|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
(b) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(c) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
(d) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
2. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
(b) Not educated enough yet.
(d) A liar.
3. How does Tess kill Alec?
(a) Stabs him in the back with a carving knife.
(b) Drowns him.
(c) Hits him on the head with a heavy carving.
(d) Stabs him in the heart with a carving knife.
4. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
(b) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
(c) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
(d) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
5. On the way back to Flintcomb Ash after her journey, what does Tess overhear from a nearby church?
(a) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(b) Alec giving a political speech.
(c) Alec preaching.
(d) Pheasants gasping as they die.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
2. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
3. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
4. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
5. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
2. In Chapter 41, Tess encounters some dying pheasants on her way to Flintcomb Ash. What is the significance of the pheasants?
3. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
4. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
5. Who turns up in Flintcomb Ash with a message for Tess? What is the message?
6. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
7. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
8. What surprise does Angel plan for their honeymoon? What does he hope to prove to Tess by this plan?
9. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
10. What happens when Tess and Angel are at Stongehenge?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)