|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the French Jesuit Jean-Baptiste Du Halde write about China?
2. In what year B.C. did the Chinese unification take place?
3. In what year did the "Plans for a Maritime Defense" go into effect?
4. Which country initiated the treaty?
(a) United States.
5. How long had the conflict been going on?
(a) 60 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 40 years.
(d) 70 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which major Chinese city was first visited by Kissinger?
2. In what year did Zheng He's expeditions stop abruptly?
3. During which period did the decline take place?
4. The Manchu Heartland is located in ____ China.
5. By this time it is believed that China had survived for ____ years.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Fang Lizhi? What was his role in politics?
2. Why were the Chinese approached by the "red-haired barbarians" of Britain in regards to free trade?
3. Kissinger asks the question: "Can strategic trust replace a system of strategic threats?" What are his thoughts on the topic?
4. What did China do to compete with Japan and Russia? When did the Chinese realize that they were not all powerful?
5. What unusual step did Deng take after Tiananmen?
6. What were the The Qiying-Pottinger negotiations? What did the negotiations change between China and the West?
7. What was the relationship between China and Taiwan at this time?
8. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
9. What was Deng's message regarding foreign investment?
10. Kissinger discusses the death of two major Chinese leaders. Who were they? When did they die?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)