|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the new ministry?
2. In 1820, China produced ____ of the world GDP.
3. Which country was not referred to in this plan?
4. China often referred to itself as the "Most ____ Nation."
5. China saw itself as being in the center of the world and often referred to itself as the _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
2. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
3. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
4. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
5. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
6. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
7. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
8. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
9. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
10. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The United Nations was formed to work as an intermediary between countries and to create a body through which these countries could communicate and, hopefully, cooperate on global issues. Write an essay on the United Nations, its role in Sino and United States negotiations and how it has changed since its inception.
Essay Topic 2
Confucius was a little-realized prophet, poet, and philosopher during his time. Posthumously, Confucius' words would help to form a nation that would become one of the world's superpowers. Discuss Confucius. What was his role in the Chinese government? How was Confucius' work viewed during his life? Why did it take generations for Confucius' work to become revered? How is it viewed today?
Essay Topic 3
Chinese had an idea of how to get ahead in foreign trade. This included cornering the market in four main areas. What were those areas? What products were thought to be the most important? Why? How does foreign trade with China help/hinder the United States market? What is your opinion on how the United States should advance in the global trade market?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)