|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chinese learned to play the ____ off one another.
2. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
3. Which American political scientist is mentioned?
4. In what year was the Treaty of Tianjin signed?
5. China saw itself as being in the center of the world and often referred to itself as the _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
2. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
3. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
4. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
5. What were Deng's steps in the modernization of China? How did they compare to Mao's plans?
6. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
7. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
8. When did Deng return to China? What were his next steps?
9. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
10. What caused the U.S.-Sino relationship to revert to its starting point?
Essay Topic 1
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The United Nations was formed to work as an intermediary between countries and to create a body through which these countries could communicate and, hopefully, cooperate on global issues. Write an essay on the United Nations, its role in Sino and United States negotiations and how it has changed since its inception.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the long and illustrious career of Henry Kissinger. How effective was Kissinger as Secretary of State? What are the man's opinions about the modern state of affairs between the United States and China? What else has Kissinger done in government? When did he retire? What other books have been written by Kissinger?
This section contains 2,124 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)