|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
(a) By general's choice.
(b) By number of previous kills.
(c) By family or clan.
2. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
(a) Images from reliefs and coins contradict Tacitus' account.
(b) Reliefs and coins shows agreement and further evidence.
(c) Tacitus gave a narrow view of the varying dress between tribes.
(d) Tacitus did not really talk about the German's dress.
3. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
(b) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
(c) Their steady chants.
(d) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
4. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
(b) To unite valour before battle.
(c) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
(d) To impress a female with a handsome song.
5. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Throw away his shield.
(b) Cut his hair.
(c) Kill a woman or child.
(d) Die before his first kill.
6. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
(a) The whole community.
(b) The women.
(c) Chiefs only.
(d) The generals.
7. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) By their primary weapons.
(b) By their clothing style.
(c) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(d) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
8. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) In songs.
(b) Through priests.
(c) In picture form.
(d) In storytelling.
9. Why would the Cotini be more ashamed than other tribes because they worked in the iron mines of Germany?
(a) The iron mines were considered as low of a job as a slave.
(b) They could have used the iron to make weapons instead of tribute to the Romans.
(c) It was disgraceful against the German kings to mine the iron for anyone else.
(d) Iron mines were considered base because of its disturbance to the outdoor altars.
10. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
11. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
(a) By the beauty of his horse.
(b) In his number of kills.
(c) By his retinue.
(d) By his possession of gold.
12. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(a) Accurate account of wealth.
(b) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
(c) Violence and war.
13. The German peoples can be described as __________.
14. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) Enough gold and silver.
(b) Enough cattle and sheep.
(c) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(d) A fair duel.
15. What unique characteristic was observed in the Germans' holy places?
(a) The temples were open roofed.
(b) They were in the woods and groves.
(c) They only fit one family at a time.
(d) They were open only at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What held back efficiency in a German assembly of chiefs?
2. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
3. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
4. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
5. What did Germans fear for their women?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)