|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets Tess and shows her around Tantridge?
(a) The milkmaids.
(b) Her elderly aunt.
(c) Alec D'Uberville.
2. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
(a) She is afraid he might recognize her.
(b) She is happy to see someone familiar-looking.
(c) She thinks he is funny-looking.
(d) She doesn't like him at all.
3. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(b) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(c) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(d) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
4. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
(a) She wants him to leave her alone.
(b) The other dairymaids urge her to do so.
(c) Angel asks her to make a promise.
(d) It wouldn't be fair to marry him if he doesn't know about her past.
5. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
(a) To visit a sick friend.
(c) To a dance.
(d) To the pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
2. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
3. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
4. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
5. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
2. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
3. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
4. What arguments does Angel give his parents to convince them that marrying Tess is a good idea?
5. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
6. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
7. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
8. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
9. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
10. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)