|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
(a) Tells him she will tell her father that he is bothering her.
(b) Slaps him in the face with a horse whip.
(c) Tells him she has rejected religion.
(d) Slaps him on the face with her leather glove.
2. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
(a) Not to take her until she awakens.
(b) To take her before she wakes up.
(c) Not to hurt her.
(d) To pretend they haven't seen her.
3. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
(a) To see her parents and tell them she and Angel are separated.
(b) To her parents' house to make sure they are all well.
(c) To Angel's parents' house to ask for news of him.
(d) To Angel's parents' house to ask for money.
4. In Chapter 51 Tess arrives at the new lodgings to find that ___.
(a) They are more expensive than she thought.
(b) They are rat-infested.
(c) They have been rented to another family.
(d) They are not large enough for everyone.
5. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
6. Angel finally learns that Tess is where?
(a) Brazil, looking for him.
(d) With his parents.
7. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
(a) He says she is not the person he thought he was marrying.
(b) Forgives her, since her seduction by Alec was not her fault.
(c) Tells her he will forgive her but only if she obeys him.
(d) Says the past doesn't really matter.
8. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
(a) Work in the kitchen.
(b) Work in the barn.
(c) Work in the turnip fields.
(d) Work in the wheat fields.
9. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
(b) There is a ghost in the carriage.
(c) A rooster crows in the afternoon.
(d) One of the cows miscarries.
10. In Chapter 37, what happens during the night?
(a) Tess wakes Angel and begs once more for forgiveness.
(b) Angel wakes Tess and tells her he forgives her.
(c) Angel wakes Tess, wraps her in a shroud, and puts her in a coffin.
(d) Tess leaves the manor and Angel, and starts the journey to her parents' house.
11. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
(a) Mercy Chant.
12. After someone close to her dies, Tess decides to move the family to ____.
13. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
(a) He wants to convert her to Christianity.
(b) He thinks she loves him.
(c) He wants to right the wrong he did.
(d) He wants to protect her from Angel.
14. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
(a) A flock of blackbirds.
(b) A flock of dying pheasants.
(d) A flock of injured geese.
15. How does Marian react to the marriage?
(a) Quits her job and leaves the farm.
(b) She tries to drown herself.
(c) She refuses to speak to Tess.
(d) She gets drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
2. Who discovers the murder?
3. Angel wakes one morning to find that he and Tess are surrounded by ____ men.
4. What does Tess find out from Marian?
5. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)