|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the writer's colleagues think of him?
(c) An odd fellow.
2. Just before the writer gets into the sleigh, what does he decide he must do?
(a) Go back and slap Zverkov.
(b) Give back the six roubles.
(c) Ask the fare.
(d) Apologize to the group.
3. What effect does the writer's speech about Liza's life have on Liza?
(a) She become svery upset.
(b) She realizes that her life has meaning.
(c) She hates the writer.
(d) She knows she must change her life.
4. How does the writer feel about his dreams in this section?
(a) They are mysterious.
(b) They are frightening.
(c) They are profound.
(d) They are satisfing at the time.
5. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
(a) He is ugly.
(b) Because of his vanity.
(c) He is uneducated.
(d) He feels worthless.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 4, after the toasts, what does the writer do when he picks up the bottle?
2. How does the writer describe Liza's embrace at the end of the book?
3. What are Apollon's wages?
4. The previous night, the writer gives Liza his address, but by the next day, how does the writer feel about this action?
5. Why would the writer lower his eyes when he comes in contact with the office clerks?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the writer has finished his speech to Liza, he turns to leave. Before he goes, she gives him a letter to read. Who was the letter from and what did it say?
2. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
3. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
4. Describe the characteristics of a romantic, according to the writer.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
6. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
7. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 9, when Liza goes to the writer's apartment, why does he think she becomes embarrassed?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)