|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 47 | Chapter 48.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seeing Angel's reaction to her confession, Tess offers to ____.
(a) Drown herself.
(b) Have the marriage annulled.
(d) Never speak of the matter again.
2. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
(a) He thinks college is a waste of money.
(b) Angel's family is wealthy so he won't need to study for a career.
(c) He can't afford it.
(d) Angel has rejected religious principles and won't be part of the clergy, so his father thinks he doesn't really need a college education.
3. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
(a) That Mr. Durbeyfield's house is on fire.
(b) That he thinks it is going to rain.
(c) That Mr. Durbeyfield has won a small fortune.
(d) That Mr. Durbeyfield is related to the D'Urbervilles.
4. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That he will take care of her.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he wants to be a doctor.
(d) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
5. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
(a) She is angry at Alec for hurting Tess.
(b) She tells Tess that it is her own fault.
(c) She doesn't believe Tess.
(d) She is angry that Tess didn't force Alec to marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
2. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
3. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
4. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
5. When Angel tells Tess he loves her, and hugs her, she makes an excuse to move out of his embrace. What is her excuse?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)