|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
(a) He sent a messenger with a surrender's note.
(b) He went where the action was.
(c) He decided to wait and see.
(d) He asked the emperor what he should do.
2. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(b) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
(c) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(d) A political tone of moderation.
3. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
(a) He advanced to the Elbe.
(b) He ignored their presence and concentrated on Britain.
(c) He advanced over the Rhine.
(d) He kept them at the Rhine.
4. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
(b) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
(c) The amount of trade that occurred.
(d) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
5. The German peoples can be described as __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rome want to conquer Britain?
2. What was a common duty for German men to do when not partaking in war?
3. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
4. How did Agricola's father get Gaius the emperor angry at him?
5. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)