|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 49 | Chapter 50.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At dinnertime, Angel is seated at a different table than the other dairy workers because ______.
(a) He has a contagious disease.
(b) He likes to read while he eats dinner.
(c) He is of a higher class.
(d) The dairyman's wife is afraid he will corrupt the dairymaids.
2. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
(c) Mr. Crick.
(d) Mrs. Durbeyfield.
3. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
(a) Plays the harp so she will feel happier about working.
(b) Carries the milk pails for her.
(c) Pays someone to do some of her chores.
(d) Makes sure the cows she has to milk are the most good-natured ones.
4. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
(a) She thinks Tess is going to hit her.
(b) She wants Alec to stick up for her.
(c) She doesn't like strangers and wants Tess to leave.
(d) She is one of Alec's former conquests and is jealous of Tess.
5. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
(a) Her father thinks it's her fault.
(b) The child has not been baptized.
(c) She can't afford a doctor.
(d) She thinks she is a bad mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
2. Alec tells Tess of a bad omen. What?
3. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
4. When Angel encounters the dairymaids trying to cross the river on the way to church, what does he do?
5. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)