|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the writer say about Russian romantics?
(a) They are fools.
(b) They are wise men.
(c) They are always intelligent.
(d) They are uneducated.
2. As the diner conversation begins, how does the writer feel?
3. What does the writer tell Apollon will happen if he does not appease his request?
(a) The writer will be unhappy.
(b) The visitor will leave.
(c) He will be fired.
(d) The writer would understand.
4. What does Liza give the writer just before he leavesher?
(a) A flower.
(b) A cross.
(c) His money back.
(d) A love letter.
5. What does the writer state happens to stupid Russian romantics?
(a) They leave for France.
(b) They are not true romantics.
(c) They degenerate into Germans.
(d) They died off years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer give as his reason for visiting Liza?
2. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer describes the chiming of the clock. What state of mind does he say he is in at that time?
3. How does the writer feel about his schoolmate Zverkov?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 2, the writer discusses dreaming. How long does the writer dream in his corner?
5. What do the writer's old schoolmates think about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
2. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
3. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
4. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
6. Describe the apartment of Anton Antonych.
7. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
8. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
9. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)