|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(b) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(c) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
(d) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
2. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
(b) Alec's mother.
(d) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
3. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
(b) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(c) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
(d) Ignores her at a dance.
4. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
(b) Alec forces her to kiss him.
(c) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
(d) She misses her family.
5. When Tess falls asleep in the leaves, what does Alec do?
(a) He holds her hand.
(b) He seduces her.
(c) He wakes her up so they can go home.
(d) He watches her sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Angel first see Tess?
2. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
3. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
4. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
5. In Chapter 12, what does Tess decide to do after she's been at the D'Urberville mansion for a few weeks?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)