|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Angel's parents read to him?
(a) A biblical passage about forgiveness.
(b) A biblical passage about virtue.
(c) A biblical passage about the imporance of marriage.
(d) A biblical passage about pre-marital sex.
2. How does Marian react to the marriage?
(a) She gets drunk.
(b) Quits her job and leaves the farm.
(c) She refuses to speak to Tess.
(d) She tries to drown herself.
3. How does Tess feel when she finds herself taken into captivity?
(a) Anxious because she is not sure what will happen next.
(b) Terrified, she does not want to be punished.
(c) Rebellious, she thinks she should fight.
(d) Relieved, and glad, because she thinks she is unworthy of Angel's love.
4. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
(b) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(c) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(d) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
5. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) Under a bridge.
(b) A vacant church.
(c) A vacant manor.
(d) A vacant cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alec offers Tess and her family lodgings at ____.
2. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
3. In Chapter 49, who does Tess learn has died?
4. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
5. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
2. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
3. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
4. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
5. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
6. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
7. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
8. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
9. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
10. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)