|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
(a) The D'Uberville's horsemaster.
(c) The Queen of Spades.
2. What objection does Angel make to the woman his parents want him to marry?
(a) She is afraid of cows.
(b) She is not religious enough.
(c) She is too delicate and refined.
(d) She is not as virtuous as Tess.
3. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
4. What do Angel and his father do at the end of their talk?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Have an argument.
(c) Pray for Angel's brothers.
(d) Pray for Alec.
5. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
(b) Reluctant and uneasy.
(c) Nervous but happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
2. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
3. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
4. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
5. What does Tess finally decide the relationship between herself and Angel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
2. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
3. What story does Tess hear at the farm that makes her resolve (again) not to marry Angel?
4. Why does Tess feel threatened when she first sees Angel at Talbothays?
5. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
6. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
7. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
8. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
9. In Chapter 10, one of the characters says "Out of the frying pan into the fire!" What is meant by this, and why does Hardy include this scene?
10. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)