Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
2. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
3. Angel and Tess agree to separate. What does Angel tell Tess when they part?
4. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
5. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Tess is constantly pursued (by Angel, by Alec, by poverty, by bad luck, and perhaps by fate). Hardy makes this theme clear using a number of symbolic references, such as the scene with the dying pheasants, and reference to the place where Alec seduced her as "The Chase". Discuss at least three such symbols and say how they add to the overall atmosphere of oppression that surrounds Tess as 'the hunted' character.
Essay Topic 2
At various points throughout the book, Tess seems undecided about whether she should tell Angel about her past. Do you think she should tell him, or not? If so, when should she tell him? In either case, back up your opinion with good reasons.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 51, Tess contemplates the burial monuments of her ancestors, saying, "Why am I on the wrong side?" Is death the only realistic fate for Tess from here on? Or is there still a way that she could escape her 'fate'?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)