|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
(b) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
(c) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
(d) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
2. Who meets Tess and shows her around Tantridge?
(a) Her elderly aunt.
(b) Alec D'Uberville.
(d) The milkmaids.
3. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
(a) She thinks if she hadn't fallen asleep, she could have prevented the accident.
(b) She thinks she shouldn't have taken the horse out in the dark.
(c) She caused the accident that resulted in the horse being killed.
(d) Her father tells her it is her fault.
4. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(b) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(c) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(d) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
5. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
(a) He is too shy.
(b) He thinks she is busy talking to someone else.
(c) He wants to see if Tess is watching him.
(d) He has to go catch up with his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Angel first see Tess?
2. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
3. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
4. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
5. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)