|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tess's punishment for the murder of Alec?
(a) Death by firing squad.
(b) Death by poison.
(c) Death by hanging.
(d) She isn't punished, she escapes.
2. What does Tess find out from Marian?
(a) That Angel asked Liza Lu to go away with him.
(b) That Angel asked Car Darch to go away with him.
(c) That Angel asked Izz to go away with him.
(d) That Angel asked Rhetty to go away with him.
3. With what quote does Hardy end the tale?
(a) "[T]he King of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(b) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville lords and ladies slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(c) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(d) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slumbered on in their tombs unknowing."
4. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
(a) Sapphire earrings.
(b) A horse and coach.
(c) Gold goblets.
(d) Diamond jewelry.
5. Tess and Angel pass through Stonehenge, which is also known as _____.
(a) Winds of the Cross.
(b) Pagan Winds.
(c) Temple of the Winds.
(d) Temple of the Cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
2. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
3. How does Marian react to the marriage?
4. Angel decides to go to _______.
5. What do Angel and Liza Lu see from the hill behind the prison that tells them Tess is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
2. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
3. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
4. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
5. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
6. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
7. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
8. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
9. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
10. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)