|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
2. Which is not one of the countries mentioned as a location in China's periphery?
3. The Chinese managed to pit which two countries against each other in Manchuria?
4. The Prince quote an ancient Chinese saying: "Resort to peace and _____ when temporarily obliged to do so; use war and defense as your actual policy."
5. In 1820, China produced ____ of the world GDP.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
2. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
3. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
4. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
5. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
6. How does Kissinger address the history of the Chinese-Indian borders?
7. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
8. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
9. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
10. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in details Deng's modernization of China. How did Deng make China a viable country in the global market place? What were his plans? Were all of them successful? What were the biggest changes? How have Deng's changes affected today's China? What other things might Deng have accomplished if he had stayed in office? Do you agree with Deng's choice to retire?
Essay Topic 2
The United Nations was formed to work as an intermediary between countries and to create a body through which these countries could communicate and, hopefully, cooperate on global issues. Write an essay on the United Nations, its role in Sino and United States negotiations and how it has changed since its inception.
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think was the most effective leader in Chinese history? Which was the best? Which was the worst? How might a leader like Qing fare in the modern world? How do Mao, Qing, Deng and Zhou compare? Which was the most powerful? Which was the most successful?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)