|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Angel's parents read to him?
(a) A biblical passage about pre-marital sex.
(b) A biblical passage about virtue.
(c) A biblical passage about the imporance of marriage.
(d) A biblical passage about forgiveness.
2. Angel accompanies Tess part of the way home to Marlott. When they are parting at the crossroads near Marlott, what does Angel do?
(a) Gives her money and tells her to contact him if she needs more.
(b) Promises he will come back for Tess once he's got his farm.
(c) Gives her a letter.
(d) Gives Tess money and tells her to contact his parents if she needs more.
3. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
(b) Have the marriage annulled.
(c) Drown herself.
(d) Never speak of the matter again.
4. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
(a) Alec contacted her, and she is going to work for his mother.
(b) Angel found out about Alec, but forgave her for her past.
(c) Angel found out about Alec, but not from her.
(d) She is going to join Angel once he's found a farm for them to live on.
5. Who discovers the murder?
(a) Mr. Brooks, the workman.
(b) Mrs. Brooks, the landlady.
(c) Mrs. Brooms, the landlady.
(d) Tess's brother.
6. On the way back to Flintcomb Ash after her journey, what does Tess overhear from a nearby church?
(a) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(b) Alec giving a political speech.
(c) Pheasants gasping as they die.
(d) Alec preaching.
7. What does Tess find out from Marian?
(a) That Angel asked Liza Lu to go away with him.
(b) That Angel asked Rhetty to go away with him.
(c) That Angel asked Izz to go away with him.
(d) That Angel asked Car Darch to go away with him.
8. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
(a) That her father has been imprisoned for drunkenness.
(b) That her mother is dying.
(c) That her mother is dead.
(d) That her father is dying.
9. Tess and Angel pass through Stonehenge, which is also known as _____.
(a) Temple of the Winds.
(b) Winds of the Cross.
(c) Pagan Winds.
(d) Temple of the Cross.
10. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
(a) A letter of apology.
(b) Fifty pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(c) A gift.
(d) Twenty five pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
11. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
(a) That he is her master, and always will be.
(b) That he thinks she is being foolish.
(c) That she is his slave and always will be.
(d) That he is going to Africa to forget her.
12. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
(b) Angel's father.
(d) Liza Lu.
13. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
(b) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
(c) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
14. What is Tess's punishment for the murder of Alec?
(a) Death by poison.
(b) Death by hanging.
(c) She isn't punished, she escapes.
(d) Death by firing squad.
15. In the morning, after the scene in the graveyard, Tess and Angel travel to _____.
(c) His parents' home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Marlott, Angel discovers what?
2. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
3. In Chapter 46, who is Tess referring to when she says "He won't hurt me, he's not in love with me."
4. After Angel returns from Brazil, he leaves his parents' home and sets out to look for Tess. Where does he go first to look for her?
5. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)