|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 57.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At dinnertime, Angel is seated at a different table than the other dairy workers because ______.
(a) He is of a higher class.
(b) The dairyman's wife is afraid he will corrupt the dairymaids.
(c) He has a contagious disease.
(d) He likes to read while he eats dinner.
2. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
(b) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
(d) Mr. Crick.
3. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
(a) He thinks she loves him.
(b) He wants to right the wrong he did.
(c) He wants to protect her from Angel.
(d) He wants to convert her to Christianity.
4. How long do Tess and Angel spend at the first place they take shelter?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) One night.
(c) Five days.
(d) Two days.
5. At the post office Angel learns something about Tess that pleases him. What?
(a) That she is going under the name Mrs. D'Urberville.
(b) That she is waiting for him at The Herons.
(c) That she has left him a message with the post mistress.
(d) That she is going under the name Mrs. Clare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
2. Tess's parents ask Tess for money. What is the reason they give for needing the money?
3. Angel and Tess set their wedding date for ____.
4. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
5. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)