|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
(b) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
(c) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
(d) She thinks he won't believe her.
2. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
(a) That he is color blind.
(b) That he seduced Rhetty before Tess came to the dairy.
(c) That he knows about her relationship with Alec.
(d) That he had an affair with a woman in London.
3. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(b) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(c) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(d) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
4. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(b) She was coerced into it.
(c) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(d) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
5. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
(b) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(c) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
(d) He is used to getting his own way.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
2. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
3. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
4. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
5. When Tess's baby becomes ill, she is upset because ______.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)