|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is best used to describe China's cultural and political situation?
2. Thirty years later, French political economist _____ expanded on Jean-Baptiste Du Halde's work.
3. Which rebellion began in the 1850s?
4. What was the name of the Emperor's half-brother?
5. The Manchu Heartland is located in ____ China.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
2. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
3. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
4. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
5. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
6. How does Kissinger address the history of the Chinese-Indian borders?
7. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
8. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
9. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
10. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
China always saw itself as a superior country in both power and culture. Examine this mentality. What gave China the impression that it was superior? Was it superior? How did it show this superiority over its enemies? How did other countries view this standpoint? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Kissinger writes that the basic concept of foreign policy is that a country must be able to develop a dialogue with other countries in order to have the world succeed as a unit. This is even more important in this time of globalization as countries are expected to work together to strengthen a world economy. Why is this important? Why must the United States devote so much time and money to foreign policy? How does it affect globalization? How does it affect the United States economy? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Chinese had an idea of how to get ahead in foreign trade. This included cornering the market in four main areas. What were those areas? What products were thought to be the most important? Why? How does foreign trade with China help/hinder the United States market? What is your opinion on how the United States should advance in the global trade market?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)