|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
(b) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(c) Ignores her at a dance.
(d) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(b) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
(c) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(d) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
3. Who meets Tess and shows her around Tantridge?
(a) Her elderly aunt.
(b) The milkmaids.
(d) Alec D'Uberville.
4. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
(b) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(c) He thinks she is pretty.
(d) He thinks he should find his brother.
5. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(b) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(c) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(d) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
2. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
3. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
4. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
5. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)