|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tess's punishment for the murder of Alec?
(a) She isn't punished, she escapes.
(b) Death by poison.
(c) Death by hanging.
(d) Death by firing squad.
2. Alec offers Tess and her family lodgings at ____.
(a) His farm.
(c) The D'Urberville manor house.
3. Angel accompanies Tess part of the way home to Marlott. When they are parting at the crossroads near Marlott, what does Angel do?
(a) Promises he will come back for Tess once he's got his farm.
(b) Gives her money and tells her to contact him if she needs more.
(c) Gives her a letter.
(d) Gives Tess money and tells her to contact his parents if she needs more.
4. What do Angel's parents read to him?
(a) A biblical passage about forgiveness.
(b) A biblical passage about virtue.
(c) A biblical passage about pre-marital sex.
(d) A biblical passage about the imporance of marriage.
5. In the last scene of the book, what do Angel and Liza Lu do?
(a) Go back to the prison to take possession of the flag.
(b) Plan a memorial service for Tess.
(c) Walk away hand in hand.
(d) Walk away in different directions.
6. Tess and Angel pass through Stonehenge, which is also known as _____.
(a) Winds of the Cross.
(b) Temple of the Winds.
(c) Pagan Winds.
(d) Temple of the Cross.
7. Angel receives another letter, written anonymously by whom?
(a) Marian and Izz.
(b) Marian and Rhetty.
(c) Rhetty and Izz.
8. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
(a) He wants to right the wrong he did.
(b) He wants to convert her to Christianity.
(c) He wants to protect her from Angel.
(d) He thinks she loves him.
9. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
(a) There is a ghost in the carriage.
(b) One of the cows miscarries.
(c) A rooster crows in the afternoon.
10. After someone close to her dies, Tess decides to move the family to ____.
11. Who does Tess see working the fields for her parents in Chapter 49?
(a) The parson.
12. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
13. While Tess is working in the fields at Flintcomb Ash, Alec appears and asks Tess to ____.
(b) Go to Africa with him as missionaries.
(c) Divorce Angel.
(d) Forgive him and forget what happened between them.
14. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
(b) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
(c) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
(d) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
15. What does Angel buy for Tess, in Chapter 32?
(b) Clothes for the wedding.
(d) A new house.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Alec appears again, in Chapter 47, he blames Tess for ____.
2. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
3. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
4. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
5. Who is the owner of the farm at Flintcomb Ash where Tess finds work?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)