|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word is best used to describe Li Hongzhang?
2. The ____ Emperor is considered to be the founder of China.
3. What word is best used to describe China's cultural and political situation?
4. Who is the ancient sage often referred to in the text?
5. China saw itself as being in the center of the world and often referred to itself as the _____.
(c) Middle Kingdom.
(d) World's Blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. During which period did the decline take place?
2. Which country joined Britain at this point?
3. Kissinger compares the unification to which European treaty in 1648?
4. The Chinese fired upon the contingency from which location?
5. In which year was a letter dispatched from China to the US?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
2. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
3. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
4. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
5. How does Kissinger address the history of the Chinese-Indian borders?
6. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
7. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
8. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
9. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
10. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)