|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
(a) They were open only at night.
(b) They only fit one family at a time.
(c) The temples were open roofed.
(d) They were in the woods and groves.
2. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
(a) By general's choice.
(b) By family or clan.
(d) By number of previous kills.
3. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
(a) They did not consider autumn.
(b) They could not grow wheat.
(c) They used the lunar calendar.
(d) They only had two seasons.
4. Tacitus criticized the Sitones more than other German tribes because of what cultural difference?
(a) The women were the ruling sex.
(b) Men were in war so the women trained the boys at home for war.
(c) They were polygamous.
(d) The women were allowed to fight next to the men.
5. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(b) Protect the chief's family as well.
(c) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(d) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
6. How could Agricola take advantage of the staff-captaincy post?
(a) He was able to leave more easily.
(b) He could order others around even if it was not relevant to the military.
(c) He could stay in the back of the battle without question.
(d) He was able to travel to any country he preferred.
7. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
(a) Tacitus gave a narrow view of the varying dress between tribes.
(b) Tacitus did not really talk about the German's dress.
(c) Reliefs and coins shows agreement and further evidence.
(d) Images from reliefs and coins contradict Tacitus' account.
8. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
(a) A horse and spear.
(b) A shield and spear.
(c) A chainmail.
(d) An axe and helmet.
9. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(b) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(c) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
(d) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
10. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
(a) Short, freckly, with red hair.
(b) Large and hairy.
(c) Dark hair and stout.
(d) Blue eyes, red hair, with big frames.
11. What held back efficiency in a German assembly of chiefs?
(b) Lack of leadership.
(d) Lack of punctuality.
12. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Kill a woman or child.
(b) Cut his hair.
(c) Die before his first kill.
(d) Throw away his shield.
13. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
(a) Intemperance of drink.
(c) Lack of seriousness.
(d) Grudges against one another.
14. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
(a) It protected the British from their unconquered neighbors.
(b) It built fear in them.
(c) It controlled imports and exports.
(d) It kept them from escaping.
15. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) Enough cattle and sheep.
(b) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(c) Enough gold and silver.
(d) A fair duel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
2. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
3. How do present historians know about British kings of the past?
4. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
5. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)