|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country attempted to invade China from the north and west to claim dominance over the country's high lands?
2. This strategy was put into place by which of the following?
3. Which is not one of the nomadic groups mentioned?
4. The treaty allowed a permanent ____ to be established in Beijing.
5. Who was considered to be China's principal threat at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
2. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
3. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
4. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
5. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
6. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
7. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
8. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
9. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
10. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kissinger writes that the basic concept of foreign policy is that a country must be able to develop a dialogue with other countries in order to have the world succeed as a unit. This is even more important in this time of globalization as countries are expected to work together to strengthen a world economy. Why is this important? Why must the United States devote so much time and money to foreign policy? How does it affect globalization? How does it affect the United States economy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in details Deng's modernization of China. How did Deng make China a viable country in the global market place? What were his plans? Were all of them successful? What were the biggest changes? How have Deng's changes affected today's China? What other things might Deng have accomplished if he had stayed in office? Do you agree with Deng's choice to retire?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)