|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction did the nomadic groups tend to stay?
2. The Manchu Heartland is located in ____ China.
3. How many times has Kissinger visited China?
4. In what year did the French Jesuit Jean-Baptiste Du Halde write about China?
5. What was the name of the Emperor's half-brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
2. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
3. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
4. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
5. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
6. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
7. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
8. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
9. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
10. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 2
China and the United States were trying to work closely with the Soviet Union during the downfall of Communism. Did the U.S. and China know that Communism was about the fall? Did they know that the Soviet Union would soon cease to exist? How would they be able to work with the new Russia? How did it affect foreign policy and globalization?
Essay Topic 3
Write an opinion on the future of the United States economy and how it is/will be affected by China. How has the United States relied on China in recent years during times of economic downturn? How might China help the United States during periods of economic recovery? What might China want in return? Explain.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)