|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
(a) That Mr. Durbeyfield has won a small fortune.
(b) That Mr. Durbeyfield's house is on fire.
(c) That Mr. Durbeyfield is related to the D'Urbervilles.
(d) That he thinks it is going to rain.
2. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
3. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
(b) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
(c) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
(d) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
4. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(b) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(c) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(d) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
5. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
(a) He seduces her.
(b) He wakes her up so they can go home.
(c) He holds her hand.
(d) He watches her sleep.
6. What do Angel and his father do at the end of their talk?
(a) Pray for Alec.
(b) Go to church.
(c) Pray for Angel's brothers.
(d) Have an argument.
7. When Angel tells Tess he loves her, and hugs her, she makes an excuse to move out of his embrace. What is her excuse?
(a) That she has been stung by a bee.
(b) That she doesn't feel the same way.
(c) That she doesn't want anyone to see them.
(d) That the cow might kick over the milk pail.
8. What kind of work does Tess do at Talbothays?
(a) Caretaker of birds.
(d) Dairy maid.
9. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
(a) Mrs. Crick.
(b) An unhappy customer.
(c) Mr. Crick.
(d) Marian, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
10. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
(a) With friendship.
(b) She is made welcome.
(c) Like any other servant.
(d) Like a long-lost relative.
11. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he will take care of her.
(d) That he wants to be a doctor.
12. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Dairyman Crick.
(b) Tess's mother.
(c) Mrs. Crick.
13. What objection does Angel make to the woman his parents want him to marry?
(a) She is afraid of cows.
(b) She is too delicate and refined.
(c) She is not as virtuous as Tess.
(d) She is not religious enough.
14. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
(a) Leave Talbothays.
(b) Marry Mercy Chant.
(c) Ask her parents for her hand.
(d) Marry Marian.
15. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
(a) A flood.
(b) A sick cow.
(c) A beautiful meadow.
(d) A storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Angel first see Tess?
2. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
3. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
4. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
5. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)