|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 49 | Chapter 50.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
(b) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
(c) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
(d) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
2. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
(a) To a dance.
(b) To the pub.
(c) To visit a sick friend.
3. In Chapter 38 Tess tells her mother that ______.
(a) She is going to join Angel once he's found a farm for them to live on.
(b) Angel found out about Alec, but not from her.
(c) Angel found out about Alec, but forgave her for her past.
(d) Alec contacted her, and she is going to work for his mother.
4. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
(b) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
(c) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
(d) She thinks he won't believe her.
5. When Tess hears that Angel asked someone to accompany him to Brazil, she decides to make a journey. Where does she set off for, and why?
(a) To Angel's parents' house to ask for money.
(b) To Angel's parents' house to ask for news of him.
(c) To her parents' house to make sure they are all well.
(d) To see her parents and tell them she and Angel are separated.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Angel tells Tess he loves her, and hugs her, she makes an excuse to move out of his embrace. What is her excuse?
2. While Tess is traveling through the woods on the journey she takes after learning that Angel asked someone else to go to Brazil with him, what does she find lying on the ground?
3. Who does Angel meet at the D'Uberville manor house?
4. In Chapter 40, who says "nobody could love 'ee more than Tess did! . . . She would have laid down her life for 'ee."
5. Angel accompanies Tess part of the way home to Marlott. When they are parting at the crossroads near Marlott, what does Angel do?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)