|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) The Queen of Spades.
(b) The police officer.
(c) Angel's brother.
(d) The dark-haired milkmaid.
2. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
(a) She thinks she shouldn't have taken the horse out in the dark.
(b) She caused the accident that resulted in the horse being killed.
(c) Her father tells her it is her fault.
(d) She thinks if she hadn't fallen asleep, she could have prevented the accident.
3. In Chapter 11, what does Alec tell Tess on the way home?
(a) That he will take care of her.
(b) That he wants to be a doctor.
(c) That he loves her.
(d) That she shouldn't get into any fights.
4. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
(b) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
(c) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
(d) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
5. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
(a) Her brother.
(c) She takes the train.
(d) A servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Angel first see Tess?
2. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
3. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
4. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
5. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)