|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
(a) He wants to convert her to Christianity.
(b) He thinks she loves him.
(c) He wants to protect her from Angel.
(d) He wants to right the wrong he did.
2. In Chapter 46, who is Tess referring to when she says "He won't hurt me, he's not in love with me."
(c) Farmer Groby.
3. What does Tess find out from Marian?
(a) That Angel asked Rhetty to go away with him.
(b) That Angel asked Izz to go away with him.
(c) That Angel asked Liza Lu to go away with him.
(d) That Angel asked Car Darch to go away with him.
4. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
5. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
(a) A letter of apology.
(b) Twenty five pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(c) A gift.
(d) Fifty pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
6. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
7. In the last scene of the book, what do Angel and Liza Lu do?
(a) Plan a memorial service for Tess.
(b) Walk away in different directions.
(c) Walk away hand in hand.
(d) Go back to the prison to take possession of the flag.
8. As the family is moving, they encounter ____ and ____.
(a) Izz and Marian.
(b) Alec and his father.
(c) Rhetty and Marian.
(d) Izz and Rhetty.
9. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
(a) Pay for her brother's schooling.
(b) Buy more goats and chickens.
(c) Repair the cottage roof.
(d) Repair the outhouse roof.
10. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
(b) Angry because Tess made an oath that she wouldn't marry.
(c) Sad, because Tess will be of a higher class than they are.
(d) Very happy for them.
11. When Alec appears again, in Chapter 47, he blames Tess for ____.
(a) Causing a rift between him and his family.
(b) Causing him to become lazy.
(c) Causing him to lose his faith.
(d) Driving him into missionary work.
12. How does Marian react to the marriage?
(a) Quits her job and leaves the farm.
(b) She refuses to speak to Tess.
(c) She gets drunk.
(d) She tries to drown herself.
13. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
(a) Not educated enough yet.
(d) A liar.
14. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
(a) That he knows about her relationship with Alec.
(b) That he had an affair with a woman in London.
(c) That he seduced Rhetty before Tess came to the dairy.
(d) That he is color blind.
15. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
(a) To pretend they haven't seen her.
(b) Not to hurt her.
(c) To take her before she wakes up.
(d) Not to take her until she awakens.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
2. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
3. To make herself unattractive, Tess _____.
4. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
5. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)