|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
(b) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
(c) She is falling in love with Angel.
(d) She is far away from Marlott.
2. What do Angel and his father do at the end of their talk?
(a) Pray for Alec.
(b) Go to church.
(c) Have an argument.
(d) Pray for Angel's brothers.
3. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(b) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(c) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(d) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
4. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
(a) She is angry at Alec for hurting Tess.
(b) She is angry that Tess didn't force Alec to marry her.
(c) She doesn't believe Tess.
(d) She tells Tess that it is her own fault.
5. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
(a) That he wants Angel to join the clergy.
(b) That he tried to convert Alec, but failed.
(c) That Angel's brothers are jealous of him.
(d) That he tried to convert Alec, and succeeded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Crick think made the butter taste unpleasant?
2. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
4. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
5. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
2. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
3. Describe the scene concerning the accident with the horse. What does that show about Tess's character?
4. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
5. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
6. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
7. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
8. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
9. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
10. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)