|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Augusten and Natalie go after watching the wedding on TV?
2. Why does Deirdre decide to search for a new girlfriend?
3. What emotion does Augusten feel after he sees the boy reading his note?
4. How long of a notice does Augusten give Natalie before he moves out of his apartment?
5. What does Natalie say that she would like to study at Smith College?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Neil Bookman has been gone for over a year, what realization does Augusten come to about their relationship?
2. What happens to the rest of the Finch family in the epilogue?
3. Why do the Finch family still have a Christmas tree in May?
4. What disturbing behavior does Augusten witness from his mother during their stay in Rhode Island?
5. How does Augusten react to Hope's sudden onset of mental instability?
6. Why do Hope Finch and Neil Bookman get into a huge fight about Neil's relationship with Augusten?
7. What happens when Natalie loses her earrings in the hotel?
8. What does Natalie inform Augusten of while they are whale watching, and how does she prove her point?
9. What does Augusten witness on the last night before Deirdre is taken away by the police?
10. What are the consequences of Deirdre taking Cesar home with her from the mental hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout most of Augusten's life, Dierdre is in tumultuous and unhealthy relationships.
Part 1.) Give examples of three relationships that Deirdre was in during Augusten's childhood and explain why they were unhealthy.
Part 2.) Explain the way that each of these relationships had a larger effect on Augusten's life and perception of love.
Essay Topic 2
The Finch family uses many methods to receive messages from God when they are stressed out about a situation. Compare and contrast the two methods of communication that Hope and Dr. Finch use to speak to God about their troubles, and then explain why you think the Finch family believes that they are in open communication with God about their trivial problems.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the memoir, Augusten is filled with a deep admiration for his mother. Explain the way that Augusten viewed his mother when he was a child, and explain the way that Augusten's view of her changed as he grew older.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)