|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chinese managed to pit which two countries against each other in Manchuria?
2. In which direction did the nomadic groups tend to stay?
3. Who was president of the United States at that time?
4. What word is best used to describe China's cultural and political situation?
5. Which country attempted to invade China from the north and west to claim dominance over the country's high lands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
2. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
3. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
4. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
5. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
6. How does Kissinger address the history of the Chinese-Indian borders?
7. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
8. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
9. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
10. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might the Sino-American relationship have developed or changed if Richard Nixon had not been forced to resign? What did the Chinese think of the impeachment? How did it affect China's view of the United States? What was Kissinger's role in Sino-American relations after Nixon left office?
Essay Topic 2
China and the United States were trying to work closely with the Soviet Union during the downfall of Communism. Did the U.S. and China know that Communism was about the fall? Did they know that the Soviet Union would soon cease to exist? How would they be able to work with the new Russia? How did it affect foreign policy and globalization?
Essay Topic 3
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)