|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What objection does Angel make to the woman his parents want him to marry?
2. Talbothays is located very close to ______.
3. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
4. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
5. How does Mr. Crick hear that the butter has a funny taste?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
2. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
3. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
4. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
5. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
6. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
7. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
8. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
9. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
10. Why does Tess feel threatened when she first sees Angel at Talbothays?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 47, Alec tells Tess that because she is the cause of his religious backsliding, she is obligated to marry him and share in his fate. What does he mean by this, and does his reasoning make any sense?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Tess decides to go to Talbothays Dairy to work as a dairymaid, it is clear that she wants to get away from the past. But Hardy says that she is also partially motivated by "the invincible instinct towards self-delight." Discuss what he means by this, and whether you think it applies to Tess. Make sure you use concrete examples from the text to back up what you say.
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)