|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
(a) He goes back to the pub.
(b) He hires a carriage to drive him home.
(c) He tells his family he's rich.
(d) He decides to take a walk by the river.
2. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
(b) She thinks he won't believe her.
(c) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
(d) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
3. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) He is used to getting his own way.
(b) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(c) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
(d) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
4. What does Tess name her baby?
5. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
(a) Between two and three years.
(b) Almost four years.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) Five years.
6. How does Angel react when Tess tells him about her past?
(a) He suggests she make contact with the D'Urbervilles.
(b) He thinks that being a D'Urberville will make his parents accept her all the more readily.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is confused because he thinks she should be proud of her family connections.
7. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
(a) In the pasture.
(b) At dinner.
(c) In the barn.
(d) On a moonlit walk.
8. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) She thinks he is too snobbish.
(b) Tess distrusts him.
(c) She is attracted to him.
(d) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
9. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(b) A servant.
(c) Her brother.
(d) She takes the train.
10. When her parents do not return from the pub, who does Tess send after them to bring them home?
11. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
(a) Like any other servant.
(b) Like a long-lost relative.
(c) She is made welcome.
(d) With friendship.
12. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
(a) Mr. Clare.
(b) Mr. Talbothay.
(c) No one.
(d) Mr. Crick.
13. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
(b) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(c) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(d) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
14. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
(a) To the pub.
(c) To visit a sick friend.
(d) To a dance.
15. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess decides to go to Talbothays when she hears about a possible job there. Where is Talbothays located?
2. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
3. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
4. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
5. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)