|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chinese learned to play the ____ off one another.
2. What is the ruling philosophy of China?
(a) Imperial rule.
(b) Honor before self.
(c) Know thyself.
(d) Mandate of Heaven.
3. The treaty also permitted travel on which river?
(a) Irtysh Irtysh.
4. Which is not one of the countries mentioned as a location in China's periphery?
(b) Hong Kong.
5. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "tian xia" mean?
2. What word is best used to describe China's cultural and political situation?
3. Who was China's leader at the time?
4. China has produced a greater share of total world GDP than any Western civilization in ____ of the last 20 centuries.
5. Which country attempted to invade China from the north and west to claim dominance over the country's high lands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
2. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
3. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
4. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
5. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
6. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
7. Who would be put in charge of the new system that would replace Qing?
8. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
9. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
10. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)