|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) The dark-haired milkmaid.
(b) Angel's brother.
(c) The police officer.
(d) The Queen of Spades.
2. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
(a) Sir James.
(b) Mr. Durbeyfield.
(c) Mr. D.
(d) Sir John.
3. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
(a) Between two and three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Almost four years.
4. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
(a) He seduces her.
(b) He holds her hand.
(c) He wakes her up so they can go home.
(d) He watches her sleep.
5. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
(b) She is falling in love with Angel.
(c) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
(d) She is far away from Marlott.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
2. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
3. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
4. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
5. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tess feel threatened when she first sees Angel at Talbothays?
2. What kind of personality is Tess's mother?
3. How does Tess learn that Angel is in love with her, and what is her reaction?
4. Describe the scene concerning the accident with the horse. What does that show about Tess's character?
5. Why does Tess tell Angel she will explain everything to him the next Sunday?
6. In Chapter 15, how does Hardy show that Tess is still suffering from depression and hopelessness?
7. What is Tess's reaction when Angel finally confesses his love for her?
8. In Chapter 5 Tess is pressured to approach the D'Urbervilles for money. What does this scene, and her response, show about her?
9. How does Tess deal with her situation in Chapter 13, when she is living at her parents' home, and is pregnant and shunned by the community?
10. In Chapter 11, what happens between Alec and Tess?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)