|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. China is referred to as being a ____ society.
2. The Chinese managed to pit which two countries against each other in Manchuria?
3. China has produced a greater share of total world GDP than any Western civilization in ____ of the last 20 centuries.
4. Which American political scientist is mentioned?
5. Forces from which country were in place in which location at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
2. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
3. What forum did Deng choose to say goodbye to his people?
4. How did China change in the first two decades after it became a Republic?
5. How did the changes in government personnel change Sino-United States. relationships?
6. How did Mao combat his weakened position in the triumvirate?
7. What does Kissinger say about foreign policy and the actions of the statesmen? How did Mao fit into this mold?
8. What major event occurred in 1989 when the Communist Party divided?
9. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
10. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
Essay Topic 1
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in details Deng's modernization of China. How did Deng make China a viable country in the global market place? What were his plans? Were all of them successful? What were the biggest changes? How have Deng's changes affected today's China? What other things might Deng have accomplished if he had stayed in office? Do you agree with Deng's choice to retire?
Essay Topic 3
"A special feature of Chinese civilization is that it seems to have no beginning. It appears in history less as a conventional nation-state than a permanent natural phenomenon. In the tale of the Yellow Emperor, revered by many Chinese as the legendary founding ruler, China seems already to exist. When the Yellow Emperor appears in myth, Chinese civilization has fallen into chaos. Competing princes harass each other and the people, yet an enfeebled ruler fails to maintain order. Levying an army, the new hero pacifies the realm and is acclaimed as emperor." (Chap. 1, p. 20)
What is meant by this statement? Why is the Yellow Emperor seen as a myth? Why did China need a new hero? Why does this undocumented history make China special?
This section contains 2,193 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)