|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 52, Angel returns to ____.
2. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
(a) Drown herself.
(b) Never speak of the matter again.
(c) Have the marriage annulled.
3. What is Tess's punishment for the murder of Alec?
(a) Death by hanging.
(b) She isn't punished, she escapes.
(c) Death by firing squad.
(d) Death by poison.
4. Angel returns to the D'Urberville manor house, which is located where?
5. As the family is moving, they encounter ____ and ____.
(a) Rhetty and Marian.
(b) Alec and his father.
(c) Izz and Marian.
(d) Izz and Rhetty.
6. On the first night of their marriage, Tess and Angel _____.
(a) Have a romantic dinner.
(b) Dance in the D'Urberville manor house.
(c) Sleep in separate rooms.
(d) Go to church.
7. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
(a) Angel found out about Alec, but forgave her for her past.
(b) She is going to join Angel once he's found a farm for them to live on.
(c) Angel found out about Alec, but not from her.
(d) Alec contacted her, and she is going to work for his mother.
8. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
(a) A stone chapel.
(b) A tombstone.
(c) A crucifix.
(d) A Cross.
9. After Angel returns from Brazil, he leaves his parents' home and sets out to look for Tess. Where does he go first to look for her?
(a) Flintcomb Ash.
10. Angel wakes one morning to find that he and Tess are surrounded by ____ men.
(c) Twenty three.
11. When Tess catches up with Angel and tells him she has killed Alec, the pair decide to _______.
(a) Return to Sandbourne.
(b) Run away to Brazil.
(c) Go to Tantridge so Tess can turn herself in.
(d) Hide in the woods until the search for Tess is called off.
12. What do Angel and Liza Lu see from the hill behind the prison that tells them Tess is dead?
(a) A black flag above the tower.
(b) A black flag above the church.
(c) A red flag above the tower.
13. Tess sends a letter to ____ asking for advice about whether she should tell Angel the truth.
(a) The parson.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
14. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
(a) A flock of blackbirds.
(b) A flock of injured geese.
(c) A flock of dying pheasants.
15. What does Angel expect Tess to do when she sees him?
(a) Ask him for a second chance.
(b) Beg forgiveness.
(c) Welcome him back with open arms.
(d) Tell him it is too late.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
2. Angel and Tess agree to separate. What does Angel tell Tess when they part?
3. With what quote does Hardy end the tale?
4. What does Alec tell Tess in Chapter 47, when she refuses him yet again?
5. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)