|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 57.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tess learn is responsible for the change in Alec?
(a) The parson from Marlott.
(b) No one, Alec has not changed.
(c) Her own father.
(d) Mercy Chant.
2. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
(a) That he is color blind.
(b) That he had an affair with a woman in London.
(c) That he seduced Rhetty before Tess came to the dairy.
(d) That he knows about her relationship with Alec.
3. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
(a) She is far away from Marlott.
(b) She likes working for Mr. Crick.
(c) She is falling in love with Angel.
(d) No one knows about her past so she feels renewed.
4. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
(a) She is angry that Tess didn't force Alec to marry her.
(b) She is angry at Alec for hurting Tess.
(c) She tells Tess that it is her own fault.
(d) She doesn't believe Tess.
5. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(b) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
(c) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(d) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel ask of the men who have come for Tess?
2. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
3. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
4. How does Mr. Crick hear that the butter has a funny taste?
5. What does Angel buy for Tess, in Chapter 32?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)