|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 41, while Tess is looking for work, she receives a letter telling her about a possible job. Where?
2. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
3. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
4. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
5. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
2. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
3. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
4. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
5. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
6. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
7. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
8. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
9. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
10. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Hardy's subtitle refers to a 'pure' woman. Discuss this idea of 'purity' with respect to the main character. Is Tess a 'pure woman' - why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Tess tells Alec about her visit from Angel, he is both angry and mocking. Do you think his reaction is justified?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)