|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
(c) Not educated enough yet.
(d) A liar.
2. Angel receives another letter, written anonymously by whom?
(a) Marian and Izz.
(b) Rhetty and Izz.
(d) Marian and Rhetty.
3. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
(b) Sad, because Tess will be of a higher class than they are.
(c) Angry because Tess made an oath that she wouldn't marry.
(d) Very happy for them.
4. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
(a) It is a commemoration to someone who sold his soul to the devil.
(b) It is a symbol of chastity.
(c) It is a symbol of Christianity.
(d) It is a pagan symbol.
5. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
(a) Drown herself.
(c) Never speak of the matter again.
(d) Have the marriage annulled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
2. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
3. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
4. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
5. While Tess is traveling through the woods on the journey she takes after learning that Angel asked someone else to go to Brazil with him, what does she find lying on the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the last scene, of Angel and Liza Lu walking away hand in hand, echo Mrs. Durbeyfield's advice to Tess when she finds out she is pregnant?
2. In Chapter 31, Tess asks her mother's advice about what to tell Angel. What does her mother tell her?
3. Describe the scene on the day of Tess's death.
4. What is the significance of the scene at Stonehenge?
5. In Chapter 44, why does Tess decide to go to Angel's parents, and what happens on her journey?
6. How is Flintcomb Ash described in Chapter 42? Why does the description also fit in with Tess's attitude at this point?
7. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
8. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
9. When Alec sees Tess while he is preaching, what does he ask her to do?
10. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)