|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Armpit and Ginny to another place to watch the show?
2. Who is Coo?
3. Whom do Ginny and Armpit notice Kaira arguing with after the concert?
4. What is Karira currently doing?
5. Whom does Murdock only see once a month?
Short Essay Questions
1. What speech does Armpit deliver using Coo as a prop, and how does Tatiana respond?
2. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
3. Where does Kaira take Armpit and Ginny and what do they do?
4. Why is Cotton fired and what does Kaira promise to do about it?
5. About what does the band hint to Kaira and what is her response?
6. Describe the time leading up to Armpit and Ginny finally getting in their seats.
7. What happens to Armpit on his way home, and why does the incident not bother him?
8. What is the election result and how does Tatiana console Armpit?
9. What does Armpit convince X-Ray to do despite what?
10. What does Murdock say and do when X-Ray and Armpit arrive at his restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Small Steps and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Small Steps is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Small Steps. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Sachar's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Sachar use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)