|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Traditionally, China did not on technology or military power but relied upon two of its most deeply traditional resources: the analytical abilities of its diplomats, and the endurance and ____________ of its people.
(b) Inner warriors.
(d) Cultural confidence.
2. The treaty allowed a permanent ____ to be established in Beijing.
(a) U.S. presence.
(b) Military base.
3. China is referred to as being a ____ society.
4. China often referred to itself as the "Most ____ Nation."
5. Which country attempted to invade China from the north and west to claim dominance over the country's high lands?
6. Which country joined Britain at this point?
7. What word is best used to describe China's cultural and political situation?
8. The ministry's new name translated into:
(a) Office for the General Supervision of Ambassadorships.
(b) Office for the General Management of Diplomacy.
(c) Office for the General Management of the Affairs of All Nations.
(d) Office for the International Trade.
9. In 1820, China produced ____ of the world GDP.
10. In which year did China's leader summon his top military personnel to Beijing?
11. Which is not one of the countries mentioned as a location in China's periphery?
(b) Hong Kong.
12. What was the name of the Emperor's half-brother?
(a) Prince Mei.
(b) Prince Gong.
(c) Prince Yuan.
(d) Prince Qi.
13. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
14. What other country was a part of the Sinocentric world?
15. By 1860, the Russians had been in Beijing for ____ years.
Short Answer Questions
1. The treaty also permitted travel on which river?
2. Mao once claimed that the population of China declined from 50 million to ____ million.
3. The Count managed to open Urga, which is located in which region?
4. In what year was the Treaty of Tianjin signed?
5. In what year did the French Jesuit Jean-Baptiste Du Halde write about China?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)