|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
(a) Liza Lu.
(c) Angel's father.
2. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
(b) Mercy Chant.
3. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
(a) New Year's Eve.
(b) The next September.
(c) Angel's birthday.
(d) Christmas Eve.
4. What do Angel's parents read to him?
(a) A biblical passage about forgiveness.
(b) A biblical passage about the imporance of marriage.
(c) A biblical passage about virtue.
(d) A biblical passage about pre-marital sex.
5. On the way back to Flintcomb Ash after her journey, what does Tess overhear from a nearby church?
(a) Pheasants gasping as they die.
(b) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(c) Alec giving a political speech.
(d) Alec preaching.
Short Answer Questions
1. After someone close to her dies, Tess decides to move the family to ____.
2. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
3. What does Tess find out from Marian?
4. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
5. Angel wakes one morning to find that he and Tess are surrounded by ____ men.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
2. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
3. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
4. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
5. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
6. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
7. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
8. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
9. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
10. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)