|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 47 | Chapter 48.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
(a) That she will reveal the reason she can't marry him on Sunday.
(b) That she will give her blessing for him to marry Mercy Chant.
(c) That she will leave the farm.
(d) That she will give her blessing for him to marry one of the other dairymaids.
2. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(b) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(c) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(d) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
3. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) He is used to getting his own way.
(b) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(c) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
(d) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
4. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
(a) Between two and three years.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Almost four years.
5. When her parents do not return from the pub, who does Tess send after them to bring them home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Angel and his father do at the end of their talk?
2. In Chapter 23, what do Tess and the other dairymaids encounter on the way to church?
3. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
4. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
5. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)