|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Angel expect Tess to do when she sees him?
(a) Ask him for a second chance.
(b) Beg forgiveness.
(c) Welcome him back with open arms.
(d) Tell him it is too late.
2. In Chapter 41, while Tess is looking for work, she receives a letter telling her about a possible job. Where?
(a) Flintcomb Ash.
(c) Vale of Froom.
3. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
(a) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(b) His brother Cuthbert is marrying Mercy Chant.
(c) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(d) His brother Cuthbert is marrying the Queen of Spades.
4. Angel wakes one morning to find that he and Tess are surrounded by ____ men.
(b) Twenty three.
5. After someone close to her dies, Tess decides to move the family to ____.
6. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
(a) That she should return to her parents' home.
(b) That she should not tell Angel the whole truth.
(c) That she should tell Angel the whole truth.
(d) That she should forget about marriage and concentrate on earning a living.
7. Tess sends a letter to ____ asking for advice about whether she should tell Angel the truth.
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) The parson.
8. Alec prepares a surprise for Tess for after their marriage. What?
(a) That he has bought a new house.
(b) That they will honeymoon at a property owned by the D'Urbervilles.
(c) That they will honeymoon at his parents' house.
(d) That he has contacted the D'Urbervilles on her behalf.
9. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
10. Angel and Tess agree to separate. What does Angel tell Tess when they part?
(a) That he hates her now.
(b) Not to follow him unless he sends for her.
(c) Not to forget him.
(d) That he will always love her.
11. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
(a) The man recognizes Tess and questions her virtue.
(b) The man is an old enemy of Angel's father.
(c) The man is drunk and knocks Tess down.
(d) The man makes a pass at Tess.
12. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
(a) Says the past doesn't really matter.
(b) Tells her he will forgive her but only if she obeys him.
(c) Forgives her, since her seduction by Alec was not her fault.
(d) He says she is not the person he thought he was marrying.
13. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
(a) The wedding certificate.
(b) Gauze curtains.
14. Angel receives another letter, written anonymously by whom?
(a) Marian and Izz.
(c) Rhetty and Izz.
(d) Marian and Rhetty.
15. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
(a) Slaps him in the face with a horse whip.
(b) Tells him she has rejected religion.
(c) Slaps him on the face with her leather glove.
(d) Tells him she will tell her father that he is bothering her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
2. When Tess tells Alec of Angel's visit, how does he react?
3. On the first night of their marriage, Tess and Angel _____.
4. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
5. In Chapter 37, what happens during the night?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)