|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
2. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
(a) Gambled his freedom away.
(b) Lacked a kill by the age of fifteen.
(c) Surrendered his shield.
(d) Commited adultery.
3. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
(b) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(c) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
(d) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
4. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) In a sheep's cry.
(b) Via tea leaves.
(c) From cattle manure.
(d) Listening to special horses.
5. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
6. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
7. Tacitus criticized the Sitones more than other German tribes because of what cultural difference?
(a) Men were in war so the women trained the boys at home for war.
(b) The women were allowed to fight next to the men.
(c) They were polygamous.
(d) The women were the ruling sex.
8. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
(a) Early 6th century.
(b) 9th century.
(c) Early 16th century.
(d) 100 A.D.
9. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
(a) They did not consider autumn.
(b) They only had two seasons.
(c) They used the lunar calendar.
(d) They could not grow wheat.
10. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(a) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
(b) Accurate account of wealth.
(d) Violence and war.
11. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
(a) They were granted citizenship.
(b) They were allowed beyond the banks to trade inland.
(c) They were considered neutral and never attacked.
(d) They were not taxed.
12. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
(d) A disc shape.
13. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
(b) Start a war.
(c) Be involved in politics.
(d) Be involved in philosophy.
14. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
(a) Lack of seriousness.
(b) Grudges against one another.
(c) Intemperance of drink.
15. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Kept silence.
(b) Said "Ja."
(c) Nodded their heads.
(d) Clashed their weapons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
2. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
3. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
4. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
5. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)