|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of act does the writer state everyone will commit and thus betray themselves?
(b) A kind act.
(c) A selfish act.
(d) A ludicrous act.
2. In Part 1, the writer describes his previous employment and attitude toward the job and the people he worked with. After going through this explanation, what does he say about this description?
(a) It is a lie out of spite.
(b) He should have acted more professional.
(c) He is satisified with his attitude.
(d) His attitude is the reason he got fired.
3. How big does the writer state his rational capacity is compared to his capacity to live?
(c) They are equal.
4. How does the writer feel his life would be if he lived as a man of action?
(a) More interesting.
(c) More difficult.
5. The writer discusses a pleasure that comes from his illness. From where does the pleasure stem?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, what does the writer state is his profession?
2. While the writer admits that spite may not provide a valid reason for revenge, why does he then say this might occur?
3. What does the writer say about the laws of mathematics and nature?
4. What does the writer regret not doing more of in his life?
5. What does the writer say irrationality stems from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the writer say about the families of men who continually groan with pain?
2. In his conversation about the formula of determining free will and desire, what does the writer suppose would explain actions if such a formula did in fact exist?
3. According to the writer, what is the difference between reason and desire?
4. Why does the writer feel men take revenge?
5. How does the writer continue to explain a man of action's seemingly dull-witted actions and justifications?
6. What does the writer think is the purpose of intelligence?
7. How does the writer describe his servant?
8. What type of man makes the writer envious?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 7, the writer discusses human advantage. According to the writer what is the main premise of human advantage?
10. Discuss the writer's profession and his feelings about his work.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)