|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angel accompanies Tess part of the way home to Marlott. When they are parting at the crossroads near Marlott, what does Angel do?
(a) Gives Tess money and tells her to contact his parents if she needs more.
(b) Gives her money and tells her to contact him if she needs more.
(c) Gives her a letter.
(d) Promises he will come back for Tess once he's got his farm.
2. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
(a) Tells her he will forgive her but only if she obeys him.
(b) He says she is not the person he thought he was marrying.
(c) Says the past doesn't really matter.
(d) Forgives her, since her seduction by Alec was not her fault.
3. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A Cross.
(c) A tombstone.
(d) A stone chapel.
4. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(b) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
(c) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
5. As Angel is preparing to leave on the train, he gets a telegram telling him what?
(a) His brother Cuthbert is marrying Mercy Chant.
(b) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(c) His brother Felix is marrying Mercy Chant.
(d) His brother Cuthbert is marrying the Queen of Spades.
6. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
(a) Drown herself.
(c) Never speak of the matter again.
(d) Have the marriage annulled.
7. Who tells Tess about the farm at Flintcomb Ash, and that she might find work there?
(a) Mrs. Crick.
8. When Alec appears again, in Chapter 47, he blames Tess for ____.
(a) Driving him into missionary work.
(b) Causing him to lose his faith.
(c) Causing a rift between him and his family.
(d) Causing him to become lazy.
9. Alec offers Tess and her family lodgings at ____.
(a) His farm.
(c) The D'Urberville manor house.
10. Who does Tess see working the fields for her parents in Chapter 49?
(d) The parson.
11. Angel receives another letter, written anonymously by whom?
(a) Rhetty and Izz.
(b) Marian and Izz.
(c) Marian and Rhetty.
12. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
(a) Fifty pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(b) Twenty five pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(c) A gift.
(d) A letter of apology.
13. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
(b) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
(c) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(d) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
14. When Tess tells Alec of Angel's visit, how does he react?
(a) He feels sorry for her.
(b) He mocks her.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He tells her it's for the best that Angel is out of her life.
15. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
(a) That she is his slave and always will be.
(b) That he is her master, and always will be.
(c) That he is going to Africa to forget her.
(d) That he thinks she is being foolish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
2. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
3. With what quote does Hardy end the tale?
4. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
5. When Angel and Liza Lu leave the prison, they go up on a hill above _____.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)