|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
(a) To pretend they haven't seen her.
(b) Not to take her until she awakens.
(c) Not to hurt her.
(d) To take her before she wakes up.
2. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) A vacant manor.
(b) A vacant church.
(c) Under a bridge.
(d) A vacant cabin.
3. How does Marian react to the marriage?
(a) She refuses to speak to Tess.
(b) She tries to drown herself.
(c) She gets drunk.
(d) Quits her job and leaves the farm.
4. In Chapter 41, while Tess is looking for work, she receives a letter telling her about a possible job. Where?
(a) Flintcomb Ash.
(c) Vale of Froom.
5. In Chapter 51 Tess arrives at the new lodgings to find that ___.
(a) They are rat-infested.
(b) They are not large enough for everyone.
(c) They are more expensive than she thought.
(d) They have been rented to another family.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
2. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
3. Angel's parents give him a letter from Tess. In the letter she ____.
4. In Chapter 36, who says "I think of people more kindly when I am away from them."
5. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
2. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
3. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
4. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
5. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
6. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
7. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
8. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
9. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
10. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)