|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Marlott, Angel discovers what?
2. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
3. While Tess is working in the fields at Flintcomb Ash, Alec appears and asks Tess to ____.
4. What do Angel and Liza Lu see from the hill behind the prison that tells them Tess is dead?
5. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
2. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
3. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
4. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
5. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
6. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
7. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
8. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
9. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
10. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tess decides to go to Talbothays Dairy to work as a dairymaid, it is clear that she wants to get away from the past. But Hardy says that she is also partially motivated by "the invincible instinct towards self-delight." Discuss what he means by this, and whether you think it applies to Tess. Make sure you use concrete examples from the text to back up what you say.
Essay Topic 2
Tess names her baby Sorrow. What is the significance of this name? And what is implied by the scene in which Tess buries Sorrow in a corner of the churchyard reserved for the 'ungodly.' Is this the point at which Tess loses her religious faith?
Essay Topic 3
Alec asks Tess to wear a veil so that she won't tempt him. Then he asks her to swear on a holy icon that she will never tempt him again. What does this scene say about Alec's attitude towards Tess particularly, and women in general?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)