|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess tell Angel in Chapter 30 about her past?
(a) That she has had a baby.
(b) That she is related to the D'Urbervilles.
(c) That she is already married.
(d) That Alec seduced her.
2. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
(a) A storm.
(b) A sick cow.
(c) A flood.
(d) A beautiful meadow.
3. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
(b) She misses her family.
(c) Alec forces her to kiss him.
(d) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
4. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
(a) Sad, she will miss Tess.
(b) Happy, the family will have more money.
(c) Regretful, she thinks she pressured Tess.
(d) Worried about Alec's intentions.
5. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(b) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(c) Tess will like it there.
(d) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
6. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
(a) She thinks he is funny-looking.
(b) She is afraid he might recognize her.
(c) She is happy to see someone familiar-looking.
(d) She doesn't like him at all.
7. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) Her mother is angry with her.
(b) She hasn't heard from Alec.
(c) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(d) She can't find another job.
8. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
(a) She asks him to tell her more about it.
(b) She thinks he is boring.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She says she is going to walk home.
9. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
(a) She has to make the beds.
(b) She has to make sure the cows don't escape.
(c) She has to take the milk to market.
(d) She has to wake up the other dairymaids at 3 a.m.
10. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
(a) Her father thinks it's her fault.
(b) She can't afford a doctor.
(c) She thinks she is a bad mother.
(d) The child has not been baptized.
11. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
(a) Secretly flattered.
(b) Worried that Angel will like one of them better than her.
(c) Guilty, and she thinks she is not good enough for him.
(d) Happy, she likes having people envy her.
12. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
(a) Ask him to make a choice.
(b) Avoid him so he will spend time with the others.
(c) Tell him they aren't good enough for him.
(d) Ask him how he feels about them.
13. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
(a) Asks Tess to marry him.
(b) Tells Mr. Crick he is leaving his job.
(c) Asks Tess to run away with him.
(d) Pursues one of the other dairymaids.
14. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
(b) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(c) He thinks he should find his brother.
(d) He thinks she is pretty.
15. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
(a) He decides to take a walk by the river.
(b) He tells his family he's rich.
(c) He hires a carriage to drive him home.
(d) He goes back to the pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
2. What does Tess name her baby?
3. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
4. What does Mr. Crick think made the butter taste unpleasant?
5. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)