|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
(a) Not to marry Angel.
(b) Not to tell anyone about Alec.
(c) That she will remain at Talbothays as long as they do.
(d) That she will never lie to them.
2. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
(a) Regretful, she thinks she pressured Tess.
(b) Worried about Alec's intentions.
(c) Sad, she will miss Tess.
(d) Happy, the family will have more money.
3. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
(a) That she will reveal the reason she can't marry him on Sunday.
(b) That she will give her blessing for him to marry Mercy Chant.
(c) That she will leave the farm.
(d) That she will give her blessing for him to marry one of the other dairymaids.
4. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(b) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
(c) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(d) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
5. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
(b) Alec forces her to kiss him.
(c) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
(d) She misses her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
2. What does Tess name her baby?
3. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
4. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
5. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)