|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
(a) He never fought in a battle.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) His triumphs were shams.
(d) He commited suicide.
2. How was Arminius received at home after his win over Quintillius?
(a) He was paraded around.
(b) They looked upon him suspiciously of the truth.
(c) He was killed by his enemies that were his own countrymen.
(d) He was neither celebrated nor thought of.
3. Of the following, what was more resented by the people than tax?
(a) Profiteering tricks.
(b) The emperor's power.
(c) The lack of citizenship.
(d) Occupation of the Roman army.
4. What did Domitian offer Agricola for his triumph?
(a) A post in Germany.
(c) A parade.
5. What did Tacitus falsely believe Britain had that was worth conquering?
(a) Excellent cattle and sheep.
(b) Good farming lands.
(c) Gold and silver.
6. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
(a) He was a Senator during tyranny.
(b) He lacked in military success.
(c) He failed to be as great as Agricola.
(d) He failed to prevent Agricola's poisoning.
7. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
(a) It showed how British history influenced Roman culture.
(b) It was a warning to the Roman Empire of their dangerous presence.
(c) It compared how much Agricola did for the Empire.
(d) It showed how the Roman Empire improved British lives.
8. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
(b) Carelessness in geography and military history.
(c) Exaggeration of stories.
(d) Carelessness in proper names and dates.
9. For what reason would the Romans not bother to conquer a country?
(a) It did not have any form of resource.
(b) It lacked good agricultural lands.
(c) It was a poor country.
(d) No reason. They would conquer any country.
10. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
(a) They sailed around North Britain, starved and were mistaken as pirates.
(b) They had the best victory over Roman legions in history.
(c) They almost drowned in stormy seas off the coast of Britain.
(d) They ran into the Fenni and were almost eaten by them.
11. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
(a) His wife commited adultery.
(b) A fake triumph in Britain.
(c) A fake triumph in Germany.
(d) His son was a coward in battle.
12. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
(d) Cimbri and Teutoni.
13. Who was ruling the Roman Empire when Gallic tribes revolted against Rome and proclaimed their own empire?
14. Tired of Roman rule, under whom did the British unit to revolt while Paulinus was in Britain?
(c) King Cogidumnus.
15. Agricola called on whose help to equalize the sword fighting skills of the British?
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The Batavians and Tungrians.
(c) The Praetorian Guards.
(d) The cavalry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were officials chosen for provinces?
2. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
3. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
4. What benefit was there for Agricola when he married Domitia Decidiana?
5. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)