|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
(a) She is afraid he might recognize her.
(b) She doesn't like him at all.
(c) She is happy to see someone familiar-looking.
(d) She thinks he is funny-looking.
2. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) She is far away from Marlott.
(b) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
(c) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
(d) She is falling in love with Angel.
3. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
4. In Chapter 29 who tells a story that influences Tess greatly?
(a) Dairyman Crick.
(c) Mrs. Crick.
(d) Tess's mother.
5. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
(a) To the pub.
(b) To a dance.
(c) To visit a sick friend.
6. Who meets Tess and shows her around Tantridge?
(b) Alec D'Uberville.
(c) The milkmaids.
(d) Her elderly aunt.
7. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
(a) He offers to marry her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He pretends he doesn't know what she is talking about.
(d) He offers her money.
8. In Chapter 25 Angel decides to go back to his parents' home. Why?
(a) To get away from Tess.
(b) Because his father is ill.
(c) To join the clergy.
(d) To ask their opinion about his desire to marry Tess.
9. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That he will take care of her.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
(d) That he wants to be a doctor.
10. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
(a) She has to make the beds.
(b) She has to take the milk to market.
(c) She has to wake up the other dairymaids at 3 a.m.
(d) She has to make sure the cows don't escape.
11. At dinnertime, Angel is seated at a different table than the other dairy workers because ______.
(a) He has a contagious disease.
(b) The dairyman's wife is afraid he will corrupt the dairymaids.
(c) He likes to read while he eats dinner.
(d) He is of a higher class.
12. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
(b) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(c) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(d) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
13. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
(a) Angel asks her to make a promise.
(b) She wants him to leave her alone.
(c) The other dairymaids urge her to do so.
(d) It wouldn't be fair to marry him if he doesn't know about her past.
14. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(b) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
(c) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(d) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
15. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
(b) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(c) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(d) She was coerced into it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
2. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
3. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
4. What does Tess finally decide the relationship between herself and Angel?
5. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)