|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Agricola stand when fighting with his men?
(a) In the very front.
(b) In the back.
(c) In the middle as his men surrounded him.
(d) He did not fight in the battlegrounds.
2. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
(a) It was a warning to the Roman Empire of their dangerous presence.
(b) It showed how British history influenced Roman culture.
(c) It showed how the Roman Empire improved British lives.
(d) It compared how much Agricola did for the Empire.
3. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
(a) By Tacitus' detailed accounts.
(b) Through archaelogical excavation.
(c) By Trajan's detailed accounts.
(d) By Mattingly's history research.
4. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(b) A political tone of moderation.
(c) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(d) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
5. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
(a) Its geography.
(b) Agricola's role in the isle.
(c) Its culture.
(d) Its climate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
2. Before Tacitus' time, a person who wrote an autobiography was considered to be__________.
3. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
4. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
5. Tired of Roman rule, under whom did the British unit to revolt while Paulinus was in Britain?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)