|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer say all men must accept?
2. The writer eventually comes to terms with his illness. As he does so, what does he decide about the illness?
3. What does a sense of revenge do to a man?
4. What is the human characteristic based on?
5. How does the writer feel about a man of action?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 3, the writer poses a question about revenge. How does he state that men are able to take revenge on another?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 8, the writer attributes many qualities to mankind. Does he finish with any specific conclusion of man, and if so ,what?
3. Why does the writer quit working?
4. How does the writer explain the reason for man of action being a dull-witted person?
5. What does the writer say about a person who groans with pain?
6. How does the writer turn a negative characteristic such as laziness into a positive characteristic?
7. What does the writer say man will and will not be able to do if these formulas exist?
8. The writer states the continual fighting seen throughout the ages is a display of what character flaw of man?
9. Discuss the writer's profession and his feelings about his work.
10. Who does the writer state is the antithesis of a normal person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 1, Chapter 8, the writer fantasizes about a formula for the desires of man. What does he say would happen to free will if such a formula existed and how do you think he feels about this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss who the writer is writing to. Does he anticipate others to read his notes? Does he withhold any information in fear that someone will read his notes? What does this style of narration add to or take away from the story?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)