|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
(b) He is used to getting his own way.
(c) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(d) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
2. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks she is pretty.
(b) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
(c) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(d) He thinks he should find his brother.
3. When Angel tells Tess he loves her, and hugs her, she makes an excuse to move out of his embrace. What is her excuse?
(a) That she doesn't want anyone to see them.
(b) That she has been stung by a bee.
(c) That she doesn't feel the same way.
(d) That the cow might kick over the milk pail.
4. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
(c) Nervous but happy.
(d) Reluctant and uneasy.
5. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
(b) The D'Uberville's horsemaster.
(d) The Queen of Spades.
6. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(a) She takes the train.
(b) A servant.
(d) Her brother.
7. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
(a) He decides to take a walk by the river.
(b) He tells his family he's rich.
(c) He goes back to the pub.
(d) He hires a carriage to drive him home.
8. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
(b) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
(c) Kisses Tess.
(d) Asks Tess to a dance.
9. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
(a) Sir James.
(b) Mr. D.
(c) Sir John.
(d) Mr. Durbeyfield.
10. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
(a) Ask her parents for her hand.
(b) Leave Talbothays.
(c) Marry Mercy Chant.
(d) Marry Marian.
11. How does Angel react when Tess tells him about her past?
(a) He suggests she make contact with the D'Urbervilles.
(b) He is confused because he thinks she should be proud of her family connections.
(c) He thinks that being a D'Urberville will make his parents accept her all the more readily.
(d) He is angry.
12. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
(a) She is happy to see someone familiar-looking.
(b) She doesn't like him at all.
(c) She is afraid he might recognize her.
(d) She thinks he is funny-looking.
13. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
(a) He watches her sleep.
(b) He seduces her.
(c) He holds her hand.
(d) He wakes her up so they can go home.
14. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
(a) Mr. Clare.
(b) No one.
(c) Mr. Talbothay.
(d) Mr. Crick.
15. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
(a) That he tried to convert Alec, and succeeded.
(b) That he wants Angel to join the clergy.
(c) That he tried to convert Alec, but failed.
(d) That Angel's brothers are jealous of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
3. At dinnertime, Angel is seated at a different table than the other dairy workers because ______.
4. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
5. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)