|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was ruling the Roman Empire when Gallic tribes revolted against Rome and proclaimed their own empire?
2. How was Agricola's death received in general?
(a) Domitian disallowed grievance over Agricola.
(b) Many did not notice.
(c) The enemies celebrated.
(d) It seemed to concern everyone.
3. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
(a) Through archaelogical excavation.
(b) By Tacitus' detailed accounts.
(c) By Mattingly's history research.
(d) By Trajan's detailed accounts.
4. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
(a) Tacitus actively promoted the idea to everyone.
(b) He was the only one who kept Domitian in line.
(c) He was charming and convincing with the enemy.
(d) The other generals were failures.
5. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) The amount of trade that occurred.
(b) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
(c) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
(d) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
2. What did Agricola not live to see?
3. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
4. Before Tacitus' time, a person who wrote an autobiography was considered to be__________.
5. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)