|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Cut his hair.
(b) Throw away his shield.
(c) Kill a woman or child.
(d) Die before his first kill.
2. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(b) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(c) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
(d) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
3. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
(b) By their clothing style.
(c) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(d) By their primary weapons.
4. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It was a poor man's study.
(b) It was too pretentious.
(c) It was too inactive.
(d) It "ate the mind."
5. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
6. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
(a) An axe and helmet.
(b) A shield and spear.
(c) A horse and spear.
(d) A chainmail.
7. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(a) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
(b) Accurate account of wealth.
(d) Violence and war.
8. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
(b) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
(c) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
(d) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
9. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
(a) Reliefs and coins shows agreement and further evidence.
(b) Tacitus gave a narrow view of the varying dress between tribes.
(c) Tacitus did not really talk about the German's dress.
(d) Images from reliefs and coins contradict Tacitus' account.
10. Tacitus criticized the Sitones more than other German tribes because of what cultural difference?
(a) Men were in war so the women trained the boys at home for war.
(b) The women were the ruling sex.
(c) They were polygamous.
(d) The women were allowed to fight next to the men.
11. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
(a) They only fit one family at a time.
(b) The temples were open roofed.
(c) They were open only at night.
(d) They were in the woods and groves.
12. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
(a) Cereal crops.
(d) Their population number.
13. Present knowledge shows which group immigrated into Britain at least three separate times?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Gauls.
(d) The Celts.
14. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(b) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(c) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(d) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
15. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(b) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(c) Protect the chief's family as well.
(d) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
2. How did having children help Agricola's career?
3. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
4. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
5. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)