|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
(a) They believed gold and silver were the best metal for weaponry.
(b) They were acquired greedily by the wealthy.
(c) They used it for trade between Germans only.
(d) They had no personal taste for it.
2. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
(a) They were easy to sail and row through.
(b) They rushed to the ends of the earth.
(c) The width between Britain and Spain was not as far as assumed.
(d) They had a large expanse of tidal currents.
3. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
(a) It showed how British history influenced Roman culture.
(b) It compared how much Agricola did for the Empire.
(c) It was a warning to the Roman Empire of their dangerous presence.
(d) It showed how the Roman Empire improved British lives.
4. Who helped Nerva bring the praetorian guards to obedience?
5. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
(a) He was Agricola's son-in-law.
(b) He was Agricola's military right hand man.
(c) They had no direct relationship.
(d) He was Agricola's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
2. The German peoples can be described as __________.
3. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
4. Before Tacitus' time, a person who wrote an autobiography was considered to be__________.
5. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)