|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 49, who does Tess learn has died?
2. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
3. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
4. In the morning, after the scene in the graveyard, Tess and Angel travel to _____.
5. In Chapter 52, Angel returns to ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
2. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
3. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
4. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
5. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
6. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
7. When Alec sees Tess while he is preaching, what does he ask her to do?
8. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
9. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
10. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Hardy's subtitle refers to a 'pure' woman. Discuss this idea of 'purity' with respect to the main character. Is Tess a 'pure woman' - why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Hardy describe Tess and Angel in terms of Adam and Eve? Discuss what this sort of description implies about their relationship, and the way they regard each other. Is there any hope for a relationship of this kind?
Essay Topic 3
What reason does Tess give Angel for having killed Alec? Do her reasons make sense? Do they justify her actions?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)