|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
(a) A storm.
(b) A sick cow.
(c) A beautiful meadow.
(d) A flood.
2. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
(a) Angel asks her to make a promise.
(b) The other dairymaids urge her to do so.
(c) It wouldn't be fair to marry him if he doesn't know about her past.
(d) She wants him to leave her alone.
3. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
(a) Mr. Doll.
(b) Mr. Swallow.
(c) Mr. Dollop.
(d) Mr. Doldrum.
4. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(b) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(c) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(d) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
5. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) She is far away from Marlott.
(b) She is falling in love with Angel.
(c) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
(d) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Crick hear that the butter has a funny taste?
2. In Chapter 25 Angel decides to go back to his parents' home. Why?
3. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
4. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
5. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
2. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
3. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
4. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
5. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
6. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
7. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
8. Why does Tess feel threatened when she first sees Angel at Talbothays?
9. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
10. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)