|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
(a) Ask him how he feels about them.
(b) Ask him to make a choice.
(c) Tell him they aren't good enough for him.
(d) Avoid him so he will spend time with the others.
2. What does Mr. Crick think made the butter taste unpleasant?
(a) The milk is too warm, and has started to turn sour.
(b) The cows are nervous and are giving bad milk.
(c) The cows have been eating garlic weeds.
(d) The butter churn is not working properly.
3. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
(a) Adam and Eve.
(b) Troilus and Cressida.
(c) Helen of Troy and Agamemnon.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
4. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Asks Tess to a dance.
(b) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
(c) Kisses Tess.
(d) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
5. Who meets Tess and shows her around Tantridge?
(a) The milkmaids.
(b) Her elderly aunt.
(d) Alec D'Uberville.
6. What objection does Angel make to the woman his parents want him to marry?
(a) She is too delicate and refined.
(b) She is afraid of cows.
(c) She is not as virtuous as Tess.
(d) She is not religious enough.
7. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That he will take care of her.
(b) That he wants to be a doctor.
(c) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
(d) That he loves her.
8. At dinnertime, Angel is seated at a different table than the other dairy workers because ______.
(a) The dairyman's wife is afraid he will corrupt the dairymaids.
(b) He is of a higher class.
(c) He has a contagious disease.
(d) He likes to read while he eats dinner.
9. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
(a) She has to make the beds.
(b) She has to wake up the other dairymaids at 3 a.m.
(c) She has to make sure the cows don't escape.
(d) She has to take the milk to market.
10. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
(b) To a dance.
(c) To visit a sick friend.
(d) To the pub.
11. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He pretends he doesn't know what she is talking about.
(c) He offers her money.
(d) He offers to marry her.
12. What does Tess finally decide the relationship between herself and Angel?
(a) That he isn't worthy of her.
(b) That they should just be friends.
(c) That it is fated.
(d) That it will never work.
13. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
(b) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
(c) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
(d) She thinks he won't believe her.
14. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
(a) That she will remain at Talbothays as long as they do.
(b) Not to marry Angel.
(c) Not to tell anyone about Alec.
(d) That she will never lie to them.
15. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
(a) Mr. Doll.
(b) Mr. Dollop.
(c) Mr. Doldrum.
(d) Mr. Swallow.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
2. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
4. What kind of work does Tess do at Talbothays?
5. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)