|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kaira and her band spontaneously decide to do?
2. Who is Aileen?
3. What is Armpit carrying with him?
4. Who takes Armpit and Ginny to another place to watch the show?
5. Where does Theodore get used to digging holes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Armpit stop to buy and then where do Kaira and Armpit go?
2. What does the letter Armpit receives from Kaira say?
3. How does Kaira discover that Armpit is ticklish and what does Fred interrupt?
4. Describe the conversation between Detective Newburg and Armpit after he witnesses X-Ray's interrogation.
5. What does El Genius do in Armpit's room?
6. Who is X-Ray and what does he want of Armpit and what is Armpit's initial response to X-Ray's proposal?
7. What does Kaira say about Armpit and Ginny's experience with the forged tickets?
8. What does Ginny's mother allow Armpit to do and what comment does she make that surprises Armpit's mother?
9. Why does Armpit get angry with X-Ray, and how does X-Ray respond?
10. Where does Kaira take Armpit and Ginny and what do they do?
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Small Steps is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Small Steps and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Small Steps is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Small Steps interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Armpit. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kaira. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of El Genius. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 3,256 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)