|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
(a) Alec's mother.
(b) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
2. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
(b) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
(c) He thinks she is pretty.
(d) He thinks he should find his brother.
3. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(b) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(c) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(d) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
4. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
(a) She will go if she can have new clothes so she will fit in.
(b) She agrees to go if her mother forgives her for her role in the horse's death.
(c) She will ask if she can work for them, but she won't ask them for money.
(d) She will go if she can take Abraham with her.
5. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
(a) He decides to take a walk by the river.
(b) He goes back to the pub.
(c) He tells his family he's rich.
(d) He hires a carriage to drive him home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess receives an offer of work at Tantridge taking care of the _____.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
3. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
4. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
5. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)