|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(b) She can't find another job.
(c) Her mother is angry with her.
(d) She hasn't heard from Alec.
2. Which character, introduced in Chapter 10, picks on Tess?
(a) The police officer.
(b) The dark-haired milkmaid.
(c) Angel's brother.
(d) The Queen of Spades.
3. At Talbothays, Tess is supervised by ______.
(a) Mr. Talbothay.
(b) No one.
(c) Mr. Clare.
(d) Mr. Crick.
4. When Tess is introduced to Mrs. D'Urberville, how is she treated?
(a) She is made welcome.
(b) With friendship.
(c) Like a long-lost relative.
(d) Like any other servant.
5. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(b) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(c) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(d) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tess first sees Angel, what is her reaction?
2. Why does Tess wake up at 2 a.m.?
3. What does Alec do in Chapter 9 that Tess doesn't like?
4. Tess takes a job as a ____ to support her baby.
5. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)