|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tess catches up with Angel and tells him she has killed Alec, the pair decide to _______.
2. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
3. Angel receives another letter, written anonymously by whom?
4. Tess discovers that the Queen of Spades also works at the farm. What other name is she known by?
5. Angel decides to go to _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
2. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
3. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
4. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
5. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
6. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
7. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
8. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
9. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
10. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess names her baby Sorrow. What is the significance of this name? And what is implied by the scene in which Tess buries Sorrow in a corner of the churchyard reserved for the 'ungodly.' Is this the point at which Tess loses her religious faith?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 51, Tess contemplates the burial monuments of her ancestors, saying, "Why am I on the wrong side?" Is death the only realistic fate for Tess from here on? Or is there still a way that she could escape her 'fate'?
Essay Topic 3
Some people read Hardy's work as a commentary on forms of oppression (religious, political, racial, social). Discuss, using at least three different examples from the text to back up your opinion.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)