|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 57.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
(a) Pay for her brother's schooling.
(b) Repair the outhouse roof.
(c) Buy more goats and chickens.
(d) Repair the cottage roof.
2. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
(b) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(c) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(d) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
3. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
(b) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
(c) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(d) Ignores her at a dance.
4. While the family is camping out of doors after they've left Marlott, Alec notices that Tess is not there. He goes in search of her and finds her where?
(a) In the field behind the burial grounds.
(b) In the church looking at the tombs of her ancestors.
(c) In the church praying.
(d) Looking at the carriage, to see if she can discover why it is an ill omen.
5. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) The police officer.
(b) The dark-haired milkmaid.
(c) The Queen of Spades.
(d) Angel's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess asks Angel if he thinks they will be together again after death. How does he respond?
2. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
3. Angel receives another letter, written anonymously by whom?
4. What does Tess find out from Marian?
5. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)