|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Tess decide to do after she's been at the D'Urberville mansion for a few weeks?
(a) Marry Alec.
(b) Tell Mrs. D'Urberville what Alec has done to her.
(c) Confront the Queen of Spades.
(d) Return home.
2. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
(a) At dinner.
(b) On a moonlit walk.
(c) In the barn.
(d) In the pasture.
3. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) The family fortunes have improved.
(c) Her mother is pregnant.
(d) She can't remember what Alec looked like.
4. While the dairy maids are out in the pasture searching for noxious weeds, Tess feels faint. What does Mr. Crick tell her?
(a) To go back to the farm and lie down until she feels better.
(b) To carry on walking, and it will pass.
(c) To sit down and rest for awhile.
(d) To have a drink of water.
5. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
(b) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(c) She was coerced into it.
(d) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
2. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
3. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
4. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
5. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene concerning the accident with the horse. What does that show about Tess's character?
2. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
3. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
4. What story does Tess hear at the farm that makes her resolve (again) not to marry Angel?
5. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
6. Why does Tess feel threatened when she first sees Angel at Talbothays?
7. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
8. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
9. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
10. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)