|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 45 | Chapter 46.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Angel react when Tess tells him about her past?
(a) He is confused because he thinks she should be proud of her family connections.
(b) He suggests she make contact with the D'Urbervilles.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He thinks that being a D'Urberville will make his parents accept her all the more readily.
2. How much time has elapsed between the time Tess came home from Tantridge and the time she starts working at Talbothays?
(a) Five years.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Almost four years.
(d) Between two and three years.
3. What does Angel tell Tess about Alec?
(a) That he is a mercenary.
(b) That he is not really a D'Urberville.
(c) That he has been run over by a horse.
(d) That he is a cousin of Angel's.
4. In Chapter 46, who is Tess referring to when she says "He won't hurt me, he's not in love with me."
(d) Farmer Groby.
5. What is Tess's reason for choosing to work at Talbothays?
(a) She is afraid her mother will be angry if she doesn't contribute to the family's finances.
(b) She wants a fresh start where no one knows about her past.
(c) She is still feeling guilty about the horse's death and wants to work in the barns.
(d) It is close to home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alec wants to marry Tess because ____.
2. While Tess is working in the fields at Flintcomb Ash, Alec appears and asks Tess to ____.
3. What kind of work does Tess do at Talbothays?
4. What does Angel threaten to do if Tess still refuses his proposals?
5. What does Tess learn about the significance of the monument?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)