|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Crick think made the butter taste unpleasant?
(a) The butter churn is not working properly.
(b) The cows have been eating garlic weeds.
(c) The milk is too warm, and has started to turn sour.
(d) The cows are nervous and are giving bad milk.
2. What does Tess name her baby?
3. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
(a) Like any other servant.
(b) With friendship.
(c) She is made welcome.
(d) Like a long-lost relative.
4. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
(b) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(c) He thinks she is pretty.
(d) He thinks he should find his brother.
5. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) She is attracted to him.
(b) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
(c) She thinks he is too snobbish.
(d) Tess distrusts him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
2. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
3. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
4. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
5. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
2. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
3. In Chapter 10, one of the characters says "Out of the frying pan into the fire!" What is meant by this, and why does Hardy include this scene?
4. Describe the scene concerning the accident with the horse. What does that show about Tess's character?
5. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
6. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
7. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
8. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
9. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
10. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)