|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
(b) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
(c) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
(d) She thinks he won't believe her.
2. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
(a) Mr. Swallow.
(b) Mr. Doldrum.
(c) Mr. Dollop.
(d) Mr. Doll.
3. Tess decides to go to Talbothays when she hears about a possible job there. Where is Talbothays located?
(a) About 5 miles from her father's house.
(b) In Ireland.
(c) In the Vale of Froom.
(d) On the outskirts of Marlott.
4. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
(b) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
(c) Asks Tess to a dance.
(d) Kisses Tess.
5. Where do Angel's parents live?
(d) Vale of Froom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Tess and shows her around Tantridge?
2. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
3. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
5. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
2. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
3. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
4. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
5. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
6. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
7. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
8. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
9. What story does Tess hear at the farm that makes her resolve (again) not to marry Angel?
10. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)