|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(b) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(c) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(d) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
2. Who comes along just as a fight is about to break out between Tess and another woman?
(a) The Queen of Spades.
(b) The D'Uberville's horsemaster.
3. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) Her mother is angry with her.
(b) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(c) She can't find another job.
(d) She hasn't heard from Alec.
4. What plan does Tess's mother come up with to help the family?
(a) She plans to send Tess to live with a member of the D'Uberville family in another town.
(b) She plans to find more work so that she can earn money.
(c) She plans to enlarge the bee hives so they will bring in more cash.
(d) She plans to get her husband to stop drinking so much.
5. What does Tess name her baby?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the character who picks on Tess do so?
2. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
3. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
4. At Talbothays,Tess shares sleeping quarters with ____, Izz Rhuett, and Rhetty.
5. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)