|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Marlott, Angel discovers what?
2. In Chapter 36, who says "I think of people more kindly when I am away from them."
3. Who does Tess see working the fields for her parents in Chapter 49?
4. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
5. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
2. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
3. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
4. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
5. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
6. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
7. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
8. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
9. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
10. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When the three dairymaids who are in love with Angel find out that he is to marry Tess, they react in very different ways. What do their reactions tell us about their true character(s)? You can either compare and contrast the reactions of all three, or choose one character to focus on. In either case, make sure you use examples from the text to expand and support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
When Tess tells Alec about her visit from Angel, he is both angry and mocking. Do you think his reaction is justified?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)