|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ____ Emperor is considered to be the founder of China.
2. One of the great wars in China revolved around which drug?
3. The Chinese fired upon the contingency from which location?
4. The treaty allowed a permanent ____ to be established in Beijing.
5. Which country was not referred to in this plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
2. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
3. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
4. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
5. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
6. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
7. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
8. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
9. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
10. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the long and illustrious career of Henry Kissinger. How effective was Kissinger as Secretary of State? What are the man's opinions about the modern state of affairs between the United States and China? What else has Kissinger done in government? When did he retire? What other books have been written by Kissinger?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast China and Thailand regarding the Mandate of Heaven and autonomy. Where does Thailand currently stand on Communism?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think was the most effective leader in Chinese history? Which was the best? Which was the worst? How might a leader like Qing fare in the modern world? How do Mao, Qing, Deng and Zhou compare? Which was the most powerful? Which was the most successful?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)