|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tess kill Alec?
2. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
3. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
4. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
5. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
2. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
3. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
4. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
5. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
6. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
7. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
8. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
9. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
10. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Alec and Angel. As archetypes, what do these two characters contribute to Hardy's overall message or theme?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 46 Tess says, "How can I pray for you, when I am forbidden to believe that the great Power who moves the world would alter his plans on my account?" How is this to be interpreted, in light of all that has happened to her? Is she becoming cynical? Bitter? Or is she simply being realistic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)