|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
(b) She is attracted to him.
(c) Tess distrusts him.
(d) She thinks he is too snobbish.
2. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He offers her money.
(c) He pretends he doesn't know what she is talking about.
(d) He offers to marry her.
3. How old is Tess when she goes to Talbothays?
4. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Asks Tess to a dance.
(b) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
(c) Kisses Tess.
(d) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
5. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
(a) An unhappy customer.
(b) Mrs. Crick.
(c) Mr. Crick.
(d) Marian, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25 Angel decides to go back to his parents' home. Why?
2. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
3. What objection does Angel make to the woman his parents want him to marry?
4. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
5. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
2. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
3. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
4. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
5. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
6. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
7. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
8. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
9. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
10. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)