|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
(a) The knowledge of the lands.
(b) The weaponry.
(c) The infantry.
(d) The cavalry.
2. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
(a) Tacitus actively promoted the idea to everyone.
(b) He was the only one who kept Domitian in line.
(c) He was charming and convincing with the enemy.
(d) The other generals were failures.
3. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
(d) Cimbri and Teutoni.
4. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
(c) Julius Caesar.
5. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(a) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
(c) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(d) One of the best.
6. Tired of Roman rule, under whom did the British unit to revolt while Paulinus was in Britain?
(d) King Cogidumnus.
7. How did Agricola take advantage of his first victory?
(a) He asked for a parade.
(b) He took a promotion.
(c) He did not.
(d) He took the majority of the spoils.
8. Who was ruling the Roman Empire when Gallic tribes revolted against Rome and proclaimed their own empire?
9. What political harmony did Tacitus wish to see in the Roman Republic?
(a) The Roman Empire and the German tribes.
(b) The Senate and the Praetorian Guards.
(c) Autocracy and freedom.
(d) Harmony between the Emperor and Senate.
10. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
(b) The amount of trade that occurred.
(c) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
(d) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
11. What did Agricola not live to see?
(a) His daughter get married.
(b) Domitian seige the Senate.
(c) Britain revolt and gain back all its land.
(d) Germany cross the Rhine into Roman territory.
12. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
13. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
(a) He believed Germans would make great slaves.
(b) He believed Germans had much to offer Roman civilization.
(c) He believed Germans were a constant threat.
(d) He believed Germans were desecendants from the same gods.
14. What would help a defendant of a crime if Agricola was the judge of punishment?
(a) Willingness to give service in the Roman army.
(b) Genuine repentance.
(c) Absolute evidence of innocence.
15. Of the following, which title did Tacitus never hold?
Short Answer Questions
1. What other country did Agricola want to conquer in order to surround Britain?
2. How did Agricola help rectify the treasury?
3. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
4. Who helped Nerva bring the praetorian guards to obedience?
5. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)