|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
(a) Sir James.
(b) Mr. Durbeyfield.
(c) Mr. D.
(d) Sir John.
2. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) She hasn't heard from Alec.
(b) Her mother is angry with her.
(c) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(d) She can't find another job.
3. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) Alec forces her to kiss him.
(b) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
(c) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
(d) She misses her family.
4. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) Angel's brother.
(b) The police officer.
(c) The Queen of Spades.
(d) The dark-haired milkmaid.
5. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(b) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(c) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(d) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Angel first see Tess?
2. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
3. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
4. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
5. What does Tess name her baby?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)