|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has one customer offered for the last two tickets?
2. What does the security guard ask of Armpit?
3. What does Armpit want to borrow from Ginny?
4. What does Armpit say he'll never do again?
5. Whom does Murdock only see once a month?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Armpit on his way home, and why does the incident not bother him?
2. What does Murdock say and do when X-Ray and Armpit arrive at his restaurant?
3. What happens that makes Theodore decide to turn his life around?
4. What does Armpit convince X-Ray to do despite what?
5. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
6. What does Kaira decide to sing and how does it turn out?
7. Who is Karia DeLeon?
8. Where does Kaira take Armpit and Ginny and what do they do?
9. What happens when X-Ray wakes Armpit the next morning?
10. What do Ginny and Armpit do after the concert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Small Steps. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of trust in Small Steps. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to be trustworthy? Why? Which are not?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of change in Small Steps. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with change? Why? What are some symbols of change? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid? Which characters change the most? How?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Small Steps interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Armpit. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kaira. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of El Genius. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of Small Steps, Armpit grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Small Steps might be considered a slice of Armpit's larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that Small Steps is a "bildungsroman" of Theodore Johnson. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Armpit as he changes from a more immature, gullible boy to a wiser, young man. What are the significant events that change Armpit?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Armpit's growth throughout Small Steps, do you think Small Steps could be considered Armpit's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Small Steps who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)