|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
(a) It is a commemoration to someone who sold his soul to the devil.
(b) It is a symbol of chastity.
(c) It is a symbol of Christianity.
(d) It is a pagan symbol.
2. After Angel returns from Brazil, he leaves his parents' home and sets out to look for Tess. Where does he go first to look for her?
(a) Flintcomb Ash.
3. Who tells Tess about the farm at Flintcomb Ash, and that she might find work there?
(a) Mrs. Crick.
4. While Tess is working in the fields at Flintcomb Ash, Alec appears and asks Tess to ____.
(a) Forgive him and forget what happened between them.
(c) Go to Africa with him as missionaries.
(d) Divorce Angel.
5. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
(b) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(c) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
(d) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
2. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
3. In Chapter 49, who does Tess learn has died?
4. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
5. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
2. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
3. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
4. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
5. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
6. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
7. When Alec sees Tess while he is preaching, what does he ask her to do?
8. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
9. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
10. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)