|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
(a) Its climate.
(b) Agricola's role in the isle.
(c) Its geography.
(d) Its culture.
2. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
(a) Start a war.
(b) Be involved in philosophy.
(d) Be involved in politics.
3. How did Agricola's father get Gaius the emperor angry at him?
(a) He attempted murder on one of his favorite Senators.
(b) He was famous and succeeded in life.
(c) He defied orders and refused to conquer Britain.
(d) He defied orders and campaigned past the Rhine.
4. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
(a) They rushed to the ends of the earth.
(b) They had a large expanse of tidal currents.
(c) The width between Britain and Spain was not as far as assumed.
(d) They were easy to sail and row through.
5. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) Power over drinking.
(b) A united kingdom.
(c) A fierce ruler.
(d) Roman discipline.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Agricola's death received in general?
2. How did the British help the Romans succeed in conquering more regions?
3. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
4. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
5. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)