|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Tess when she goes to Talbothays?
2. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
(a) She has to take the milk to market.
(b) She has to wake up the other dairymaids at 3 a.m.
(c) She has to make sure the cows don't escape.
(d) She has to make the beds.
3. At dinnertime, Angel is seated at a different table than the other dairy workers because ______.
(a) He likes to read while he eats dinner.
(b) He is of a higher class.
(c) He has a contagious disease.
(d) The dairyman's wife is afraid he will corrupt the dairymaids.
4. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(b) At a dance on the green.
(c) Walking home from school.
(d) At church.
5. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That he will take care of her.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
(d) That he wants to be a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
2. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
3. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
4. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
5. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
2. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
3. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
4. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
5. What is the local superstition about butter with a funny taste?
6. How does Tess's mother react when she returns home after her sexual encounter with Alec? What does Mrs. Durbeyfield's reaction tell us about her as a mother?
7. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
8. In Chapter 19, Hardy introduces another of the perceived road blocks to the relationship between Tess and Angel, from her point of view. What?
9. What happens on the drive to Mrs. D'Uberville's home?
10. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)