|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tess tells Alec of Angel's visit, how does he react?
(a) He mocks her.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He tells her it's for the best that Angel is out of her life.
(d) He feels sorry for her.
2. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
(a) He thinks she loves him.
(b) He wants to convert her to Christianity.
(c) He wants to right the wrong he did.
(d) He wants to protect her from Angel.
3. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
(a) To take her before she wakes up.
(b) To pretend they haven't seen her.
(c) Not to take her until she awakens.
(d) Not to hurt her.
4. What does Angel buy for Tess, in Chapter 32?
(b) A new house.
(d) Clothes for the wedding.
5. Who discovers the murder?
(a) Tess's brother.
(b) Mrs. Brooks, the landlady.
(c) Mr. Brooks, the workman.
(d) Mrs. Brooms, the landlady.
6. Who is the owner of the farm at Flintcomb Ash where Tess finds work?
(a) Farmer Groby.
(b) Farmer Grimsby.
(c) Farmer Grodie.
(d) Farmer Flint.
7. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
(a) He doesn't respond.
(b) He says he doesn't know.
(c) He says 'no'.
(d) He says 'yes'.
8. To make herself unattractive, Tess _____.
(a) Cuts off her eyebrows and pretends she has a toothache.
(b) Wears old clothes.
(c) Cuts off her eyebrows and her hair.
(d) Cuts her hair and wears old clothes.
9. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
(a) That she should not tell Angel the whole truth.
(b) That she should forget about marriage and concentrate on earning a living.
(c) That she should return to her parents' home.
(d) That she should tell Angel the whole truth.
10. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
(a) One night.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Fifteen days.
11. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
(b) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
(c) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
(d) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
12. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
(a) That her father is dying.
(b) That her mother is dead.
(c) That her father has been imprisoned for drunkenness.
(d) That her mother is dying.
13. In Chapter 37, what happens during the night?
(a) Angel wakes Tess, wraps her in a shroud, and puts her in a coffin.
(b) Tess leaves the manor and Angel, and starts the journey to her parents' house.
(c) Angel wakes Tess and tells her he forgives her.
(d) Tess wakes Angel and begs once more for forgiveness.
14. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) New Year's Eve.
(c) Angel's birthday.
(d) The next September.
15. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
(a) Gold goblets.
(b) Diamond jewelry.
(c) A horse and coach.
(d) Sapphire earrings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Angel and Liza Lu see from the hill behind the prison that tells them Tess is dead?
2. How does Marian react to the marriage?
3. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
4. What job does Tess do at the farm, until winter arrives?
5. In Chapter 51 Tess arrives at the new lodgings to find that ___.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)