|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the early years China often exchanged good with which country?
2. The Chinese fired upon the contingency from which location?
3. What was the time period of the Song Dynasty?
4. Mao once claimed that the population of China declined from 50 million to ____ million.
5. This strategy was put into place by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
2. How does Kissinger address the history of the Chinese-Indian borders?
3. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
4. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
5. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
6. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
7. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
8. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
9. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
10. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 2
How might the Sino-American relationship have developed or changed if Richard Nixon had not been forced to resign? What did the Chinese think of the impeachment? How did it affect China's view of the United States? What was Kissinger's role in Sino-American relations after Nixon left office?
Essay Topic 3
Mao and other Chinese leaders focused heavily on the nomadic territories to the north. Why were border wars so important? How did the presence of the nomads help/hinder the conflict between China and the Soviet Union? Who won the conflict?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)