|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was considered to be China's principal threat at this time?
2. How many times has Kissinger visited China?
3. What does "tian xia" mean?
(a) Together in faith.
(b) Only one Emperor.
(c) United we stand.
(d) All under Heaven.
4. By 1860, the Russians had been in Beijing for ____ years.
5. In the early years China often exchanged good with which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Forces from which country were in place in which location at this time?
2. The treaty also permitted travel on which river?
3. What is the ruling philosophy of China?
4. The treaty allowed a permanent ____ to be established in Beijing.
5. What word is best used to describe China's cultural and political situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Nian Rebellion? When did it occur? Who took over the government?
2. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
3. According to Kissinger, the tale of the Yellow Emperor is the beginning of China as an entity. However, in Chinese legend, although no other history exists, the Yellow Emperor appears to have arrived to save China. What is the legend?
4. How did the Japanese culture compare and contrast to the Chinese culture?
5. The culmination of Chinese warring was two and a half centuries of turmoil. To what does Kissinger compare this era?
6. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
7. Who was Wei Yuan? When did he live? What was his major work? What did the work contain?
8. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
9. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
10. What was the Taiping Rebellion? When did it take place?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)