|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
(a) Like any other servant.
(b) With friendship.
(c) Like a long-lost relative.
(d) She is made welcome.
2. Who does Tess overhear talking about Angel?
(a) Mr. Crick.
(b) Mrs. Crick.
(c) An unhappy customer.
(d) Marian, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
3. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
(a) He seduces her.
(b) He holds her hand.
(c) He wakes her up so they can go home.
(d) He watches her sleep.
4. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
(a) He tells his family he's rich.
(b) He decides to take a walk by the river.
(c) He hires a carriage to drive him home.
(d) He goes back to the pub.
5. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
(a) Neither one of them likes cows.
(b) They both have religious parents.
(c) They both enjoy music.
(d) They are both disillusioned with the world.
6. Angel's two brothers are named Cuthert and ____?
7. Tess takes a job as a ____ to support her baby.
(d) Dairy maid.
8. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
(a) A sick cow.
(b) A storm.
(c) A flood.
(d) A beautiful meadow.
9. Talbothays is located very close to ______.
(a) The town of West Clare.
(d) The ancestral burial grounds of the D'Urbervilles.
10. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
(a) That she will remain at Talbothays as long as they do.
(b) Not to tell anyone about Alec.
(c) Not to marry Angel.
(d) That she will never lie to them.
11. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(b) The kind-hearted bishop.
(c) The pastor.
(d) No one.
12. Who does Angel's family want him to marry?
(a) The Queen of Spades.
(b) Mercy Chant.
13. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
(a) Carries the dairy maids across the flooded water.
(b) Asks Tess to a dance.
(c) Kisses Tess.
(d) Tells Tess he likes her but could never marry her.
14. When her parents do not return from the pub, who does Tess send after them to bring them home?
15. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
(a) Almost four years.
(b) Between two and three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Eighteen months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel's father tell him on the walk out of town?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
3. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
4. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
5. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)