|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel decides to go to _______.
2. Who is the owner of the farm at Flintcomb Ash where Tess finds work?
3. In Marlott, Angel discovers what?
4. In Chapter 37, what happens during the night?
5. To make herself unattractive, Tess _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
2. When Alec sees Tess while he is preaching, what does he ask her to do?
3. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
4. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
5. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
6. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
7. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
8. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
9. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
10. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tess decides to go to Talbothays Dairy to work as a dairymaid, it is clear that she wants to get away from the past. But Hardy says that she is also partially motivated by "the invincible instinct towards self-delight." Discuss what he means by this, and whether you think it applies to Tess. Make sure you use concrete examples from the text to back up what you say.
Essay Topic 2
When Tess tells Alec about her visit from Angel, he is both angry and mocking. Do you think his reaction is justified?
Essay Topic 3
What reason does Tess give Angel for having killed Alec? Do her reasons make sense? Do they justify her actions?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)