|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
(a) Like any other servant.
(b) With friendship.
(c) Like a long-lost relative.
(d) She is made welcome.
2. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
(b) Ignores her at a dance.
(c) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(d) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
3. When Angel looks back and sees Tess from the top of the hill, what does he think?
(a) He thinks she is pretty.
(b) He thinks he should find his brother.
(c) He thinks that he has hurt her feelings.
(d) He thinks he is going to be late getting home.
4. Tess believes she is related to the D'Urbervilles at Tantridge by family ties. What kind of family ties exist between them?
(a) None, they have changed their name to hide how they became rich.
(b) She and the D'Urbervilles are third cousins by marriage.
(c) Her father's brother married Alec's cousin.
(d) She and Alec share the same great-grandmother.
5. Why does Tess blame herself for the death of the horse?
(a) Her father tells her it is her fault.
(b) She caused the accident that resulted in the horse being killed.
(c) She thinks if she hadn't fallen asleep, she could have prevented the accident.
(d) She thinks she shouldn't have taken the horse out in the dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
2. Who actually sent the letter inviting Tess to work at Tantridge?
3. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
4. What is Tess's reaction to the job offer at Tantridge?
5. What conditions does Tess place on her agreement to go live with the D'Urbervilles in Tantridge?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)