|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer regret not doing more of in his life?
2. Why does the writer say a man cannot change, even if he tries?
3. Who does the writer say would not understand the feelings of men about their decisions?
4. Under what condition would a man only have to sleep, eat, and complain?
5. How does the writer describe a man of action?
Short Essay Questions
1. The writer states the continual fighting seen throughout the ages is a display of what character flaw of man?
2. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
3. Who does the writer say will submit to the wall?
4. How does the writer turn a negative characteristic such as laziness into a positive characteristic?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 8, the writer attributes many qualities to mankind. Does he finish with any specific conclusion of man, and if so ,what?
7. Why does the writer state that in his life he often takes insignificant roles?
8. According to the writer, what is the difference between reason and desire?
9. How does the writer feel about this excuse for revenge and what justification does he state would lead his to revenge?
10. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Underground? How long has the writer lived in the Underground? Are there others living in the Underground? What do you think the Underground represents to the writer?
Essay Topic 2
When the writer wakes up next to Liza, he is disgusted and begins to yell at her. Discuss this tirade. Do you think he is disgusted at Liza because she is a prostitute or at himself? What is the result of the writer's tirade?
Essay Topic 3
All stories have conflict. Describe the type or types of conflict expressed in this story and if or how they are resolved by the end of the story.
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)