|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 9, the writer begins a speech about why he goes to see Liza. What does the writer say Liza's thought's for his visit are?
(a) To take revenge.
(b) To save her.
(c) To redeem himself.
(d) To find love.
2. How does the writer describe the feelings of his visitor in Part 2, Chapter 9?
(c) In love.
3. What does the writer do during the toast to Zverkov?
(b) Drinks before the toast is completed.
(c) Shouts "Hurrah!" with the the others.
(d) Smashes his glass.
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer has left the dinner and is outside. How does he describe the snow?
(b) Almost warm.
5. How much does the writer owe Simonov in this section?
(a) 5 roubles.
(b) 10 roubles
(c) 15 roubles.
(d) 6 roubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer ask Apollon to get for him at the tavern?
2. Who comes to the writer's home that causes these feelings?
3. During this time in the writer's life, he states that he is tormented. Why is he tormented?
4. What justification does the writer give for his behavior?
5. What is the writer certain Liza will do with a letter she receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
3. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
4. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
5. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
6. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
7. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
8. Describe the characteristics of a romantic, according to the writer.
9. How does the writer describe the room he finds himself in after being drunk at the dinner party?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)