|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) A vacant church.
(b) Under a bridge.
(c) A vacant manor.
(d) A vacant cabin.
2. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
(a) She asks him to marry Liza Lu.
(b) She asks him to bury her body at sea.
(c) She asks him to bury her body at Stonehenge.
(d) She asks him to marry Izz.
3. While Tess is traveling through the woods on the journey she takes after learning that Angel asked someone else to go to Brazil with him, what does she find lying on the ground?
(a) A pair of boots.
(b) A key.
(c) A blood-stained cloth.
(d) A blood-stained piece of butcher paper.
4. What does Tess find out from Marian?
(a) That Angel asked Car Darch to go away with him.
(b) That Angel asked Liza Lu to go away with him.
(c) That Angel asked Izz to go away with him.
(d) That Angel asked Rhetty to go away with him.
5. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
(a) It is a symbol of chastity.
(b) It is a pagan symbol.
(c) It is a symbol of Christianity.
(d) It is a commemoration to someone who sold his soul to the devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what quote does Hardy end the tale?
2. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
3. When Tess catches up with Angel and tells him she has killed Alec, the pair decide to _______.
4. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
5. In Chapter 52, Angel returns to ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
2. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
3. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
4. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
5. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
6. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
7. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
8. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
9. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
10. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)