|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) Tess will like it there.
(b) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(c) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(d) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
2. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
(a) Carries the milk pails for her.
(b) Plays the harp so she will feel happier about working.
(c) Makes sure the cows she has to milk are the most good-natured ones.
(d) Pays someone to do some of her chores.
3. What does Tess tell Angel in Chapter 30 about her past?
(a) That she has had a baby.
(b) That Alec seduced her.
(c) That she is already married.
(d) That she is related to the D'Urbervilles.
4. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
(a) She is afraid he might recognize her.
(b) She doesn't like him at all.
(c) She thinks he is funny-looking.
(d) She is happy to see someone familiar-looking.
5. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(a) A servant.
(c) Her brother.
(d) She takes the train.
6. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
(b) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
(c) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(d) He is used to getting his own way.
7. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks she is pretty.
(b) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(c) He thinks he should find his brother.
(d) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
8. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a dance on the green.
(b) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(c) Walking home from school.
(d) At church.
9. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
(a) Happy, the family will have more money.
(b) Worried about Alec's intentions.
(c) Sad, she will miss Tess.
(d) Regretful, she thinks she pressured Tess.
10. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
(a) Mr. Doldrum.
(b) Mr. Dollop.
(c) Mr. Swallow.
(d) Mr. Doll.
11. Angel's two brothers are named Cuthert and ____?
12. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
(a) She had a bad dream.
(b) Her sister is crying.
(c) She has to take the bee hives to market in another town.
(d) She's worried about the family's finances and can't sleep.
13. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
(a) In the barn.
(b) At dinner.
(c) In the pasture.
(d) On a moonlit walk.
14. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(b) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(c) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(d) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
15. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
(a) She thinks she is a bad mother.
(b) The child has not been baptized.
(c) She can't afford a doctor.
(d) Her father thinks it's her fault.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eventually baptizes the child?
2. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
3. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
4. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
5. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)