|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angel decides to go to _______.
(a) British West Indies.
2. While Tess is traveling through the woods on the journey she takes after learning that Angel asked someone else to go to Brazil with him, what does she find lying on the ground?
(a) A key.
(b) A blood-stained cloth.
(c) A pair of boots.
(d) A blood-stained piece of butcher paper.
3. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
(a) He doesn't respond.
(b) He says 'yes'.
(c) He says he doesn't know.
(d) He says 'no'.
4. When Angel finally finds Tess, he is surprised by the ____ surroundings she is living in.
5. On the first night of their marriage, Tess and Angel _____.
(a) Have a romantic dinner.
(b) Go to church.
(c) Dance in the D'Urberville manor house.
(d) Sleep in separate rooms.
6. Angel accompanies Tess part of the way home to Marlott. When they are parting at the crossroads near Marlott, what does Angel do?
(a) Promises he will come back for Tess once he's got his farm.
(b) Gives her a letter.
(c) Gives Tess money and tells her to contact his parents if she needs more.
(d) Gives her money and tells her to contact him if she needs more.
7. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
(b) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
(c) Mr. Crick.
8. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
(b) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(c) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
(d) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
9. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
(a) Alec contacted her, and she is going to work for his mother.
(b) She is going to join Angel once he's found a farm for them to live on.
(c) Angel found out about Alec, but forgave her for her past.
(d) Angel found out about Alec, but not from her.
10. Who discovers the murder?
(a) Mr. Brooks, the workman.
(b) Mrs. Brooms, the landlady.
(c) Mrs. Brooks, the landlady.
(d) Tess's brother.
11. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) A vacant manor.
(b) Under a bridge.
(c) A vacant cabin.
(d) A vacant church.
12. When Tess tells Angel about her true past, how does she expect he will react?
(a) Forgive her.
(b) Divorce her.
(c) Say it doesn't matter.
(d) Be angry.
13. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
(a) That he seduced Rhetty before Tess came to the dairy.
(b) That he is color blind.
(c) That he knows about her relationship with Alec.
(d) That he had an affair with a woman in London.
14. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
(a) No one, Alec has not changed.
(b) Mercy Chant.
(c) The parson from Marlott.
(d) Her own father.
15. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
(a) Not to hurt her.
(b) To pretend they haven't seen her.
(c) To take her before she wakes up.
(d) Not to take her until she awakens.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Marlott, Angel discovers what?
2. Angel reconsiders his attitude towards Tess and his rejection of her, when ___.
3. When Tess leaves her parents house to go look for work elsewhere, what does she leave for her parents?
4. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
5. In Chapter 51 Tess arrives at the new lodgings to find that ___.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)