|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To make herself unattractive, Tess _____.
2. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
3. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
4. Angel finally learns that Tess is where?
5. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
2. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
3. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
4. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
5. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
6. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
7. When Alec sees Tess while he is preaching, what does he ask her to do?
8. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
9. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
10. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various points throughout the book, Tess seems undecided about whether she should tell Angel about her past. Do you think she should tell him, or not? If so, when should she tell him? In either case, back up your opinion with good reasons.
Essay Topic 2
When Tess discovers that Alec has become a preacher, she doubts that his salvation is authentic. What do you think? Concentrate on Chapters 44 through 47 in answering this question.
Essay Topic 3
Alec asks Tess to wear a veil so that she won't tempt him. Then he asks her to swear on a holy icon that she will never tempt him again. What does this scene say about Alec's attitude towards Tess particularly, and women in general?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)