spear.
(b) An axe and helmet.
(c) A chainmail.
(d) A shield and spear.
3. What did Germans fear for their women?
(b) An impoverished life.
4. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
(a) The whole community.
(b) Chiefs only.
(c) The generals.
(d) The women.
5. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
(a) Blue eyes, red hair, with big frames.
(b) Short, freckly, with red hair.
(c) Dark hair and stout.
(d) Large and hairy.
6. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
(a) 9th century.
(b) Early 16th century.
(c) Early 6th century.
(d) 100 A.D.
7. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
(a) By the beauty of his horse.
(b) By his retinue.
(c) By his possession of gold.
(d) In his number of kills.
8. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
(a) Tacitus did not really talk about the German's dress.
(b) Tacitus gave a narrow view of the varying dress between tribes.
(c) Images from reliefs and coins contradict Tacitus' account.
(d) Reliefs and coins shows agreement and further evidence.
9. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(b) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(c) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
(d) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
10. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
(b) Cereal crops.
(d) Their population number.
11. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
(d) A disc shape.
12. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
(a) He could order others around even if it was not relevant to the military.
(b) He was able to travel to any country he preferred.
(c) He could stay in the back of the battle without question.
(d) He was able to leave more easily.
13. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
14. In addition to arms as gifts, what had the Romans influenced the Germans to accept as gifts?
15. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
(a) Well content.
Short Answer Questions
1. Present knowledge shows which group immigrated into Britain at least three separate times?
2. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
3. What held back efficiency in a German assembly of chiefs?
4. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
5. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)