|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
(a) She is afraid he might recognize her.
(b) She is happy to see someone familiar-looking.
(c) She doesn't like him at all.
(d) She thinks he is funny-looking.
2. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
(a) Tell him they aren't good enough for him.
(b) Avoid him so he will spend time with the others.
(c) Ask him to make a choice.
(d) Ask him how he feels about them.
3. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) Her mother is angry with her.
(b) She hasn't heard from Alec.
(c) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(d) She can't find another job.
4. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(b) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(c) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(d) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
5. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
(a) Sends her sister to find them.
(b) Locks the other children in the cottage and goes to fetch her parents.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Asks a neighbor to go get them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
2. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
3. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
4. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
5. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
2. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
3. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
4. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
5. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
6. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
7. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
8. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
9. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
10. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)