|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
2. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
3. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
4. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
5. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
2. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
3. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
4. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
5. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
6. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
7. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
8. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
9. Describe the scene concerning the accident with the horse. What does that show about Tess's character?
10. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tess tells Alec about her visit from Angel, he is both angry and mocking. Do you think his reaction is justified?
Essay Topic 2
Some people read Hardy's work as a commentary on forms of oppression (religious, political, racial, social). Discuss, using at least three different examples from the text to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What reason does Tess give Angel for having killed Alec? Do her reasons make sense? Do they justify her actions?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)