|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Angel react when Tess tells him about her past?
(a) He suggests she make contact with the D'Urbervilles.
(b) He is confused because he thinks she should be proud of her family connections.
(c) He thinks that being a D'Urberville will make his parents accept her all the more readily.
(d) He is angry.
2. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
(a) Ask her parents for her hand.
(b) Marry Mercy Chant.
(c) Marry Marian.
(d) Leave Talbothays.
3. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
(a) She asks him to tell her more about it.
(b) She thinks he is boring.
(c) She says she is going to walk home.
(d) She is happy.
4. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
(a) She is angry at Alec for hurting Tess.
(b) She tells Tess that it is her own fault.
(c) She is angry that Tess didn't force Alec to marry her.
(d) She doesn't believe Tess.
5. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
(a) Angel has rejected religious principles and won't be part of the clergy, so his father thinks he doesn't really need a college education.
(b) He can't afford it.
(c) He thinks college is a waste of money.
(d) Angel's family is wealthy so he won't need to study for a career.
6. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(a) No one.
(b) The kind-hearted bishop.
(d) The pastor.
7. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
(a) She thinks she is a bad mother.
(b) She can't afford a doctor.
(c) Her father thinks it's her fault.
(d) The child has not been baptized.
8. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks he should find his brother.
(b) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(c) He thinks she is pretty.
(d) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
9. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
(a) Mr. Talbothay.
(b) No one.
(c) Mr. Crick.
(d) Mr. Clare.
10. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
(a) They both have religious parents.
(b) They both enjoy music.
(c) They are both disillusioned with the world.
(d) Neither one of them likes cows.
11. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
(a) That he tried to convert Alec, and succeeded.
(b) That Angel's brothers are jealous of him.
(c) That he wants Angel to join the clergy.
(d) That he tried to convert Alec, but failed.
12. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(a) Her brother.
(b) She takes the train.
(d) A servant.
13. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
(a) The family fortunes have improved.
(b) She can't remember what Alec looked like.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) Her mother is pregnant.
14. When her parents do not return from the pub, who does Tess send after them to bring them home?
15. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(b) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
(c) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(d) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
2. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
3. While the dairy maids are out in the pasture searching for noxious weeds, Tess feels faint. What does Mr. Crick tell her?
4. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
5. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)