|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
(a) The next September.
(b) Angel's birthday.
(c) Christmas Eve.
(d) New Year's Eve.
2. In Chapter 37, what happens during the night?
(a) Tess leaves the manor and Angel, and starts the journey to her parents' house.
(b) Angel wakes Tess and tells her he forgives her.
(c) Tess wakes Angel and begs once more for forgiveness.
(d) Angel wakes Tess, wraps her in a shroud, and puts her in a coffin.
3. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
(a) A stone chapel.
(b) A crucifix.
(c) A Cross.
(d) A tombstone.
4. With what quote does Hardy end the tale?
(a) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(b) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville lords and ladies slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(c) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slumbered on in their tombs unknowing."
(d) "[T]he King of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slept on in their tombs unknowing."
5. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
(a) The man recognizes Tess and questions her virtue.
(b) The man makes a pass at Tess.
(c) The man is drunk and knocks Tess down.
(d) The man is an old enemy of Angel's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel and Tess agree to separate. What does Angel tell Tess when they part?
2. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
3. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
4. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
5. On the first night of their marriage, Tess and Angel _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 38 when Tess arrives at her parents' house after having left Angel, what lie does she tell? Why?
2. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
3. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
4. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
5. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
6. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
7. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
8. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
9. When Alec returns to Flintcomb Ash and asks Tess a second time to marry him, what does this scene show about his so-called religious conversion?
10. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)