|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up buying the tickets?
2. What does Armpit feel the need to explain?
3. What happens on the way home from school to Armpit?
4. What happens when Armpit tries to buy a newspaper?
5. What is Pillow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kaira decide to sing and how does it turn out?
2. About what does the band hint to Kaira and what is her response?
3. What happens that makes Theodore decide to turn his life around?
4. Why is Cotton fired and what does Kaira promise to do about it?
5. What does Armpit impulsively do as far as Tatiana is concerned?
6. What does Kaira say about Armpit and Ginny's experience with the forged tickets?
7. Why are Armpit's parents concerned about Armpit taking Ginny to the concert?
8. What is the election result and how does Tatiana console Armpit?
9. Why does Armpit want to borrow one of Ginny's stuffed animals and which one does she recommend?
10. What does Armpit's counselor advise Armpit about taking steps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of Small Steps, Armpit grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Small Steps might be considered a slice of Armpit's larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that Small Steps is a "bildungsroman" of Theodore Johnson. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Armpit as he changes from a more immature, gullible boy to a wiser, young man. What are the significant events that change Armpit?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Armpit's growth throughout Small Steps, do you think Small Steps could be considered Armpit's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Small Steps who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Small Steps.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Small Steps. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Small Steps. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)