|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
2. What is Tess's punishment for the murder of Alec?
3. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
4. Angel wakes one morning to find that he and Tess are surrounded by ____ men.
5. In Chapter 37, what happens during the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
2. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
3. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
4. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
5. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
6. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
7. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
8. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
9. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
10. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tess decides to go to Talbothays Dairy to work as a dairymaid, it is clear that she wants to get away from the past. But Hardy says that she is also partially motivated by "the invincible instinct towards self-delight." Discuss what he means by this, and whether you think it applies to Tess. Make sure you use concrete examples from the text to back up what you say.
Essay Topic 2
When Tess tells Alec about her visit from Angel, he is both angry and mocking. Do you think his reaction is justified?
Essay Topic 3
Tess has been portrayed throughout as a good and moral person with a great deal of integrity who is consistently trying to do the right thing. However, when she arrives at her parents' house and finds that they are angry at her for leaving Angel, she leaves them half her money and goes away, telling them she is joining Angel at a new farm. In other words, she lies. Is this consistent with her earlier behavior? Or, does this suggest that there are other things motivating her, as well as moral 'right'? If so, what?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)