|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A tribute system was developed in the _____ Islands.
2. In what year was the Treaty of Tianjin signed?
3. What was the name of the new ministry?
(a) Yuhan Wei Yamen Shiwu .
(b) Shiwu Zongli Geguo Yamen.
(c) Yamen Li Weishe Shiwu .
(d) Zongli Geguo Shiwu Yamen.
4. Which American political scientist is mentioned?
5. Which is not one of the nomadic groups mentioned?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was president of the United States at that time?
2. In the early years China often exchanged good with which country?
3. Traditionally, China did not on technology or military power but relied upon two of its most deeply traditional resources: the analytical abilities of its diplomats, and the endurance and ____________ of its people.
4. The treaty allowed a permanent ____ to be established in Beijing.
5. What word is best used to describe China's cultural and political situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the first appearance of Chinese characters as they came into being.
2. At its peak, what was the size and scope of the Chinese empire?
3. What was Prince Gong's plan? Who emulated Prince Gong's work?
4. Abbé Régis-Evariste Huc made observations about China. What did Huc write?
5. The Chinese are very involved in strategy. Examine the Chinese use of strategy and the types of games in which it is employed.
6. What was Kissinger's opening explanation of his time in China?
7. How does the existence and myth of the Yellow Emperor relate to the history of Confucius?
8. Discuss China's long experience with naval expeditions and exploits.
9. What does Kissinger say about the beginning of the decline of China?
10. How does Kissinger explain the Nian Rebellion?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)