|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had the conflict been going on?
(a) 70 years.
(b) 40 years.
(c) 60 years.
(d) 50 years.
2. In the early years China often exchanged good with which country?
3. Which American political scientist is mentioned?
4. China saw itself as being in the center of the world and often referred to itself as the _____.
(a) Middle Kingdom.
(c) World's Blood.
5. The treaty also permitted travel on which river?
(a) Irtysh Irtysh.
Short Answer Questions
1. During which period did the decline take place?
2. Which method was adopted officially in the People's Republic of China in 1979 ?
3. By 1860, the Russians had been in Beijing for ____ years.
4. Before the _____ War, China saw diplomacy and international trade as a way to express its preeminence.
5. What was the name of the Emperor's half-brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
2. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
3. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
4. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
5. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
6. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
7. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
8. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
9. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
10. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)