|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marian react to the marriage?
(a) She gets drunk.
(b) She refuses to speak to Tess.
(c) Quits her job and leaves the farm.
(d) She tries to drown herself.
2. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
(a) Happy, the family will have more money.
(b) Regretful, she thinks she pressured Tess.
(c) Worried about Alec's intentions.
(d) Sad, she will miss Tess.
3. Why does Tess decide not to return home from Tantridge after all?
(a) She decides that she should just go and see what it's like before she makes a decision.
(b) She realizes she is simply nervous about the new situation.
(c) She is afraid her mother and father will be angry if she goes home.
(d) She needs the work so she can contribute to her family's finances.
4. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
(b) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(c) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(d) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
5. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
(b) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
(c) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(d) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angel hit another man in Chapter 33?
2. What does Tess's mother hope will happen once Tess arrives at Tantridge?
3. Hardy's description of Tess and Angel likens them to ___.
4. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
5. Angel tries to help Tess out with her chores. What does he do?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)