|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 47 | Chapter 48.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
(a) It is close to home.
(b) She is still feeling guilty about the horse's death and wants to work in the barns.
(c) She wants a fresh start where no one knows about her past.
(d) She is afraid her mother will be angry if she doesn't contribute to the family's finances.
2. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
(a) She wants him to leave her alone.
(b) It wouldn't be fair to marry him if he doesn't know about her past.
(c) The other dairymaids urge her to do so.
(d) Angel asks her to make a promise.
3. How does Marian react to the marriage?
(a) She gets drunk.
(b) Quits her job and leaves the farm.
(c) She refuses to speak to Tess.
(d) She tries to drown herself.
4. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
(a) That her mother is dying.
(b) That her mother is dead.
(c) That her father has been imprisoned for drunkenness.
(d) That her father is dying.
5. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(a) No one.
(b) The pastor.
(c) The kind-hearted bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tess and Angel part, and Angel returns home, his parents are curious because Tess is not with him. Angel tells his parents that he doesn't want them to meet Tess yet because she is _____.
2. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
3. What does Mr. Crick think made the butter taste unpleasant?
4. Tess discovers that the Queen of Spades also works at the farm. What other name is she known by?
5. In the story that is recounted in Chapter 29, who is the main male character?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)