|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) A political tone of moderation.
(b) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(c) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(d) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
2. Where did Agricola stand when fighting with his men?
(a) In the middle as his men surrounded him.
(b) In the back.
(c) In the very front.
(d) He did not fight in the battlegrounds.
3. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
(a) He ignored their presence and concentrated on Britain.
(b) He kept them at the Rhine.
(c) He advanced to the Elbe.
(d) He advanced over the Rhine.
4. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
(a) He was charming and convincing with the enemy.
(b) He was the only one who kept Domitian in line.
(c) Tacitus actively promoted the idea to everyone.
(d) The other generals were failures.
5. What benefit was there for Agricola when he married Domitia Decidiana?
(a) A closer relationship to the governor of Britain.
(b) A closer relationship with Domitian.
(c) Social distinction.
(d) Greater monetary wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were officials chosen for provinces?
2. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
3. Who was ruling the Roman Empire when Gallic tribes revolted against Rome and proclaimed their own empire?
4. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
5. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)