|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
(a) The width between Britain and Spain was not as far as assumed.
(b) They had a large expanse of tidal currents.
(c) They rushed to the ends of the earth.
(d) They were easy to sail and row through.
2. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
3. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To unite valour before battle.
(b) To impress a female with a handsome song.
(c) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
(d) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
4. Tacitus noted that __________ were often confused with Germans by the "civilized."
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The Celtics.
(c) The Spaniards.
(d) The Osi.
5. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) A fair duel.
(b) Enough gold and silver.
(c) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(d) Enough cattle and sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
2. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
3. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
4. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
5. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)