|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year did China's leader summon his top military personnel to Beijing?
2. In what month was the meeting called?
3. Traditionally, China did not on technology or military power but relied upon two of its most deeply traditional resources: the analytical abilities of its diplomats, and the endurance and ____________ of its people.
4. What other country was a part of the Sinocentric world?
5. In what year did the French Jesuit Jean-Baptiste Du Halde write about China?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
2. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
3. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
4. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
5. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
6. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
7. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
8. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
9. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
10. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Confucius was a little-realized prophet, poet, and philosopher during his time. Posthumously, Confucius' words would help to form a nation that would become one of the world's superpowers. Discuss Confucius. What was his role in the Chinese government? How was Confucius' work viewed during his life? Why did it take generations for Confucius' work to become revered? How is it viewed today?
Essay Topic 2
Mao and other Chinese leaders focused heavily on the nomadic territories to the north. Why were border wars so important? How did the presence of the nomads help/hinder the conflict between China and the Soviet Union? Who won the conflict?
Essay Topic 3
If a world order had not been introduced into China in the mid 1800s, how long do you think it would have taken for it to be introduced? Why did the Chinese leaders say that it would take 100 years to develop a strong relationship with the United States? What reservations did the Emperor have about forming relationships with the outside world? Do you think it is possible to run an isolated country in today's world?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)