|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The treaty allowed a permanent ____ to be established in Beijing.
2. Count _____ Ignatieff served as the Czar's brilliant and devious young plenipotentiary.
3. China often referred to itself as the "Most ____ Nation."
4. What is the ruling philosophy of China?
5. In what year did the French Jesuit Jean-Baptiste Du Halde write about China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
2. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
3. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
4. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
5. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
6. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
7. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
8. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
9. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
10. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might world order have changed if Japan and China had formed into one super power? How might the world order have changed if the United States, Russia, and China were able to remain a triumvirate? What is the current relationship between China and Japan? Which is currently the strongest country? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the long and illustrious career of Henry Kissinger. How effective was Kissinger as Secretary of State? What are the man's opinions about the modern state of affairs between the United States and China? What else has Kissinger done in government? When did he retire? What other books have been written by Kissinger?
Essay Topic 3
China always saw itself as a superior country in both power and culture. Examine this mentality. What gave China the impression that it was superior? Was it superior? How did it show this superiority over its enemies? How did other countries view this standpoint? Explain.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)