|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She was coerced into it.
(b) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(c) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
(d) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
2. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
(b) A rooster crows in the afternoon.
(c) One of the cows miscarries.
(d) There is a ghost in the carriage.
3. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(b) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(c) Tess will like it there.
(d) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
4. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) She thinks he won't believe her.
(b) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
(c) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
(d) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
5. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
(a) She believes no gentleman will ever marry her because she has been 'ruined'.
(b) She can't find another job.
(c) Her mother is angry with her.
(d) She hasn't heard from Alec.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
2. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
3. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
4. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)