|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
(a) Early 16th century.
(b) 100 A.D.
(c) Early 6th century.
(d) 9th century.
2. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
(a) Lacked a kill by the age of fifteen.
(b) Surrendered his shield.
(c) Gambled his freedom away.
(d) Commited adultery.
3. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
(b) Be involved in philosophy.
(c) Start a war.
(d) Be involved in politics.
4. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
(a) He was able to travel to any country he preferred.
(b) He was able to leave more easily.
(c) He could order others around even if it was not relevant to the military.
(d) He could stay in the back of the battle without question.
5. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Said "Ja."
(b) Clashed their weapons.
(c) Kept silence.
(d) Nodded their heads.
6. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(b) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
(c) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
(d) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
7. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Nevii.
(b) The Osi.
(c) The Batavi.
(d) The Treviri.
8. The German peoples can be described as __________.
9. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
10. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
(b) Their steady chants.
(c) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
(d) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
11. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) A fair duel.
(b) Enough gold and silver.
(c) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(d) Enough cattle and sheep.
12. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
13. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
14. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
(a) Took their mother's name until their first war, then they were given their father's name.
(b) They shaved and showed no beard until they survived a battle.
(c) They continued to grow their hair until their first enemy kill.
(d) They worked in the home until they proved they can fight.
15. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
(a) They wore togas.
(b) They kept out intruders at the Rhine.
(c) They voluntarily gave agricultural gifts at harvest.
(d) They took on new Roman names.
Short Answer Questions
1. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
2. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
3. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
4. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
5. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)