|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
(a) They were open only at night.
(b) They only fit one family at a time.
(c) They were in the woods and groves.
(d) The temples were open roofed.
2. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
(a) Large and hairy.
(b) Blue eyes, red hair, with big frames.
(c) Short, freckly, with red hair.
(d) Dark hair and stout.
3. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
4. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(b) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(c) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
(d) Protect the chief's family as well.
5. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) Enough gold and silver.
(b) Enough cattle and sheep.
(c) A fair duel.
(d) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
6. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
(a) The people looted after a great fire.
(c) Infestation of a corn beetle.
7. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(b) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
(c) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(d) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
8. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(c) The Tungri.
9. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) By their clothing style.
(b) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(c) By their primary weapons.
(d) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
10. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
11. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(b) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
(c) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
(d) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
12. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
13. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Kept silence.
(b) Nodded their heads.
(c) Said "Ja."
(d) Clashed their weapons.
14. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(b) Accurate account of wealth.
(c) Violence and war.
(d) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
15. What did Germans fear for their women?
(a) An impoverished life.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
2. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
3. How did having children help Agricola's career?
4. Why would the Cotini be more ashamed than other tribes because they worked in the iron mines of Germany?
5. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)