|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angel's father refused to send him to college. Why?
(a) Angel's family is wealthy so he won't need to study for a career.
(b) He can't afford it.
(c) Angel has rejected religious principles and won't be part of the clergy, so his father thinks he doesn't really need a college education.
(d) He thinks college is a waste of money.
2. At Talbothays Tess meets Angel - what does Angel's father do for a living?
(a) He is a bishop.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is a parson.
(d) He is independently wealthy.
3. How does Tess feel about Alec in Chapter 9?
(a) She likes him but he makes her nervous.
(b) Tess distrusts him.
(c) She thinks he is too snobbish.
(d) She is attracted to him.
4. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
(a) She can't remember what Alec looked like.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) Her mother is pregnant.
(d) The family fortunes have improved.
5. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) She misses her family.
(b) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
(c) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
(d) Alec forces her to kiss him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Tess is left in charge of all the younger children. Where have her parents gone?
2. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
3. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
4. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
5. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)