Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
2. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(b) The Tungri.
3. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
(a) They could not grow wheat.
(b) They only had two seasons.
(c) They did not consider autumn.
(d) They used the lunar calendar.
4. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
(a) Tacitus did not really talk about the German's dress.
(b) Tacitus gave a narrow view of the varying dress between tribes.
(c) Reliefs and coins shows agreement and further evidence.
(d) Images from reliefs and coins contradict Tacitus' account.
5. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
(a) Short, freckly, with red hair.
(b) Large and hairy.
(c) Dark hair and stout.
(d) Blue eyes, red hair, with big frames.
6. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
(a) The people looted after a great fire.
(c) Infestation of a corn beetle.
7. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
(a) It built fear in them.
(b) It kept them from escaping.
(c) It protected the British from their unconquered neighbors.
(d) It controlled imports and exports.
8. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
(a) Surrendered his shield.
(b) Gambled his freedom away.
(c) Commited adultery.
(d) Lacked a kill by the age of fifteen.
9. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
(b) Battle axes.
10. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(b) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
(c) By their primary weapons.
(d) By their clothing style.
11. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It "ate the mind."
(b) It was too inactive.
(c) It was too pretentious.
(d) It was a poor man's study.
12. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
(b) To impress a female with a handsome song.
(c) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
(d) To unite valour before battle.
13. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
(a) They took on new Roman names.
(b) They voluntarily gave agricultural gifts at harvest.
(c) They wore togas.
(d) They kept out intruders at the Rhine.
14. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) In a sheep's cry.
(b) Listening to special horses.
(c) From cattle manure.
(d) Via tea leaves.
15. What held back efficiency in a German assembly of chiefs?
(b) Lack of punctuality.
(c) Lack of leadership.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
2. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
3. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
4. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
5. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)