|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. China often referred to itself as the "Most ____ Nation."
2. What word is best used to describe Li Hongzhang?
3. In the early years China often exchanged good with which country?
4. During which period did the decline take place?
5. Which country initiated the treaty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
2. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
3. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
4. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
5. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
6. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
7. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
8. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
9. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
10. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mao. Why is Mao a controversial figure? What was Kissinger's opinion of Mao? How did the Chinese people view Mao? Why was he called "Chairman Mao?" Were Kissinger's personal feelings different from his professional view of Mao? What was the relationship between Kissinger and Mao? Discuss the same questions regarding Kissinger and Zhou.
Essay Topic 2
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
China and the United States were trying to work closely with the Soviet Union during the downfall of Communism. Did the U.S. and China know that Communism was about the fall? Did they know that the Soviet Union would soon cease to exist? How would they be able to work with the new Russia? How did it affect foreign policy and globalization?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)