|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through what state is Kaira traveling?
2. Why is Armpit nervous?
3. What do Armpit's parents do when he gets home?
4. Why does Kaira look at Aileen intently when they stop?
5. What do Ginny and Armpit do in Kaira's dressing room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kaira pacing nervously backstage?
2. Who is Ginny and what do she and Armpit talk about when he gets home?
3. What happens that makes Theodore decide to turn his life around?
4. Why does Armpit want to borrow one of Ginny's stuffed animals and which one does she recommend?
5. What happens between Armpit and some police officers and why?
6. What does Armpit convince X-Ray to do despite what?
7. Why does Armpit get angry with X-Ray, and how does X-Ray respond?
8. About what does the band hint to Kaira and what is her response?
9. What does Armpit impulsively do as far as Tatiana is concerned?
10. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Small Steps? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Small Steps, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Small Steps and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Armpit and X-Ray. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ginny and Kaira. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Small Steps help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)