|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
(a) She thinks Tess is going to hit her.
(b) She wants Alec to stick up for her.
(c) She doesn't like strangers and wants Tess to leave.
(d) She is one of Alec's former conquests and is jealous of Tess.
2. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(b) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
(c) Tess will like it there.
(d) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
3. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
(a) She is afraid he might recognize her.
(b) She doesn't like him at all.
(c) She is happy to see someone familiar-looking.
(d) She thinks he is funny-looking.
4. While the dairy maids are out in the pasture searching for noxious weeds, Tess feels faint. What does Mr. Crick tell her?
(a) To have a drink of water.
(b) To carry on walking, and it will pass.
(c) To sit down and rest for awhile.
(d) To go back to the farm and lie down until she feels better.
5. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
(a) Mr. Clare.
(b) Mr. Talbothay.
(c) No one.
(d) Mr. Crick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
2. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
3. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
4. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
5. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)