|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer describe St. Petersburg?
2. Why would the writer confess to wrongdoing when he is innocent?
3. What is the human characteristic based on?
4. How does the writer describe the groans of a toothache?
5. How does the writer feel about a man of action?
Short Essay Questions
1. The writer states the continual fighting seen throughout the ages is a display of what character flaw of man?
2. How does the writer explain the reason for man of action being a dull-witted person?
3. Who does the writer say will submit to the wall?
4. What type of man makes the writer envious?
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, the writer provides the reader with a self description. How does the writer describe himself?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 8, the writer attributes many qualities to mankind. Does he finish with any specific conclusion of man, and if so ,what?
7. How does the writer describe his servant?
8. Discuss the writer's profession and his feelings about his work.
9. What does the writer think is the purpose of intelligence?
10. Why does the writer quit working?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writer discusses men of action. What does he say about men of action? How does he feel about these men? Does he think of himself as a man of action? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
All stories have conflict. Describe the type or types of conflict expressed in this story and if or how they are resolved by the end of the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Underground? How long has the writer lived in the Underground? Are there others living in the Underground? What do you think the Underground represents to the writer?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)