|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 46, who is Tess referring to when she says "He won't hurt me, he's not in love with me."
(c) Farmer Groby.
2. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
(b) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
(c) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
(d) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
3. What does Tess find out from Marian?
(a) That Angel asked Izz to go away with him.
(b) That Angel asked Liza Lu to go away with him.
(c) That Angel asked Car Darch to go away with him.
(d) That Angel asked Rhetty to go away with him.
4. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
(a) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(b) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(c) His brother Cuthbert is marrying Mercy Chant.
(d) His brother Cuthbert is marrying the Queen of Spades.
5. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A stone chapel.
(c) A Cross.
(d) A tombstone.
6. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
(b) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(c) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(d) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
7. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
(a) Liza Lu.
(b) Angel's father.
8. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
(a) It is a pagan symbol.
(b) It is a symbol of Christianity.
(c) It is a commemoration to someone who sold his soul to the devil.
(d) It is a symbol of chastity.
9. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) A vacant church.
(b) Under a bridge.
(c) A vacant cabin.
(d) A vacant manor.
10. What do Angel's parents read to him?
(a) A biblical passage about virtue.
(b) A biblical passage about pre-marital sex.
(c) A biblical passage about forgiveness.
(d) A biblical passage about the imporance of marriage.
11. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
(a) That her mother is dead.
(b) That her mother is dying.
(c) That her father has been imprisoned for drunkenness.
(d) That her father is dying.
12. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
(b) Not educated enough yet.
(d) A liar.
13. Who tells Tess about the farm at Flintcomb Ash, and that she might find work there?
(c) Mrs. Crick.
14. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
(a) Tells her he will forgive her but only if she obeys him.
(b) He says she is not the person he thought he was marrying.
(c) Forgives her, since her seduction by Alec was not her fault.
(d) Says the past doesn't really matter.
15. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
(a) Angry because Tess made an oath that she wouldn't marry.
(b) Very happy for them.
(c) Sad, because Tess will be of a higher class than they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Angel and Liza Lu see from the hill behind the prison that tells them Tess is dead?
2. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
3. While Tess is traveling through the woods on the journey she takes after learning that Angel asked someone else to go to Brazil with him, what does she find lying on the ground?
4. What is Tess's punishment for the murder of Alec?
5. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)