|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alec offers Tess and her family lodgings at ____.
(a) His farm.
(b) The D'Urberville manor house.
2. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) Under a bridge.
(b) A vacant cabin.
(c) A vacant manor.
(d) A vacant church.
3. How does Tess feel when she finds herself taken into captivity?
(a) Terrified, she does not want to be punished.
(b) Rebellious, she thinks she should fight.
(c) Anxious because she is not sure what will happen next.
(d) Relieved, and glad, because she thinks she is unworthy of Angel's love.
4. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
(a) Mercy Chant.
(b) No one, Alec has not changed.
(c) The parson from Marlott.
(d) Her own father.
5. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
(a) Never speak of the matter again.
(b) Have the marriage annulled.
(c) Drown herself.
6. In Chapter 51 Tess arrives at the new lodgings to find that ___.
(a) They are not large enough for everyone.
(b) They have been rented to another family.
(c) They are rat-infested.
(d) They are more expensive than she thought.
7. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
(b) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(c) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
(d) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
8. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
(b) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(c) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
9. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
10. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
(a) A rooster crows in the afternoon.
(c) One of the cows miscarries.
(d) There is a ghost in the carriage.
11. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
(b) Mr. Crick.
(c) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
12. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
(a) Slaps him in the face with a horse whip.
(b) Tells him she has rejected religion.
(c) Slaps him on the face with her leather glove.
(d) Tells him she will tell her father that he is bothering her.
13. How does Tess kill Alec?
(a) Stabs him in the heart with a carving knife.
(b) Drowns him.
(c) Hits him on the head with a heavy carving.
(d) Stabs him in the back with a carving knife.
14. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
(a) Twenty five pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(b) A gift.
(c) A letter of apology.
(d) Fifty pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
15. What does Angel buy for Tess, in Chapter 32?
(b) Clothes for the wedding.
(d) A new house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tess find out from Marian?
2. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
3. In Chapter 36, who says "I think of people more kindly when I am away from them."
4. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
5. Angel decides to go to _______.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)