|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
(a) Repair the cottage roof.
(b) Pay for her brother's schooling.
(c) Repair the outhouse roof.
(d) Buy more goats and chickens.
2. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
(a) That he thinks she is being foolish.
(b) That he is going to Africa to forget her.
(c) That she is his slave and always will be.
(d) That he is her master, and always will be.
3. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
(b) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
(c) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
(d) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
4. When Tess catches up with Angel and tells him she has killed Alec, the pair decide to _______.
(a) Return to Sandbourne.
(b) Go to Tantridge so Tess can turn herself in.
(c) Hide in the woods until the search for Tess is called off.
(d) Run away to Brazil.
5. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
(a) Not to hurt her.
(b) To pretend they haven't seen her.
(c) To take her before she wakes up.
(d) Not to take her until she awakens.
6. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
(b) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
(c) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
7. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
(a) She asks him to marry Liza Lu.
(b) She asks him to bury her body at Stonehenge.
(c) She asks him to marry Izz.
(d) She asks him to bury her body at sea.
8. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
(a) He wants to convert her to Christianity.
(b) He wants to right the wrong he did.
(c) He thinks she loves him.
(d) He wants to protect her from Angel.
9. On the first night of their marriage, Tess and Angel _____.
(a) Dance in the D'Urberville manor house.
(b) Have a romantic dinner.
(c) Sleep in separate rooms.
(d) Go to church.
10. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
(a) That her father is dying.
(b) That her mother is dying.
(c) That her mother is dead.
(d) That her father has been imprisoned for drunkenness.
11. When Alec appears again, in Chapter 47, he blames Tess for ____.
(a) Causing him to become lazy.
(b) Causing a rift between him and his family.
(c) Causing him to lose his faith.
(d) Driving him into missionary work.
12. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
13. What does Tess find out from Marian?
(a) That Angel asked Liza Lu to go away with him.
(b) That Angel asked Car Darch to go away with him.
(c) That Angel asked Izz to go away with him.
(d) That Angel asked Rhetty to go away with him.
14. When Tess tells Angel about her true past, how does she expect he will react?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Forgive her.
(c) Say it doesn't matter.
(d) Be angry.
15. Tess and Angel pass through Stonehenge, which is also known as _____.
(a) Temple of the Cross.
(b) Pagan Winds.
(c) Winds of the Cross.
(d) Temple of the Winds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers the murder?
2. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
3. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
4. Angel's parents give him a letter from Tess. In the letter she ____.
5. Who tells Tess about the farm at Flintcomb Ash, and that she might find work there?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)