|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
(b) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
(c) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(d) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
2. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
(a) She thinks if she hadn't fallen asleep, she could have prevented the accident.
(b) She thinks she shouldn't have taken the horse out in the dark.
(c) She caused the accident that resulted in the horse being killed.
(d) Her father tells her it is her fault.
3. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) Alec forces her to kiss him.
(b) She misses her family.
(c) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
(d) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
4. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
(a) She wants Alec to stick up for her.
(b) She thinks Tess is going to hit her.
(c) She is one of Alec's former conquests and is jealous of Tess.
(d) She doesn't like strangers and wants Tess to leave.
5. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) The Queen of Spades.
(b) Angel's brother.
(c) The police officer.
(d) The dark-haired milkmaid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
2. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
3. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
4. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
5. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)