|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(b) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(c) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
(d) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
2. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
(a) It is a symbol of chastity.
(b) It is a commemoration to someone who sold his soul to the devil.
(c) It is a pagan symbol.
(d) It is a symbol of Christianity.
3. What does Tess find out from Marian?
(a) That Angel asked Liza Lu to go away with him.
(b) That Angel asked Izz to go away with him.
(c) That Angel asked Car Darch to go away with him.
(d) That Angel asked Rhetty to go away with him.
4. How does Tess feel when she finds herself taken into captivity?
(a) Terrified, she does not want to be punished.
(b) Relieved, and glad, because she thinks she is unworthy of Angel's love.
(c) Anxious because she is not sure what will happen next.
(d) Rebellious, she thinks she should fight.
5. Alec offers Tess and her family lodgings at ____.
(c) His farm.
(d) The D'Urberville manor house.
6. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
(c) The wedding certificate.
(d) Gauze curtains.
7. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
(a) Slaps him on the face with her leather glove.
(b) Tells him she will tell her father that he is bothering her.
(c) Slaps him in the face with a horse whip.
(d) Tells him she has rejected religion.
8. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
(b) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(c) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(d) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
9. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
(a) Work in the wheat fields.
(b) Work in the barn.
(c) Work in the kitchen.
(d) Work in the turnip fields.
10. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
(a) Very happy for them.
(c) Angry because Tess made an oath that she wouldn't marry.
(d) Sad, because Tess will be of a higher class than they are.
11. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
(c) Not educated enough yet.
(d) A liar.
12. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
(a) That he had an affair with a woman in London.
(b) That he seduced Rhetty before Tess came to the dairy.
(c) That he knows about her relationship with Alec.
(d) That he is color blind.
13. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
(a) That she should forget about marriage and concentrate on earning a living.
(b) That she should tell Angel the whole truth.
(c) That she should not tell Angel the whole truth.
(d) That she should return to her parents' home.
14. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
(a) That he saw vultures flying overhead - an omen of death.
(b) The D'Uberville legend of the carriage.
(c) The legend of the cross.
(d) The D'Urberville legend of the masked man.
15. Who is the owner of the farm at Flintcomb Ash where Tess finds work?
(a) Farmer Grimsby.
(b) Farmer Flint.
(c) Farmer Grodie.
(d) Farmer Groby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
2. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
3. What do Angel's parents read to him?
4. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
5. How does Marian react to the marriage?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)