|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Agricola best known for?
(a) His tactics and forts.
(b) His diplomatic skills.
(c) His oratory skills.
(d) His ability to execute a surprise attack.
2. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
(a) The weaponry.
(b) The infantry.
(c) The cavalry.
(d) The knowledge of the lands.
3. What did Domitian offer Agricola for his triumph?
(c) A parade.
(d) A post in Germany.
4. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) A fierce ruler.
(b) A united kingdom.
(c) Power over drinking.
(d) Roman discipline.
5. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
6. Agricola called on whose help to equalize the sword fighting skills of the British?
(a) The Batavians and Tungrians.
(b) The cavalry.
(c) The Gauls.
(d) The Praetorian Guards.
7. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
(a) Through Tacitus' writings.
(b) Trajan wrote a famous eulogy.
(c) Via Domitian's excessive praise.
(d) The number of archaelogical evidence of his forts.
8. How were officials chosen for provinces?
(a) By the people.
(b) The Senate chose for peaceful provinces and the emperor for restless ones.
(c) By the praetorian guards.
(d) The emperor chose for all provinces.
9. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
(a) Its culture.
(b) Its geography.
(c) Its climate.
(d) Agricola's role in the isle.
10. What did Otho's fleet do to Agricola?
(a) Murdered his mother and plundered her fortunes.
(b) Denied his power as consul and disobeyed his orders.
(c) Surprise attacked him from the rear.
(d) Poisoned him.
11. What did Tacitus falsely believe Britain had that was worth conquering?
(a) Excellent cattle and sheep.
(c) Gold and silver.
(d) Good farming lands.
12. What happened to the emperor of Rome?
(b) Understood the significance of the Senate during his reign.
(c) Died in old age.
(d) Killed in battle.
13. Where did Agricola stand when fighting with his men?
(a) He did not fight in the battlegrounds.
(b) In the very front.
(c) In the middle as his men surrounded him.
(d) In the back.
14. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
15. How did the British help the Romans succeed in conquering more regions?
(a) The British tribes fought against one another.
(b) The British were fooled to give away their horses to the Romans.
(c) The British allied with the Romans on campaigns into Germany.
(d) The British underestimated the Roman leaders and was not prepared for war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the outcome when the British launched a night attack on the 9th legion?
2. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
3. Tacitus felt what lesson was the hardest to remember in philosophy?
4. Of the following, which title did Tacitus never hold?
5. When Agricola returned to Rome, why did he intentionally return at night?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)