|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the writer admits that spite may not provide a valid reason for revenge, why does he then say this might occur?
2. How does the writer feel about a man of action?
3. What does the writer regret not doing more of in his life?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, the writer again discusses the wall and suggests how various types of people may perceive the wall. What does he say that some people do when they are faced with the wall?
5. The writer eventually comes to terms with his illness. As he does so, what does he decide about the illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the writer say man will and will not be able to do if these formulas exist?
2. In his conversation about the formula of determining free will and desire, what does the writer suppose would explain actions if such a formula did in fact exist?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 8, the writer attributes many qualities to mankind. Does he finish with any specific conclusion of man, and if so ,what?
4. What does the writer think is a perfect description for man?
5. What does the writer think is the purpose of intelligence?
6. How does the writer describe his servant?
7. What type of man makes the writer envious?
8. In the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 3, the writer poses a question about revenge. How does he state that men are able to take revenge on another?
9. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, the writer provides the reader with a self description. How does the writer describe himself?
10. What does the writer say taking revenge does to a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Underground? How long has the writer lived in the Underground? Are there others living in the Underground? What do you think the Underground represents to the writer?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2 of the book, the writer often refers to the snow. What does the snow represent to or say about the writer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)