|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the dairy maids are out in the pasture searching for noxious weeds, Tess feels faint. What does Mr. Crick tell her?
2. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
3. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
4. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
5. Angel's two brothers are named Cuthert and ____?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
2. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
3. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
4. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
5. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
6. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
7. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
8. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
9. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
10. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the three dairymaids who are in love with Angel find out that he is to marry Tess, they react in very different ways. What do their reactions tell us about their true character(s)? You can either compare and contrast the reactions of all three, or choose one character to focus on. In either case, make sure you use examples from the text to expand and support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the 'double standard' that Angel embraces with respect to the relationships he and Tess have had in the past. Concentrate on Chapters 34 and 35. What do you think of Angel after this? Has your opinion of him changed. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What reason does Tess give Angel for having killed Alec? Do her reasons make sense? Do they justify her actions?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)