|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) Her mother is angry with her.
(b) She can't find another job.
(c) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(d) She hasn't heard from Alec.
2. Who eventually baptizes the child?
(a) No one.
(b) The kind-hearted bishop.
(c) The pastor.
3. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(b) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(c) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(d) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
4. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
(a) Angel's family is wealthy so he won't need to study for a career.
(b) Angel has rejected religious principles and won't be part of the clergy, so his father thinks he doesn't really need a college education.
(c) He can't afford it.
(d) He thinks college is a waste of money.
5. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) Tess distrusts him.
(b) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
(c) She is attracted to him.
(d) She thinks he is too snobbish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tess takes a job as a ____ to support her baby.
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
3. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
4. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
5. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)