|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(b) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(c) Tess will like it there.
(d) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
2. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
(b) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
(c) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
(d) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
3. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She was coerced into it.
(b) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(c) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(d) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
4. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) Alec forces her to kiss him.
(b) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
(c) She misses her family.
(d) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
5. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
(a) Neither one of them likes cows.
(b) They are both disillusioned with the world.
(c) They both have religious parents.
(d) They both enjoy music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Tess's duties at the farm?
2. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
3. In Chapter 27 what does Angel do on his return to Talbothays?
4. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
5. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)