Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ginny's mother say to Armpit's mother?
2. Who ends up buying the tickets?
3. What is Armpit carrying with him?
4. Who are Felix and Moses?
5. How long does it take Theodore to resolve to change his life after he gets into trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who goes with Armpit to meet X-Ray, and why does Armpit refuse to sell any tickets to the white guys the first time Armpit and X-ray meet up with them?
2. What happens in the chaotic aftermath of the attack?
3. What happens when El Genius encounters Armpit in the hotel?
4. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
5. What does the narrator say about what happens in the events surrounding Kaira?
6. What do Ginny and Armpit do after the concert?
7. Why does Kaira ride in the band's bus and whose music does the band play for her?
8. What happens to make Kaira throw coffee in Armpit's face and leave?
9. What have Aileen and El Genius been doing with Kaira's money, and why does El Genius want Armpit to come to San Francisco?
10. What happens when Armpit witnesses an interrogation of X-Ray?
Essay Topic 1
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
The narrative manifests its thematic interest in the alluring power of money. Also here, it's important to consider how, in some fundamental ways, there is little moral, essential difference between what X-Ray does to Armpit and what El Genius is later revealed to be doing to Kaira. The scope and level of violence are quite different, but the basic principles behind their actions are the same where greed rules.
1. Do you think that a huge sum of money will corrupt everyone? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
2. Explain whether what Armpit and X-Ray did is the same or not the same as what El Genius did except on a smaller scale. Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
3. Do you think X-Ray and Armpit should have been punished for scalping and using fake tickets? Was X-Ray more to blame than Armpit? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Armpit and X-Ray. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ginny and Kaira. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Small Steps help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)