|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
(b) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
(c) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
(d) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
2. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
(a) That he is her master, and always will be.
(b) That she is his slave and always will be.
(c) That he is going to Africa to forget her.
(d) That he thinks she is being foolish.
3. Alec offers Tess and her family lodgings at ____.
(a) The D'Urberville manor house.
(d) His farm.
4. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
(a) Mr. Crick.
(b) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
5. In Chapter 36, who says "I think of people more kindly when I am away from them."
(a) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alec prepares a surprise for Tess for after their marriage. What?
2. In Chapter 52, Angel returns to ____.
3. On the way back to Flintcomb Ash after her journey, what does Tess overhear from a nearby church?
4. What is Tess's punishment for the murder of Alec?
5. When Tess tells Alec of Angel's visit, how does he react?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
2. When Angel learns that Tess is at Sandbourne and has taken the name Mrs. D'Urberville, what does he think?
3. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
4. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
5. Describe the scene of Alec's murder.
6. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
7. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
8. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
9. What does Angel find when he goes to Marlott? What action does he take and why?
10. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)