|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
(a) She is angry at Alec for hurting Tess.
(b) She is angry that Tess didn't force Alec to marry her.
(c) She tells Tess that it is her own fault.
(d) She doesn't believe Tess.
2. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(b) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
(c) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(d) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
3. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
(a) Angel asks her to make a promise.
(b) It wouldn't be fair to marry him if he doesn't know about her past.
(c) The other dairymaids urge her to do so.
(d) She wants him to leave her alone.
4. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
(a) The man is drunk and knocks Tess down.
(b) The man makes a pass at Tess.
(c) The man recognizes Tess and questions her virtue.
(d) The man is an old enemy of Angel's father.
5. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
(a) There is a ghost in the carriage.
(b) One of the cows miscarries.
(d) A rooster crows in the afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
2. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
3. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
4. How does Angel react when Tess tells him about her past?
5. Angel accompanies Tess part of the way home to Marlott. When they are parting at the crossroads near Marlott, what does Angel do?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)