|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
2. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
3. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
4. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
5. What does Tess finally decide the relationship between herself and Angel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
2. In Chapter 10, one of the characters says "Out of the frying pan into the fire!" What is meant by this, and why does Hardy include this scene?
3. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
4. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
5. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
6. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
7. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
8. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
9. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
10. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 47, Alec tells Tess that because she is the cause of his religious backsliding, she is obligated to marry him and share in his fate. What does he mean by this, and does his reasoning make any sense?
Essay Topic 2
When the three dairymaids who are in love with Angel find out that he is to marry Tess, they react in very different ways. What do their reactions tell us about their true character(s)? You can either compare and contrast the reactions of all three, or choose one character to focus on. In either case, make sure you use examples from the text to expand and support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
When Tess decides to go to Talbothays Dairy to work as a dairymaid, it is clear that she wants to get away from the past. But Hardy says that she is also partially motivated by "the invincible instinct towards self-delight." Discuss what he means by this, and whether you think it applies to Tess. Make sure you use concrete examples from the text to back up what you say.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)