|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess discovers that the Queen of Spades also works at the farm. What other name is she known by?
2. Angel finally learns that Tess is where?
3. What do Angel and Liza Lu see from the hill behind the prison that tells them Tess is dead?
4. In Chapter 36, who says "I think of people more kindly when I am away from them."
5. Angel wakes one morning to find that he and Tess are surrounded by ____ men.
Short Essay Questions
1. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
2. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
3. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
4. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
5. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
6. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
7. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
8. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
9. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
10. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess names her baby Sorrow. What is the significance of this name? And what is implied by the scene in which Tess buries Sorrow in a corner of the churchyard reserved for the 'ungodly.' Is this the point at which Tess loses her religious faith?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 46 Tess says, "How can I pray for you, when I am forbidden to believe that the great Power who moves the world would alter his plans on my account?" How is this to be interpreted, in light of all that has happened to her? Is she becoming cynical? Bitter? Or is she simply being realistic?
Essay Topic 3
Tess has been portrayed throughout as a good and moral person with a great deal of integrity who is consistently trying to do the right thing. However, when she arrives at her parents' house and finds that they are angry at her for leaving Angel, she leaves them half her money and goes away, telling them she is joining Angel at a new farm. In other words, she lies. Is this consistent with her earlier behavior? Or, does this suggest that there are other things motivating her, as well as moral 'right'? If so, what?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)