|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
(b) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
(c) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
(d) She thinks he won't believe her.
2. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
(a) The family fortunes have improved.
(b) She can't remember what Alec looked like.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) Her mother is pregnant.
3. What does Tess tell Angel in Chapter 30 about her past?
(a) That she is already married.
(b) That she is related to the D'Urbervilles.
(c) That Alec seduced her.
(d) That she has had a baby.
4. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Mrs. Crick.
(c) Dairyman Crick.
(d) Tess's mother.
5. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(a) The pastor.
(b) No one.
(d) The kind-hearted bishop.
6. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
(a) She is made welcome.
(b) Like any other servant.
(c) Like a long-lost relative.
(d) With friendship.
7. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(b) She hasn't heard from Alec.
(c) Her mother is angry with her.
(d) She can't find another job.
8. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
(b) Mercy Chant.
(c) The Queen of Spades.
9. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
(a) Sends her sister to find them.
(b) Goes to sleep.
(c) Locks the other children in the cottage and goes to fetch her parents.
(d) Asks a neighbor to go get them.
10. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
(a) He wants to see if Tess is watching him.
(b) He thinks she is busy talking to someone else.
(c) He has to go catch up with his brother.
(d) He is too shy.
11. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
(a) Marian, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
(b) Mrs. Crick.
(c) An unhappy customer.
(d) Mr. Crick.
12. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He pretends he doesn't know what she is talking about.
(c) He offers her money.
(d) He offers to marry her.
13. How old is Tess when she goes to Talbothays?
14. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
(a) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
(d) Alec's mother.
15. When Angel tells Tess he loves her, and hugs her, she makes an excuse to move out of his embrace. What is her excuse?
(a) That she has been stung by a bee.
(b) That the cow might kick over the milk pail.
(c) That she doesn't want anyone to see them.
(d) That she doesn't feel the same way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Angel first see Tess?
2. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
3. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
4. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
5. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)