Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• John Durbeyfield is the first of the Durbeyfield family to be introduced.
• Making his way home from the pub, he meets the parson.
• The parson tells him he is the only living descendant from an old, noble family, the D'Urbervilles.
• John Durbeyfield puts on airs, hiring a carriage to take him home.
• Tess sees Angel for the first time, at a dance.
• Angel, who is with his brother, dances with other girls.
• As he is leaving, Angel notices Tess, and wishes he had seen her earlier so he could have danced with her.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
• Tess sees her father in a hired carriage, and knows the family cannot afford such luxuries.
• She leaves the dance early to make sure everything is OK at home.
• John returns to the pub to spread the news that he is descended from nobility.
• Tess acts as a parent...
This section contains 2,941 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)