|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Murdock?
2. Who is Aileen?
3. What is Ginny's physical problem?
4. What does Ginny think her mother has implied about Ginny's father?
5. What is Armpit forced to use when he arrives at the show place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kaira take Armpit and Ginny and what do they do?
2. What does Murdock say and do when X-Ray and Armpit arrive at his restaurant?
3. What happens when X-Ray wakes Armpit the next morning?
4. What happens between Armpit and some police officers and why?
5. What does Armpit's counselor advise Armpit about taking steps?
6. What does Armpit impulsively do as far as Tatiana is concerned?
7. How does Armpit finally understand his economics concepts?
8. About what does the band hint to Kaira and what is her response?
9. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
10. What is the election result and how does Tatiana console Armpit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Small Steps? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Small Steps, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Small Steps and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Small Steps and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Small Steps is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The narrative manifests its thematic interest in the alluring power of money. Also here, it's important to consider how, in some fundamental ways, there is little moral, essential difference between what X-Ray does to Armpit and what El Genius is later revealed to be doing to Kaira. The scope and level of violence are quite different, but the basic principles behind their actions are the same where greed rules.
1. Do you think that a huge sum of money will corrupt everyone? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
2. Explain whether what Armpit and X-Ray did is the same or not the same as what El Genius did except on a smaller scale. Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
3. Do you think X-Ray and Armpit should have been punished for scalping and using fake tickets? Was X-Ray more to blame than Armpit? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)