|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
(a) Forgives her, since her seduction by Alec was not her fault.
(b) He says she is not the person he thought he was marrying.
(c) Tells her he will forgive her but only if she obeys him.
(d) Says the past doesn't really matter.
2. While Tess is working in the fields at Flintcomb Ash, Alec appears and asks Tess to ____.
(a) Divorce Angel.
(b) Forgive him and forget what happened between them.
(d) Go to Africa with him as missionaries.
3. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
(a) Tells him she has rejected religion.
(b) Slaps him in the face with a horse whip.
(c) Slaps him on the face with her leather glove.
(d) Tells him she will tell her father that he is bothering her.
4. To make herself unattractive, Tess _____.
(a) Wears old clothes.
(b) Cuts off her eyebrows and her hair.
(c) Cuts off her eyebrows and pretends she has a toothache.
(d) Cuts her hair and wears old clothes.
5. Angel and Tess agree to separate. What does Angel tell Tess when they part?
(a) Not to follow him unless he sends for her.
(b) That he will always love her.
(c) That he hates her now.
(d) Not to forget him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
2. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
3. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
4. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
5. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
2. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
3. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
4. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
5. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
6. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
7. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
8. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
9. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
10. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)