|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Zheng He's expeditions stop abruptly?
2. The high point of the _____ Dynasty was also the turning point for China.
3. China saw itself as being in the center of the world and often referred to itself as the _____.
4. What word is best used to describe Li Hongzhang?
5. In which year did China's leader summon his top military personnel to Beijing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
2. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
3. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
4. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
5. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
6. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
7. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
8. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
9. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
10. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you think was the most effective leader in Chinese history? Which was the best? Which was the worst? How might a leader like Qing fare in the modern world? How do Mao, Qing, Deng and Zhou compare? Which was the most powerful? Which was the most successful?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast China and Thailand regarding the Mandate of Heaven and autonomy. Where does Thailand currently stand on Communism?
Essay Topic 3
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)