|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
2. In Chapter 37, what happens during the night?
(a) Angel wakes Tess, wraps her in a shroud, and puts her in a coffin.
(b) Tess wakes Angel and begs once more for forgiveness.
(c) Angel wakes Tess and tells her he forgives her.
(d) Tess leaves the manor and Angel, and starts the journey to her parents' house.
3. Tess sends a letter to ____ asking for advice about whether she should tell Angel the truth.
(a) The parson.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
(a) Her own father.
(b) The parson from Marlott.
(c) No one, Alec has not changed.
(d) Mercy Chant.
5. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
(a) Gold goblets.
(b) A horse and coach.
(c) Diamond jewelry.
(d) Sapphire earrings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
2. Who does Tess see working the fields for her parents in Chapter 49?
3. In Chapter 52, Angel returns to ____.
4. How does Marian react to the marriage?
5. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
2. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
3. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
4. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
5. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
6. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
7. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
8. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
9. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
10. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)