• Sharpe, and a small group of riflemen, are lost. Sharpe asks Lieutenant Harry Price to help him read the map to no avail.
• A lookout calls softly and Sharpe moves to him and looks down. A small detachment of French soldiers are at the empty village.
• Being outnumbered, Sharpe will not attack until he hears a woman scream. He orders his men to the village.
• There are only two French left when the British get there and they are raping a young Spanish girl.
• They look through the village and find civilians, including women and children raped, tortured and killed.
• The two French soldiers surrender. Sharpe, thinking of what he has seen, prepares to execute them.
• Four French soldiers with a truce flag come into the village. The leader says he is General Guy Loup and demands his men.
• Loup cites the rules of war but Sharpe...
This section contains 2,410 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)