|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
2. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
3. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
4. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
5. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
2. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
3. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
4. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
5. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
6. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
7. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
8. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
9. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
10. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess names her baby Sorrow. What is the significance of this name? And what is implied by the scene in which Tess buries Sorrow in a corner of the churchyard reserved for the 'ungodly.' Is this the point at which Tess loses her religious faith?
Essay Topic 2
Some people read Hardy's work as a commentary on forms of oppression (religious, political, racial, social). Discuss, using at least three different examples from the text to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What reason does Tess give Angel for having killed Alec? Do her reasons make sense? Do they justify her actions?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)