|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1860, the Russians had been in Beijing for ____ years.
2. In what year did the "Plans for a Maritime Defense" go into effect?
3. Count _____ Ignatieff served as the Czar's brilliant and devious young plenipotentiary.
4. Which American political scientist is mentioned?
5. The Chinese referred to the British as ____.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Manchu Heartland is located in ____ China.
2. When was the Han Dynasty?
3. In which year did China's leader summon his top military personnel to Beijing?
4. In 1820, China produced ____ of the world GDP.
5. China often referred to itself as the "Most ____ Nation."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
2. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
3. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
4. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
5. What did China do to combat the threats from the Europeans?
6. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
7. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
8. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
9. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
10. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)