|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
(a) He can't afford it.
(b) Angel has rejected religious principles and won't be part of the clergy, so his father thinks he doesn't really need a college education.
(c) Angel's family is wealthy so he won't need to study for a career.
(d) He thinks college is a waste of money.
2. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
3. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
(a) Mr. Crick.
(b) Mr. Clare.
(c) Mr. Talbothay.
(d) No one.
4. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(a) The pastor.
(b) The kind-hearted bishop.
(c) No one.
5. What does Tess tell Angel in Chapter 30 about her past?
(a) That she is already married.
(b) That Alec seduced her.
(c) That she is related to the D'Urbervilles.
(d) That she has had a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
2. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
3. What does Tess finally decide the relationship between herself and Angel?
4. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
5. How does Mr. Crick hear that the butter has a funny taste?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
2. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
3. Describe the scene concerning the accident with the horse. What does that show about Tess's character?
4. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
5. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
6. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
7. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
8. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
9. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
10. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)