|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
2. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
3. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
4. Tess takes a job as a ____ to support her baby.
5. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
2. Why does Tess feel threatened when she first sees Angel at Talbothays?
3. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
4. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
5. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
6. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
7. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
8. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
9. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
10. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Hardy describe Tess and Angel in terms of Adam and Eve? Discuss what this sort of description implies about their relationship, and the way they regard each other. Is there any hope for a relationship of this kind?
Essay Topic 2
Some people read Hardy's work as a commentary on forms of oppression (religious, political, racial, social). Discuss, using at least three different examples from the text to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 35, Angel accuses Tess of lacking morals. He blames this on her upbringing and heritage. From what you know of her parents, would you say he is right or wrong? Use concrete examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)