|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
(b) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
(c) Their steady chants.
(d) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
2. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
(b) Infestation of a corn beetle.
(c) The people looted after a great fire.
3. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Osi.
(b) The Nevii.
(c) The Batavi.
(d) The Treviri.
4. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(b) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(c) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(d) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
5. What was so unique about the German tribe Chauci?
(a) They sung during battle.
(b) They were pacifists.
(c) They wore their hair long.
(d) They dwelled in peace as well as in war.
6. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
7. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) Enough gold and silver.
(b) A fair duel.
(c) Enough cattle and sheep.
(d) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
8. Why would the Cotini be more ashamed than other tribes because they worked in the iron mines of Germany?
(a) Iron mines were considered base because of its disturbance to the outdoor altars.
(b) The iron mines were considered as low of a job as a slave.
(c) They could have used the iron to make weapons instead of tribute to the Romans.
(d) It was disgraceful against the German kings to mine the iron for anyone else.
9. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) Through priests.
(b) In songs.
(c) In picture form.
(d) In storytelling.
10. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
(d) The Tungri.
11. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
(c) A disc shape.
12. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
13. Present knowledge shows which group immigrated into Britain at least three separate times?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Vikings.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The Gauls.
14. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
(b) To unite valour before battle.
(c) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
(d) To impress a female with a handsome song.
15. What did Germans fear for their women?
(a) An impoverished life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
2. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
3. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
4. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
5. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)