Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
3. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
4. Where does Angel first see Tess?
5. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
2. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
3. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
4. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
5. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
6. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
7. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
8. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
9. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
10. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
Essay Topic 1
At various points throughout the book, Tess seems undecided about whether she should tell Angel about her past. Do you think she should tell him, or not? If so, when should she tell him? In either case, back up your opinion with good reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Some people read Hardy's work as a commentary on forms of oppression (religious, political, racial, social). Discuss, using at least three different examples from the text to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Tess has been portrayed throughout as a good and moral person with a great deal of integrity who is consistently trying to do the right thing. However, when she arrives at her parents' house and finds that they are angry at her for leaving Angel, she leaves them half her money and goes away, telling them she is joining Angel at a new farm. In other words, she lies. Is this consistent with her earlier behavior? Or, does this suggest that there are other things motivating her, as well as moral 'right'? If so, what?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)