|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
(a) That Angel's brothers are jealous of him.
(b) That he tried to convert Alec, but failed.
(c) That he wants Angel to join the clergy.
(d) That he tried to convert Alec, and succeeded.
2. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He offers to marry her.
(c) He pretends he doesn't know what she is talking about.
(d) He offers her money.
3. In Chapter 12, what does Tess decide to do after she's been at the D'Urberville mansion for a few weeks?
(a) Marry Alec.
(b) Tell Mrs. D'Urberville what Alec has done to her.
(c) Return home.
(d) Confront the Queen of Spades.
4. Tess decides to go to Talbothays when she hears about a possible job there. Where is Talbothays located?
(a) On the outskirts of Marlott.
(b) In the Vale of Froom.
(c) About 5 miles from her father's house.
(d) In Ireland.
5. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
(a) That he has been run over by a horse.
(b) That he is a mercenary.
(c) That he is not really a D'Urberville.
(d) That he is a cousin of Angel's.
6. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) He is used to getting his own way.
(b) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(c) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
(d) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
7. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) Tess distrusts him.
(b) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
(c) She is attracted to him.
(d) She thinks he is too snobbish.
8. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(b) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
(c) She was coerced into it.
(d) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
9. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(b) He thinks he should find his brother.
(c) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
(d) He thinks she is pretty.
10. How old is Tess when she goes to Talbothays?
11. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Asks Tess to a dance.
(b) Kisses Tess.
(c) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
(d) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
12. What does Tess tell Angel in Chapter 30 about her past?
(a) That Alec seduced her.
(b) That she is already married.
(c) That she has had a baby.
(d) That she is related to the D'Urbervilles.
13. How does Mr. Crick hear that the butter has a funny taste?
(a) Rhetty tells him.
(b) He reads it in the newspaper.
(c) Someone stops him at the market to tell him.
(d) He gets a letter from a customer.
14. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
(a) Locks the other children in the cottage and goes to fetch her parents.
(b) Sends her sister to find them.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Asks a neighbor to go get them.
15. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(b) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
(c) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
(d) Ignores her at a dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
2. Who eventually baptizes the child?
3. While the dairy maids are out in the pasture searching for noxious weeds, Tess feels faint. What does Mr. Crick tell her?
4. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
5. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)