|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
3. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
4. Where does Angel first see Tess?
5. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
2. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
3. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
4. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
5. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
6. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
7. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
8. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
9. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
10. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
Essay Topic 1
When Tess tells Alec about her visit from Angel, he is both angry and mocking. Do you think his reaction is justified?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Alec and Angel. As archetypes, what do these two characters contribute to Hardy's overall message or theme?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Hardy's subtitle refers to a 'pure' woman. Discuss this idea of 'purity' with respect to the main character. Is Tess a 'pure woman' - why or why not?
This section contains 1,919 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)