Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
3. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
4. Where does Angel first see Tess?
5. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
2. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
3. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
4. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
5. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
6. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
7. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
8. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
9. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
10. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
Essay Topic 1
Tess names her baby Sorrow. What is the significance of this name? And what is implied by the scene in which Tess buries Sorrow in a corner of the churchyard reserved for the 'ungodly.' Is this the point at which Tess loses her religious faith?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 35, Angel accuses Tess of lacking morals. He blames this on her upbringing and heritage. From what you know of her parents, would you say he is right or wrong? Use concrete examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Alec asks Tess to wear a veil so that she won't tempt him. Then he asks her to swear on a holy icon that she will never tempt him again. What does this scene say about Alec's attitude towards Tess particularly, and women in general?
This section contains 1,919 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)