|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
(a) Have the marriage annulled.
(c) Drown herself.
(d) Never speak of the matter again.
2. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
(a) A rooster crows in the afternoon.
(b) One of the cows miscarries.
(d) There is a ghost in the carriage.
3. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
(b) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
(c) Mr. Crick.
4. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
(a) Angel's father.
(b) Liza Lu.
5. Who does Tess see working the fields for her parents in Chapter 49?
(b) The parson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
2. In Chapter 49, who does Tess learn has died?
3. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
4. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
5. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 50, how does Tess's attitude towards Alec start to change, and why?
2. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
3. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
4. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
5. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
6. Several individuals are instrumental in changing Angel's attitude towards Tess during their estrangement. Describe what they do, and Angel's reaction to this.
7. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
8. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
9. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
10. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)