|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the dairy maids are out in the pasture searching for noxious weeds, Tess feels faint. What does Mr. Crick tell her?
(a) To sit down and rest for awhile.
(b) To have a drink of water.
(c) To carry on walking, and it will pass.
(d) To go back to the farm and lie down until she feels better.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(b) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(c) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(d) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
3. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(b) Walking home from school.
(c) At church.
(d) At a dance on the green.
4. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
(b) Tess will like it there.
(c) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(d) She will save her money and help the family financially.
5. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
(a) Sad, she will miss Tess.
(b) Regretful, she thinks she pressured Tess.
(c) Worried about Alec's intentions.
(d) Happy, the family will have more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. When her parents do not return from the pub, who does Tess send after them to bring them home?
2. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
3. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
4. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
5. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances under which Angel and Tess see each other for the first time.
2. Angel uses the phrase "Three Leahs to get to one Rachel." What does he mean by this?
3. Tess tries once more to get the courage to tell Angel the truth. In Chapter 30, what happens when she tries?
4. What prompts Tess to leave the dance early, and what does this scene tell readers about her character?
5. How is Mrs. D'Urberville described?
6. In Chapter 6, how is Alec portrayed?
7. What story does Tess hear at the farm that makes her resolve (again) not to marry Angel?
8. When Angel goes back to visit his family, things seem to have changed. Describe how he and his family see each other now.
9. Why does Tess go to work at Talbothays, and what does she hope will happen once she is away from home?
10. Describe what happens when Angel arrives back at Talbothays after visiting his parents.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)