|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ginny and Armpit do in Kaira's dressing room?
2. What does X-Ray say to explain the tickets?
3. What does Armpit convince X-Ray to do?
4. What does Armpit's father want of Armpit?
5. What does Ginny's mother say to Armpit's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaira say about Armpit and Ginny's experience with the forged tickets?
2. About what does the band hint to Kaira and what is her response?
3. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
4. What makes Tatiana decide not to go with Armpit and who does he invite?
5. What happens to Armpit on his way home, and why does the incident not bother him?
6. What does Ginny's mother allow Armpit to do and what comment does she make that surprises Armpit's mother?
7. Describe the time leading up to Armpit and Ginny finally getting in their seats.
8. What does Armpit convince X-Ray to do despite what?
9. How does Armpit finally understand his economics concepts?
10. Who is Theodore Johnson; what is his nickname; and, how did he acquire it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Louis Sachar.
2. What in Sachar's background may have helped him in writing Small Steps? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Small Steps is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Small Steps interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Armpit. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kaira. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of El Genius. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)