|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a dance on the green.
(b) At church.
(c) Walking home from school.
(d) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
2. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
(a) She doesn't like strangers and wants Tess to leave.
(b) She thinks Tess is going to hit her.
(c) She wants Alec to stick up for her.
(d) She is one of Alec's former conquests and is jealous of Tess.
3. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
(a) Secretly flattered.
(b) Happy, she likes having people envy her.
(c) Guilty, and she thinks she is not good enough for him.
(d) Worried that Angel will like one of them better than her.
4. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
(a) He can't afford it.
(b) Angel's family is wealthy so he won't need to study for a career.
(c) He thinks college is a waste of money.
(d) Angel has rejected religious principles and won't be part of the clergy, so his father thinks he doesn't really need a college education.
5. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(b) He thinks he should find his brother.
(c) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
(d) He thinks she is pretty.
6. What does Tess finally decide the relationship between herself and Angel?
(a) That they should just be friends.
(b) That it is fated.
(c) That he isn't worthy of her.
(d) That it will never work.
7. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
(b) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
(c) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
(d) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
8. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
(b) She is far away from Marlott.
(c) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
(d) She is falling in love with Angel.
9. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) He is used to getting his own way.
(b) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
(c) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(d) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
10. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
(a) The other dairymaids urge her to do so.
(b) It wouldn't be fair to marry him if he doesn't know about her past.
(c) Angel asks her to make a promise.
(d) She wants him to leave her alone.
11. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
(a) That he has been run over by a horse.
(b) That he is a mercenary.
(c) That he is a cousin of Angel's.
(d) That he is not really a D'Urberville.
12. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
(a) They both enjoy music.
(b) Neither one of them likes cows.
(c) They are both disillusioned with the world.
(d) They both have religious parents.
13. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(b) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(c) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(d) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
14. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
(a) The D'Uberville's horsemaster.
(d) The Queen of Spades.
15. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
(a) He offers her money.
(b) He offers to marry her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He pretends he doesn't know what she is talking about.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
2. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
3. Angel's two brothers are named Cuthert and ____?
4. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
5. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)