|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Liza from?
(b) The writer's hometown.
2. How does the writer describe his face?
(a) With a mean look.
3. In Part 2, Liza visits the writer at his home. Upset by this, how does the writer say he would take revenge on his visitor?
(a) By not speaking.
(b) By killing the visitor.
(c) By forcing the visitor to listen to his meaningless ramblings.
(d) By kicking the visitor out.
4. Who sits to the left of the writer at the dinner party?
5. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
(a) The establishment is closed.
(b) The others are gone.
(c) Only Zverkov remains.
(d) The others are talking and laughing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer describe Liza's embrace at the end of the book?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, the writer arrives early to a dinner party. What time is the dinner scheduled to begin?
3. What does the writer say about Russian romantics?
4. What do the writer's colleagues think of him?
5. What does the writer say about those in other countries with regard to romanticism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the characteristics of a romantic, according to the writer.
2. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
3. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
4. After the writer has finished his speech to Liza, he turns to leave. Before he goes, she gives him a letter to read. Who was the letter from and what did it say?
5. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
6. Describe the apartment of Anton Antonych.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
8. What does the writer find when he arrives at the dinner party and how does he feel about it?
9. What is Apollon's reaction to the writer when he is asked to go to the tavern for tea and biscuits?
10. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)