|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That he wants to be a doctor.
(b) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
(c) That he loves her.
(d) That he will take care of her.
2. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
(a) Alec's mother.
(b) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
3. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) She hasn't heard from Alec.
(b) She can't find another job.
(c) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(d) Her mother is angry with her.
4. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
(b) Nervous but happy.
(c) Reluctant and uneasy.
5. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
(a) Her sister is crying.
(b) She has to take the bee hives to market in another town.
(c) She's worried about the family's finances and can't sleep.
(d) She had a bad dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
2. What kind of work does Tess do at Talbothays?
3. What is Tess's mother's response when she hears about the sexual encounter between Tess and Alec?
4. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
5. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)