|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Arminius received at home after his win over Quintillius?
(a) He was neither celebrated nor thought of.
(b) They looked upon him suspiciously of the truth.
(c) He was killed by his enemies that were his own countrymen.
(d) He was paraded around.
2. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) A fierce ruler.
(b) Roman discipline.
(c) A united kingdom.
(d) Power over drinking.
3. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
(a) Tacitus actively promoted the idea to everyone.
(b) He was the only one who kept Domitian in line.
(c) The other generals were failures.
(d) He was charming and convincing with the enemy.
4. What did Tacitus credit to changing the Gaul's warlike past?
(a) Their inferiority to German warriors.
(b) Tacitus' famous oration on peace.
(d) Peace within Roman life.
5. What did Tacitus falsely believe Britain had that was worth conquering?
(a) Excellent cattle and sheep.
(b) Gold and silver.
(c) Good farming lands.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
2. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
3. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
4. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
5. Who was ruling the Roman Empire when Gallic tribes revolted against Rome and proclaimed their own empire?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)