|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What human condition does the writer state he cannot express?
2. What is the purpose of the dinner party?
(a) One of the firends is going on a journey.
(b) To visit with the writer, whom the others had not see in years.
(c) It is a weekly event.
(d) To celebrate the promotion of one of the friends.
3. What does Ferfichkin say he would have done if he was early for the dinner?
(a) Filed a complaint with the establishment.
(c) Waited patiently.
(d) Ordered something.
4. How does the writer feel after leaving Liza?
5. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
(a) Because she laughs at him.
(b) Because she is a prostitute.
(c) Because she is kind to him.
(d) Because he lies to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just before the writer gets into the sleigh, what does he decide he must do?
2. How does the writer feel about the office clerks?
3. What does the writer write to Simonov as an excuse for his dinner behavior?
4. Who sits to the left of the writer at the dinner party?
5. What does the writer tell Apollon will happen if he does not appease his request?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
2. What does the writer compare Liza to and how does he explain that even this is better than being a prostitute?
3. Why does the writer state that in his life he often takes insignificant roles?
4. When Liza visits the writer at his home, the situation seems rather intense. What does the writer say that people often do in such situations?
5. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
6. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 9, when Liza goes to the writer's apartment, why does he think she becomes embarrassed?
8. Describe the apartment of Anton Antonych.
9. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
10. What is Apollon's reaction to the writer when he is asked to go to the tavern for tea and biscuits?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)