|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) In a sheep's cry.
(b) From cattle manure.
(c) Listening to special horses.
(d) Via tea leaves.
2. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(a) An arbitrary political boundary.
(b) Physical landscapes.
(c) An ancient stone wall.
3. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
4. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
(a) He could order others around even if it was not relevant to the military.
(b) He could stay in the back of the battle without question.
(c) He was able to leave more easily.
(d) He was able to travel to any country he preferred.
5. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Protect the chief's family as well.
(b) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(c) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(d) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
6. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
(a) It kept them from escaping.
(b) It built fear in them.
(c) It controlled imports and exports.
(d) It protected the British from their unconquered neighbors.
7. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
(a) Grudges against one another.
(b) Lack of seriousness.
(d) Intemperance of drink.
8. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
(a) Social norm.
9. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(d) The Tungri.
10. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) A fair duel.
(b) Enough cattle and sheep.
(c) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(d) Enough gold and silver.
11. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
(a) Tacitus gave a narrow view of the varying dress between tribes.
(b) Images from reliefs and coins contradict Tacitus' account.
(c) Tacitus did not really talk about the German's dress.
(d) Reliefs and coins shows agreement and further evidence.
12. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
(a) Dark hair and stout.
(b) Short, freckly, with red hair.
(c) Large and hairy.
(d) Blue eyes, red hair, with big frames.
13. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
(a) Gambled his freedom away.
(b) Surrendered his shield.
(c) Lacked a kill by the age of fifteen.
(d) Commited adultery.
14. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
(a) Early 6th century.
(b) 100 A.D.
(c) 9th century.
(d) Early 16th century.
15. Present knowledge shows which group immigrated into Britain at least three separate times?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) The Gauls.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The Romans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
2. The German peoples can be described as __________.
3. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
4. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
5. How do present historians know about British kings of the past?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)