|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
(c) A disc shape.
2. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Cut his hair.
(b) Kill a woman or child.
(c) Die before his first kill.
(d) Throw away his shield.
3. How did the German tribe Ubii show pride in being a Roman colony?
(a) They took on new Roman names.
(b) They wore togas.
(c) They kept out intruders at the Rhine.
(d) They voluntarily gave agricultural gifts at harvest.
4. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
(c) Battle axes.
5. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
(a) Be involved in politics.
(b) Be involved in philosophy.
(c) Start a war.
6. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
(a) Chiefs only.
(b) The women.
(c) The generals.
(d) The whole community.
7. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Treviri.
(b) The Batavi.
(c) The Nevii.
(d) The Osi.
8. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) In picture form.
(b) Through priests.
(c) In songs.
(d) In storytelling.
9. In addition to arms as gifts, what had the Romans influenced the Germans to accept as gifts?
10. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
(b) To unite valour before battle.
(c) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
(d) To impress a female with a handsome song.
11. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
12. What did Germans fear for their women?
(d) An impoverished life.
13. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) A fair duel.
(b) Enough cattle and sheep.
(c) Enough gold and silver.
(d) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
14. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) Via tea leaves.
(b) In a sheep's cry.
(c) From cattle manure.
(d) Listening to special horses.
15. What was so unique about the German tribe Chauci?
(a) They sung during battle.
(b) They wore their hair long.
(c) They were pacifists.
(d) They dwelled in peace as well as in war.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
2. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
3. Without proper weapons, shelter, or horses, Tacitus described the Fenni as __________.
4. The German peoples can be described as __________.
5. How did having children help Agricola's career?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)