|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(b) Tess will like it there.
(c) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
(d) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
2. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
(b) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(c) Ignores her at a dance.
(d) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
3. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
(a) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
(d) Alec's mother.
4. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
(a) Sir James.
(b) Mr. D.
(c) Mr. Durbeyfield.
(d) Sir John.
5. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
(a) She had a bad dream.
(b) She's worried about the family's finances and can't sleep.
(c) Her sister is crying.
(d) She has to take the bee hives to market in another town.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
2. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
3. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
4. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
5. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)