|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
(a) Blue eyes, red hair, with big frames.
(b) Large and hairy.
(c) Short, freckly, with red hair.
(d) Dark hair and stout.
2. What was so unique about the German tribe Chauci?
(a) They sung during battle.
(b) They dwelled in peace as well as in war.
(c) They wore their hair long.
(d) They were pacifists.
3. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
(a) They worked in the home until they proved they can fight.
(b) They shaved and showed no beard until they survived a battle.
(c) Took their mother's name until their first war, then they were given their father's name.
(d) They continued to grow their hair until their first enemy kill.
4. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
5. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(b) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(c) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(d) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
6. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
(c) Battle axes.
7. How did having children help Agricola's career?
(a) Fathers got special privileges.
(b) He gained more sympathy from his peers.
(c) It kept him home more often.
(d) He gained sympathy from Domitian.
8. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
9. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Nevii.
(b) The Osi.
(c) The Treviri.
(d) The Batavi.
10. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
(a) Their steady chants.
(b) Deliberate movements rather than quick rushes.
(c) Their impressive unified steps into the beginning of a battle.
(d) They kept an unwavering flag throughout battle.
11. How were ancient German records kept?
(a) In songs.
(b) In storytelling.
(c) In picture form.
(d) Through priests.
12. Present knowledge shows which group immigrated into Britain at least three separate times?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) The Celts.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Gauls.
13. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
(a) The man offered the dowry, not the woman.
(b) Mothers chose the bride and groom.
(c) The woman offered the dowry, not the man.
(d) They were encouraged to marry outside the clan.
14. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It "ate the mind."
(b) It was a poor man's study.
(c) It was too pretentious.
(d) It was too inactive.
15. In addition to arms as gifts, what had the Romans influenced the Germans to accept as gifts?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
2. German strength in fighting was best seen in their __________.
3. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
4. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
5. Who was the earth-born god of the Germans?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)