|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel finally learns that Tess is where?
2. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
3. After Angel returns from Brazil, he leaves his parents' home and sets out to look for Tess. Where does he go first to look for her?
4. Who discovers the murder?
5. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
2. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
3. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
4. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
5. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
6. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
7. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
8. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
9. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
10. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 51, Tess contemplates the burial monuments of her ancestors, saying, "Why am I on the wrong side?" Is death the only realistic fate for Tess from here on? Or is there still a way that she could escape her 'fate'?
Essay Topic 2
Tess has been portrayed throughout as a good and moral person with a great deal of integrity who is consistently trying to do the right thing. However, when she arrives at her parents' house and finds that they are angry at her for leaving Angel, she leaves them half her money and goes away, telling them she is joining Angel at a new farm. In other words, she lies. Is this consistent with her earlier behavior? Or, does this suggest that there are other things motivating her, as well as moral 'right'? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 47, Alec tells Tess that because she is the cause of his religious backsliding, she is obligated to marry him and share in his fate. What does he mean by this, and does his reasoning make any sense?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)