|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
(a) She is going to join Angel once he's found a farm for them to live on.
(b) Alec contacted her, and she is going to work for his mother.
(c) Angel found out about Alec, but forgave her for her past.
(d) Angel found out about Alec, but not from her.
2. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
(a) A gift.
(b) Twenty five pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(c) A letter of apology.
(d) Fifty pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
3. How does Marian react to the marriage?
(a) Quits her job and leaves the farm.
(b) She tries to drown herself.
(c) She gets drunk.
(d) She refuses to speak to Tess.
4. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
5. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
(a) She asks him to bury her body at sea.
(b) She asks him to marry Liza Lu.
(c) She asks him to bury her body at Stonehenge.
(d) She asks him to marry Izz.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way back to Flintcomb Ash after her journey, what does Tess overhear from a nearby church?
2. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
3. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
4. In Chapter 36, who says "I think of people more kindly when I am away from them."
5. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
2. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
3. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
4. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
5. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
6. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
7. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
8. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
9. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
10. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)