|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
(a) He says she is not the person he thought he was marrying.
(b) Tells her he will forgive her but only if she obeys him.
(c) Says the past doesn't really matter.
(d) Forgives her, since her seduction by Alec was not her fault.
2. Angel wakes one morning to find that he and Tess are surrounded by ____ men.
(a) Twenty three.
3. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) New Year's Eve.
(c) The next September.
(d) Angel's birthday.
4. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
(a) The man is an old enemy of Angel's father.
(b) The man is drunk and knocks Tess down.
(c) The man recognizes Tess and questions her virtue.
(d) The man makes a pass at Tess.
5. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
(a) The legend of the cross.
(b) The D'Urberville legend of the masked man.
(c) That he saw vultures flying overhead - an omen of death.
(d) The D'Uberville legend of the carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
2. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
3. After Angel returns from Brazil, he leaves his parents' home and sets out to look for Tess. Where does he go first to look for her?
4. What do Angel's parents read to him?
5. How does Tess kill Alec?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
2. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
3. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
4. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
5. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
6. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
7. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
8. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
9. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
10. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)