|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tess find out from Marian?
2. How does Marian react to the marriage?
3. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
4. Alec prepares a surprise for Tess for after their marriage. What?
5. How does Tess feel when she finds herself taken into captivity?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
2. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
3. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
4. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
5. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
6. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
7. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
8. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
9. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
10. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various points throughout the book, Tess seems undecided about whether she should tell Angel about her past. Do you think she should tell him, or not? If so, when should she tell him? In either case, back up your opinion with good reasons.
Essay Topic 2
When the three dairymaids who are in love with Angel find out that he is to marry Tess, they react in very different ways. What do their reactions tell us about their true character(s)? You can either compare and contrast the reactions of all three, or choose one character to focus on. In either case, make sure you use examples from the text to expand and support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Alec and Angel. As archetypes, what do these two characters contribute to Hardy's overall message or theme?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)