|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tess's punishment for the murder of Alec?
2. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
3. How does Marian react to the marriage?
4. Angel decides to go to _______.
5. What do Angel's parents read to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
2. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
3. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
4. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
5. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
6. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
7. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
8. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
9. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
10. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tess discovers that Alec has become a preacher, she doubts that his salvation is authentic. What do you think? Concentrate on Chapters 44 through 47 in answering this question.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Hardy describe Tess and Angel in terms of Adam and Eve? Discuss what this sort of description implies about their relationship, and the way they regard each other. Is there any hope for a relationship of this kind?
Essay Topic 3
When Tess tells Alec about her visit from Angel, he is both angry and mocking. Do you think his reaction is justified?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)