|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what quote does Hardy end the tale?
(a) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(b) "[T]he King of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(c) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville lords and ladies slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(d) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slumbered on in their tombs unknowing."
2. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
(a) Says the past doesn't really matter.
(b) Tells her he will forgive her but only if she obeys him.
(c) He says she is not the person he thought he was marrying.
(d) Forgives her, since her seduction by Alec was not her fault.
3. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
(b) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(c) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(d) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
4. In Chapter 52, Angel returns to ____.
5. What does Angel expect Tess to do when she sees him?
(a) Beg forgiveness.
(b) Ask him for a second chance.
(c) Welcome him back with open arms.
(d) Tell him it is too late.
6. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
(a) A horse and coach.
(b) Gold goblets.
(c) Sapphire earrings.
(d) Diamond jewelry.
7. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
(b) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(c) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
8. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
(a) A flock of blackbirds.
(b) A flock of injured geese.
(c) A flock of dying pheasants.
9. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
(a) Buy more goats and chickens.
(b) Repair the cottage roof.
(c) Pay for her brother's schooling.
(d) Repair the outhouse roof.
10. On the way back to Flintcomb Ash after her journey, what does Tess overhear from a nearby church?
(a) Pheasants gasping as they die.
(b) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(c) Alec preaching.
(d) Alec giving a political speech.
11. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
(a) His brother Cuthbert is marrying the Queen of Spades.
(b) His brother Cuthbert is marrying Mercy Chant.
(c) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(d) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
12. In Chapter 46, who is Tess referring to when she says "He won't hurt me, he's not in love with me."
(d) Farmer Groby.
13. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
(a) It is a commemoration to someone who sold his soul to the devil.
(b) It is a pagan symbol.
(c) It is a symbol of chastity.
(d) It is a symbol of Christianity.
14. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
(a) Work in the barn.
(b) Work in the kitchen.
(c) Work in the turnip fields.
(d) Work in the wheat fields.
15. After Angel returns from Brazil, he leaves his parents' home and sets out to look for Tess. Where does he go first to look for her?
(a) Flintcomb Ash.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel finally learns that Tess is where?
2. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
3. How does Tess feel when she finds herself taken into captivity?
4. Tess sends a letter to ____ asking for advice about whether she should tell Angel the truth.
5. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)