|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
(a) Worried that Angel will like one of them better than her.
(b) Happy, she likes having people envy her.
(c) Secretly flattered.
(d) Guilty, and she thinks she is not good enough for him.
2. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Dairyman Crick.
(b) Mrs. Crick.
(d) Tess's mother.
3. While the dairy maids are out in the pasture searching for noxious weeds, Tess feels faint. What does Mr. Crick tell her?
(a) To have a drink of water.
(b) To go back to the farm and lie down until she feels better.
(c) To carry on walking, and it will pass.
(d) To sit down and rest for awhile.
4. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
(b) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
(c) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
(d) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
5. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
(a) Asks Tess to run away with him.
(b) Tells Mr. Crick he is leaving his job.
(c) Asks Tess to marry him.
(d) Pursues one of the other dairymaids.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
2. What kind of work does Tess do at Talbothays?
3. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
4. What do Angel and his father do at the end of their talk?
5. Where do Angel's parents live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
2. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
3. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
4. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
5. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
6. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
7. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
8. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
9. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
10. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)