|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, the writer again discusses the wall and suggests how various types of people may perceive the wall. What does he say that some people do when they are faced with the wall?
2. In Part I, Chapter 1, what does the writer say about himself?
3. What does the writer compare his writings to?
4. While the writer explains man's reasoning for taking revenge, why can he himself not seek revenge?
5. What does the writer question regarding a character trait when a man experiences self humiliation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
2. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
3. Why does the writer think man sometimes desires nonsense?
4. The writer refers to the "beautiful and sublime". What exactly is this in reference to?
5. How does the writer explain the reason for man of action being a dull-witted person?
6. Who does the writer say will submit to the wall?
7. In his conversation about the formula of determining free will and desire, what does the writer suppose would explain actions if such a formula did in fact exist?
8. What does the writer say taking revenge does to a man?
9. How does the writer continue to explain a man of action's seemingly dull-witted actions and justifications?
10. What is Apollon's reaction to the writer when he is asked to go to the tavern for tea and biscuits?
Essay Topic 1
The writer states that he is envious of the normal man. Do you think the writer is a normal man? Why? Why does the writer not feel he is a normal man? What is it about the normal man that the writer is envious of?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 1, Chapter 5, the writer seems very concerned about making the distinction between intelligent and unintelligent people. Discuss the writer's view on intelligent versus unintelligent people. How does he distinguish them? How does he feel about each? How does the writer view himself in this regard?
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)