|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
2. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
3. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
4. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
5. In Chapter 12, what does Tess decide to do after she's been at the D'Urberville mansion for a few weeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
2. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
3. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
4. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
5. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
6. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
7. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
8. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
9. What story does Tess hear at the farm that makes her resolve (again) not to marry Angel?
10. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At various points throughout the book, Tess seems undecided about whether she should tell Angel about her past. Do you think she should tell him, or not? If so, when should she tell him? In either case, back up your opinion with good reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Tess has been portrayed throughout as a good and moral person with a great deal of integrity who is consistently trying to do the right thing. However, when she arrives at her parents' house and finds that they are angry at her for leaving Angel, she leaves them half her money and goes away, telling them she is joining Angel at a new farm. In other words, she lies. Is this consistent with her earlier behavior? Or, does this suggest that there are other things motivating her, as well as moral 'right'? If so, what?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)