|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Tess discover?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) The family fortunes have improved.
(c) Her mother is pregnant.
(d) She can't remember what Alec looked like.
2. What motivates Tess to make a promise to Angel?
(a) Angel asks her to make a promise.
(b) It wouldn't be fair to marry him if he doesn't know about her past.
(c) The other dairymaids urge her to do so.
(d) She wants him to leave her alone.
3. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(b) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
(c) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(d) She was coerced into it.
4. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
(a) Asks Tess to marry him.
(b) Tells Mr. Crick he is leaving his job.
(c) Asks Tess to run away with him.
(d) Pursues one of the other dairymaids.
5. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
(a) There is a ghost in the carriage.
(b) A rooster crows in the afternoon.
(c) One of the cows miscarries.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marian react to the marriage?
2. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
3. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
4. Tess takes a job as a ____ to support her baby.
5. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)