|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tess tells Alec of Angel's visit, how does he react?
(a) He tells her it's for the best that Angel is out of her life.
(b) He mocks her.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He feels sorry for her.
2. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
(b) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(c) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(d) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
3. In Chapter 46, who is Tess referring to when she says "He won't hurt me, he's not in love with me."
(b) Farmer Groby.
4. In Marlott, Angel discovers what?
(a) The burial plot of Tess's baby.
(b) The burial plot of Tess's mother.
(c) The burial plot of Tess's sister.
(d) The burial plot of Tess's father.
5. In the morning, after the scene in the graveyard, Tess and Angel travel to _____.
(c) His parents' home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Angel's parents read to him?
2. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
3. After someone close to her dies, Tess decides to move the family to ____.
4. In Chapter 41, while Tess is looking for work, she receives a letter telling her about a possible job. Where?
5. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
2. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
3. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
4. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
5. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
6. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
7. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
8. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
9. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
10. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)