|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Angel's parents live?
2. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
3. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
4. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
5. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
2. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
3. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
4. In Chapter 10, one of the characters says "Out of the frying pan into the fire!" What is meant by this, and why does Hardy include this scene?
5. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
6. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
7. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
8. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
9. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
10. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 35, Angel accuses Tess of lacking morals. He blames this on her upbringing and heritage. From what you know of her parents, would you say he is right or wrong? Use concrete examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 47, Alec tells Tess that because she is the cause of his religious backsliding, she is obligated to marry him and share in his fate. What does he mean by this, and does his reasoning make any sense?
Essay Topic 3
At various points throughout the book, Tess seems undecided about whether she should tell Angel about her past. Do you think she should tell him, or not? If so, when should she tell him? In either case, back up your opinion with good reasons.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)