|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month was the meeting called?
2. What is Kissinger's first name?
3. How many times has Kissinger visited China?
4. This strategy was put into place by which of the following?
(a) Mao Zedong.
(b) Wei Yuan.
(c) Lin Sen.
(d) Chiang Kai-Shek.
5. Thirty years later, French political economist _____ expanded on Jean-Baptiste Du Halde's work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country attempted to invade China from the north and west to claim dominance over the country's high lands?
2. The treaty allowed a permanent ____ to be established in Beijing.
3. Which country was not referred to in this plan?
4. Mao once claimed that the population of China declined from 50 million to ____ million.
5. Traditionally, China did not on technology or military power but relied upon two of its most deeply traditional resources: the analytical abilities of its diplomats, and the endurance and ____________ of its people.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did China perceive Europe? What was Britain's goal?
2. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
3. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
4. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
5. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
6. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
7. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
8. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
9. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
10. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)