|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) Tess will like it there.
(b) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(c) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(d) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
2. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Tess's mother.
(b) Mrs. Crick.
(d) Dairyman Crick.
3. What objection does Angel make to the woman his parents want him to marry?
(a) She is afraid of cows.
(b) She is too delicate and refined.
(c) She is not religious enough.
(d) She is not as virtuous as Tess.
4. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
(a) She thinks she shouldn't have taken the horse out in the dark.
(b) She caused the accident that resulted in the horse being killed.
(c) Her father tells her it is her fault.
(d) She thinks if she hadn't fallen asleep, she could have prevented the accident.
5. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
(a) Asks Tess to run away with him.
(b) Tells Mr. Crick he is leaving his job.
(c) Pursues one of the other dairymaids.
(d) Asks Tess to marry him.
6. Talbothays is located very close to ______.
(b) The town of West Clare.
(c) The ancestral burial grounds of the D'Urbervilles.
7. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
(a) She has to wake up the other dairymaids at 3 a.m.
(b) She has to take the milk to market.
(c) She has to make the beds.
(d) She has to make sure the cows don't escape.
8. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(b) No one.
(c) The pastor.
(d) The kind-hearted bishop.
9. How does Mr. Crick hear that the butter has a funny taste?
(a) He reads it in the newspaper.
(b) He gets a letter from a customer.
(c) Someone stops him at the market to tell him.
(d) Rhetty tells him.
10. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(b) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
(c) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(d) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
11. In Chapter 25 Angel decides to go back to his parents' home. Why?
(a) To get away from Tess.
(b) To join the clergy.
(c) Because his father is ill.
(d) To ask their opinion about his desire to marry Tess.
12. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
(a) She has to take the bee hives to market in another town.
(b) She's worried about the family's finances and can't sleep.
(c) She had a bad dream.
(d) Her sister is crying.
13. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
(c) Reluctant and uneasy.
(d) Nervous but happy.
14. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
(a) That he has been run over by a horse.
(b) That he is not really a D'Urberville.
(c) That he is a mercenary.
(d) That he is a cousin of Angel's.
15. What kind of work does Tess do at Talbothays?
(b) Caretaker of birds.
(c) Dairy maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Crick think made the butter taste unpleasant?
2. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
3. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
4. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
5. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)