|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many steps does the narrator describe that Theodore needs to take to change his life?
2. Who takes Armpit and Ginny to another place to watch the show?
3. Who is Kaira DeLeon?
4. How is El Genius behaving?
5. What does Ginny say that embarrasses Armpit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaira say about Armpit and Ginny's experience with the forged tickets?
2. How does Armpit finally understand his economics concepts?
3. About what does the band hint to Kaira and what is her response?
4. What happens when X-Ray wakes Armpit the next morning?
5. What happens that makes Theodore decide to turn his life around?
6. Why does Kaira ride in the band's bus and whose music does the band play for her?
7. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
8. Who goes with Armpit to meet X-Ray, and why does Armpit refuse to sell any tickets to the white guys the first time Armpit and X-ray meet up with them?
9. What do Ginny and Armpit do after the concert?
10. Where does Kaira take Armpit and Ginny and what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Small Steps, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Small Steps. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Small Steps interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Armpit. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kaira. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of El Genius. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)