|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
(b) Have the marriage annulled.
(c) Never speak of the matter again.
(d) Drown herself.
2. In the morning, after the scene in the graveyard, Tess and Angel travel to _____.
(c) His parents' home.
3. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(b) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
(c) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
4. In the last scene of the book, what do Angel and Liza Lu do?
(a) Walk away in different directions.
(b) Plan a memorial service for Tess.
(c) Walk away hand in hand.
(d) Go back to the prison to take possession of the flag.
5. Tess and Angel pass through Stonehenge, which is also known as _____.
(a) Winds of the Cross.
(b) Temple of the Cross.
(c) Temple of the Winds.
(d) Pagan Winds.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 37, what happens during the night?
2. Who tells Tess about the farm at Flintcomb Ash, and that she might find work there?
3. When Tess tells Alec of Angel's visit, how does he react?
4. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
5. Angel receives another letter, written anonymously by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
2. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
3. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
4. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
5. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
6. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
7. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
8. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
9. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
10. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)