|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
(a) Slaps him in the face with a horse whip.
(b) Slaps him on the face with her leather glove.
(c) Tells him she will tell her father that he is bothering her.
(d) Tells him she has rejected religion.
2. In Marlott, Angel discovers what?
(a) The burial plot of Tess's father.
(b) The burial plot of Tess's mother.
(c) The burial plot of Tess's sister.
(d) The burial plot of Tess's baby.
3. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
(a) Tells her he will forgive her but only if she obeys him.
(b) He says she is not the person he thought he was marrying.
(c) Says the past doesn't really matter.
(d) Forgives her, since her seduction by Alec was not her fault.
4. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
(b) Gauze curtains.
(d) The wedding certificate.
5. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
(a) That he is going to Africa to forget her.
(b) That he is her master, and always will be.
(c) That he thinks she is being foolish.
(d) That she is his slave and always will be.
6. Angel accompanies Tess part of the way home to Marlott. When they are parting at the crossroads near Marlott, what does Angel do?
(a) Gives Tess money and tells her to contact his parents if she needs more.
(b) Gives her money and tells her to contact him if she needs more.
(c) Gives her a letter.
(d) Promises he will come back for Tess once he's got his farm.
7. When Alec appears again, in Chapter 47, he blames Tess for ____.
(a) Causing a rift between him and his family.
(b) Driving him into missionary work.
(c) Causing him to lose his faith.
(d) Causing him to become lazy.
8. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
(b) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
(c) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
9. In Chapter 36, who says "I think of people more kindly when I am away from them."
(a) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
10. Alec prepares a surprise for Tess for after their marriage. What?
(a) That they will honeymoon at his parents' house.
(b) That he has bought a new house.
(c) That they will honeymoon at a property owned by the D'Urbervilles.
(d) That he has contacted the D'Urbervilles on her behalf.
11. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
12. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(b) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
(c) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(d) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
13. How does Tess kill Alec?
(a) Stabs him in the back with a carving knife.
(b) Stabs him in the heart with a carving knife.
(c) Drowns him.
(d) Hits him on the head with a heavy carving.
14. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
(a) A gift.
(b) Twenty five pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(c) A letter of apology.
(d) Fifty pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
15. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
(a) The man is drunk and knocks Tess down.
(b) The man makes a pass at Tess.
(c) The man recognizes Tess and questions her virtue.
(d) The man is an old enemy of Angel's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
2. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
3. Angel decides to go to _______.
4. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
5. Who discovers the murder?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)