|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
(a) He failed to prevent Agricola's poisoning.
(b) He failed to be as great as Agricola.
(c) He was a Senator during tyranny.
(d) He lacked in military success.
2. What did Tacitus falsely believe Britain had that was worth conquering?
(a) Excellent cattle and sheep.
(b) Gold and silver.
(c) Good farming lands.
3. What happened to Britain's hold after Agricola left?
(a) Little change occurred.
(b) There was a steady weakening of Roman hold.
(c) Many forts were abandoned.
(d) Everything won had been lost.
4. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
(a) He advanced over the Rhine.
(b) He advanced to the Elbe.
(c) He ignored their presence and concentrated on Britain.
(d) He kept them at the Rhine.
5. Tacitus credited whom for Roman successes?
(a) The great line of emperors.
(b) The Roman people.
(c) The enemies for their own faults.
(d) The governors of the provinces.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
2. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
3. How did Agricola help rectify the treasury?
4. How did Tacitus handle his political position under an emperor?
5. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)