|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the dinner proceeds, how is the writer feeling?
(b) Crushed and broken.
(d) A part of the group.
2. What is the writer certain Liza will do with a letter she receives?
(a) Preserve it forever.
(b) Frame it.
(c) Throw it away.
(d) Send it back.
3. After leaving his friend's home, how much does the writer pay for a cab ride?
(a) 25 copecks.
(b) 100 copecks.
(c) 50 copecks.
(d) 75 copecks.
4. What does Liza give the writer just before he leavesher?
(a) A cross.
(b) A flower.
(c) A love letter.
(d) His money back.
5. How does the writer describe his face?
(c) With a mean look.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would the writer lower his eyes when he comes in contact with the office clerks?
2. Who does the writer wake up next to at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
3. At what time does the writer arrive at the diner party?
4. In what is Zverkov an expert?
5. What do the writer's colleagues think of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
2. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
3. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
4. What does the writer find when he arrives at the dinner party and how does he feel about it?
5. How does the writer describe the room he finds himself in after being drunk at the dinner party?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
7. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
8. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer wakes up to a clock chiming. How does he describe the clock?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)