|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
(a) Regretful, she thinks she pressured Tess.
(b) Sad, she will miss Tess.
(c) Worried about Alec's intentions.
(d) Happy, the family will have more money.
2. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Kisses Tess.
(b) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
(c) Asks Tess to a dance.
(d) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
3. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
(a) The D'Uberville's horsemaster.
(b) The Queen of Spades.
4. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
(a) A storm.
(b) A beautiful meadow.
(c) A flood.
(d) A sick cow.
5. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
(b) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
(c) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
(d) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
2. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
3. In Chapter 25 Angel decides to go back to his parents' home. Why?
4. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
5. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
2. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
3. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
4. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
5. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
6. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
7. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
8. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
9. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
10. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)