|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
(a) A stone chapel.
(b) A Cross.
(c) A tombstone.
(d) A crucifix.
2. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
(a) No one, Alec has not changed.
(b) The parson from Marlott.
(c) Mercy Chant.
(d) Her own father.
3. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(b) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
(c) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
(d) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
4. Tess sends a letter to ____ asking for advice about whether she should tell Angel the truth.
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her father.
(c) The parson.
(d) Her mother.
5. When Tess tells Alec of Angel's visit, how does he react?
(a) He feels sorry for her.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He tells her it's for the best that Angel is out of her life.
(d) He mocks her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 52, Angel returns to ____.
2. In Chapter 41, while Tess is looking for work, she receives a letter telling her about a possible job. Where?
3. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
4. As the family is moving, they encounter ____ and ____.
5. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
2. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
3. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
4. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
5. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
6. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
7. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
8. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
9. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
10. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)