|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Armpit convince X-Ray to do?
2. Who brings Armpit and Ginny something to drink?
3. What is Armpit carrying with him?
4. What is Kaira's reaction to the mention of Dylan and Joplin?
5. How does Ginny react to Coo's loss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Armpit convince X-Ray to do despite what?
2. What happens when X-Ray wakes Armpit the next morning?
3. Who is Karia DeLeon?
4. What does Kaira decide to sing and how does it turn out?
5. What makes Tatiana decide not to go with Armpit and who does he invite?
6. Why does Kaira ride in the band's bus and whose music does the band play for her?
7. Who is Ginny and what do she and Armpit talk about when he gets home?
8. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
9. What does Armpit's counselor advise Armpit about taking steps?
10. What does Armpit impulsively do as far as Tatiana is concerned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Small Steps is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Small Steps, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Small Steps. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Small Steps is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)