|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
2. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
(a) To pretend they haven't seen her.
(b) To take her before she wakes up.
(c) Not to hurt her.
(d) Not to take her until she awakens.
3. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
(d) Mercy Chant.
4. In Chapter 37, what happens during the night?
(a) Angel wakes Tess and tells her he forgives her.
(b) Angel wakes Tess, wraps her in a shroud, and puts her in a coffin.
(c) Tess leaves the manor and Angel, and starts the journey to her parents' house.
(d) Tess wakes Angel and begs once more for forgiveness.
5. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A Cross.
(c) A stone chapel.
(d) A tombstone.
6. When Tess catches up with Angel and tells him she has killed Alec, the pair decide to _______.
(a) Run away to Brazil.
(b) Return to Sandbourne.
(c) Go to Tantridge so Tess can turn herself in.
(d) Hide in the woods until the search for Tess is called off.
7. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
(b) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
(c) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
(d) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
8. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
(a) Work in the turnip fields.
(b) Work in the wheat fields.
(c) Work in the kitchen.
(d) Work in the barn.
9. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
(a) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(b) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(c) His brother Cuthbert is marrying Mercy Chant.
(d) His brother Cuthbert is marrying the Queen of Spades.
10. Tess makes a request of Angel, in case something happens to her. What does she ask?
(a) She asks him to bury her body at Stonehenge.
(b) She asks him to bury her body at sea.
(c) She asks him to marry Liza Lu.
(d) She asks him to marry Izz.
11. What does Angel expect Tess to do when she sees him?
(a) Ask him for a second chance.
(b) Tell him it is too late.
(c) Beg forgiveness.
(d) Welcome him back with open arms.
12. When Tess tells Alec of Angel's visit, how does he react?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He mocks her.
(c) He tells her it's for the best that Angel is out of her life.
(d) He feels sorry for her.
13. In Chapter 52, Angel returns to ____.
14. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
(a) That she should tell Angel the whole truth.
(b) That she should not tell Angel the whole truth.
(c) That she should forget about marriage and concentrate on earning a living.
(d) That she should return to her parents' home.
15. After someone close to her dies, Tess decides to move the family to ____.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
2. Angel's parents give him a letter from Tess. In the letter she ____.
3. Angel wakes one morning to find that he and Tess are surrounded by ____ men.
4. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
5. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)