|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(b) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
(c) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(d) A political tone of moderation.
2. What was Agricola best known for?
(a) His diplomatic skills.
(b) His ability to execute a surprise attack.
(c) His oratory skills.
(d) His tactics and forts.
3. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
(a) Be loyal.
4. The British speech Tacitus paraphrased in "The Agricola" that was used to rally against the Romans can be summed up in which statement?
(a) A house divided against itself cannot stand.
(b) The Romans are all bark and no bite.
(c) Show the Romans they are biting off more than they can chew.
(d) Action speaks louder than words.
5. What was the outcome when the British launched a night attack on the 9th legion?
(a) Despite the surprise, the sheer number outweighed the British and the 9th legion won.
(b) Agricola followed and attacked the British from the rear.
(c) The British succeeded and brought the momentum into future battles.
(d) The 9th legion lost many and got incorporated into Agricola's legion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Domitian receive news of Agricola's successes?
2. How did Tacitus handle his political position under an emperor?
3. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
4. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
5. Agricola called on whose help to equalize the sword fighting skills of the British?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)