|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 3 In Defense of Individual Liberty.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the war, the cultural crisis grows worse for fundamentalists and they begin to take what action?
2. The initial bill, calling for a ban on teaching evolution in schools, results in defeat by how many votes in the state's House of Representatives?
3. The anti-evolution crusade revives in the 1920s due partly to high school enrollments at all time highs and what else?
(a) Texts include evolutionary theory.
(b) Texts include more revolutionary theory.
(c) Texts include more modern history.
(d) Texts include more political science.
4. Academic freedom has always been a concern for the ACLU, as it relates to what?
(a) Freedom of religion.
(b) Freedom of education.
(c) Freedom of research.
(d) Freedom of speech.
5. Darrow defends John Scopes for violating which laws, saying evolution cannot be taught in public schools?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Darrow volunteer to defend Scopes beyond believing teachers should be able to instruct evolution?
2. Universities begin incorporating tenure and academic freedom to protect the freedom of what?
3. As it makes its way into the press, papers proclaim the Piltdown skull proves whose theory of evolution?
4. Darrow's practice shifts slowly to criminal law where he often seeks to challenge traditional ideologies of what?
5. How many conservatives gather at the first World's Christian Fundamentals Association conference in 1919?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)