|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
(a) In the barn.
(b) In the pasture.
(c) On a moonlit walk.
(d) At dinner.
2. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
(a) Carries the milk pails for her.
(b) Pays someone to do some of her chores.
(c) Plays the harp so she will feel happier about working.
(d) Makes sure the cows she has to milk are the most good-natured ones.
3. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(b) Dairyman Crick.
(c) Tess's mother.
(d) Mrs. Crick.
4. How does Angel react when Tess tells him about her past?
(a) He is confused because he thinks she should be proud of her family connections.
(b) He thinks that being a D'Urberville will make his parents accept her all the more readily.
(c) He suggests she make contact with the D'Urbervilles.
(d) He is angry.
5. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
(a) He has to go catch up with his brother.
(b) He thinks she is busy talking to someone else.
(c) He is too shy.
(d) He wants to see if Tess is watching him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
2. How old is Tess when she goes to Talbothays?
3. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
4. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
5. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
2. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
3. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
4. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
5. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
6. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
7. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
8. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
9. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
10. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)