|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alec offers Tess and her family lodgings at ____.
(b) His farm.
(c) The D'Urberville manor house.
2. What advice does Tess receive in response to the letter she has sent asking for advice about whether to tell Angel the truth?
(a) That she should forget about marriage and concentrate on earning a living.
(b) That she should not tell Angel the whole truth.
(c) That she should return to her parents' home.
(d) That she should tell Angel the whole truth.
3. Tess and Angel pass through Stonehenge, which is also known as _____.
(a) Winds of the Cross.
(b) Temple of the Cross.
(c) Pagan Winds.
(d) Temple of the Winds.
4. Angel's parents give him a letter from Tess. In the letter she ____.
(a) Tells him she is marrying Alec.
(b) Berates him for leaving her.
(c) Begs forgiveness.
(d) Promises to do whatever is necessary to win him back.
5. After someone close to her dies, Tess decides to move the family to ____.
6. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
(a) Five days.
(b) One night.
(c) Fifteen days.
(d) Two days.
7. In Chapter 41, while walking in the woods, Tess comes across _____.
(a) A flock of dying pheasants.
(b) A flock of blackbirds.
(c) A flock of injured geese.
8. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
(a) The man is drunk and knocks Tess down.
(b) The man makes a pass at Tess.
(c) The man recognizes Tess and questions her virtue.
(d) The man is an old enemy of Angel's father.
9. In Chapter 48 who arrives with news for Tess?
(b) Liza Lu.
(c) Angel's father.
10. Angel has hung ____ over the marriage bed.
(a) The wedding certificate.
(b) Gauze curtains.
11. What does Tess find out from Marian?
(a) That Angel asked Rhetty to go away with him.
(b) That Angel asked Izz to go away with him.
(c) That Angel asked Car Darch to go away with him.
(d) That Angel asked Liza Lu to go away with him.
12. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
(a) Not to take her until she awakens.
(b) To pretend they haven't seen her.
(c) To take her before she wakes up.
(d) Not to hurt her.
13. As the family is moving, they encounter ____ and ____.
(a) Alec and his father.
(b) Rhetty and Marian.
(c) Izz and Rhetty.
(d) Izz and Marian.
14. After the murder of Alec, Tess and Angel take shelter where?
(a) A vacant cabin.
(b) Under a bridge.
(c) A vacant church.
(d) A vacant manor.
15. In Chapter 47, Tess tries once more to get Alec to leave her alone. What does she do?
(a) Slaps him in the face with a horse whip.
(b) Slaps him on the face with her leather glove.
(c) Tells him she will tell her father that he is bothering her.
(d) Tells him she has rejected religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
2. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
3. Angel decides to go to _______.
4. In the morning, after the scene in the graveyard, Tess and Angel travel to _____.
5. Who tells Tess about the farm at Flintcomb Ash, and that she might find work there?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)