|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(b) No one.
(c) The pastor.
(d) The kind-hearted bishop.
2. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(b) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(c) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(d) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
3. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(b) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
(c) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(d) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
4. How does Alec react when Tess tells him how she feels about what has happened between them?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He offers to marry her.
(c) He offers her money.
(d) He pretends he doesn't know what she is talking about.
5. Who meets Tess and shows her around Tantridge?
(a) The milkmaids.
(b) Her elderly aunt.
(c) Alec D'Uberville.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
2. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
3. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
4. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
5. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)