|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess name her baby?
2. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
(a) An unhappy customer.
(b) Marian, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
(c) Mrs. Crick.
(d) Mr. Crick.
3. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks he should find his brother.
(b) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(c) He thinks she is pretty.
(d) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
4. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She thinks he is boring.
(c) She asks him to tell her more about it.
(d) She says she is going to walk home.
5. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(b) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(c) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(d) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
6. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
(a) That she will leave the farm.
(b) That she will give her blessing for him to marry one of the other dairymaids.
(c) That she will reveal the reason she can't marry him on Sunday.
(d) That she will give her blessing for him to marry Mercy Chant.
7. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(a) The pastor.
(c) The kind-hearted bishop.
(d) No one.
8. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Asks Tess to a dance.
(b) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
(c) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
(d) Kisses Tess.
9. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) Angel's brother.
(b) The police officer.
(c) The Queen of Spades.
(d) The dark-haired milkmaid.
10. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
(a) On a moonlit walk.
(b) At dinner.
(c) In the pasture.
(d) In the barn.
11. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is independently wealthy.
(c) He is a bishop.
(d) He is a parson.
12. Tess decides to go to Talbothays when she hears about a possible job there. Where is Talbothays located?
(a) On the outskirts of Marlott.
(b) In Ireland.
(c) About 5 miles from her father's house.
(d) In the Vale of Froom.
13. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She was coerced into it.
(b) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(c) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(d) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
14. In Chapter 12, what does Tess decide to do after she's been at the D'Urberville mansion for a few weeks?
(a) Tell Mrs. D'Urberville what Alec has done to her.
(b) Return home.
(c) Marry Alec.
(d) Confront the Queen of Spades.
15. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(b) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(c) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(d) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
Short Answer Questions
1. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
2. Angel's two brothers are named Cuthert and ____?
3. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
4. Where do Angel's parents live?
5. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)