|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(b) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
(c) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(d) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
2. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She was coerced into it.
(b) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
(c) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(d) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
3. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
(a) That she will never lie to them.
(b) Not to marry Angel.
(c) Not to tell anyone about Alec.
(d) That she will remain at Talbothays as long as they do.
4. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(b) She can't find another job.
(c) She hasn't heard from Alec.
(d) Her mother is angry with her.
5. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) The family fortunes have improved.
(c) She can't remember what Alec looked like.
(d) Her mother is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
2. Tess takes a job as a ____ to support her baby.
3. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
4. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
5. Who eventually baptizes the child?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)