|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Prologue: “Fire” and Part One: “Fog,” Chapters 1-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many years does the narrator say that Cassandra has cherished the phoenix-stone in the Prologue: “Fire”?
2. Where had Cassandra and Grisini been when Grisini warned Cassandra of the powers of the phoenix-stone, according to the narrator in the Prologue: “Fire”?
(a) Oslo, Norway
(b) London, England
(c) Venice, Italy
(d) Paris, France
3. How old is Clara turning on her birthday in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
4. At what time are the guests to arrive for Clara’s birthday party in the beginning of the novel?
(a) 4:30 p.m.
(b) 1:00 p.m.
(c) 5:00 p.m.
(d) 3:00 p.m.
5. What month is it said to be when Clara awakens on her birthday in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as having a hideous face and hangs from a cord above Cassandra’s bed in the Prologue: “Fire”?
2. Where has Clara’s governess gone to visit her sister on the morning of Clara’s birthday party?
3. What traditional, popular English puppet show does the housemaid suggest should be enough for Clara in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
4. What is the name of the housemaid that comes to awaken Clara on her birthday in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
5. What does Cassandra hit with the mirror instead of the phoenix-stone in the end of the Prologue: “Fire”?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)