|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
(a) At dinner.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In the pasture.
(d) On a moonlit walk.
2. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
(a) She is angry that Tess didn't force Alec to marry her.
(b) She doesn't believe Tess.
(c) She tells Tess that it is her own fault.
(d) She is angry at Alec for hurting Tess.
3. What does Mr. Crick think made the butter taste unpleasant?
(a) The cows are nervous and are giving bad milk.
(b) The butter churn is not working properly.
(c) The cows have been eating garlic weeds.
(d) The milk is too warm, and has started to turn sour.
4. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
(a) The child has not been baptized.
(b) She thinks she is a bad mother.
(c) She can't afford a doctor.
(d) Her father thinks it's her fault.
5. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
(a) A beautiful meadow.
(b) A sick cow.
(c) A storm.
(d) A flood.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
2. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
3. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
4. In Chapter 25 Angel decides to go back to his parents' home. Why?
5. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
2. Why does Tess feel threatened when she first sees Angel at Talbothays?
3. How do Tess and Angel manage to spend time together at Talbothays?
4. What story does Tess hear at the farm that makes her resolve (again) not to marry Angel?
5. How is Mr. Durbeyfield portrayed in in the first chapter?
6. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
7. Angel receives different treatment from the Cricks than the other farm help does. How? Why does Hardy mention this in some detail?
8. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
9. Why is Tess upset when her baby becomes ill and dies, and what does this show about her attitude towards religion?
10. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)