|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
2. Angel decides to go to _______.
3. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
4. In Chapter 36, who says "I think of people more kindly when I am away from them."
5. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
2. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
3. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
4. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
5. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
6. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
7. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
8. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
9. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
10. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tess discovers that Alec has become a preacher, she doubts that his salvation is authentic. What do you think? Concentrate on Chapters 44 through 47 in answering this question.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 51, Tess contemplates the burial monuments of her ancestors, saying, "Why am I on the wrong side?" Is death the only realistic fate for Tess from here on? Or is there still a way that she could escape her 'fate'?
Essay Topic 3
What reason does Tess give Angel for having killed Alec? Do her reasons make sense? Do they justify her actions?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)