|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
(a) Sir James.
(b) Mr. D.
(c) Sir John.
(d) Mr. Durbeyfield.
2. Tess decides to go to Talbothays when she hears about a possible job there. Where is Talbothays located?
(a) In the Vale of Froom.
(b) In Ireland.
(c) About 5 miles from her father's house.
(d) On the outskirts of Marlott.
3. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She was coerced into it.
(b) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(c) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
(d) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
4. Who meets Tess and shows her around Tantridge?
(a) Her elderly aunt.
(b) The milkmaids.
(c) Alec D'Uberville.
5. When her parents do not return from the pub, who does Tess send after them to bring them home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
2. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
3. Who eventually baptizes the child?
4. Where do Angel's parents live?
5. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
2. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
3. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
4. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
5. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
6. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
7. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
8. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
9. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
10. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)