|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what season does Augusten note that Deirdre typically has a psychotic break?
2. Under what is Freud trapped by the dreamer?
3. How long is Freud imprisoned?
4. How does Augusten travel to visit his mother in Amherst?
5. Who does Augusten wake to hear Cesar Mendoza having sex with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Brenda comes to visit the Finch family?
2. After Neil Bookman has been gone for over a year, what realization does Augusten come to about their relationship?
3. What disturbing behavior does Augusten witness from his mother during their stay in Rhode Island?
4. What happens when Natalie loses her earrings in the hotel?
5. What significant event happens during Natalie and Augusten's first live performance at the mental health hospital?
6. What does Augusten remember about the Christmas tree that his mother brought home when Augusten was 10?
7. What does Augusten witness on the last night before Deirdre is taken away by the police?
8. What does Augusten do after he realizes that Neil Bookman has disappeared?
9. How do the Finch family respond to having their furniture outside?
10. Who is Cesar Mendoza and what does he look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unrequited love becomes a large theme throughout the novel.
Part 1.) Create a list of examples of unrequited love throughout the memoir.
Part 2.) Compare / contrast the unrequited love between Deirdre and Dr. Finch with the unrequited love between Neil Bookman and Augusten.
Part 3.) Explain the effect that unrequited love had on Augusten after the incident with the convenience store clerk in Amherst.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the memoir, Augusten is filled with a deep admiration for his mother. Explain the way that Augusten viewed his mother when he was a child, and explain the way that Augusten's view of her changed as he grew older.
Essay Topic 3
When Augusten first meets the Finch sisters, he is afraid of them. Explain the way that Augusten views the Finch sisters in the beginning of the novel, and then explain the way that his relationship with them changes as the memoir progresses.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)