|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
(b) An ancient stone wall.
(c) An arbitrary political boundary.
(d) Physical landscapes.
2. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Cut his hair.
(b) Throw away his shield.
(c) Die before his first kill.
(d) Kill a woman or child.
3. Tacitus criticized the Sitones more than other German tribes because of what cultural difference?
(a) The women were allowed to fight next to the men.
(b) The women were the ruling sex.
(c) Men were in war so the women trained the boys at home for war.
(d) They were polygamous.
4. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
5. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
(a) Lacked a kill by the age of fifteen.
(b) Surrendered his shield.
(c) Commited adultery.
(d) Gambled his freedom away.
6. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
(a) The generals.
(b) Chiefs only.
(c) The women.
(d) The whole community.
7. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(b) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(c) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(d) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
8. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
(a) They were in the woods and groves.
(b) They were open only at night.
(c) The temples were open roofed.
(d) They only fit one family at a time.
9. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) In storytelling.
(b) Through priests.
(c) In picture form.
(d) In songs.
10. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(b) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(c) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
(d) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
11. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It "ate the mind."
(b) It was too inactive.
(c) It was a poor man's study.
(d) It was too pretentious.
12. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
13. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(a) Accurate account of wealth.
(c) Violence and war.
(d) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
14. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
(a) It protected the British from their unconquered neighbors.
(b) It kept them from escaping.
(c) It built fear in them.
(d) It controlled imports and exports.
15. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Nevii.
(b) The Osi.
(c) The Treviri.
(d) The Batavi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Present knowledge shows which group immigrated into Britain at least three separate times?
2. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
3. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
4. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
5. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)