|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
(a) He decides to take a walk by the river.
(b) He tells his family he's rich.
(c) He hires a carriage to drive him home.
(d) He goes back to the pub.
2. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At church.
(b) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(c) At a dance on the green.
(d) Walking home from school.
3. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
(a) He thinks she is busy talking to someone else.
(b) He has to go catch up with his brother.
(c) He is too shy.
(d) He wants to see if Tess is watching him.
4. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) Alec forces her to kiss him.
(b) She misses her family.
(c) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
(d) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
5. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
(b) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
(c) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
(d) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
2. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
3. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
4. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
5. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)