|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the early years China often exchanged good with which country?
2. Which country joined Britain at this point?
3. Thirty years later, French political economist _____ expanded on Jean-Baptiste Du Halde's work.
4. Count _____ Ignatieff served as the Czar's brilliant and devious young plenipotentiary.
5. The Prince quote an ancient Chinese saying: "Resort to peace and _____ when temporarily obliged to do so; use war and defense as your actual policy."
Short Answer Questions
1. The ministry's new name translated into:
2. The ____ Emperor is considered to be the founder of China.
3. The Chinese managed to pit which two countries against each other in Manchuria?
4. How long had the conflict been going on?
5. The Chinese referred to the British as ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kissinger address the history of the Chinese-Indian borders?
2. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
3. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
4. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
5. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
6. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
7. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
8. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
9. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
10. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)