|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) She is far away from Marlott.
(b) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
(c) She is falling in love with Angel.
(d) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
2. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
(a) She has to make the beds.
(b) She has to make sure the cows don't escape.
(c) She has to take the milk to market.
(d) She has to wake up the other dairymaids at 3 a.m.
3. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
(a) That he has been run over by a horse.
(b) That he is a cousin of Angel's.
(c) That he is not really a D'Urberville.
(d) That he is a mercenary.
4. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
(a) Mr. Swallow.
(b) Mr. Doldrum.
(c) Mr. Doll.
(d) Mr. Dollop.
5. How old is Tess when she goes to Talbothays?
6. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
(a) They both enjoy music.
(b) They are both disillusioned with the world.
(c) Neither one of them likes cows.
(d) They both have religious parents.
7. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
(a) That Angel's brothers are jealous of him.
(b) That he wants Angel to join the clergy.
(c) That he tried to convert Alec, and succeeded.
(d) That he tried to convert Alec, but failed.
8. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
(a) The other dairymaids urge her to do so.
(b) Angel asks her to make a promise.
(c) She wants him to leave her alone.
(d) It wouldn't be fair to marry him if he doesn't know about her past.
9. What does Tess finally decide the relationship between herself and Angel?
(a) That it is fated.
(b) That they should just be friends.
(c) That he isn't worthy of her.
(d) That it will never work.
10. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
(a) Between two and three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Almost four years.
(d) Eighteen months.
11. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
(a) Mercy Chant.
(c) The Queen of Spades.
12. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
(a) He wants to see if Tess is watching him.
(b) He is too shy.
(c) He has to go catch up with his brother.
(d) He thinks she is busy talking to someone else.
13. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) She is attracted to him.
(b) Tess distrusts him.
(c) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
(d) She thinks he is too snobbish.
14. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he wants to be a doctor.
(d) That he will take care of her.
15. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(b) Tess's mother.
(c) Mrs. Crick.
(d) Dairyman Crick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
2. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
3. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
4. What does Tess tell Angel in Chapter 30 about her past?
5. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)