|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the owner of the farm at Flintcomb Ash where Tess finds work?
(a) Farmer Grimsby.
(b) Farmer Grodie.
(c) Farmer Flint.
(d) Farmer Groby.
2. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
3. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
(a) One night.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Fifteen days.
4. Angel finally learns that Tess is where?
(c) With his parents.
(d) Brazil, looking for him.
5. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
(a) A flock of dying pheasants.
(b) A flock of blackbirds.
(d) A flock of injured geese.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
2. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
3. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
4. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
5. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
2. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
3. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
4. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
5. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
6. When Alec sees Tess while he is preaching, what does he ask her to do?
7. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
8. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
9. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
10. Given the difficulties in their marriage, and the fact that Angel is not inclined to forgive Tess for her past, what do they decide to do? What happens after they make the decision?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)