|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
(c) Mercy Chant.
2. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
(a) She asks him to marry Izz.
(b) She asks him to bury her body at sea.
(c) She asks him to bury her body at Stonehenge.
(d) She asks him to marry Liza Lu.
3. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
(a) A flock of dying pheasants.
(b) A flock of injured geese.
(c) A flock of blackbirds.
4. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
(b) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
(c) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
(d) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
5. How does Tess kill Alec?
(a) Stabs him in the heart with a carving knife.
(b) Stabs him in the back with a carving knife.
(c) Hits him on the head with a heavy carving.
(d) Drowns him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
2. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
3. Who does Tess see working the fields for her parents in Chapter 49?
4. After someone close to her dies, Tess decides to move the family to ____.
5. Tess sends a letter to ____ asking for advice about whether she should tell Angel the truth.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
2. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
3. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
4. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
5. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
6. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
7. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
8. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
9. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
10. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)