|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
(b) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
(c) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
(d) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
2. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(b) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(c) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(d) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
3. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) Tess distrusts him.
(b) She thinks he is too snobbish.
(c) She is attracted to him.
(d) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
4. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
(b) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
(c) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
(d) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
5. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(a) No one.
(b) The kind-hearted bishop.
(d) The pastor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Tess decide to do after she's been at the D'Urberville mansion for a few weeks?
2. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
3. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
4. At dinnertime, Angel is seated at a different table than the other dairy workers because ______.
5. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)