|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
2. Which major Chinese city was first visited by Kissinger?
3. In 1820, China produced ____ of the world GDP.
4. The Chinese learned to play the ____ off one another.
5. What other country was a part of the Sinocentric world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
2. How does Kissinger address the history of the Chinese-Indian borders?
3. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
4. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
5. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
6. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
7. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
8. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
9. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
10. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast China and Thailand regarding the Mandate of Heaven and autonomy. Where does Thailand currently stand on Communism?
Essay Topic 2
"A special feature of Chinese civilization is that it seems to have no beginning. It appears in history less as a conventional nation-state than a permanent natural phenomenon. In the tale of the Yellow Emperor, revered by many Chinese as the legendary founding ruler, China seems already to exist. When the Yellow Emperor appears in myth, Chinese civilization has fallen into chaos. Competing princes harass each other and the people, yet an enfeebled ruler fails to maintain order. Levying an army, the new hero pacifies the realm and is acclaimed as emperor." (Chap. 1, p. 20)
What is meant by this statement? Why is the Yellow Emperor seen as a myth? Why did China need a new hero? Why does this undocumented history make China special?
Essay Topic 3
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)