|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the writer say happens to women for Liza's profession?
(a) The are beaten.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are honored.
(d) They suceed.
2. What has the writer forgotten about when he wakesup after his night of drinking?
(a) An important meeting.
(c) The cabby.
(d) The fight during dinner.
3. How does the writer feel about the office clerks?
(a) He despises them all.
(c) He never gets to know them.
(d) He enjoys their conversations.
4. What does the writer say he would do if he sees Liza again?
(a) Humiliate her.
(b) Ask her to marry him.
(c) Ask for forgivness.
(d) Tell her the truth about the evening they spent together.
5. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he hates?
(c) The unintelligent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Apollon's wages?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer has left the dinner and is outside. How does he describe the snow?
3. As the diner conversation begins, how does the writer feel?
4. What does the writer tell Apollon will happen if he does not appease his request?
5. How does the writer describe Liza's embrace at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
2. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
4. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
5. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
6. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
7. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
8. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
9. How does the writer try to cover up his feelings about Liza being at his apartment?
10. Why does the writer state that in his life he often takes insignificant roles?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)