|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the trip to Tantridge, Tess considers returning home. Why?
(a) She doesn't want to work in a strange place.
(b) She is afraid of meeting the D'Urbervilles.
(c) Alec forces her to kiss him.
(d) She misses her family.
2. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
(a) The man is drunk and knocks Tess down.
(b) The man makes a pass at Tess.
(c) The man recognizes Tess and questions her virtue.
(d) The man is an old enemy of Angel's father.
3. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
(a) Now that he's told his parents about Tess, he will be embarrassed if she doesn't marry him.
(b) He is used to getting his own way.
(c) The other dairymaids tell him Tess is just playing hard to get.
(d) He thinks she is refusing because of the difference in class between them.
4. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(b) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(c) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(d) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
5. Tess takes a job as a ____ to support her baby.
(a) Dairy maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
2. Tess appears to lose hope in Chapter 13. Why?
3. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
4. What gift does Tess receive from Angel's parents?
5. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)