|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which major Chinese city was first visited by Kissinger?
2. What was the time period of the Song Dynasty?
3. Which is not one of the nomadic groups mentioned?
4. The Chinese referred to the British as ____.
5. Which American political scientist is mentioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
2. Who stepped in after Zhou bowed out of the political race?
3. What did Deng claim was the real reason for his retirement?
4. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
5. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
6. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
7. What does Kissinger say about the ideology of China and Russia at this time?
8. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
9. What was Deng's message regarding foreign investment?
10. Mao had two main choices of leadership. What were they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in details Deng's modernization of China. How did Deng make China a viable country in the global market place? What were his plans? Were all of them successful? What were the biggest changes? How have Deng's changes affected today's China? What other things might Deng have accomplished if he had stayed in office? Do you agree with Deng's choice to retire?
Essay Topic 2
China always saw itself as a superior country in both power and culture. Examine this mentality. What gave China the impression that it was superior? Was it superior? How did it show this superiority over its enemies? How did other countries view this standpoint? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
"A special feature of Chinese civilization is that it seems to have no beginning. It appears in history less as a conventional nation-state than a permanent natural phenomenon. In the tale of the Yellow Emperor, revered by many Chinese as the legendary founding ruler, China seems already to exist. When the Yellow Emperor appears in myth, Chinese civilization has fallen into chaos. Competing princes harass each other and the people, yet an enfeebled ruler fails to maintain order. Levying an army, the new hero pacifies the realm and is acclaimed as emperor." (Chap. 1, p. 20)
What is meant by this statement? Why is the Yellow Emperor seen as a myth? Why did China need a new hero? Why does this undocumented history make China special?
This section contains 2,060 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)