Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
(a) Her sister is crying.
(b) She has to take the bee hives to market in another town.
(c) She's worried about the family's finances and can't sleep.
(d) She had a bad dream.
2. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
(a) Marian, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
(b) Mr. Crick.
(c) An unhappy customer.
(d) Mrs. Crick.
3. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
(a) In the barn.
(b) On a moonlit walk.
(c) In the pasture.
(d) At dinner.
4. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(b) Ignores her at a dance.
(c) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
(d) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
5. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
(b) That he wants to be a doctor.
(c) That he will take care of her.
(d) That he loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
2. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
3. Where do Angel's parents live?
4. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
5. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
2. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
3. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
4. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
5. In Chapter 34, Tess finally feels safe in telling Angel the truth. What has made her finally feel sure he will forgive her?
6. What action do Marian and Izz take in Chapter 51 to protect the relationship between Tess and Alec, and why?
7. Why does Tess feel threatened when she first sees Angel at Talbothays?
8. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
9. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
10. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)