|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess and Angel pass through Stonehenge, which is also known as _____.
(a) Winds of the Cross.
(b) Temple of the Cross.
(c) Pagan Winds.
(d) Temple of the Winds.
2. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
(a) To her parents' house to make sure they are all well.
(b) To Angel's parents' house to ask for news of him.
(c) To see her parents and tell them she and Angel are separated.
(d) To Angel's parents' house to ask for money.
3. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
4. Alec prepares a surprise for Tess for after their marriage. What?
(a) That they will honeymoon at a property owned by the D'Urbervilles.
(b) That they will honeymoon at his parents' house.
(c) That he has bought a new house.
(d) That he has contacted the D'Urbervilles on her behalf.
5. When Tess tells Alec of Angel's visit, how does he react?
(a) He tells her it's for the best that Angel is out of her life.
(b) He mocks her.
(c) He feels sorry for her.
(d) He slaps her.
6. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
7. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
(a) In the church looking at the tombs of her ancestors.
(b) Looking at the carriage, to see if she can discover why it is an ill omen.
(c) In the church praying.
(d) In the field behind the burial grounds.
8. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
(a) It is a symbol of Christianity.
(b) It is a pagan symbol.
(c) It is a symbol of chastity.
(d) It is a commemoration to someone who sold his soul to the devil.
9. Tess sends a letter to ____ asking for advice about whether she should tell Angel the truth.
(a) The parson.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her father.
10. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) Under a bridge.
(b) A vacant cabin.
(c) A vacant manor.
(d) A vacant church.
11. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
12. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
(b) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
(c) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
13. What is Tess's punishment for the murder of Alec?
(a) Death by hanging.
(b) Death by poison.
(c) Death by firing squad.
(d) She isn't punished, she escapes.
14. When Alec appears again, in Chapter 47, he blames Tess for ____.
(a) Causing him to lose his faith.
(b) Causing a rift between him and his family.
(c) Driving him into missionary work.
(d) Causing him to become lazy.
15. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
(a) Sapphire earrings.
(b) A horse and coach.
(c) Gold goblets.
(d) Diamond jewelry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 52, Angel returns to ____.
2. What do Angel and Liza Lu see from the hill behind the prison that tells them Tess is dead?
3. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
4. Angel decides to go to _______.
5. What do Angel's parents read to him?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)