Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(b) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(c) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(d) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
3. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
(b) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(c) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(d) Tess will like it there.
4. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(b) At a dance on the green.
(c) At church.
(d) Walking home from school.
5. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a parson.
(c) He is independently wealthy.
(d) He is a bishop.
6. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(b) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(c) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(d) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
7. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
(a) It is close to home.
(b) She is afraid her mother will be angry if she doesn't contribute to the family's finances.
(c) She is still feeling guilty about the horse's death and wants to work in the barns.
(d) She wants a fresh start where no one knows about her past.
8. What does Tess determine to do about the fact that the other dairymaids love Angel?
(a) Ask him to make a choice.
(b) Avoid him so he will spend time with the others.
(c) Tell him they aren't good enough for him.
(d) Ask him how he feels about them.
9. Tess decides to go to Talbothays when she hears about a possible job there. Where is Talbothays located?
(a) In Ireland.
(b) About 5 miles from her father's house.
(c) In the Vale of Froom.
(d) On the outskirts of Marlott.
10. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Mrs. Crick.
(b) Tess's mother.
(c) Dairyman Crick.
11. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
(a) That he wants Angel to join the clergy.
(b) That he tried to convert Alec, but failed.
(c) That Angel's brothers are jealous of him.
(d) That he tried to convert Alec, and succeeded.
12. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
(a) Happy, she likes having people envy her.
(b) Guilty, and she thinks she is not good enough for him.
(c) Worried that Angel will like one of them better than her.
(d) Secretly flattered.
13. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
(a) To the pub.
(b) To a dance.
(d) To visit a sick friend.
14. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
(a) It wouldn't be fair to marry him if he doesn't know about her past.
(b) She wants him to leave her alone.
(c) Angel asks her to make a promise.
(d) The other dairymaids urge her to do so.
15. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
(a) The family fortunes have improved.
(b) Her mother is pregnant.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She can't remember what Alec looked like.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
2. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
3. What does Mr. Crick think made the butter taste unpleasant?
4. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
5. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)