|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tess see working the fields for her parents in Chapter 49?
(b) The parson.
2. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
3. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
(b) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
(c) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
(d) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
4. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
(a) Angel found out about Alec, but not from her.
(b) She is going to join Angel once he's found a farm for them to live on.
(c) Alec contacted her, and she is going to work for his mother.
(d) Angel found out about Alec, but forgave her for her past.
5. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
(a) That she should forget about marriage and concentrate on earning a living.
(b) That she should return to her parents' home.
(c) That she should tell Angel the whole truth.
(d) That she should not tell Angel the whole truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel's parents give him a letter from Tess. In the letter she ____.
2. In Chapter 49, who does Tess learn has died?
3. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
4. What does Tess find out from Marian?
5. On the first night of their marriage, Tess and Angel _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
2. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
3. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
4. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
5. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
6. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
7. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
8. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
9. When Alec sees Tess while he is preaching, what does he ask her to do?
10. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)