Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(b) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(c) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(d) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
3. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
(b) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(c) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(d) Tess will like it there.
4. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(b) At a dance on the green.
(c) At church.
(d) Walking home from school.
5. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a parson.
(c) He is independently wealthy.
(d) He is a bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
2. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
3. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
4. Tess decides to go to Talbothays when she hears about a possible job there. Where is Talbothays located?
5. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angel react to Tess's confession about her past?
2. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
3. Describe the scene in which Angel is sleepwalking. What significance does this scene have?
4. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
5. When Tess tells Angel that she has killed Alec, what justification does she give?
6. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
7. In Chapter 39 what does Angel tell his parents about why Tess is not with him?
8. At Flintcomb Ash, Tess encounters a number of people from her past. Who?
9. What new disaster befalls the Durbeyfields in Chapter 49?
10. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)