|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters V, VI and VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The writer discusses a pleasure that comes from his illness. From where does the pleasure stem?
2. What does the writer say about the man who groans from a toothache for more than three or four days?
(a) He is eliciting sympathy.
(b) He is weak.
(c) He is truly in pain.
(d) His groans are out of spite.
3. How does the writer feel about a man of action?
(a) He despises him.
(b) He envies him.
(c) He feels there is no need for him.
(d) He feels sorry for him.
4. While the writer admits that spite may not provide a valid reason for revenge, why does he then say this might occur?
(a) Because spite is a chemical decomposition.
(b) He cannot blame anyone.
(c) He is tired of acting out of spite.
(d) The laws of nature rule out spite as a primary cause.
5. How does the writer describe the current state of the world?
(a) A time of vengeance.
(b) A time of forgiveness.
(c) A positive time.
(d) A negative time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer say about the offense he took for various things in his life?
2. What is the reason given for the writer's attitude and behavior in this profession?
3. What does the writer regret not doing more of in his life?
4. What does the writer say is the result of consciousness?
5. During Part 1, Chapter 6, the writer discusses what he would have done if he had a career. What is it that the writer would have liked to do?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)