|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
2. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
3. How does Marian react to the marriage?
4. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
5. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
2. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
3. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
4. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
5. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
6. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
7. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
8. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
9. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
10. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the three dairymaids who are in love with Angel find out that he is to marry Tess, they react in very different ways. What do their reactions tell us about their true character(s)? You can either compare and contrast the reactions of all three, or choose one character to focus on. In either case, make sure you use examples from the text to expand and support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 46 Tess says, "How can I pray for you, when I am forbidden to believe that the great Power who moves the world would alter his plans on my account?" How is this to be interpreted, in light of all that has happened to her? Is she becoming cynical? Bitter? Or is she simply being realistic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)