1. In Chapter 1, Mr. Durbeyfield meets the parson on the road. How does the parson greet him?
(a) Mr. D.
(b) Sir James.
(c) Sir John.
(d) Mr. Durbeyfield.
2. What does the parson tell Mr. Durbeyfield?
(a) That he thinks it is going to rain.
(b) That Mr. Durbeyfield's house is on fire.
(c) That Mr. Durbeyfield has won a small fortune.
(d) That Mr. Durbeyfield is related to the D'Urbervilles.
3. What does Mr. Durbeyfield do after he talks to the parson?
(a) He decides to take a walk by the river.
(b) He goes back to the pub.
(c) He tells his family he's rich.
(d) He hires a carriage to drive him home.
4. Where does Angel first see Tess?
(a) At a dance on the green.
(b) At church.
(c) At a picnic on the Marlott green.
(d) Walking home from school.
5. At the dance, why does Angel leave without talking to Tess?
(a) He has to go catch up with his brother.
(b) He is too shy.
(c) He thinks she is busy talking to someone else.
(d) He wants to see if Tess is watching him.
This section contains 6,201 words
(approx. 21 pages at 300 words per page)