|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) She hasn't heard from Alec.
(b) She can't find another job.
(c) Her mother is angry with her.
(d) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
2. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
(a) Worried about Alec's intentions.
(b) Sad, she will miss Tess.
(c) Happy, the family will have more money.
(d) Regretful, she thinks she pressured Tess.
3. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(b) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(c) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
(d) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
4. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(b) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(c) Tess will like it there.
(d) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
5. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
(a) She can't remember what Alec looked like.
(b) The family fortunes have improved.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) Her mother is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
2. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
3. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
4. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
5. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)