|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Larson says the defense strategy of calling a prosecutor to the stand to testify as a hostile witness is what?
2. As it makes its way into the press, papers proclaim the Piltdown skull proves whose theory of evolution?
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) Georges Cuvier.
(c) Chevalier de Lamarck.
(d) Charles Dawson.
3. What position does Bryan previously serve in, but later resign from?
(a) Secretary of Education.
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Secretary of the Army.
(d) Secretary of Treasury.
4. After 1923, anti-evolutionists begin focusing on which state for legal action?
(a) South Carolina.
5. The ACLU fights curricula, especially any promoting patriotism openly and labeling anything what as bad?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1925, Dayton Tennessee is what type of town?
2. Bryan offers his services to the prosecution in mid-May despite not having been practicing law for how long?
3. Bryan is caught between arguing for a literal interpretation of the Bible and accommodating facts about what?
4. How many conservatives gather at the first World's Christian Fundamentals Association conference in 1919?
5. As desire for academic freedom spreads to high schools, the ACLU defends teachers and what else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does William Jennings Bryan play in the rise of the anti-evolutionary movement and events leading to the Scopes trial?
2. What are essential things that took place during the preliminary hearing on May 9, 1925?
3. In what fashion does defense attorney Darrow question Bryan?
4. Why is it that the anti-evolution movement's lack of a clear, specific legal or political issue changes by late 1921?
5. What initial legislative reform does Bryan seek prior to Tennessee?
6. What are some of the similarities Darrow will present in comparison to Bryan?
7. Why is it that the ACLU is concerned about the academic freedom around which the Scopes trial centers?
8. What is the position Darrow comes to help in defending?
9. How is it that this case does not seem normal from the start?
10. Why is it that the anti-evolution crusade revives in the 1920s?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)