|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 33 | Chapter 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tess considers telling Angel about her link with the D'Urbervilles, but decides against it. Why?
(a) Mr. Crick tells her Angel has scorn for old noble families.
(b) She isn't sure she wants anyone to know.
(c) She is afraid he will think she is putting on airs.
(d) She thinks he won't believe her.
2. What 'bad omen' occurs just as Angel and Tess are leaving the farm?
(a) A rooster crows in the afternoon.
(b) There is a ghost in the carriage.
(c) One of the cows miscarries.
3. Tess proves herself to have a stubborn streak. In Chapter 8, how is her stubbornness shown by the author?
(a) She will not let anyone help her with her luggage.
(b) She refuses to show that she is nervous.
(c) She refuses to ride in the carriage with Alec, but walks alongside instead.
(d) She refuses to drive the horses, because she doesn't want to get dirty.
4. What does Tess do as a result of the altercation between Angel and the other man, in Chapter 32?
(a) Asks Angel to call the police and report the other man for slander.
(b) Slips a letter under his door, telling him the truth.
(c) Tells Angel she doesn't want him fighting on her behalf.
(d) Asks Angel if they can get married sooner.
5. Tess has made a pact with the other dairymaids. What does she swear?
(a) That she will never lie to them.
(b) Not to marry Angel.
(c) That she will remain at Talbothays as long as they do.
(d) Not to tell anyone about Alec.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to fetch Tess and take her to Tantridge?
2. Why has Tess made a pact with the other dairymaids?
3. What do Angel and Tess find they have in common, that surprises them both?
4. After Tess leaves for Tantridge, how does her mother feel?
5. Why does Angel continue to pursue Tess?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)