|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess takes a job as a ____ to support her baby.
(c) Dairy maid.
2. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
(a) It is close to home.
(b) She is still feeling guilty about the horse's death and wants to work in the barns.
(c) She wants a fresh start where no one knows about her past.
(d) She is afraid her mother will be angry if she doesn't contribute to the family's finances.
3. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
4. How does Mr. Crick hear that the butter has a funny taste?
(a) He gets a letter from a customer.
(b) He reads it in the newspaper.
(c) Rhetty tells him.
(d) Someone stops him at the market to tell him.
5. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Tess's mother.
(b) Mrs. Crick.
(c) Dairyman Crick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
2. Talbothays is located very close to ______.
3. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
4. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
5. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
2. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
3. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
4. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
5. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
6. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
7. Why does Tess feel threatened when she first sees Angel at Talbothays?
8. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
9. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
10. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)