|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dayton, between Knoxville and Chattanooga in the Tennessee River valley, is in what part of Tennessee?
2. Darrow never specifically asks about what?
(d) Solar system.
3. Another ACLU worry, if both Darrow and Bryan work on the trial, is that it would become a clash between what?
(a) Religion, anti-religion.
(b) Fundamentalism, modernism.
(c) Science, religion.
(d) Liberals, conservatives.
4. Bryan offers his services to the prosecution in mid-May despite not having been practicing law for how long?
(a) Over 25 years.
(b) Over 30 years.
(c) Over 15 years.
(d) Over 20 years.
5. Which New Yorker, originally with a chemical engineering doctorate, sees a way to challenge the anti-evolution law?
(a) George W. Rappleyea.
(b) Ben G. McKenzie.
(c) John T. Raulston.
(d) Tom Stewart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response Darrow is seeking when questioning Bryan in the introduction?
2. What do modernists argue matters regarding the accounts within biblical scriptures?
3. What is Bryan's view regarding World War I?
4. The anti-evolution movement develops during the 1920s as it does due to Bryan's leadership and what else?
5. What does the jaw for the Piltdown skull appear to be of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What initial legislative reform does Bryan seek prior to Tennessee?
2. What were concerns the ACLU had about Darrow?
3. What does George W. Rappleyea see upon viewing the press release about the trial in Dayton?
4. Why is it that the ACLU is concerned about the academic freedom around which the Scopes trial centers?
5. What is Georges Cuvier's theory that is more widely accepted than Chevalier de Lamarck's?
6. What are some of the similarities Darrow will present in comparison to Bryan?
7. What is the position that Bryan comes to aid in prosecuting?
8. How does Darrow become involved in the Scopes trial on the defense side?
9. What takes place as word of the Piltdown skull leaks into popular society?
10. William Jennings Bryan is one of the key players in this historical work. His role is what?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)