|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kaira feel when the band plays Joplin's music?
2. What does Ginny think her mother has implied about Ginny's father?
3. How is Kaira attired?
4. Who are Felix and Moses?
5. What was Theodore bitten by in the armpit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cotton fired and what does Kaira promise to do about it?
2. Describe the time leading up to Armpit and Ginny finally getting in their seats.
3. Who is Karia DeLeon?
4. What does Ginny's mother allow Armpit to do and what comment does she make that surprises Armpit's mother?
5. About what does the band hint to Kaira and what is her response?
6. Why does Kaira ride in the band's bus and whose music does the band play for her?
7. What does Murdock say and do when X-Ray and Armpit arrive at his restaurant?
8. What do Ginny and Armpit do after the concert?
9. What speech does Armpit deliver using Coo as a prop, and how does Tatiana respond?
10. What happens to Armpit on his way home, and why does the incident not bother him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Small Steps belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Small Steps and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Small Steps is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Important elements in Chapter 14 and 15 include the Mayor's outright suggestion that the actions of the police are motivated and/or defined by racism and the appearance of the Mayor herself. This comes across as something of a deus ex machina, a term first used in Ancient Greek theater to describe an incident in which conflict was resolved by the unexpected intervention of an all-powerful god, arbitrary but necessary for the story to be resolved how the author wanted it to be. Yes, the author of "Small Steps" has made an effort to establish at least some relationship between Armpit and the Mayor (Chapter 1), but there is the sense that the only reason that scene exists is to make the mayor's appearance here seem a little less unlikely. If that is, in fact, the case, the attempt doesn't really work. It seems highly unlikely that such an important official as the mayor, even one who enjoys Kaira's music as much as this one seems to, would be on the crowded floor of the stadium during a concert.
1. Do you think it is likely or unlikely that the police's actions were partly due to racism? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
2. Explain in detail, why the mayor being at the concert was a type of deus ex machina. Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
3. Explain, in depth, why the mayor being at the concert was or was not a narrative contrivance. Use examples from your own life and Small Steps to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)