|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. China underwent a "century of _____" before giving into national communism.
2. A tribute system was developed in the _____ Islands.
3. Who was China's leader at the time?
4. This strategy was put into place by which of the following?
5. The Chinese fired upon the contingency from which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
2. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
3. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
4. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
5. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
6. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
7. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
8. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
9. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
10. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kissinger writes that the basic concept of foreign policy is that a country must be able to develop a dialogue with other countries in order to have the world succeed as a unit. This is even more important in this time of globalization as countries are expected to work together to strengthen a world economy. Why is this important? Why must the United States devote so much time and money to foreign policy? How does it affect globalization? How does it affect the United States economy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sun Tzu is one of the most legendary Chinese figures, particularly when it comes to the Art of War. Write an essay on Sun Tzu, his teachings and beliefs, and his impact on war in China.
Essay Topic 3
Confucius was a little-realized prophet, poet, and philosopher during his time. Posthumously, Confucius' words would help to form a nation that would become one of the world's superpowers. Discuss Confucius. What was his role in the Chinese government? How was Confucius' work viewed during his life? Why did it take generations for Confucius' work to become revered? How is it viewed today?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)