|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Present knowledge shows which group immigrated into Britain at least three separate times?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The Gauls.
2. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(b) By their primary weapons.
(c) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
(d) By their clothing style.
3. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(a) The Tungri.
4. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
(a) They shaved and showed no beard until they survived a battle.
(b) They worked in the home until they proved they can fight.
(c) They continued to grow their hair until their first enemy kill.
(d) Took their mother's name until their first war, then they were given their father's name.
5. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Osi.
(b) The Treviri.
(c) The Nevii.
(d) The Batavi.
6. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(b) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
(c) Protect the chief's family as well.
(d) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
7. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) Listening to special horses.
(b) Via tea leaves.
(c) From cattle manure.
(d) In a sheep's cry.
8. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
(a) Be involved in philosophy.
(b) Start a war.
(c) Be involved in politics.
9. Tacitus criticized the Sitones more than other German tribes because of what cultural difference?
(a) The women were the ruling sex.
(b) They were polygamous.
(c) Men were in war so the women trained the boys at home for war.
(d) The women were allowed to fight next to the men.
10. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Nodded their heads.
(b) Said "Ja."
(c) Kept silence.
(d) Clashed their weapons.
11. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
(a) Early 16th century.
(b) Early 6th century.
(c) 9th century.
(d) 100 A.D.
12. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
13. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
(a) They were in the woods and groves.
(b) They only fit one family at a time.
(c) They were open only at night.
(d) The temples were open roofed.
14. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(b) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(c) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(d) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
15. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
(b) The people looted after a great fire.
(d) Infestation of a corn beetle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
2. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
3. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
4. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
5. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)