|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
2. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
3. While Tess is traveling through the woods on the journey she takes after learning that Angel asked someone else to go to Brazil with him, what does she find lying on the ground?
4. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
5. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
2. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
3. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
4. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
5. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
6. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
7. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
8. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
9. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
10. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess has been portrayed throughout as a good and moral person with a great deal of integrity who is consistently trying to do the right thing. However, when she arrives at her parents' house and finds that they are angry at her for leaving Angel, she leaves them half her money and goes away, telling them she is joining Angel at a new farm. In other words, she lies. Is this consistent with her earlier behavior? Or, does this suggest that there are other things motivating her, as well as moral 'right'? If so, what?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 51, Tess contemplates the burial monuments of her ancestors, saying, "Why am I on the wrong side?" Is death the only realistic fate for Tess from here on? Or is there still a way that she could escape her 'fate'?
Essay Topic 3
Alec asks Tess to wear a veil so that she won't tempt him. Then he asks her to swear on a holy icon that she will never tempt him again. What does this scene say about Alec's attitude towards Tess particularly, and women in general?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)