|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not one of the countries mentioned as a location in China's periphery?
2. What was the time period of the Song Dynasty?
3. In what year B.C. did the Chinese unification take place?
4. The Chinese referred to the British as ____.
5. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
Short Essay Questions
1. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
2. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
3. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
4. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
5. How does Kissinger address the history of the Chinese-Indian borders?
6. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
7. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
8. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
9. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
10. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
China always saw itself as a superior country in both power and culture. Examine this mentality. What gave China the impression that it was superior? Was it superior? How did it show this superiority over its enemies? How did other countries view this standpoint? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How might the Sino-American relationship have developed or changed if Richard Nixon had not been forced to resign? What did the Chinese think of the impeachment? How did it affect China's view of the United States? What was Kissinger's role in Sino-American relations after Nixon left office?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the long and illustrious career of Henry Kissinger. How effective was Kissinger as Secretary of State? What are the man's opinions about the modern state of affairs between the United States and China? What else has Kissinger done in government? When did he retire? What other books have been written by Kissinger?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)