|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
(a) On a moonlit walk.
(b) In the barn.
(c) At dinner.
(d) In the pasture.
2. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
(a) She has to take the milk to market.
(b) She has to make sure the cows don't escape.
(c) She has to make the beds.
(d) She has to wake up the other dairymaids at 3 a.m.
3. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
(a) She thinks she shouldn't have taken the horse out in the dark.
(b) She thinks if she hadn't fallen asleep, she could have prevented the accident.
(c) Her father tells her it is her fault.
(d) She caused the accident that resulted in the horse being killed.
4. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(a) She takes the train.
(b) A servant.
(d) Her brother.
5. What does Tess finally decide the relationship between herself and Angel?
(a) That it will never work.
(b) That he isn't worthy of her.
(c) That it is fated.
(d) That they should just be friends.
6. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
(a) Secretly flattered.
(b) Guilty, and she thinks she is not good enough for him.
(c) Worried that Angel will like one of them better than her.
(d) Happy, she likes having people envy her.
7. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
(a) He is too shy.
(b) He has to go catch up with his brother.
(c) He thinks she is busy talking to someone else.
(d) He wants to see if Tess is watching him.
8. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
(a) Leave Talbothays.
(b) Marry Marian.
(c) Ask her parents for her hand.
(d) Marry Mercy Chant.
9. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
(b) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
(c) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
(d) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
10. What do Angel and his father do at the end of their talk?
(a) Pray for Alec.
(b) Have an argument.
(c) Go to church.
(d) Pray for Angel's brothers.
11. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
(a) He wakes her up so they can go home.
(b) He holds her hand.
(c) He seduces her.
(d) He watches her sleep.
12. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
(a) Mr. Crick.
(b) Marian, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
(c) Mrs. Crick.
(d) An unhappy customer.
13. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
(a) Like a long-lost relative.
(b) With friendship.
(c) She is made welcome.
(d) Like any other servant.
14. Tess decides to go to Talbothays when she hears about a possible job there. Where is Talbothays located?
(a) About 5 miles from her father's house.
(b) In Ireland.
(c) On the outskirts of Marlott.
(d) In the Vale of Froom.
15. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She asks him to tell her more about it.
(c) She thinks he is boring.
(d) She says she is going to walk home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
2. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
3. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
4. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
5. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)