|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer say about the man who groans from a toothache for more than three or four days?
2. What does a sense of revenge do to a man?
3. In Part 1, what does the writer state is his profession?
4. When the writer states that there is something wrong with his liver, why does he refuse to go to a doctor?
5. What does the writer question regarding a character trait when a man experiences self humiliation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the writer state is the antithesis of a normal person?
2. Why does the writer feel men take revenge?
3. What does the writer's self description tell the reader about this character?
4. What does the writer say taking revenge does to a man?
5. How does the writer describe his servant?
6. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, the writer provides the reader with a self description. How does the writer describe himself?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 8, the writer attributes many qualities to mankind. Does he finish with any specific conclusion of man, and if so ,what?
8. What does the writer think will happen if scientists find a formula that predicts where desires originate?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 7, the writer discusses human advantage. According to the writer what is the main premise of human advantage?
10. How does the writer turn a negative characteristic such as laziness into a positive characteristic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writer discusses men of action. What does he say about men of action? How does he feel about these men? Does he think of himself as a man of action? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Underground? How long has the writer lived in the Underground? Are there others living in the Underground? What do you think the Underground represents to the writer?
Essay Topic 3
Qhat point do you consider the climax of this story? Support your answer with significant events leading up to this point.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)