|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
2. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
3. Angel and Tess agree to separate. What does Angel tell Tess when they part?
4. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
5. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
Essay Topic 1
When the three dairymaids who are in love with Angel find out that he is to marry Tess, they react in very different ways. What do their reactions tell us about their true character(s)? You can either compare and contrast the reactions of all three, or choose one character to focus on. In either case, make sure you use examples from the text to expand and support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 51, Tess contemplates the burial monuments of her ancestors, saying, "Why am I on the wrong side?" Is death the only realistic fate for Tess from here on? Or is there still a way that she could escape her 'fate'?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Alec and Angel. As archetypes, what do these two characters contribute to Hardy's overall message or theme?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)