|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Angel buy for Tess, in Chapter 32?
(a) A new house.
(c) Clothes for the wedding.
2. In Chapter 41, while Tess is looking for work, she receives a letter telling her about a possible job. Where?
(b) Flintcomb Ash.
(c) Vale of Froom.
3. In Chapter 49, who does Tess learn has died?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Mr. Crick.
4. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
(a) Pay for her brother's schooling.
(b) Repair the cottage roof.
(c) Buy more goats and chickens.
(d) Repair the outhouse roof.
5. How does Tess feel when she finds herself taken into captivity?
(a) Relieved, and glad, because she thinks she is unworthy of Angel's love.
(b) Terrified, she does not want to be punished.
(c) Rebellious, she thinks she should fight.
(d) Anxious because she is not sure what will happen next.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
2. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
3. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
4. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
5. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
2. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
3. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
4. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
5. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
6. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
7. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
8. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
9. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
10. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)