|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forces from which country were in place in which location at this time?
2. The Chinese referred to the British as ____.
3. The ____ Emperor is considered to be the founder of China.
4. China has produced a greater share of total world GDP than any Western civilization in ____ of the last 20 centuries.
5. The Chinese fired upon the contingency from which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
2. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
3. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
4. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
5. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
6. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
7. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
8. How does Kissinger address the history of the Chinese-Indian borders?
9. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
10. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in details Deng's modernization of China. How did Deng make China a viable country in the global market place? What were his plans? Were all of them successful? What were the biggest changes? How have Deng's changes affected today's China? What other things might Deng have accomplished if he had stayed in office? Do you agree with Deng's choice to retire?
Essay Topic 2
Confucius was a little-realized prophet, poet, and philosopher during his time. Posthumously, Confucius' words would help to form a nation that would become one of the world's superpowers. Discuss Confucius. What was his role in the Chinese government? How was Confucius' work viewed during his life? Why did it take generations for Confucius' work to become revered? How is it viewed today?
Essay Topic 3
China always saw itself as a superior country in both power and culture. Examine this mentality. What gave China the impression that it was superior? Was it superior? How did it show this superiority over its enemies? How did other countries view this standpoint? Explain.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)