|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Prince quote an ancient Chinese saying: "Resort to peace and _____ when temporarily obliged to do so; use war and defense as your actual policy."
2. The high point of the _____ Dynasty was also the turning point for China.
3. Which rebellion began in the 1850s?
4. Which country joined Britain at this point?
5. The Manchu Heartland is located in ____ China.
Short Answer Questions
1. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
2. One of the great wars in China revolved around which drug?
3. In which year did China's leader summon his top military personnel to Beijing?
4. When was the Han Dynasty?
5. In what year did Zheng He's expeditions stop abruptly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
2. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
3. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
4. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
5. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
6. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
7. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
8. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
9. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
10. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)