|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which method is used to translate Chinese close to the Roman alphabet?
2. The treaty allowed a permanent ____ to be established in Beijing.
3. In 1820, China produced ____ of the world GDP.
4. In the early years China often exchanged good with which country?
5. In which direction did the nomadic groups tend to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
2. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
3. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
4. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
5. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
6. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
7. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
8. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
9. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
10. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kissinger writes that the basic concept of foreign policy is that a country must be able to develop a dialogue with other countries in order to have the world succeed as a unit. This is even more important in this time of globalization as countries are expected to work together to strengthen a world economy. Why is this important? Why must the United States devote so much time and money to foreign policy? How does it affect globalization? How does it affect the United States economy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think was the most effective leader in Chinese history? Which was the best? Which was the worst? How might a leader like Qing fare in the modern world? How do Mao, Qing, Deng and Zhou compare? Which was the most powerful? Which was the most successful?
Essay Topic 3
China always saw itself as a superior country in both power and culture. Examine this mentality. What gave China the impression that it was superior? Was it superior? How did it show this superiority over its enemies? How did other countries view this standpoint? Explain.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)