|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
(a) To Angel's parents' house to ask for news of him.
(b) To her parents' house to make sure they are all well.
(c) To see her parents and tell them she and Angel are separated.
(d) To Angel's parents' house to ask for money.
2. In Marlott, Angel discovers what?
(a) The burial plot of Tess's father.
(b) The burial plot of Tess's mother.
(c) The burial plot of Tess's baby.
(d) The burial plot of Tess's sister.
3. Angel finally learns that Tess is where?
(c) With his parents.
(d) Brazil, looking for him.
4. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
(a) That she is his slave and always will be.
(b) That he is going to Africa to forget her.
(c) That he thinks she is being foolish.
(d) That he is her master, and always will be.
5. Who is the owner of the farm at Flintcomb Ash where Tess finds work?
(a) Farmer Grodie.
(b) Farmer Groby.
(c) Farmer Flint.
(d) Farmer Grimsby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
2. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
3. In the morning, after the scene in the graveyard, Tess and Angel travel to _____.
4. In Chapter 49, who does Tess learn has died?
5. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
2. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
3. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
4. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
5. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
6. Why does Alec ask Tess to marry him in Chapter 46?
7. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
8. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
9. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
10. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)