|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(b) She can't find another job.
(c) Her mother is angry with her.
(d) She hasn't heard from Alec.
2. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
(a) A flood.
(b) A storm.
(c) A sick cow.
(d) A beautiful meadow.
3. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At church.
(b) Walking home from school.
(c) At a dance on the green.
(d) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
4. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
(a) She doesn't like him at all.
(b) She thinks he is funny-looking.
(c) She is happy to see someone familiar-looking.
(d) She is afraid he might recognize her.
5. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a parson.
(c) He is independently wealthy.
(d) He is a bishop.
6. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
(a) Angel's family is wealthy so he won't need to study for a career.
(b) He can't afford it.
(c) He thinks college is a waste of money.
(d) Angel has rejected religious principles and won't be part of the clergy, so his father thinks he doesn't really need a college education.
7. How does Mr. Crick hear that the butter has a funny taste?
(a) He gets a letter from a customer.
(b) Rhetty tells him.
(c) He reads it in the newspaper.
(d) Someone stops him at the market to tell him.
8. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(b) She takes the train.
(c) Her brother.
(d) A servant.
9. When Angel tells Tess he loves her, and hugs her, she makes an excuse to move out of his embrace. What is her excuse?
(a) That the cow might kick over the milk pail.
(b) That she has been stung by a bee.
(c) That she doesn't feel the same way.
(d) That she doesn't want anyone to see them.
10. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
(a) The Queen of Spades.
(d) Mercy Chant.
11. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
(a) That he tried to convert Alec, and succeeded.
(b) That Angel's brothers are jealous of him.
(c) That he tried to convert Alec, but failed.
(d) That he wants Angel to join the clergy.
12. What does Tess tell Angel in Chapter 30 about her past?
(a) That Alec seduced her.
(b) That she is related to the D'Urbervilles.
(c) That she is already married.
(d) That she has had a baby.
13. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
(c) The Queen of Spades.
(d) The D'Uberville's horsemaster.
14. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
(a) That Mr. Durbeyfield has won a small fortune.
(b) That Mr. Durbeyfield's house is on fire.
(c) That Mr. Durbeyfield is related to the D'Urbervilles.
(d) That he thinks it is going to rain.
15. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
(a) Mr. Talbothay.
(b) Mr. Crick.
(c) No one.
(d) Mr. Clare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
2. Tess takes a job as a ____ to support her baby.
3. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
4. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
5. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)