|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
2. Who is the owner of the farm at Flintcomb Ash where Tess finds work?
3. While Tess is traveling through the woods on the journey she takes after learning that Angel asked someone else to go to Brazil with him, what does she find lying on the ground?
4. When Tess tells Angel about her true past, how does she expect he will react?
5. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
Short Essay Questions
1. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
2. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
3. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
4. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
5. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
6. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
7. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
8. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
9. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
10. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tess discovers that Alec has become a preacher, she doubts that his salvation is authentic. What do you think? Concentrate on Chapters 44 through 47 in answering this question.
Essay Topic 2
Tess names her baby Sorrow. What is the significance of this name? And what is implied by the scene in which Tess buries Sorrow in a corner of the churchyard reserved for the 'ungodly.' Is this the point at which Tess loses her religious faith?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)