|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
2. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
3. How does Mr. Crick hear that the butter has a funny taste?
4. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
5. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
2. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
3. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
4. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
5. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
6. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
7. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
8. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
9. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
10. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 47, Alec tells Tess that because she is the cause of his religious backsliding, she is obligated to marry him and share in his fate. What does he mean by this, and does his reasoning make any sense?
Essay Topic 2
At various points throughout the book, Tess seems undecided about whether she should tell Angel about her past. Do you think she should tell him, or not? If so, when should she tell him? In either case, back up your opinion with good reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)