|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
(b) He is used to getting his own way.
(c) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(d) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
2. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
(a) He is independently wealthy.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is a bishop.
(d) He is a parson.
3. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) Angel's brother.
(b) The police officer.
(c) The dark-haired milkmaid.
(d) The Queen of Spades.
4. Alec prepares a surprise for Tess for after their marriage. What?
(a) That he has bought a new house.
(b) That they will honeymoon at a property owned by the D'Urbervilles.
(c) That they will honeymoon at his parents' house.
(d) That he has contacted the D'Urbervilles on her behalf.
5. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
(a) He can't afford it.
(b) He thinks college is a waste of money.
(c) Angel's family is wealthy so he won't need to study for a career.
(d) Angel has rejected religious principles and won't be part of the clergy, so his father thinks he doesn't really need a college education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Angel finally confess his love for Tess?
2. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
3. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
4. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
5. What do Angel and his father do at the end of their talk?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)