|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(b) At a dance on the green.
(c) At church.
(d) Walking home from school.
2. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
(a) Mrs. Crick.
(b) An unhappy customer.
(c) Marian, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
(d) Mr. Crick.
3. How does Angel react when Tess tells him about her past?
(a) He suggests she make contact with the D'Urbervilles.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is confused because he thinks she should be proud of her family connections.
(d) He thinks that being a D'Urberville will make his parents accept her all the more readily.
4. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
(a) That he thinks it is going to rain.
(b) That Mr. Durbeyfield is related to the D'Urbervilles.
(c) That Mr. Durbeyfield has won a small fortune.
(d) That Mr. Durbeyfield's house is on fire.
5. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
(b) Mercy Chant.
(d) The Queen of Spades.
6. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks she is pretty.
(b) He thinks he should find his brother.
(c) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
(d) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
7. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That he wants to be a doctor.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he will take care of her.
(d) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
8. What objection does Angel make to the woman his parents want him to marry?
(a) She is too delicate and refined.
(b) She is not as virtuous as Tess.
(c) She is afraid of cows.
(d) She is not religious enough.
9. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) Angel's brother.
(b) The Queen of Spades.
(c) The dark-haired milkmaid.
(d) The police officer.
10. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
(b) She thinks he won't believe her.
(c) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
(d) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
11. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(b) Dairyman Crick.
(c) Mrs. Crick.
(d) Tess's mother.
12. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
(a) Tell him they aren't good enough for him.
(b) Ask him to make a choice.
(c) Avoid him so he will spend time with the others.
(d) Ask him how he feels about them.
13. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
(a) She doesn't believe Tess.
(b) She is angry that Tess didn't force Alec to marry her.
(c) She tells Tess that it is her own fault.
(d) She is angry at Alec for hurting Tess.
14. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) Tess distrusts him.
(b) She is attracted to him.
(c) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
(d) She thinks he is too snobbish.
15. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(b) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(c) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(d) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the dairy maids are out in the pasture searching for noxious weeds, Tess feels faint. What does Mr. Crick tell her?
2. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
3. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
4. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
5. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)