|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
(b) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(c) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
(d) Ignores her at a dance.
2. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
(a) Sends her sister to find them.
(b) Locks the other children in the cottage and goes to fetch her parents.
(c) Asks a neighbor to go get them.
(d) Goes to sleep.
3. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
(a) To a dance.
(c) To the pub.
(d) To visit a sick friend.
4. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
(a) He seduces her.
(b) He holds her hand.
(c) He wakes her up so they can go home.
(d) He watches her sleep.
5. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(b) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(c) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(d) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tess react to what Alec tells her?
2. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
3. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
4. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
5. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)