|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
(a) Looking at the carriage, to see if she can discover why it is an ill omen.
(b) In the church looking at the tombs of her ancestors.
(c) In the church praying.
(d) In the field behind the burial grounds.
2. When Alec appears again, in Chapter 47, he blames Tess for ____.
(a) Causing a rift between him and his family.
(b) Driving him into missionary work.
(c) Causing him to become lazy.
(d) Causing him to lose his faith.
3. After someone close to her dies, Tess decides to move the family to ____.
4. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
(b) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
(c) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
5. When Tess tells Angel about her true past, how does she expect he will react?
(a) Say it doesn't matter.
(b) Be angry.
(c) Divorce her.
(d) Forgive her.
6. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
(a) A flock of dying pheasants.
(c) A flock of injured geese.
(d) A flock of blackbirds.
7. What does Angel buy for Tess, in Chapter 32?
(c) A new house.
(d) Clothes for the wedding.
8. What do Angel's parents read to him?
(a) A biblical passage about virtue.
(b) A biblical passage about the imporance of marriage.
(c) A biblical passage about forgiveness.
(d) A biblical passage about pre-marital sex.
9. What do Angel and Liza Lu see from the hill behind the prison that tells them Tess is dead?
(a) A red flag above the tower.
(b) A black flag above the tower.
(c) A black flag above the church.
10. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
(a) Work in the wheat fields.
(b) Work in the barn.
(c) Work in the kitchen.
(d) Work in the turnip fields.
11. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) A vacant manor.
(b) A vacant cabin.
(c) A vacant church.
(d) Under a bridge.
12. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
(a) The legend of the cross.
(b) The D'Uberville legend of the carriage.
(c) The D'Urberville legend of the masked man.
(d) That he saw vultures flying overhead - an omen of death.
13. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
(a) Pay for her brother's schooling.
(b) Repair the outhouse roof.
(c) Repair the cottage roof.
(d) Buy more goats and chickens.
14. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
15. How does Tess feel when she finds herself taken into captivity?
(a) Anxious because she is not sure what will happen next.
(b) Rebellious, she thinks she should fight.
(c) Relieved, and glad, because she thinks she is unworthy of Angel's love.
(d) Terrified, she does not want to be punished.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel and Tess agree to separate. What does Angel tell Tess when they part?
2. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
3. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
4. With what quote does Hardy end the tale?
5. What does Tess find out from Marian?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)