Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chinese learned to play the ____ off one another.
2. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
3. Which American political scientist is mentioned?
4. In what year was the Treaty of Tianjin signed?
5. China saw itself as being in the center of the world and often referred to itself as the _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
2. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
3. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
4. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
5. What were Deng's steps in the modernization of China? How did they compare to Mao's plans?
6. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
7. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
8. When did Deng return to China? What were his next steps?
9. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
10. What caused the U.S.-Sino relationship to revert to its starting point?
Discuss Mao. Why is Mao a controversial figure? What was Kissinger's opinion of Mao? How did the Chinese people view Mao? Why was he called "Chairman Mao?" Were Kissinger's personal feelings different from his professional view of Mao? What was the relationship between Kissinger and Mao? Discuss the same questions regarding Kissinger and Zhou.
The United Nations was formed to work as an intermediary between countries and to create a body through which these countries could communicate and, hopefully, cooperate on global issues. Write an essay on the United Nations, its role in Sino and United States negotiations and how it has changed since its inception.
Write an opinion on the future of the United States economy and how it is/will be affected by China. How has the United States relied on China in recent years during times of economic downturn? How might China help the United States during periods of economic recovery? What might China want in return? Explain.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)