|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
(a) She thinks she shouldn't have taken the horse out in the dark.
(b) She thinks if she hadn't fallen asleep, she could have prevented the accident.
(c) Her father tells her it is her fault.
(d) She caused the accident that resulted in the horse being killed.
2. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(b) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(c) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(d) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
3. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
4. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(b) She takes the train.
(c) Her brother.
(d) A servant.
5. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
(a) Helen of Troy and Agamemnon.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Troilus and Cressida.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
2. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
3. What do Angel and his father do at the end of their talk?
4. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
5. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, one of the characters says "Out of the frying pan into the fire!" What is meant by this, and why does Hardy include this scene?
2. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
3. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
4. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
5. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
6. What story does Tess hear at the farm that makes her resolve (again) not to marry Angel?
7. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
8. Describe the scene concerning the accident with the horse. What does that show about Tess's character?
9. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
10. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)