|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(b) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
(c) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(d) She was coerced into it.
2. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
(a) She doesn't believe Tess.
(b) She tells Tess that it is her own fault.
(c) She is angry at Alec for hurting Tess.
(d) She is angry that Tess didn't force Alec to marry her.
3. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Tess's mother.
(b) Mrs. Crick.
(d) Dairyman Crick.
4. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
(a) Sir James.
(b) Mr. Durbeyfield.
(c) Sir John.
(d) Mr. D.
5. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
(a) He is a parson.
(b) He is independently wealthy.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He is a bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
2. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
3. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
4. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
5. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
2. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
3. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
4. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
5. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
6. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
7. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
8. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
9. In Chapter 10, one of the characters says "Out of the frying pan into the fire!" What is meant by this, and why does Hardy include this scene?
10. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)