|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, the writer describes his previous employment and attitude toward the job and the people he worked with. After going through this explanation, what does he say about this description?
2. What does the writer say man is in the eyes of nature?
3. What does the writer say man is trying to do?
4. What type of death does the writer say would be a delight?
5. The writer describes a man who knew every thing about Chateau-Lafite. How does the writer say this man dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the writer think is the purpose of intelligence?
2. Why does the writer think man sometimes desires nonsense?
3. What does the writer think is a perfect description for man?
4. Why does the writer feel men take revenge?
5. The writer expresses his feelings on why the reader may think he is writing about men of action. What does he say about what the reader may think of his writings?
6. In the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 3, the writer poses a question about revenge. How does he state that men are able to take revenge on another?
7. How does the writer feel about this excuse for revenge and what justification does he state would lead his to revenge?
8. The writer states the continual fighting seen throughout the ages is a display of what character flaw of man?
9. What does the writer state these men think about their own groaning?
10. The writer refers to the "beautiful and sublime". What exactly is this in reference to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writer states that he is envious of the normal man. Do you think the writer is a normal man? Why? Why does the writer not feel he is a normal man? What is it about the normal man that the writer is envious of?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 1, Chapter 5, the writer states that he participates in self-degradation in lieu of boredom. Provide examples of this. Do you think the writer does this to fight his boredom or could there be other reasons? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What character is the writer most like in the book? Provide details supporting your answer.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)