|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
(a) Plays the harp so she will feel happier about working.
(b) Carries the milk pails for her.
(c) Pays someone to do some of her chores.
(d) Makes sure the cows she has to milk are the most good-natured ones.
2. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(b) At church.
(c) Walking home from school.
(d) At a dance on the green.
3. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
(a) He is too shy.
(b) He thinks she is busy talking to someone else.
(c) He wants to see if Tess is watching him.
(d) He has to go catch up with his brother.
4. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She thinks he is boring.
(c) She says she is going to walk home.
(d) She asks him to tell her more about it.
5. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
(a) The child has not been baptized.
(b) She can't afford a doctor.
(c) Her father thinks it's her fault.
(d) She thinks she is a bad mother.
6. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
(a) They are both disillusioned with the world.
(b) They both have religious parents.
(c) They both enjoy music.
(d) Neither one of them likes cows.
7. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
8. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Tess's mother.
(c) Dairyman Crick.
(d) Mrs. Crick.
9. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(b) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(c) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
(d) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
10. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
(a) Mr. Crick.
(b) Mr. Clare.
(c) No one.
(d) Mr. Talbothay.
11. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) Tess distrusts him.
(b) She thinks he is too snobbish.
(c) She is attracted to him.
(d) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
12. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
(a) Troilus and Cressida.
(b) Helen of Troy and Agamemnon.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
13. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
(a) That he tried to convert Alec, and succeeded.
(b) That he tried to convert Alec, but failed.
(c) That Angel's brothers are jealous of him.
(d) That he wants Angel to join the clergy.
14. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks she is pretty.
(b) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(c) He thinks he should find his brother.
(d) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
15. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
(a) That he is a cousin of Angel's.
(b) That he is a mercenary.
(c) That he has been run over by a horse.
(d) That he is not really a D'Urberville.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
2. When her parents do not return from the pub, who does Tess send after them to bring them home?
3. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
4. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
5. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)