|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
(a) Nervous but happy.
(b) Reluctant and uneasy.
2. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
(a) Between two and three years.
(b) Almost four years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Eighteen months.
3. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
(b) To a dance.
(c) To visit a sick friend.
(d) To the pub.
4. What does Tess name her baby?
5. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(b) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(c) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(d) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
2. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
3. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
4. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
5. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
2. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
3. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
4. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
5. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
6. What story does Tess hear at the farm that makes her resolve (again) not to marry Angel?
7. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
8. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
9. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
10. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)