|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mayor suggest about the police behavior?
2. What part of the tale about the concert does Armpit leave out?
3. What gives Armpit great satisfaction that afternoon?
4. What does the security guard ask of Armpit?
5. Who is Murdock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Armpit get angry with X-Ray, and how does X-Ray respond?
2. Describe the time leading up to Armpit and Ginny finally getting in their seats.
3. What does Armpit's counselor advise Armpit about taking steps?
4. What do Ginny and Armpit do after the concert?
5. What does Kaira decide to sing and how does it turn out?
6. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
7. How does Armpit finally understand his economics concepts?
8. About what does the band hint to Kaira and what is her response?
9. Who is X-Ray and what does he want of Armpit and what is Armpit's initial response to X-Ray's proposal?
10. What makes Tatiana decide not to go with Armpit and who does he invite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Small Steps is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Armpit and X-Ray. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ginny and Kaira. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Small Steps help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Small Steps help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Small Steps? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Small Steps to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)