|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
(a) In the church looking at the tombs of her ancestors.
(b) In the field behind the burial grounds.
(c) Looking at the carriage, to see if she can discover why it is an ill omen.
(d) In the church praying.
2. When Tess catches up with Angel and tells him she has killed Alec, the pair decide to _______.
(a) Hide in the woods until the search for Tess is called off.
(b) Go to Tantridge so Tess can turn herself in.
(c) Run away to Brazil.
(d) Return to Sandbourne.
3. In the last scene of the book, what do Angel and Liza Lu do?
(a) Go back to the prison to take possession of the flag.
(b) Plan a memorial service for Tess.
(c) Walk away in different directions.
(d) Walk away hand in hand.
4. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
(a) New Year's Eve.
(b) Christmas Eve.
(c) The next September.
(d) Angel's birthday.
5. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
(a) That he seduced Rhetty before Tess came to the dairy.
(b) That he is color blind.
(c) That he had an affair with a woman in London.
(d) That he knows about her relationship with Alec.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
2. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
3. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
4. With what quote does Hardy end the tale?
5. In the morning, after the scene in the graveyard, Tess and Angel travel to _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
2. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
3. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
4. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
5. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
6. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
7. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
8. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
9. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
10. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)