|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chinese learned to play the ____ off one another.
2. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
3. Which American political scientist is mentioned?
4. In what year was the Treaty of Tianjin signed?
5. China saw itself as being in the center of the world and often referred to itself as the _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
2. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
3. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
4. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
5. What were Deng's steps in the modernization of China? How did they compare to Mao's plans?
6. Why did Bismarck fail to capture the attention of the United States and China?
7. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
8. When did Deng return to China? What were his next steps?
9. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
10. What caused the U.S.-Sino relationship to revert to its starting point?
Essay Topic 1
Explain in details Deng's modernization of China. How did Deng make China a viable country in the global market place? What were his plans? Were all of them successful? What were the biggest changes? How have Deng's changes affected today's China? What other things might Deng have accomplished if he had stayed in office? Do you agree with Deng's choice to retire?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast China and Thailand regarding the Mandate of Heaven and autonomy. Where does Thailand currently stand on Communism?
Essay Topic 3
How might the Sino-American relationship have developed or changed if Richard Nixon had not been forced to resign? What did the Chinese think of the impeachment? How did it affect China's view of the United States? What was Kissinger's role in Sino-American relations after Nixon left office?
This section contains 2,124 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)