|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Tacitus' time, a person who wrote an autobiography was considered to be__________.
(c) Not worth reading about.
2. How did the British help the Romans succeed in conquering more regions?
(a) The British underestimated the Roman leaders and was not prepared for war.
(b) The British allied with the Romans on campaigns into Germany.
(c) The British tribes fought against one another.
(d) The British were fooled to give away their horses to the Romans.
3. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
(a) The infantry.
(b) The weaponry.
(c) The cavalry.
(d) The knowledge of the lands.
4. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
5. Agricola called on whose help to equalize the sword fighting skills of the British?
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The cavalry.
(c) The Praetorian Guards.
(d) The Batavians and Tungrians.
6. The beginning years of British conquest can be described as __________.
(a) The Romans fighting against a brick wall with no arms.
(b) A rollover of the British isle by the Romans.
(c) A slow but progressive campaign by the Romans.
(d) A swing of victories between both parties.
7. Of the following, what was more resented by the people than tax?
(a) The lack of citizenship.
(b) The emperor's power.
(c) Occupation of the Roman army.
(d) Profiteering tricks.
8. What happened to the emperor of Rome?
(a) Killed in battle.
(c) Understood the significance of the Senate during his reign.
(d) Died in old age.
9. What other country did Agricola want to conquer in order to surround Britain?
10. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
(a) His son was a coward in battle.
(b) A fake triumph in Germany.
(c) His wife commited adultery.
(d) A fake triumph in Britain.
11. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
(a) Julius Caesar.
12. According to a Caledonian, what kept the Gauls and Germans under Roman rule?
(a) Lack of warfare experience.
(c) The benefits under Roman rule.
(d) Terror and intimidation.
13. When Agricola returned to Rome, why did he intentionally return at night?
(a) The parade was more fun at night.
(b) To surprise his wife.
(c) To avoid publicity.
(d) To avoid Domitian.
14. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
(a) It showed how the Roman Empire improved British lives.
(b) It was a warning to the Roman Empire of their dangerous presence.
(c) It compared how much Agricola did for the Empire.
(d) It showed how British history influenced Roman culture.
15. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
(b) Cimbri and Teutoni.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
2. What did Otho's fleet do to Agricola?
3. Which Caledonian addressed the British men to inspire courage against the Romans?
4. How was Agricola's death received in general?
5. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)