|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
(a) A.D. 500-1115.
(b) A.D. 50-115.
(c) B.C. 50-115.
(d) A.D. 85-150.
2. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
(a) He kept them at the Rhine.
(b) He ignored their presence and concentrated on Britain.
(c) He advanced to the Elbe.
(d) He advanced over the Rhine.
3. Of the following, what was more resented by the people than tax?
(a) The emperor's power.
(b) The lack of citizenship.
(c) Profiteering tricks.
(d) Occupation of the Roman army.
4. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) A fierce ruler.
(b) Power over drinking.
(c) Roman discipline.
(d) A united kingdom.
5. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
(a) Passion for war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus felt what lesson was the hardest to remember in philosophy?
2. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
3. How did Agricola's arrival in Britain differ from the usual arrival of a new governor?
4. Tacitus credited whom for Roman successes?
5. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)