|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
2. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
(a) That she will never lie to them.
(b) Not to tell anyone about Alec.
(c) Not to marry Angel.
(d) That she will remain at Talbothays as long as they do.
3. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
(a) He watches her sleep.
(b) He holds her hand.
(c) He seduces her.
(d) He wakes her up so they can go home.
4. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) He is used to getting his own way.
(b) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(c) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
(d) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
5. What does Tess tell Angel in Chapter 30 about her past?
(a) That she has had a baby.
(b) That she is related to the D'Urbervilles.
(c) That Alec seduced her.
(d) That she is already married.
6. Angel's two brothers are named Cuthert and ____?
7. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
(a) She is one of Alec's former conquests and is jealous of Tess.
(b) She doesn't like strangers and wants Tess to leave.
(c) She thinks Tess is going to hit her.
(d) She wants Alec to stick up for her.
8. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
(a) Leave Talbothays.
(b) Ask her parents for her hand.
(c) Marry Marian.
(d) Marry Mercy Chant.
9. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
(a) Her father thinks it's her fault.
(b) The child has not been baptized.
(c) She can't afford a doctor.
(d) She thinks she is a bad mother.
10. In Chapter 25 Angel decides to go back to his parents' home. Why?
(a) To get away from Tess.
(b) To join the clergy.
(c) To ask their opinion about his desire to marry Tess.
(d) Because his father is ill.
11. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
(a) They are both disillusioned with the world.
(b) They both enjoy music.
(c) Neither one of them likes cows.
(d) They both have religious parents.
12. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
(b) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
(c) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(d) Ignores her at a dance.
13. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
(b) The D'Uberville's horsemaster.
(c) The Queen of Spades.
14. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) She is falling in love with Angel.
(b) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
(c) She is far away from Marlott.
(d) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
15. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
(a) That he wants Angel to join the clergy.
(b) That he tried to convert Alec, but failed.
(c) That Angel's brothers are jealous of him.
(d) That he tried to convert Alec, and succeeded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tess name her baby?
2. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
3. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
4. Who eventually baptizes the child?
5. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)