|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) Under a bridge.
(b) A vacant cabin.
(c) A vacant manor.
(d) A vacant church.
2. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
(a) Alec contacted her, and she is going to work for his mother.
(b) Angel found out about Alec, but forgave her for her past.
(c) She is going to join Angel once he's found a farm for them to live on.
(d) Angel found out about Alec, but not from her.
3. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
(a) To Angel's parents' house to ask for money.
(b) To see her parents and tell them she and Angel are separated.
(c) To her parents' house to make sure they are all well.
(d) To Angel's parents' house to ask for news of him.
4. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
(b) A flock of dying pheasants.
(c) A flock of injured geese.
(d) A flock of blackbirds.
5. How does Tess feel when she finds herself taken into captivity?
(a) Anxious because she is not sure what will happen next.
(b) Rebellious, she thinks she should fight.
(c) Relieved, and glad, because she thinks she is unworthy of Angel's love.
(d) Terrified, she does not want to be punished.
6. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
(a) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(b) His brother Cuthbert is marrying Mercy Chant.
(c) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(d) His brother Cuthbert is marrying the Queen of Spades.
7. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
(a) Angry because Tess made an oath that she wouldn't marry.
(b) Very happy for them.
(c) Sad, because Tess will be of a higher class than they are.
8. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
(a) Mercy Chant.
9. While Tess is traveling through the woods on the journey she takes after learning that Angel asked someone else to go to Brazil with him, what does she find lying on the ground?
(a) A pair of boots.
(b) A blood-stained cloth.
(c) A blood-stained piece of butcher paper.
(d) A key.
10. Angel receives another letter, written anonymously by whom?
(a) Marian and Rhetty.
(c) Rhetty and Izz.
(d) Marian and Izz.
11. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
(b) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(c) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(d) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
12. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
(a) The wedding certificate.
(c) Gauze curtains.
13. What does Tess find out from Marian?
(a) That Angel asked Liza Lu to go away with him.
(b) That Angel asked Car Darch to go away with him.
(c) That Angel asked Rhetty to go away with him.
(d) That Angel asked Izz to go away with him.
14. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(b) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
(c) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(d) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
15. What do Angel's parents read to him?
(a) A biblical passage about the imporance of marriage.
(b) A biblical passage about forgiveness.
(c) A biblical passage about pre-marital sex.
(d) A biblical passage about virtue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
2. When Tess catches up with Angel and tells him she has killed Alec, the pair decide to _______.
3. Who does Tess see working the fields for her parents in Chapter 49?
4. Who tells Tess about the farm at Flintcomb Ash, and that she might find work there?
5. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)