|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does X-Ray want more money from Armpit?
2. Why are there several street people waiting in the line to buy tickets?
3. What is Kaira's reaction to the mention of Dylan and Joplin?
4. Armpit notices that __________ is missing.
5. Where does Theodore get used to digging holes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Detective Newburg ask Armpit to do and what is his response?
2. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
3. Why is Kaira pacing nervously backstage?
4. What makes Tatiana decide not to go with Armpit and who does he invite?
5. What happens that makes Theodore decide to turn his life around?
6. What happens when Armpit witnesses an interrogation of X-Ray?
7. What happens when Armpit encounters Felix and Moses coming back from his speech exam?
8. What do Ginny and Armpit do after the concert?
9. What does Armpit tell Ginny about his experience in San Francisco?
10. Describe the conversation between Detective Newburg and Armpit after he witnesses X-Ray's interrogation.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Small Steps based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Small Steps is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Small Steps a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Small Steps. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in Small Steps. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to be trustworthy? Why? Which are not?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of change in Small Steps. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with change? Why? What are some symbols of change? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid? Which characters change the most? How?
Essay Topic 3
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 3,392 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)