|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
2. In 1820, China produced ____ of the world GDP.
3. The Chinese managed to pit which two countries against each other in Manchuria?
4. The ____ Emperor is considered to be the founder of China.
5. Who is the ancient sage often referred to in the text?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
2. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
3. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
4. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
5. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
6. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
7. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
8. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
9. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
10. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might the Sino-American relationship have developed or changed if Richard Nixon had not been forced to resign? What did the Chinese think of the impeachment? How did it affect China's view of the United States? What was Kissinger's role in Sino-American relations after Nixon left office?
Essay Topic 2
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 3
Confucius was a little-realized prophet, poet, and philosopher during his time. Posthumously, Confucius' words would help to form a nation that would become one of the world's superpowers. Discuss Confucius. What was his role in the Chinese government? How was Confucius' work viewed during his life? Why did it take generations for Confucius' work to become revered? How is it viewed today?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)