|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
(b) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
(c) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
(d) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
2. To make herself unattractive, Tess _____.
(a) Cuts off her eyebrows and pretends she has a toothache.
(b) Wears old clothes.
(c) Cuts off her eyebrows and her hair.
(d) Cuts her hair and wears old clothes.
3. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
(a) Not educated enough yet.
(b) A liar.
4. With what quote does Hardy end the tale?
(a) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(b) "[T]he King of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(c) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville lords and ladies slept on in their tombs unknowing."
(d) "[T]he President of the Immortals, . . . had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights and dames slumbered on in their tombs unknowing."
5. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
(a) Fifty pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(b) A gift.
(c) Twenty five pounds, half the money Angel gave her.
(d) A letter of apology.
6. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
(a) Gold goblets.
(b) A horse and coach.
(c) Diamond jewelry.
(d) Sapphire earrings.
7. Tess sends a letter to ____ asking for advice about whether she should tell Angel the truth.
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) The parson.
8. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
(a) New Year's Eve.
(b) Christmas Eve.
(c) The next September.
(d) Angel's birthday.
9. When Angel and Tess finally announce their betrothal, the other dairymaids are ______.
(a) Very happy for them.
(b) Angry because Tess made an oath that she wouldn't marry.
(c) Sad, because Tess will be of a higher class than they are.
10. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
(a) An Englishman he meets in Belize tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(b) He hears that Tess is in contact with Alec again.
(c) An Englishman he meets in Brazil tells him he was wrong to abandon Tess.
(d) Alec writes to him and asks him to divorce Tess.
11. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
(a) To pretend they haven't seen her.
(b) To take her before she wakes up.
(c) Not to take her until she awakens.
(d) Not to hurt her.
12. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
(a) Mr. Crick.
(b) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
13. Alec offers Tess and her family lodgings at ____.
(c) His farm.
(d) The D'Urberville manor house.
14. Who discovers the murder?
(a) Mr. Brooks, the workman.
(b) Mrs. Brooms, the landlady.
(c) Tess's brother.
(d) Mrs. Brooks, the landlady.
15. Who is the owner of the farm at Flintcomb Ash where Tess finds work?
(a) Farmer Flint.
(b) Farmer Groby.
(c) Farmer Grimsby.
(d) Farmer Grodie.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the family is moving, they encounter ____ and ____.
2. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
3. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
4. Angel receives another letter, written anonymously by whom?
5. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)