|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
(a) The Queen of Spades.
(b) The D'Uberville's horsemaster.
2. How does Tess feel when she learns that the other dairymaids are in love with Angel, too?
(a) Happy, she likes having people envy her.
(b) Worried that Angel will like one of them better than her.
(c) Guilty, and she thinks she is not good enough for him.
(d) Secretly flattered.
3. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) The dark-haired milkmaid.
(b) The Queen of Spades.
(c) Angel's brother.
(d) The police officer.
4. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) She thinks he won't believe her.
(b) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
(c) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
(d) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
5. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
(a) Troilus and Cressida.
(b) Adam and Eve.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Helen of Troy and Agamemnon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
2. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
3. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
4. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
5. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)