|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "tian xia" mean?
(a) United we stand.
(b) Together in faith.
(c) All under Heaven.
(d) Only one Emperor.
2. Which method was adopted officially in the People's Republic of China in 1979 ?
3. In what year did the "Plans for a Maritime Defense" go into effect?
4. In what year did the French Jesuit Jean-Baptiste Du Halde write about China?
5. In what year was the Treaty of Tianjin signed?
Short Answer Questions
1. China is referred to as being a ____ society.
2. What is the ruling philosophy of China?
3. Which method is used to translate Chinese close to the Roman alphabet?
4. One of the great wars in China revolved around which drug?
5. Who was China's leader at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
2. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
3. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
4. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
5. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
6. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
7. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
8. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
9. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
10. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)