|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Coo's problem?
2. What does Kaira want when she calls Armpit?
3. What part of the tale about the concert does Armpit leave out?
4. Armpit is reluctant to let go of ______________.
5. Who are Felix and Moses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who goes with Armpit to meet X-Ray, and why does Armpit refuse to sell any tickets to the white guys the first time Armpit and X-ray meet up with them?
2. What does Kaira decide to sing and how does it turn out?
3. Who is Karia DeLeon?
4. What happens to Armpit on his way home, and why does the incident not bother him?
5. What happens between Armpit and some police officers and why?
6. Who is Theodore Johnson; what is his nickname; and, how did he acquire it?
7. What does Kaira say about Armpit and Ginny's experience with the forged tickets?
8. Who is Ginny and what do she and Armpit talk about when he gets home?
9. Why does Kaira ride in the band's bus and whose music does the band play for her?
10. What is the election result and how does Tatiana console Armpit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Small Steps.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Small Steps. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Small Steps. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Small Steps. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Sachar chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Sachar's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Sachar use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Small Steps is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)