|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The writer states that man could not act against his own personal advantage. What, therefore, must his actions be?
2. What does the writer say being too conscious is?
3. How long does the writer state his toothache lasts?
4. Why does the writer want to continue living?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 3, the writer again discusses the wall and suggests how various types of people may perceive the wall. What does he say that some people do when they are faced with the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the writer, what is the difference between reason and desire?
2. Why does the writer think man sometimes desires nonsense?
3. The writer expresses his feelings on why the reader may think he is writing about men of action. What does he say about what the reader may think of his writings?
4. Discuss the writer's profession and his feelings about his work.
5. What type of man makes the writer envious?
6. In his conversation about the formula of determining free will and desire, what does the writer suppose would explain actions if such a formula did in fact exist?
7. How does the writer feel about this excuse for revenge and what justification does he state would lead his to revenge?
8. How does the writer turn a negative characteristic such as laziness into a positive characteristic?
9. What does the writer say man will and will not be able to do if these formulas exist?
10. What does the writer say about a person who groans with pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writer discusses men of action. What does he say about men of action? How does he feel about these men? Does he think of himself as a man of action? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are striking similarities between the writer and Liza. Discuss these similarities and how they affect the writer. Does the writer feel a connection with Liza and if so, does he accept it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)