|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Die before his first kill.
(b) Throw away his shield.
(c) Cut his hair.
(d) Kill a woman or child.
2. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) From cattle manure.
(b) In a sheep's cry.
(c) Listening to special horses.
(d) Via tea leaves.
3. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(d) The Tungri.
4. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Protect the chief's family as well.
(b) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(c) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(d) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
5. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It was too inactive.
(b) It was too pretentious.
(c) It was a poor man's study.
(d) It "ate the mind."
6. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
(a) Gambled his freedom away.
(b) Lacked a kill by the age of fifteen.
(c) Commited adultery.
(d) Surrendered his shield.
7. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Osi.
(b) The Treviri.
(c) The Nevii.
(d) The Batavi.
8. How did having children help Agricola's career?
(a) Fathers got special privileges.
(b) He gained sympathy from Domitian.
(c) It kept him home more often.
(d) He gained more sympathy from his peers.
9. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
(a) Start a war.
(c) Be involved in philosophy.
(d) Be involved in politics.
10. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) In storytelling.
(b) In songs.
(c) Through priests.
(d) In picture form.
11. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(b) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(c) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
(d) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
12. What held back efficiency in a German assembly of chiefs?
(b) Lack of leadership.
(d) Lack of punctuality.
13. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
(b) To impress a female with a handsome song.
(c) To unite valour before battle.
(d) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
14. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
(a) Blue eyes, red hair, with big frames.
(b) Dark hair and stout.
(c) Large and hairy.
(d) Short, freckly, with red hair.
15. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
(a) It built fear in them.
(b) It protected the British from their unconquered neighbors.
(c) It kept them from escaping.
(d) It controlled imports and exports.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Germans fear for their women?
2. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
3. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
4. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
5. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)