|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
(a) He pretends he doesn't know what she is talking about.
(b) He offers to marry her.
(c) He offers her money.
(d) He ignores her.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(b) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(c) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
(d) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
3. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) She is falling in love with Angel.
(b) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
(c) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
(d) She is far away from Marlott.
4. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
(b) She misses her family.
(c) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
(d) Alec forces her to kiss him.
5. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
(a) Troilus and Cressida.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Helen of Troy and Agamemnon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
2. Angel's two brothers are named Cuthert and ____?
3. What does Mr. Crick think made the butter taste unpleasant?
4. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
5. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
2. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
3. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
4. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
5. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
6. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
7. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
8. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
9. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
10. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)