|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Tess decide to do after she's been at the D'Urberville mansion for a few weeks?
(a) Return home.
(b) Tell Mrs. D'Urberville what Alec has done to her.
(c) Marry Alec.
(d) Confront the Queen of Spades.
2. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
(a) She has to wake up the other dairymaids at 3 a.m.
(b) She has to make sure the cows don't escape.
(c) She has to make the beds.
(d) She has to take the milk to market.
3. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) She is falling in love with Angel.
(b) She is far away from Marlott.
(c) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
(d) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
4. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
(b) Kisses Tess.
(c) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
(d) Asks Tess to a dance.
5. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
(a) Mr. Durbeyfield.
(b) Mr. D.
(c) Sir John.
(d) Sir James.
6. How does Angel react when Tess tells him about her past?
(a) He suggests she make contact with the D'Urbervilles.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He thinks that being a D'Urberville will make his parents accept her all the more readily.
(d) He is confused because he thinks she should be proud of her family connections.
7. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(a) A servant.
(b) She takes the train.
(d) Her brother.
8. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(b) Ignores her at a dance.
(c) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
(d) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
9. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
(a) Her father tells her it is her fault.
(b) She caused the accident that resulted in the horse being killed.
(c) She thinks she shouldn't have taken the horse out in the dark.
(d) She thinks if she hadn't fallen asleep, she could have prevented the accident.
10. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(b) Mrs. Crick.
(c) Tess's mother.
(d) Dairyman Crick.
11. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
(a) She thinks he is boring.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She says she is going to walk home.
(d) She asks him to tell her more about it.
12. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
(b) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
(c) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
(d) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
13. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
(a) That she will never lie to them.
(b) Not to tell anyone about Alec.
(c) That she will remain at Talbothays as long as they do.
(d) Not to marry Angel.
14. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
(a) She is one of Alec's former conquests and is jealous of Tess.
(b) She thinks Tess is going to hit her.
(c) She wants Alec to stick up for her.
(d) She doesn't like strangers and wants Tess to leave.
15. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
(a) That he has been run over by a horse.
(b) That he is not really a D'Urberville.
(c) That he is a cousin of Angel's.
(d) That he is a mercenary.
Short Answer Questions
1. When her parents do not return from the pub, who does Tess send after them to bring them home?
2. Where do Angel's parents live?
3. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
4. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
5. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)