|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year B.C. did the Chinese unification take place?
2. Which country initiated the treaty?
3. China saw itself as being in the center of the world and often referred to itself as the _____.
4. Which major Chinese city was first visited by Kissinger?
5. In what month was the meeting called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
2. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
3. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
4. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
5. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
6. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
7. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
8. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
9. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
10. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 2
Chinese had an idea of how to get ahead in foreign trade. This included cornering the market in four main areas. What were those areas? What products were thought to be the most important? Why? How does foreign trade with China help/hinder the United States market? What is your opinion on how the United States should advance in the global trade market?
Essay Topic 3
Mao and other Chinese leaders focused heavily on the nomadic territories to the north. Why were border wars so important? How did the presence of the nomads help/hinder the conflict between China and the Soviet Union? Who won the conflict?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)