|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
(b) Angel's father.
(c) Liza Lu.
2. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
(a) Twenty five pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(b) A gift.
(c) A letter of apology.
(d) Fifty pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
3. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
(a) That her father is dying.
(b) That her mother is dying.
(c) That her father has been imprisoned for drunkenness.
(d) That her mother is dead.
4. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
(a) Tells him she has rejected religion.
(b) Tells him she will tell her father that he is bothering her.
(c) Slaps him on the face with her leather glove.
(d) Slaps him in the face with a horse whip.
5. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Five days.
(d) One night.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
2. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
3. On the first night of their marriage, Tess and Angel _____.
4. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
5. Who discovers the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
2. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
3. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
4. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
5. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
6. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
7. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
8. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
9. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
10. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)