|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Angel's parents read to him?
(a) A biblical passage about forgiveness.
(b) A biblical passage about the imporance of marriage.
(c) A biblical passage about virtue.
(d) A biblical passage about pre-marital sex.
2. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
(a) Twenty five pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(b) A gift.
(c) Fifty pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(d) A letter of apology.
3. In Marlott, Angel discovers what?
(a) The burial plot of Tess's mother.
(b) The burial plot of Tess's father.
(c) The burial plot of Tess's sister.
(d) The burial plot of Tess's baby.
4. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
(a) Return to her parents' house and take care of her mother.
(b) Return to her parents' house and borrow money to help her parents financially.
(c) Return to her parents' house and take care of her father.
(d) Return to her parents' house and take care of Liza Lu.
5. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
(a) Angel's birthday.
(b) New Year's Eve.
(c) Christmas Eve.
(d) The next September.
6. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(b) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
(c) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
(d) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
7. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
(d) Mercy Chant.
8. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
(b) The wedding certificate.
(d) Gauze curtains.
9. Angel decides to go to _______.
(b) British West Indies.
10. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
(b) Angel's father.
(d) Liza Lu.
11. Who discovers the murder?
(a) Tess's brother.
(b) Mr. Brooks, the workman.
(c) Mrs. Brooms, the landlady.
(d) Mrs. Brooks, the landlady.
12. How does Angel react when Tess confesses her secret?
(a) Says the past doesn't really matter.
(b) Tells her he will forgive her but only if she obeys him.
(c) He says she is not the person he thought he was marrying.
(d) Forgives her, since her seduction by Alec was not her fault.
13. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
(a) Angel found out about Alec, but forgave her for her past.
(b) Alec contacted her, and she is going to work for his mother.
(c) Angel found out about Alec, but not from her.
(d) She is going to join Angel once he's found a farm for them to live on.
14. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(b) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(c) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
(d) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
15. While Tess is traveling through the woods on the journey she takes after learning that Angel asked someone else to go to Brazil with him, what does she find lying on the ground?
(a) A pair of boots.
(b) A blood-stained cloth.
(c) A key.
(d) A blood-stained piece of butcher paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Angel and Liza Lu see from the hill behind the prison that tells them Tess is dead?
2. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
3. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
4. Alec insists Tess swear by a stone monument that she will not tempt him again. What is the monument?
5. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)