|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 49 | Chapter 50.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angel tells Tess he loves her, and hugs her, she makes an excuse to move out of his embrace. What is her excuse?
(a) That she doesn't want anyone to see them.
(b) That she has been stung by a bee.
(c) That the cow might kick over the milk pail.
(d) That she doesn't feel the same way.
2. In Chapter 49, who does Tess learn has died?
(a) Mr. Crick.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
3. What does Tess learn from the person who visits her at the farm in Chapter 48?
(a) That her mother is dying.
(b) That her mother is dead.
(c) That her father has been imprisoned for drunkenness.
(d) That her father is dying.
4. In the morning, after the scene in the graveyard, Tess and Angel travel to _____.
(a) His parents' home.
5. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
(a) To the pub.
(b) To a dance.
(d) To visit a sick friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tess decide to do as a result of what she learns from the visitor to the farm?
2. When her parents do not return from the pub, who does Tess send after them to bring them home?
3. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
4. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
5. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)