|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
(a) He was a Senator during tyranny.
(b) He failed to prevent Agricola's poisoning.
(c) He lacked in military success.
(d) He failed to be as great as Agricola.
2. How was Arminius received at home after his win over Quintillius?
(a) He was paraded around.
(b) He was neither celebrated nor thought of.
(c) They looked upon him suspiciously of the truth.
(d) He was killed by his enemies that were his own countrymen.
3. How were officials chosen for provinces?
(a) By the people.
(b) By the praetorian guards.
(c) The emperor chose for all provinces.
(d) The Senate chose for peaceful provinces and the emperor for restless ones.
4. In the battle against the united British tribes on Mount Graupius, how did the number of fallen compare?
(a) 10,000 British, 360 Romans.
(b) 1000 British, 1000 Romans.
(c) 500 British, 300 Romans.
(d) 360 British, 10,000 Romans.
5. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
(b) Too sparse in public opinion.
(c) A happy medium.
(d) Strictly prohibitive.
6. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
7. What was Agricola's motivation to conquer Britain?
(a) He wanted a triumph.
(b) He wanted to get the emperor jealous.
(c) He wanted to impress his father.
(d) Roman destiny.
8. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
9. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
(a) Via Domitian's excessive praise.
(b) Through Tacitus' writings.
(c) Trajan wrote a famous eulogy.
(d) The number of archaelogical evidence of his forts.
10. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
(a) Enlisted in the army.
(b) Worked in the emperor's household.
(c) Became a slave for seven years.
(d) Gave useful military information.
11. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
(b) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
(c) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
(d) The amount of trade that occurred.
12. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
13. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
(a) By Mattingly's history research.
(b) By Trajan's detailed accounts.
(c) By Tacitus' detailed accounts.
(d) Through archaelogical excavation.
14. Agricola was brought up with an education in __________.
(a) German history.
(b) Liberal arts.
(c) Martial arts.
(d) British history.
15. Tacitus noted that __________ were often confused with Germans by the "civilized."
(a) The Spaniards.
(b) The Osi.
(c) The Celtics.
(d) The Gauls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
2. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
3. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
4. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
5. How did Agricola help rectify the treasury?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)