|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story was a plant by El Genius?
2. What is X-Ray's plans for making money?
3. What happens on the way home from school to Armpit?
4. What does Armpit's father want of Armpit?
5. What gives Armpit great satisfaction that afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaira decide to sing and how does it turn out?
2. What happens that makes Theodore decide to turn his life around?
3. What happens between Armpit and some police officers and why?
4. Why does Armpit get angry with X-Ray, and how does X-Ray respond?
5. What does Ginny's mother allow Armpit to do and what comment does she make that surprises Armpit's mother?
6. What speech does Armpit deliver using Coo as a prop, and how does Tatiana respond?
7. Describe the time leading up to Armpit and Ginny finally getting in their seats.
8. What does Armpit's counselor advise Armpit about taking steps?
9. What makes Tatiana decide not to go with Armpit and who does he invite?
10. What does Armpit convince X-Ray to do despite what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Small Steps interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Armpit. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kaira. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of El Genius. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Small Steps.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Small Steps. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Small Steps. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Small Steps and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Small Steps is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)