|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(a) Her brother.
(c) She takes the train.
(d) A servant.
2. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
3. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(b) The pastor.
(c) No one.
(d) The kind-hearted bishop.
4. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
(a) Asks Tess to run away with him.
(b) Tells Mr. Crick he is leaving his job.
(c) Asks Tess to marry him.
(d) Pursues one of the other dairymaids.
5. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Kisses Tess.
(b) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
(c) Asks Tess to a dance.
(d) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
6. How old is Tess when she goes to Talbothays?
7. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
(a) He decides to take a walk by the river.
(b) He hires a carriage to drive him home.
(c) He tells his family he's rich.
(d) He goes back to the pub.
8. What does Tess finally decide the relationship between herself and Angel?
(a) That it is fated.
(b) That they should just be friends.
(c) That he isn't worthy of her.
(d) That it will never work.
9. Talbothays is located very close to ______.
(a) The ancestral burial grounds of the D'Urbervilles.
(d) The town of West Clare.
10. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(b) She was coerced into it.
(c) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(d) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
11. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
(a) She is angry that Tess didn't force Alec to marry her.
(b) She tells Tess that it is her own fault.
(c) She doesn't believe Tess.
(d) She is angry at Alec for hurting Tess.
12. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
(a) Avoid him so he will spend time with the others.
(b) Ask him how he feels about them.
(c) Tell him they aren't good enough for him.
(d) Ask him to make a choice.
13. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
(a) She is afraid her mother will be angry if she doesn't contribute to the family's finances.
(b) It is close to home.
(c) She is still feeling guilty about the horse's death and wants to work in the barns.
(d) She wants a fresh start where no one knows about her past.
14. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Tess's mother.
(c) Dairyman Crick.
(d) Mrs. Crick.
15. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
(a) That she will leave the farm.
(b) That she will give her blessing for him to marry one of the other dairymaids.
(c) That she will give her blessing for him to marry Mercy Chant.
(d) That she will reveal the reason she can't marry him on Sunday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
2. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
3. Tess decides to go to Talbothays when she hears about a possible job there. Where is Talbothays located?
4. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
5. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)