|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) Tess distrusts him.
(b) She thinks he is too snobbish.
(c) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
(d) She is attracted to him.
2. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(b) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(c) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(d) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
3. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
(a) Sad, she will miss Tess.
(b) Happy, the family will have more money.
(c) Worried about Alec's intentions.
(d) Regretful, she thinks she pressured Tess.
4. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
(b) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
(c) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
(d) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
5. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
(b) Nervous but happy.
(d) Reluctant and uneasy.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
2. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
3. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
4. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
5. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)