|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which rebellion began in the 1850s?
2. One of the great wars in China revolved around which drug?
3. The treaty also permitted travel on which river?
(b) Irtysh Irtysh.
4. China underwent a "century of _____" before giving into national communism.
5. The Chinese referred to the British as ____.
6. Who is the ancient sage often referred to in the text?
7. The treaty allowed a permanent ____ to be established in Beijing.
(a) U.S. presence.
(b) Military base.
8. Before the _____ War, China saw diplomacy and international trade as a way to express its preeminence.
(b) First World.
(c) Second World.
9. In 1859, Frederick ____ arrived in Beijing.
10. Which method is used to translate Chinese close to the Roman alphabet?
11. What was the name of the new ministry?
(a) Yamen Li Weishe Shiwu .
(b) Zongli Geguo Shiwu Yamen.
(c) Yuhan Wei Yamen Shiwu .
(d) Shiwu Zongli Geguo Yamen.
12. Traditionally, China did not on technology or military power but relied upon two of its most deeply traditional resources: the analytical abilities of its diplomats, and the endurance and ____________ of its people.
(a) Inner warriors.
(c) Cultural confidence.
13. A new gap in authority began to appear after the occurrence of the Qiying-_______ negotiations.
14. In what year was the Treaty of Tianjin signed?
15. The Chinese learned to play the ____ off one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not one of the nomadic groups mentioned?
2. The first major attempt to right things with China was led by Britain's Lord George ______.
3. China has produced a greater share of total world GDP than any Western civilization in ____ of the last 20 centuries.
4. What was the name of the Emperor's half-brother?
5. A tribute system was developed in the _____ Islands.
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)