|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(b) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(c) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(d) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
2. At dinnertime, Angel is seated at a different table than the other dairy workers because ______.
(a) He is of a higher class.
(b) The dairyman's wife is afraid he will corrupt the dairymaids.
(c) He has a contagious disease.
(d) He likes to read while he eats dinner.
3. What does Tess name her baby?
4. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) She thinks he is too snobbish.
(b) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
(c) Tess distrusts him.
(d) She is attracted to him.
5. When her parents still don't come home, what does Tess finally do?
(a) Locks the other children in the cottage and goes to fetch her parents.
(b) Goes to sleep.
(c) Sends her sister to find them.
(d) Asks a neighbor to go get them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
2. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
3. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
4. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
5. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)