|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
(d) Passion for war.
2. Tacitus felt the only form of wealth Germans had was __________.
(b) Their population number.
(d) Cereal crops.
3. How did Agricola's father get Gaius the emperor angry at him?
(a) He defied orders and refused to conquer Britain.
(b) He attempted murder on one of his favorite Senators.
(c) He was famous and succeeded in life.
(d) He defied orders and campaigned past the Rhine.
4. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
(a) Intemperance of drink.
(b) Lack of seriousness.
(c) Grudges against one another.
5. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
(b) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
(c) The amount of trade that occurred.
(d) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
2. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
3. What did Germans fear for their women?
4. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
5. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)