|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the fight with Neil Bookman, what word does Augusten use to describe Hope?
2. What concept do Natalie and Augusten discuss as they are hitchhiking back into town?
3. How long is Freud imprisoned?
4. What does Neil Bookman tell Augusten that he has gone to buy when he disappears in Chapter 22?
5. What does Natalie say that she would like to study at Smith College?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Augusten sets out to dye Neil Bookman's hair?
2. Who is Cesar Mendoza and what does he look like?
3. What happens when Augusten and Natalie go into the city to search for part-time jobs?
4. Why do Hope Finch and Neil Bookman get into a huge fight about Neil's relationship with Augusten?
5. What happens after Deirdre meets Winnie Pye?
6. What does Augusten remember about the Christmas tree that his mother brought home when Augusten was 10?
7. What happens when Natalie and Augusten go to visit Father Kimmel in town?
8. What happens when Natalie loses her earrings in the hotel?
9. What happens after Augusten becomes smitten with the boy from the convenience store?
10. How does Augusten react to Hope's sudden onset of mental instability?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many times throughout his life that Augusten feels very alone and sought out someone to confess his emotions to.
Part 1.) Create a list of three examples in which Augusten felt alone and depressed.
Part 2.) Explain who Augusten typically chose to confess his feelings of loneliness to.
Part 3.) Explain the way that emotions and confessions shaped the relationship that Augusten had with at least one other character in the memoir.
Essay Topic 2
The family that Augusten based the Finches on were outraged at the release of this memoir and sued Augusten for defamation and libel.
Part 1.) Explain a moment in the memoir that you found unbelievable.
Part 2.) Should memoir writers be forced to prove the accuracy of their stories?
Part 3.) Do you believe that memoir writers should get the permission of the people that they are writing about before the memoir is released?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout most of Augusten's life, Dierdre is in tumultuous and unhealthy relationships.
Part 1.) Give examples of three relationships that Deirdre was in during Augusten's childhood and explain why they were unhealthy.
Part 2.) Explain the way that each of these relationships had a larger effect on Augusten's life and perception of love.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)