|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaira want to know when the show is delayed?
2. Why are there several street people waiting in the line to buy tickets?
3. To what do Armpit and Mayor Ane dance?
4. What is Karira currently doing?
5. Through what state is Kaira traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Armpit on his way home, and why does the incident not bother him?
2. Why is Cotton fired and what does Kaira promise to do about it?
3. Why is Kaira pacing nervously backstage?
4. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
5. What does Ginny's mother allow Armpit to do and what comment does she make that surprises Armpit's mother?
6. What speech does Armpit deliver using Coo as a prop, and how does Tatiana respond?
7. What happens when X-Ray wakes Armpit the next morning?
8. Why does Armpit want to borrow one of Ginny's stuffed animals and which one does she recommend?
9. What is the election result and how does Tatiana console Armpit?
10. What does Kaira decide to sing and how does it turn out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Armpit and X-Ray. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ginny and Kaira. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Small Steps help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Small Steps is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)