|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 9, the writer begins a speech about why he goes to see Liza. What does the writer say Liza's thought's for his visit are?
(a) To find love.
(b) To redeem himself.
(c) To take revenge.
(d) To save her.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 8, who delivers the writer's letter?
(c) The writer.
3. Which of the diners states that he almost got married two days before?
(b) The writer.
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer has left the dinner and is outside. How does he describe the snow?
(b) Almost warm.
5. As the dinner proceeds, how is the writer feeling?
(a) Crushed and broken.
(c) A part of the group.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer describe Liza's embrace at the end of the book?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
3. What is the writer certain Liza will do with a letter she receives?
4. What day does Anton allow visitors?
5. Despite what the writer wants to do during the dinner, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Liza visits the writer at his home, the situation seems rather intense. What does the writer say that people often do in such situations?
2. Why does the writer state that in his life he often takes insignificant roles?
3. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
4. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
5. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
6. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
7. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
9. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)