|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day does Anton allow visitors?
2. The previous night, the writer gives Liza his address, but by the next day, how does the writer feel about this action?
(a) He forgets about giving Liza his address.
(c) He anticipates her arrival.
(d) Worried she may show up at his home.
3. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he loves?
(b) Big talk.
4. What are Apollon's wages?
(a) 7 roubles.
(b) 25 roubles.
(c) 10 roubles.
(d) 15 roubles.
5. What does the writer give as his reason for visiting Liza?
(a) For revenge.
(b) To show his power.
(c) He is upset.
(d) He is drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
2. After many days pass and Liza does not show up, the writer begins having dreams about her. What is the tone of these dreams?
3. What does the writer say consumption is?
4. The day after the dinner party, the writer goes for a walk. At what time does he return home?
5. What does the writer say he would do if he sees Liza again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the characteristics of a romantic, according to the writer.
2. When Liza visits the writer at his home, the situation seems rather intense. What does the writer say that people often do in such situations?
3. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
4. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
6. How does the writer describe the room he finds himself in after being drunk at the dinner party?
7. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
8. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
9. What does the writer find when he arrives at the dinner party and how does he feel about it?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 9, when Liza goes to the writer's apartment, why does he think she becomes embarrassed?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)