|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Angel expect Tess to do when she sees him?
(a) Welcome him back with open arms.
(b) Tell him it is too late.
(c) Ask him for a second chance.
(d) Beg forgiveness.
2. In Chapter 36, who says "I think of people more kindly when I am away from them."
(a) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
3. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
(a) Work in the turnip fields.
(b) Work in the wheat fields.
(c) Work in the barn.
(d) Work in the kitchen.
4. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
(a) She asks him to bury her body at sea.
(b) She asks him to bury her body at Stonehenge.
(c) She asks him to marry Liza Lu.
(d) She asks him to marry Izz.
5. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
2. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
3. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
4. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
5. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
2. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
3. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
4. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
5. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
6. In Chapter 40, how is Mercy Chant described?
7. In Chapter 33, Tess assumes Angel knows about her past and forgives her. Why?
8. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
9. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
10. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)