|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chinese fired upon the contingency from which location?
2. The first major attempt to right things with China was led by Britain's Lord George ______.
3. By this time it is believed that China had survived for ____ years.
4. Which country was not referred to in this plan?
5. What is Kissinger's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kissinger discusses the death of two major Chinese leaders. Who were they? When did they die?
2. Who was Fang Lizhi? What was his role in politics?
3. When did Deng return to China? What were his next steps?
4. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
5. Why was 1989 a turbulent year around the world? What events occurred?
6. How did the changes in government personnel change Sino-United States. relationships?
7. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
8. What did Kissinger say about his first meeting with Mao?
9. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
10. How did Mao combat his weakened position in the triumvirate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mao. Why is Mao a controversial figure? What was Kissinger's opinion of Mao? How did the Chinese people view Mao? Why was he called "Chairman Mao?" Were Kissinger's personal feelings different from his professional view of Mao? What was the relationship between Kissinger and Mao? Discuss the same questions regarding Kissinger and Zhou.
Essay Topic 2
Write an opinion on the future of the United States economy and how it is/will be affected by China. How has the United States relied on China in recent years during times of economic downturn? How might China help the United States during periods of economic recovery? What might China want in return? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mao and other Chinese leaders focused heavily on the nomadic territories to the north. Why were border wars so important? How did the presence of the nomads help/hinder the conflict between China and the Soviet Union? Who won the conflict?
This section contains 2,021 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)