|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
(a) Sends her sister to find them.
(b) Asks a neighbor to go get them.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Locks the other children in the cottage and goes to fetch her parents.
2. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
(a) She has to make the beds.
(b) She has to make sure the cows don't escape.
(c) She has to wake up the other dairymaids at 3 a.m.
(d) She has to take the milk to market.
3. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
(a) Secretly flattered.
(b) Happy, she likes having people envy her.
(c) Guilty, and she thinks she is not good enough for him.
(d) Worried that Angel will like one of them better than her.
4. Angel's two brothers are named Cuthert and ____?
5. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(b) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(c) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
(d) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
2. Where do Angel's parents live?
3. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
4. What objection does Angel make to the woman his parents want him to marry?
5. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
2. Describe the scene concerning the accident with the horse. What does that show about Tess's character?
3. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
4. In Chapter 10, one of the characters says "Out of the frying pan into the fire!" What is meant by this, and why does Hardy include this scene?
5. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
6. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
7. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
8. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
9. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
10. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)