|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
2. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
3. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
4. In Chapter 41, while Tess is looking for work, she receives a letter telling her about a possible job. Where?
5. Angel's parents give him a letter from Tess. In the letter she ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alec sees Tess while he is preaching, what does he ask her to do?
2. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
3. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
4. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
5. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
6. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
7. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
8. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
9. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
10. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tess discovers that Alec has become a preacher, she doubts that his salvation is authentic. What do you think? Concentrate on Chapters 44 through 47 in answering this question.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 46 Tess says, "How can I pray for you, when I am forbidden to believe that the great Power who moves the world would alter his plans on my account?" How is this to be interpreted, in light of all that has happened to her? Is she becoming cynical? Bitter? Or is she simply being realistic?
Essay Topic 3
When Tess tells Alec about her visit from Angel, he is both angry and mocking. Do you think his reaction is justified?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)