|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was considered to be China's principal threat at this time?
2. By 1860, the Russians had been in Beijing for ____ years.
3. What word is best used to describe China's cultural and political situation?
4. In 1859, Frederick ____ arrived in Beijing.
5. Who was China's leader at the time?
(a) Mao Zedong.
(b) Chiang Kai-Shek.
(c) Lin Sen.
(d) Ma Ying-Jeou.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chinese learned to play the ____ off one another.
2. A tribute system was developed in the _____ Islands.
3. Count _____ Ignatieff served as the Czar's brilliant and devious young plenipotentiary.
4. What was the name of the new ministry?
5. One of the great wars in China revolved around which drug?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
2. How and why does Kissinger compare Confucius to Machiavelli?
3. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
4. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
5. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
6. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
7. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
8. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
9. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
10. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)