|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
(c) The D'Uberville's horsemaster.
(d) The Queen of Spades.
2. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
(b) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
(c) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
(d) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
3. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
(a) Like a long-lost relative.
(b) Like any other servant.
(c) She is made welcome.
(d) With friendship.
4. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
(a) Tells her she is not whistling loud enough.
(b) Hides behind the curtains and spies on her.
(c) Ignores her at a dance.
(d) Tells his mother she is not working hard enough.
5. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) She hasn't heard from Alec.
(b) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(c) Her mother is angry with her.
(d) She can't find another job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
3. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
4. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
5. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)