|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
2. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
3. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
4. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
5. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
2. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
3. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
4. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
5. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
6. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
7. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
8. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
9. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
10. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various points throughout the book, Tess seems undecided about whether she should tell Angel about her past. Do you think she should tell him, or not? If so, when should she tell him? In either case, back up your opinion with good reasons.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 47, Alec tells Tess that because she is the cause of his religious backsliding, she is obligated to marry him and share in his fate. What does he mean by this, and does his reasoning make any sense?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)