|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is best used to describe Li Hongzhang?
2. In what year did the "Plans for a Maritime Defense" go into effect?
3. The ____ Emperor is considered to be the founder of China.
4. Thirty years later, French political economist _____ expanded on Jean-Baptiste Du Halde's work.
5. Who is the ancient sage often referred to in the text?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changed in Russia in the mid-1950s? What caused the change?
2. How did China's actions change in time of decline versus a period of resurgence?
3. Kissinger says that Mao liked to speak in parables. What was Mao's message?
4. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
5. Who stepped in after Zhou bowed out of the political race?
6. Mao presented a new sense of warmth toward the United States Where was this most noticeable? How did Mao now present the relationship between China and the United States?
7. How did China change in the first two decades after it became a Republic?
8. How did China change with the inauguration of Jiang Zemin?
9. What caused the Chinese to confront Communism?
10. Kissinger asks the question: "Can strategic trust replace a system of strategic threats?" What are his thoughts on the topic?
Essay Topic 1
Who do you think was the most effective leader in Chinese history? Which was the best? Which was the worst? How might a leader like Qing fare in the modern world? How do Mao, Qing, Deng and Zhou compare? Which was the most powerful? Which was the most successful?
Essay Topic 2
How might the Sino-American relationship have developed or changed if Richard Nixon had not been forced to resign? What did the Chinese think of the impeachment? How did it affect China's view of the United States? What was Kissinger's role in Sino-American relations after Nixon left office?
Essay Topic 3
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
This section contains 2,082 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)