|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
(a) Worried about Alec's intentions.
(b) Regretful, she thinks she pressured Tess.
(c) Happy, the family will have more money.
(d) Sad, she will miss Tess.
2. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
(b) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
(c) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
(d) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
3. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
(a) She had a bad dream.
(b) She's worried about the family's finances and can't sleep.
(c) She has to take the bee hives to market in another town.
(d) Her sister is crying.
4. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
(b) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
(c) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
(d) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
5. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
(a) He wants to see if Tess is watching him.
(b) He has to go catch up with his brother.
(c) He is too shy.
(d) He thinks she is busy talking to someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
2. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
3. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
5. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)