|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
(a) That he knows about her relationship with Alec.
(b) That he is color blind.
(c) That he seduced Rhetty before Tess came to the dairy.
(d) That he had an affair with a woman in London.
2. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
(b) A flock of injured geese.
(c) A flock of blackbirds.
(d) A flock of dying pheasants.
3. When Tess tells Angel about her true past, how does she expect he will react?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Be angry.
(c) Say it doesn't matter.
(d) Forgive her.
4. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
(a) That her father has been imprisoned for drunkenness.
(b) That her mother is dead.
(c) That her mother is dying.
(d) That her father is dying.
5. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
(b) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(c) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
(d) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
2. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
3. When Alec appears again, in Chapter 47, he blames Tess for ____.
4. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
5. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
2. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
3. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
4. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
5. When Alec sees Tess while he is preaching, what does he ask her to do?
6. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
7. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
8. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
9. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
10. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)