|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39 | Chapter 40.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(b) No one.
(c) The pastor.
(d) The kind-hearted bishop.
2. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
(a) That she will give her blessing for him to marry one of the other dairymaids.
(b) That she will leave the farm.
(c) That she will reveal the reason she can't marry him on Sunday.
(d) That she will give her blessing for him to marry Mercy Chant.
3. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a dance on the green.
(b) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(c) At church.
(d) Walking home from school.
4. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
(b) He is used to getting his own way.
(c) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(d) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
5. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
(a) Alec's mother.
(c) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
2. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
3. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
4. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
5. What kind of work does Tess do at Talbothays?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)