|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
(b) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
(c) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
(d) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
2. How does Marian react to the marriage?
(a) Quits her job and leaves the farm.
(b) She refuses to speak to Tess.
(c) She gets drunk.
(d) She tries to drown herself.
3. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
(a) She wanted to gain the other dairymaids' trust.
(b) She wants to avoid having them be jealous of her.
(c) She believes she is too lowly and impure to marry.
(d) She was coerced into it.
4. Angel is persistent in asking Tess why she will not marry him. What does Tess finally promise him?
(a) That she will give her blessing for him to marry Mercy Chant.
(b) That she will reveal the reason she can't marry him on Sunday.
(c) That she will give her blessing for him to marry one of the other dairymaids.
(d) That she will leave the farm.
5. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
(a) Tess will like it there.
(b) She will save her money and help the family financially.
(c) Tess will get along well with the D'Urbervilles and they will like her.
(d) Her beauty will impress Alec and he will marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
2. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
3. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
4. After their marriage, Angel makes a confession about his own past, and an incident that happened in London. What does he confess?
5. While Tess is at Talbothays, she is quite happy. What causes her happiness?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)